The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Canada to deploy its own Marine Corps
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:31 pm 
Duke Bronson

Ultimate Canadian badasses.

The Marine Commando Regiment (MCR) [1] is a 350-member regiment based at Canadian Forces Base Comox. CFB Comox, an Air Command base, is located on Vancouver Island in the Province of British Columbia, Canada. The regiment is planned to be fully operational before 2010 with approximately 1000+ members. In 2008, the United States Marines Corps said that the Canadian "Marine Commando Regiment" is ahead of schedule in becoming fully operational.

The project was from 1994 when Canada's wanted a more mobile forces from the Air,Sea and land but due of the cutting budget in the "Black Years" between 1993-2002 Canada had reduce his capacity. But after the September 11 attacks, and the terrible evacuation in Lebanon 2006 during the Lebanon war , Canada's had accepted multiple project such the new Canadian Special Operations Regiment and the Marine Commando Regiment. The regiment was stood up in 2006 and thereby fulfilling a request from General Rick Hillier in 2005 for the creation of small amphibious assault regiment. In November 2006, the Royal 22e Régiment participated in the Integrated Tactical Effects Experiment (ITEE)[2] [3] , a three week training exercise with the United States Marine Corps. In 2008, Alpha Company, 1st Battalion, Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry (A Coy, 1 PPCLI), participated in similar training during RIMPAC with the United States Marines Corps and the Royal Australian Navy.

The Comox regiment will focus entirely on maritime operations and Non-combatant evacuation operation or Neo, and will be able to react to seaborne terrorist incidents, both domestically and internationally. It will also be capable of rescuing Canadians trapped in war-torn nations that are accessible by water.

In 2004, Paul Martin announced two similar naval projects, the Joint Support Ship [4] and the Amphibious Assault Ship. The Joint Support Ship was cancelled in August 2008 but apparently not the Amphibious Assault Ship. The Amphibious Assault Ship will cost approximatively $1B CAD. The ship will carry 16 to 30 medium to heavy helicopters, fighter aircraft (possibly including the new F-35B), land vehicles including Main Battle tanks and light armoured vehicles, and a large contingent of soldiers and their equipment. During peacetime the Amphibious Assault Ship[5] can be fitted as a hospital with 80+ beds, 2 to 6 operating rooms and several tons of medicine and food. The Amphibious Assault Ship project will be similar to the French-made Mistral class according to Délégation générale pour l’armement(DGA) [6].

Yes, our Corps will have girls in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:24 pm 

Et l'appelation Française c'est Fusiliers Marins? Régiment de Commando de Marine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:24 am 
Duke Bronson

I'm guessing Régiment de Commando de Marine. Fusilliers doesn't sound sexy enough.

Post subject: Re: Canada to deploy its own Marine Corps
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:59 am 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

Sgt Beaudoin wrote:
Yes, our Corps will have girls in it.

That is the best part of this amazingly cool news!!
Nothing sexier than a woman in cabbage kit!!

Don't wanna rain on your parade, but would someone please tell the guys in the 2nd photo that loaded magazines do need to be in the weapon for it to fire :oops: :P :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:05 pm 
Women and guns, Hot diggity!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:49 pm 
Bad Boy

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.22134E1
Sounds all cool and sexy but I have my doubts. The CF has a tough enuff time fielding 9 infantry battalions and one "special" battalion with "possibly other's on some secret squirrel place called The Hill" or as we nick named it "Johny Trout Farm". Are you confused? If not, you must be a member or past serving with the Canadian Forces.

Anyway, this seems to be a navy based ~puke~ unit on an airforce base ~barfs again~ and last time I was at recruiting centre (downtown Edmonton), the biggest challenge recruiters have is navy. Wanna be a grunt and hunt down & kill Taliban, no probs, they have plenty of positions for you. The attrition rate is so high in any of the combat arms but they do manage to fill the spots for each battle group in great part to reservists (thanks Dom! :D ). Yeah, I'm negative but after serving with the Canadian military reserves and full time for combined 28 years, stuff like this is just a pipe dream. Sorry to rain on your parade, Dom.

Ref all those Walter Mitty comments about mags & such, it's very common to practise dry firing and various shooting positions before you commit to live fire. Also ref to chicks in combat arms, let me tell you a few stories next time we share some beers. I'm very much a dinosaur on that topic.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:10 pm 
Lifer

Airborne Mike wrote:
..."The Hill" or as we nick named it "Johny Trout Farm". Are you confused?

Not one bit. 8)

Is there 2 farms? :wink:

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:32 pm 

Airborne Mike wrote:
Ref all those Walter Mitty comments about mags & such, it's very common to practise dry firing and various shooting positions before you commit to live fire.

I was joking, dude.... :P
We did the same thing, but with a penny wedged into the mag to depress the follower and stop the bolt from holding open. Never knew why though, since we never cocked our weapons anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:21 pm 
Duke Bronson

Secret Squirrels? They sound like some kind of task force that is joint for a second time... or something. :lol:
Airborne Mike wrote:
Anyway, this seems to be a navy based ~puke~ unit on an airforce base ~barfs again~ and last time I was at recruiting centre (downtown Edmonton)
You forgot (downtown Edmonton ~vomit~) :lol:

Airborne Mike wrote:
Also ref to chicks in combat arms, let me tell you a few stories next time we share some beers. I'm very much a dinosaur on that topic.
I know you've alluded to not being keen on girls in combat arms, but I would however like to hear your stories next time we meet. I've done all my course with ladies present, and they all seem as sharp as the next guy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:09 pm 
Bad Boy

Quote:
Is there 2 farms?

