The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: The Aliens Legacy: Intro To Airsoft FAQ.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:08 pm 
The Aliens Legacy Introduction to Airsoft F.A.Q.

Q: What is Airsoft?
A: Airsoft is a collective term that both describes the sport and the equipment used. Airsoft Skirmishes are played similar to paintball. Unlike paintball, Airsoft uses a metal and plastic "gun" that looks much like a real firearm. Most Airsoft guns fire single shot or full auto, and they fire a 6mm plastic pellet from a detatchable magazine or clip, while a paintball gun fires a .50-.68 caliber water soluable paint pellet loaded from a bulk hopper. Airsoft's main appeal is it's realism.

Q: Doesn't it hurt more than paintball since the pellets don't break?
A: No. While Airsoft pellets are completely solid, unlike a paintball, they also have less kinetic impact. An airsoft pellet is 6mm (.25 cal) in diameter. A standard paintball is .68 cal and much heavier weight. Generally, getting hit with an airsoft pellet feels much like getting snapped with a rubber band. Plus, getting hit with 10 airsoft pellets in a short period of time will hurt a lot less than getting it with 10 paintballs in that same period of time at the same muzzle velocity.

Another bad analogy would be the difference between getting hit by an airsoft pellet versus a paintball pellet, is like the difference between being run over by a pedel powered bicycle or getting run over by a Motorcycle. Both will hurt to a certain degree.

Q: If there's no paint to leave a mark, how do you know you've been hit?
A: Honesty. Airsoft, even more than paintball, requires a high level of honesty in the players. If you don't call your hits, then you don't get invited back to play.
The phrase "Cheaters Never Win" is very true in airsoft. If you cheat, soon you won't have anywhere, or anyone, to play with.

Quite often at longer ranges you'll "hear" the BB hit your clothing or gear, even though you may not actually feel the impact. When in doubt, call yourself out!

Q: If the guns fire full auto, Isn't it more expensive to play because you have to buy more pellets?
A: Actually, no. When you break the price down in a bulk format, airsoft is very economical to shoot. If you buy lots of cheap, case price paintballs, the cost averages out to about $.05-.06 per shot. Airsoft pellets average out to $.006/shot, less than a penny per shot. Keep in mind airsoft pellets vary greatly in price, but an average cost is about $20.00/5,000 rounds (which actually comes out to $.004/round!).

Q: What gun should I buy?
A: Better question should be, what kinds of guns do you like? Pretty much every modern assault rifle or submachine gun seen in the movies and on TV is available in an airsoft version.

Q: Which gun is the best?
A: Whichever gun you're using. Functionally, "they're pretty much all the same."

Some guns have slight advatages over others. For example, a gun with a long barrel (G3 rifles for example) are a bit more accurate than a short barreled gun like an MP5 SMG.
Some guns also have higher capacity magazines than others do. The MP5 series of guns, one of the most popular, have a 200 round high capacity magazine. By contrast, an AK 47 airsoft gun has a 600 round high capacity magazine. It really depends on how much trigger control you have.

I've played in 8 hour games with an MP5 and have used less than 600 rounds the whole day. By contrast, my friend Jon has an AK 47 and he's used 600 rounds in 15 minutes! It just
depends on your personal shooting style, and the needs of the moment on the game field.

Q: Is Airsoft just about shooting people?
A: Not at all! While the majority of airsoft players skirmish in a wargame scenario, many people own airsoft guns just for target shooting and plinking in the backyard! Plus, because for the most part real world guns are used in the movie industry as the base for making Sci-Fi movie prop guns, airsoft allws you to make "firing" replicas of your favorite Sci-Fi weapons. More on this below...

Q: I'm not very good at fixing things. I want a gun that works good out of the box.
Any suggestions?

A: Guns that need little to NO fixing? The AK47 series have LONG proven reliable and accurate right out of the box. The MC-51/H&K G3's have also been OK. The M1A1 Thompson SMG is easily on par with the AK's, and as far as Aliens Props go, it's an integral component in the Pulse Rifle design. More on this below.

Q: I'm new to this. What's the first thing I should buy?
A: A JT Spectra Thermalvision paintball mask/goggle combo.

Q: Why?
A: You tell me. How much shooting of your new airsoft gun will you be doing when you lose an eye? None. Protective gear should be your FIRST purchase.

