The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: USCM drop "ALIEN WAR 3.0" interest thread
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:33 pm 
GarageGeek

in reference to this thread posted my Marduk:

http://forum.alienslegacy.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19471&p=272173#p272173

for United states Colonial marines to discuss or organize travel arrangements or other details pertaining to USCM logistics specifically.Not to replace the original ALIEN WAR 3.0 thread.

Last edited by seven on Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:48 pm 
GarageGeek

Looks like round trips from where I am in North Carolina to Heathrow airport London go for about $1650.00.
I don't know which airport we'd wanna use, I just picked that because that's where the APC came from.
A one-way trip takes just under 10 hours, from the east coast USA.

I put random dates into Hotwire but didn't mess around with it to try to get the cost down yet, just a rough idea. April 11th-April 16th, since it doesn't let you search dates past that time.

Highly doubt I'll be able to come up with that kinda money. Here's a link to hotwire if anyone wants to mess with it.
I'd still love to contribute in any way I can.

https://www.hotwire.com/

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:08 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
seven wrote:
Looks like round trips from where I am in North Carolina to Heathrow airport London go for about $1650.00.
I don't know which airport we'd wanna use, I just picked that because that's where the APC came from.
A one-way trip takes just under 10 hours, from the east coast USA.

I put random dates into Hotwire but didn't mess around with it to try to get the cost down yet, just a rough idea. April 11th-April 16th, since it doesn't let you search dates past that time.

Highly doubt I'll be able to come up with that kinda money. Here's a link to hotwire if anyone wants to mess with it.
I'd still love to contribute in any way I can.

https://www.hotwire.com/

If things have not changed since I read up on things.
There are some airports that have steeply discounted airfare. They do not advertise. Basically you have to get two sets of tickets. Basically it is a steep discount for europeans that travel or work in the states and need to go back and forth all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:47 pm 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
My $0.02 (from someone that has to travel to the UK from the other side of the world).

Heathrow is likely your best choice; as is only a 30min car journey (if you're looking at hiring a car). More likely [like me], you'd be using the train system; that's about 1 & 1/2hrs ... pretty good/standard journey time for getting anywhere in London.
I'll have a chat to my wife as she's English/ lived in London for some years and may have some [better] imput.

Re costs; a normal return flight for NZ/UK is approx US$2100 [booking at 6mth to 11mth out from trip date]; checking pricing now for as far out as I can make bookings, the pricing comes down to about US$700! I'd definitely suggest shopping around and confirming just how far out you can book for.

Caveat: there's no way a booking over a year out from your travel date is going to stay the same time, and maybe even the same carrier (and in my case, the same number of stop-offs / route etc [currently it's looking like a 30hr trip for me]. So with that in mind, I'm definitely going to be booking my flight with a couple of days either side to take that into account.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:42 am 

For me looks like round trip for me and wifey are going to be about 2k for the plane tickets plus whatever lodging is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:40 am 

Sky scanner is my flight website of choice
https://www.skyscanner.net/

After you have filled in your flight and date requirements and have a list of carriers and prices, you'll see on the left just under your origin airport name this "Show whole month", if you click on that you'll see individual prices for each day of the month. You'll save hundreds

We haven't officially set the dates in stone yet. We've chosen a venue near Ashford (Kent), but we need to recce it first to check its suitability. Lockdown has made getting out difficult.

We're pretty sure the stated dates are accurate, but wait until you see the event poster. Its going public the second everything is confirmed.

cheers

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:37 am 

Marduk wrote:
Sky scanner is my flight website of choice
https://www.skyscanner.net/

After you have filled in your flight and date requirements and have a list of carriers and prices, you'll see on the left just under your origin airport name this "Show whole month", if you click on that you'll see individual prices for each day of the month. You'll save hundreds

We haven't officially set the dates in stone yet. We've chosen a venue near Ashford (Kent), but we need to recce it first to check its suitability. Lockdown has made getting out difficult.

We're pretty sure the stated dates are accurate, but wait until you see the event poster. Its going public the second everything is confirmed.

cheers

Just make sure you book as early as possible. Metrothamcon booked the Chattanooga convention center for three years for an absolute steal. They want the business, they are just as worried about safety as much as you are.

Post subject: Re: USCM drop "ALIEN WAR 3.0" interest thread
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:12 pm 
'Nuff said.

