The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: My own Nerf mod: CS-6 Longshot to Incinerator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:43 am 

Seeing others post their Nerf mods has drawn me out of my two years of lurking here to finally post something, and as luck would have it, it's a Nerf mod. I converted a Nerf CS-6 Longshot into an Incinerator type weapon. This is for a non-USCM project I am working on, but it is very much USCM inspired.

I painted the pilot light and incinerator nozzle and barrel area red so it will hopefully be easier seen as a prop type weapon, and plus, I figure a real incinerator might be painted with some red paint, either as a warning for hot areas or done in the field by the troops.

Here are some pictures:

Attachment:
April2010Incinerator1.JPG
April2010Incinerator1.JPG [ 71.65 KiB | Viewed 6218 times ]

Attachment:
April2010Incinerator2.JPG
April2010Incinerator2.JPG [ 73.3 KiB | Viewed 6218 times ]

Attachment:
April2010Incinerator3.JPG
April2010Incinerator3.JPG [ 74.73 KiB | Viewed 6218 times ]

Attachment:
April2010Incinerator4.JPG
April2010Incinerator4.JPG [ 80.86 KiB | Viewed 6218 times ]

I also uploaded a short video to YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx-tNefZWgI

As you can see (and hear) in the video, this has both light and sound effects. The pilot light has two LEDs in it wired to one of those circuit boards that simulate a flickering candle while the sound is a white noise circuit board, with the speaker mounted right behind the incinerator nozzle. The audio is pretty low, but if the weapon is pointed your way, you can hear a subtle hiss, designed to emulate the hiss of the pilot light. Now I know the pilot light piping is way to large, however, in my mind this weapon's pilot light can also act as a secondary weapon for overhead use to cover a larger area should this be inserted into a room or bunker.

The sliding top cover (where you unjam the regular Nerf gun) still works and holds the circuit boards and the 8 AA batteries they run off of. The gas bottle is removable via regular garden hose connectors, and I made a second bottle so the unit can be reloaded, however, the paint didn't stick so well to the second one so it has some battle damage. Even the incinerator has some battle damage where the Nerf logos were removed. Even with all the mods, you can still take apart the gun using the regular screws that hold together an unmodified Nerf gun. I also installed a switch near where a safety would be and inked in a plus and minus sign with a silver pen, but the switch is just for show. I also used the silver pen to write "CRISPY CRITTER" on one side and "Burned Fur" on the other, along with some minor detailing with the same pen and very light weathering which can't really be seen in the photos.

Total cost of this project was under $40. The CS-6 was broken and was given to me by a friend, the speaker I had lying around, the LEDs and candle circuit board were donated by another friend, and I had the garden hose connectors lying around too. The silver pen and switch were also already on hand, as was the gorilla glue and silicone sealer I used to join the piping to itself and the gun. All I bought for this project was the white noise circuit board, the PVC piping and end caps to make the bottles, and the 1/2" brass piping and elbows, the sprinkler nozzle (pilot light), plus paint and clearcoat.

Hope I didn't break any rules on my first post...

Jeff

Post subject: Re: My own Nerf mod: CS-6 Longshot to Incinerator
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:55 am 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32151E1
Lookin' good :)
Welcome to the forums!

Props, cosplay pieces, upcycled ornamentation, and miscellanea;
For the discerning survivor of the apocalypse.
Steve Fletcher : Maker, Scavenger, and Junksmith.
linktr.ee/wastelandworkshop

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:09 pm 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

Ooh, I like that!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:19 pm 
Victor

Very cool! Loving the 'Crispy Critter' bit. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:29 pm 

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.42137E1
That's awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:00 pm 
USCM Ambassador

Service Number: AO2/TQ1.0.1233E1
Very, very cool! I really like all the attention to detail you've put into this piece! It would be great as it is, but then lights AND Sound too?!?! AWESOME!

USCM- The Colonial Marines- A Brotherhood of Bad Asses!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:18 pm 
You there! Get me a Turkey!

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.62157E1
Nice, very nice!!

What did you use for the reservoir?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:54 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
Very cool. Well done!

Russ

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:09 am 

Thanks for the positive comments everyone!

The fuel reservoir is 2" PVC pipe with 2" PVC end caps. I picked up a piece of 12" long, 2" PVC pipe from the local hardware store's scrap bin, it was only 81 cents. I cut the 12" piece into two 6" pieces to make two bottles, drilled out one endcap for each and glued the female garden hose connectors on, and then glued the endcaps on. The sticker was printed out on sheet sticker paper and placed after painting (but before clearcoat) so they face sideways when the bottles are attached. The bottles are about 7.5" tall from bottom to the top of the garden hose connector.

All in all the most complex part of the build was reinforcing the bottom where the Nerf magazine normally goes. It was built up in two halves (so the gun can still be taken apart) with Evergreen sheet plastic that you can get at hobby stores. I layered and glued the sheet plastic to 3 layers thick before cutting a hole for the male garden hose connector that the bottles screw in to.

The light and sound only came about since I wanted a "working" pilot light and well, I wanted the hissing noise that goes along with it...

Jeff