Q: OK, I bought some "safety/shooting glasses" at S-Mart. Now what?
A: Did you say you bought "Safety Glasses" and not "Paintball Goggles"? Let me clear something up. Safety Glasses, Shooters Glasses, Shop Goggles, Military surplus Dust Goggles and Ski Goggles are NOT suitable protection for playing airsoft, or even shooting at cans in the back yard! These items are usually NOT ANSI certified to take a ballistic impact, or if they are, they do not provide full eye coverage or have space around the edges where a BB could get through. Think about it: You want to buy an airsoft gun that
costs $200 or more, but you're buying eye protection that costs only $5.00? Is your vision only worth $5.00? I know a seeing eye dog or a good cane costs more than $5.00. Use your head, protect your eyesight!!

Q: OK, I bought a set of appropriate eye protection. Now what?
A: If you've never played before, and want to buy a gun, I suggest one of the following packages. These are suggestions based on my own personal experience.

First off, for a "newbie" to airsoft, purchase a gun with a solid stock. Some suggestions include the previously mentioned G3's, AK47, M1A1, plus any of SR-16/M16 varients with a solid stock. The reason for this is a solid stock can house a large capacity battery which means you can usually play an entire day without worrying about your battery power dying on you.

Second, I recommend 2-3 high capacity magazines. The AK mags carry 600 rounds each, M-16 mags about 300, G3's 500 rounds and the Thompson long mage hold about 400 rounds.

I don't suggest the MP5 series as a starter weapon because of the meager magazine size, 200-240 rounds.

Also figure in a couple bags of decent quality .20 or .25g BBs.

You may also consider a decent multi-volt TLP battery charger with peak charge capability. The TLP chargers are more expensive, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Other "requirements" include a decent set of Camoflague in woodland camo, possibly a pistol belt and/or tactical vest to carry those extra Magazines and BBs, plus a good canteen or "Camelback" hydration system to keep you drinking water while playing. Dehydration is BAD. You can have the baddest set of guns and equipment in the world, but if you get heat stroke from not drinking, none of that cool gear will matter.

Q: Where can I find additional information about airsoft?
A: Try visiting...

www.airsoftplayers.com
www.airsoftzone.com
www.arniesairsoft.co.uk

Now keep in mind that discussion boards like ASZ are populated by hundreds of 12 year old boys who "talk" like they know what they're talking about, when in fact 80% of their information is second hand, or based on "a friend of my cousin's, uncle's sister said that gun XYZ sucks."

Take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt.

Q: Okay, enough already! I want to know about ALIENS Airsoft stuff!
A: Okay, here we go. Modern Airsoft Pulse Rifles are made using the Tokyo Marui M1A1 Thompson SMG, the steel handguard cage and plastic handgrip from a real SPAS 12 shotgun, and an airsoft M870 shotgun. There are several "Pulse Rifle Kits" available that fill in the missing parts of the kit such as the metal barrel vents, stock and of course, the famous shroud. These kits have varying degrees of accuracy. By and large, each kit has it's own good and bad points.

Q: What's the Grenade Launcher section made from?
A: On the real movie prop, the GL was the outer handguard cage and pump grip from a SPAS 12 shotgun and it housed a Remington M870 Shotgun. There "is" an airsoft M870 available. It is made by Maruzen.

Maruzen makes three variants of the M870. The full stock version, the "Grip" version and the "Combat Shorty." The version you want if you're making the PR is the "Grip Version." There are a couple reasons for this.

The Full Stock version houses the gas tank in the stock. This tank is too large to "hide" inside the PR shroud. If you just want a Grenade Launcher that cycles shells and doesn't fire, then this version will work for you.

The Shorty version has a ribbed barrel vent running along the top of the barrel which will need to be cut off in order to work. This creates additional work that is best to be avoided. :)

Q: I saw a cheap M870 on eBay (around $30 USD), will this work in a SPAS Cage?
A: Maybe. It really depends on what you want it to do. Generally speaking the cheap plastic spring shotguns are too large to fit properly, and lack any firepower to make them worthwhile. Plus, they do not allow the cycling of shells either.

Q: Will the handguard cage from one of the cheap Spas 12 shotguns work
in making an airsoft Pulse Rifle?