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
I have used Kayak.com both times I have gone to the UK. There are sales all the time. It is still way too far out to be worried about flights. Who knows what is going to happen in 2 years. DO NOT TIE YOURSELF TO RESERVATIONS THAT CANNOT BE CHANGED JUST FOR A DEAL. I got my flights 6 and 8 months out. Also the days you leave and comeback will change the price. It is always more expensive to leave and comeback on the weekend. Look at mid week. Direct flights are going to cost more. If you can, do connecting flights. Might be some red eyes but they can be a lot cheaper. Also London is weird on hotel prices being more expensive during the week due to business travelers. I found it opposite in the US. I exchanged my money thru my bank before I went as it was cheaper than doing it at exchange places at the airport or once there. Also do not try to take replica weapons with you in your luggage. It is not going to happen in my experience. Same with when the guys come over for DragonCon. Sorry for being MIA but I am currently in a hotel due to a new job.

Thanks!

Greg

UKCM
Shoot first, think never.
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

Last edited by gman666 on Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:24 pm 

A few pointers,
We are 80% sure the event will be near Ashford. It has great rail and road transport links and there will be a dedicated free coach service running to the site from the nearest railway station
This means hotels will cost you around a third of the London prices and if you want to a campsite at the venue will be available
When I've travelled I've found that 6 - 8 months before the event is the best time to buy.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:33 pm 
reload

Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
Apart from the lower flight prices I hope that some will stay longer than Friday til Monday.

Would be great having so many people from around the world for a bit longer.

GERCM - Executive Officer (XO)
UKCM Foreign Legion: The Deviant Dragoons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:14 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Yeah Frank, that's my plan too. I'd like to get on the p*ss with you fine [& some of the not so fine :D ] people.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:36 am 

577_ops wrote:
Apart from the lower flight prices I hope that some will stay longer than Friday til Monday.

Well wifey is excited. We may want to start a separate thread closer to time to recommend affordable lodging and connected lodging. and recommended sites to see.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:35 pm 
reload

septic wrote:
Yeah Frank, that's my plan too. I'd like to get on the p*ss with you fine [& some of the not so fine :D ] people.

Great! I love it when a plan comes together.
Looking forward to meeting members from around the world.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:40 pm 
reload

knoxvilles_joker wrote:
577_ops wrote:

Well wifey is excited. We may want to start a separate thread closer to time to recommend affordable lodging and connected lodging. and recommended sites to see.

During the event there will be affordable options.

We also start once we come close to the event sharing ideas
Of good hotels prior to the event
and others after the event.

As we plan to meet with some our friends at different cities.
Depending how much leave time we can get for this drop.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:51 pm 

577_ops wrote:
knoxvilles_joker wrote:
577_ops wrote:

During the event there will be affordable options.

We also start once we come close to the event sharing ideas
Of good hotels prior to the event
and others after the event.

As we plan to meet with some our friends at different cities.
Depending how much leave time we can get for this drop.

If I stay at my current job at that point, I could literally take a whole month off and it not even put a dent in my vacation time.

Now the other thing from what I can gather it would be about 5 months before I can even book reservations for the 2023 date. The thing with travel is the earlier you book the better of a deal you get. So I would say around november/december we should be able to start getting firm pricing. That pricing can really be a good thermometer of when we really want to have this.

Plus if anyone has a travel agent that is really, really good at shopping around we might be able to get an insane group discount. Imagine everyone arriving in the same plane in england at the same time. A plane full of colonial marines is also called a can of whoop @$$

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:49 pm 
'Nuff said.

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
Quote:
Now the other thing from what I can gather it would be about 5 months before I can even book reservations for the 2023 date. The thing with travel is the earlier you book the better of a deal you get. So I would say around november/december we should be able to start getting firm pricing. That pricing can really be a good thermometer of when we really want to have this.

This is not always true. The airlines have sales depending on the time of year. A lot factors also tie into price like fuel costs, location, and time of year you are going. Summertime and holidays will be higher cause everyone is going on vacation. It does not mean you will get the best price on international travel just because you made the reservation 15 months out. That is why I said not to get tied into flight tickets early just because you found at "deal" at the time. I know in my experience in my 2 UK trips I found the best deal 6-8 months out. The UK guys see this all the time when they get flights for DragonCon.

Thanks!

Greg

UKCM
Shoot first, think never.
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:10 pm 

gman666 wrote:
Quote:

This is not always true. The airlines have sales depending on the time of year. A lot factors also tie into price like fuel costs, location, and time of year you are going. Summertime and holidays will be higher cause everyone is going on vacation. It does not mean you will get the best price on international travel just because you made the reservation 15 months out. That is why I said not to get tied into flight tickets early just because you found at "deal" at the time. I know in my experience in my 2 UK trips I found the best deal 6-8 months out. The UK guys see this all the time when they get flights for DragonCon.

Thanks!

Greg

Also true. I am just trying to get solid figures so I know how much to sock away per month for the next several months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:44 am 

Boot camp registration is now open
https://www.alienwars30.co.uk/