Yup, but if I tell you where, they will kill us both :lol:
Quote:
We did the same thing, but with a penny wedged into the mag to depress the follower

We used beer caps.
Quote:
You forgot (downtown Edmonton ~vomit~)

Touche!
Yeah, downtown Edmonton sucks big time, that's why I hardly go there. How in the F*#K do you know Dom, you've never been to Edmonton!
Quote:
I've done all my course with ladies present, and they all seem as sharp as the next guy.

Very politically correct. I beg to differ, Dom. I'll tell you some good stories at the next con or if you want, make a NSFW thread and when I have time, I'll pass on my ol' timers stories to yah. They may not be a colourful as in person, thou. :wink:

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:59 am 
Duke Bronson

Airborne Mike wrote:
How in the F*#K do you know Dom, you've never been to Edmonton!
Quote:
Sounds like an invitation to me... :D

Airborne Mike wrote:
They may not be a colourful as in person, thou.
Gonna have to be in person, I love colours... except, well... you know. :roll:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:33 am 

Airborne Mike wrote:
We used beer caps.

I'm guessing the MoD budget didn't stretch that far :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
Quote:
Anyway, this seems to be a navy based ~puke~ unit on an airforce base ~barfs again~

Haven't the Marines always been Navy based? Since their formation back in the old country?

Russ

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:57 pm 
Duke Bronson

Mike's just angry that Canadian sailors want to play soldier now. They never have before. :wink: The extent of the Canadian naval infantry has always been for boarding parties only.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:52 pm 
You tell me, man; I only work here.

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.42161E1
Russ Krook III wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, this seems to be a navy based ~puke~ unit on an airforce base ~barfs again~

Haven't the Marines always been Navy based? Since their formation back in the old country?

Russ

Technically, yes, the US Marines are Navy based :roll: . They don't like to admit it, though :wink: :lol: .

"When the going gets tough, the tough call on the Colonial Marines."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:30 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
Sgt Beaudoin wrote:
Mike's just angry that Canadian sailors want to play soldier now. They never have before. :wink: The extent of the Canadian naval infantry has always been for boarding parties only.

Well, then Mike's going to really hate this one. :)

Reposted from 'The Torch.'

Quote:
This one's for our Canadian friends.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Balls. Big, honkin' balls:

Petty Officer 2nd Class James Anthony Leith, S.C., M.S.M., C.D.,
Shearwater, Nova Scotia
Star of Courage

On September 28, 2006, Petty Officer 2nd Class James Leith risked his life to prevent the
loss of civilian and military lives by dismantling an improvised explosive device (IED) on a
road in the Pashmul area of Afghanistan. After his vehicle had been struck, Petty Officer
2nd Class Leith discovered an unstable IED. As his equipment had been destroyed in the
original blast, he dismantled the IED using only his bayonet. His courageous actions enabled
the reopening of a vital route for coalition forces.

http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/

BZ PO2 Leith! With a previous decoration that cites his diving prowess, I'd guess he was on
the C-IED team: a number of them are clearance divers. You can't ask for more pressure in a
job than this - the man's blood must double as a refrigeration system.

And BZ to the two SAR Techs who will also be receiving the Star of Courage for their arctic
rescue of a hunter trapped on an ice floe: Sergeant David John Cooper, S.C., C.D., and Sergeant
Dwayne B. Guay, S.C., C.D.

posted by Babbling Brooks at 2:19 PM

Quote:
Technically, yes, the US Marines are Navy based

@Mav: I know. I was mostly asking a rhetorical question.

Russ

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:48 pm 
Duke Bronson

With a freakin' bayonnet! Go Navy! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:17 pm 
You tell me, man; I only work here.

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.42161E1
@Russ: Ah, I gotcha.

"When the going gets tough, the tough call on the Colonial Marines."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:32 am 
Bad Boy

You bastards are rubbing this crap in. OK OK the squids have a few good guys but I can't see them deploy any kind of Marine force equivalent to the real USMC and Royal Marines. Never gonna happen regardless how much ganga them boys smoke.

As far as a bayonet is concerned, no big deal. It's SOP to carry a bayonet for prodding for mines. He probably was also carrying a multitool.

OT: ref SAR Techs (Search and Rescue Technicians), they are all remusters from other trades, usually experienced paratroopers from the Infantry or medics. I have 2 personal friends employed in that trade right now and both are top notch. AIRBORNE!

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:35 pm 
Duke Bronson

You're such a party pooper. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:52 pm 
I Don't Roll on Shabbas

Quote:
I was joking, dude.... :P
We did the same thing, but with a penny wedged into the mag to depress the follower and stop the bolt from holding open. Never knew why though, since we never cocked our weapons anyway.

Sorry Woody, were you in the army? You seemed quite young when we met you last year!

Interesting thread.