A: Generally no. Having said that, the cage on the Tokyo Marui Spas 12 potentially will work with modifications. The plastic cages on the "el cheapo" shotguns will not work. The plastic is weak and not the correct size to house another shotgun. The high cost of the Marui Spas 12 is also something to consider as you will only be using 2 small parts of the gun.

Q: The Magazine that came with my Thompson is really long! Is it the right one?
A: No. The correct magazine you require is the short, "200 round high capacity" magazine. It's size matches the real steel 20 round magazines which were used in the film weapons.

Q: In the film some of the actors used the VP70 pistol.
Is this available in an airsoft version?

A: Not yet. The Tanio Koba company is working on a Gas Blowback version of this pistol which will be available Second Quarter 2004.

Q: Can I use the cheap Daisey Copperhead BBs in my Thompson/Pulse Rifle?
A: NO! Or rather, not if you want the gun to ever work again. The metal "Copperhead" BBs are .177 caliber, compared to the .25 cal PLASTIC airsoft pellets. Airsoft "BBs" are also measured by weight in addition to their 6mm diameter. I suggest good quality (Excell or Marui) .20g or .25g BBs in your airsoft gun. Do NOT use the cheap .12g yellow generic BBs in your expensive airsoft gun. Only use appropriate ammunition in your airsoft gun.

Visit Rook's Castle, I dare you! What's a matter McFly? Chicken?Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=rook3>Rook 3[/url] at: 4/18/04 4:53 pm

Post subject: Re: The Aliens Legacy: Intro To Airsoft FAQ.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 6:29 pm 
Glad to see a FAQ about airsoft in this section. This will probably answer many questions people just now getting into airsoft (myself included) have. I wonder what prompted this FAQ (;) )...

I also have a few questions,

1. Where can I find the laws concerning airsoft in my area?
2. What are some recommended places (on and offline) to buy airsoft guns?
3. How can I find an airsoft group in my area?
4. Where can I find reviews on different airsoft guns?
5. Where can I find a place to repair my airsoft gun?

Those are just a few ideas for the FAQ page........;)
------------------------------
M-40 grenade: $30

Pulse Rifle: $2000

Tactical Smart Missles: $10,000

Sulaco Full of Badass Colonial Marines: $700,000,000

Kicking some alien ass: Priceless

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:24 pm 
Q: What's does the man on your left flank usually say, when he refuses to cover his left at your suggestion and you try to but shoots him instead during your typical skirmish?
A: "Aouch !!!!!. Stop shooting me yer stupid bastard. I'm on your side!"

VT: The answers to your question can be found at the number one forum for AS in the world:

www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers...For he today that sheds his blood with me
shall be my brother."Edited by: [url=http://pub217.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=menatarms>MENATARMS[/url] at: 11/28/03 6:43 pm

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:32 pm 
I live in Newcastle Tyne & Wear and I was wondering If these is any Airsoft places round and about.

I'd love to do Airsoft and I think I'd make an excellant player.:D

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 9:17 am 
Hey dude, and welcome to the Legacy!

I run Section 8 Airsoft, up between Glasgow and Edinburgh.
Don't know any places in your area off the top of my head - Gauranteed there'll be a site not TOO far from you, though.

Check here:

www.airsoftmap.co.uk/

And if you're ever up in our neck of the woods, gimme a shout :)

( BTW, I got your last message on MSN.
If you're over 14, most sites will allow you to play - Either with a parent playing alongside, waiting at the safezone, or possibly just with a letter of permission and disclaimer.
If you're over 16, you won't even need that.

If your folks are at the Leicester event, I'd be more tha happy to talk to them and reassure them that a properly-run Airsoft site is a completely safe place to be. )

Edited by: [url=http://p220.ezboard.com/bthealienslegacy.showUserPublicProfile?gid=reverendscapegoat>Reverend Scapegoat[/url] at: 5/30/06 1:44 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:36 pm 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

I was certain that Tokyo Marui used to do a VP70 airsoft.

It was a single-shot, spring powered version only, but I think in the mid-late 90's it was featured in their catalogue.

I remember thinking it was the gun out of Aliens...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:50 am 

this saying:
A: Whichever gun you're using. Functionally, "they're pretty much all the same."

its not true and please be careful when buying a gun, every gun and manufacturer is completely different in quality and finish. any questions about brands or guns let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:47 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32151E1
What's meant by that is that the difference between real-world brands in their airsoft form isn't too great.
You're right, though, in that since this thread was started, there are a lot more competing Airsoft manufacturers out there so I'll maybe edit it when I have a chance to mention some of those.

Props, cosplay pieces, upcycled ornamentation, and miscellanea;
For the discerning survivor of the apocalypse.
Steve Fletcher : Maker, Scavenger, and Junksmith.
linktr.ee/wastelandworkshop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:55 pm 

This saying:

This is an erroneous bastardisation of an FAQ related to real guns.
The actual saying is:
A: Whichever one you have at the time.

THAT part is true, but totally unrelated to Airsoft IMO.
Even in my extremely limited experience of BB guns, I've found a vast difference between different models and even the same model from different manufacturers.

The best advice I can offer is to talk shop with experienced Airsofters, shop around, research models and pick the one that best does what YOU want it to.
Incidentally, I've never actually played Airsoft, but this is one 'real guns' saying that *does* apply!
Unlike real guns, you know pretty much exactly what you'll need and when you're gonna need it, so take the time to choose well and have yourself some great fun!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:17 pm 
Dresser of Nerds

Incorrect. The BEST gun is the M41A Pulse Rifle.

Lawyered.

ImageImage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:28 am 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Woody - When we first put this together, your choices were "Tokyo Marui" or "Tokyo Marui".
And the difference between a Marui MP5, and a Marui M4, and a Marui AK - In terms of performance - Is negligible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:18 pm 

Really??!!
I was into Airsoft back in '94-'97 and there were five or six options back then, though I don't know if any of the others survived...

But anyway, fair point.
I was just responding to the most recent post and adding thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:00 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

AEG-wise, Marui were the only real option for many years - Classic Army and ICS both started out making metal body kits for Marui rifles ( And were both initially crap! )
It's only over the last 3 or 4 years that clone AEGs have been any good at all, and the higher-end guns have been available and worth the money.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:38 pm 

I know Marui were usually the best quality, but what happened to ones like Masudaya?
I had a couple of theirs, once. Pretty good, IIRC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:07 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Masudaya weren't exactly what I'd call mainstream manufacturers of skirmishable airsoft guns :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
Lol. Back in 94-97, Marui was the best manufacturer on the block. You could go cheaper than TM, but you got what you paid for back then. You paid cheap, it shot cheap and broke cheap. :) I saw a lot of people buy the Korean Academy guns which were clones of TM products, and the vast majority of them were flat out crap.

Manufacturers in Hong Kong were only starting to realize that money could be made from airsoft sales to the USA. :)
The airsoft world has sure changed since then.

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:32 am 

Service Number: AO1/TQ2.O.72141E1
sweet...an aliens airsoft page. just what i wanted.
here's a few questions.
1: giving serious thought about getting a set of m3 colonail marine armour for playing airsoft in...but.......which is a good set?
2:if i was to invest in a set,it would need to be bb proof...that is to say it would need to take a direct hit from a bb at 350 fps ( feet per second) and not shatter/hole/dent....again,any ideas which set would be up to the mark?
3: or would it just be better for me to get some plastic bins and start constructing my own?

thanks for your time guys :-)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:31 pm 

If you have a look on spat's website, he's tested his armour using a selection of guns.

link: http://www.spatcave.com/armorfaq.htm

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:52 pm 

Service Number: AO1/TQ2.O.72141E1
cheers for that :wink:
judging by the damage from those type of airsoft guns, i think if i did buy some spat armour it would need some repairs after a while...might have to bodge up a set made from plastic bins ( seen that somewhere on here....)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:06 pm 

Service Number: A12/TQ1.0.42246E1
I have read through this entire thread. As a newbie, really helpful. Thanks

Lisa

UKCM 501st Regt. 1st Batt. The Bucketheads

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 7:00 am 

Service Number: A04/TQ2.0.72145E1
Spatman wrote:
Incorrect. The BEST gun is the M41A Pulse Rifle.

Lawyered.

This guy is right. :P

11794183_815598461893503_3282968223638990226_o.jpg
11794183_815598461893503_3282968223638990226_o.jpg [ 254.49 KiB | Viewed 29527 times ]

A04/TQ2.0.72145E1 Capt Constable, JM Violentj Otago-NZ

Hoorah to ashes!