The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Resin / Rubber Night Raider
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:17 am 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Service Number: A02/TQ2.0.52141E1
Hello All

Is anyone currently doing a resin copy of the Explorer Night Raider? I have a real one but just thinking about the time we may ever be able to attend events again... it’s obviously the ‘only’ option to have a copy so we aren’t falling foul of any local legislation... I have seen resin copies of the Gerber clone but not the Night Raider (which is the most common ‘issue’ knife in the ‘CM’ ranks...

It would be really cool if there was a casting with the screw off cap on the handle...

Kind regards,

Pete

"Errr... Roger that's a 2-1-6..."

Post subject: Re: Resin / Rubber Night Raider
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:59 am 

I made this con safe 3d print if it's any use to you

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4495488

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:24 am 

I printed this a couple of days ago. Nice model, goes together well, working on paint now :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:56 pm 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
I got a resin Raider from Nickatron [I think], some years back ... his prop site doesn't seem to be active anymore though ...
He's still a member here - memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=23 you could msg him and ask (if 3D printing isn't your thing).

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:33 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
septic wrote:
I got a resin Raider from Nickatron [I think], some years back ... his prop site doesn't seem to be active anymore though ...
He's still a member here - memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=23 you could msg him and ask (if 3D printing isn't your thing).

Nick retired. A member here bought some of his moulds. He is active on Facebook though so he might be able to point you to who has what.

Message on the PX and see if you get any bites that way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:30 am 

Service Number: A02/TQ0.0.52138E2
I have a mold I made of the practice Gerber, though I know it's not the model you're seeking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:00 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
4 suggestions!

-Try alchemyarms.com. http://www.alchemyarms.com/product_p/al ... it-002.htm
It is (was?) run by a member here "Honcho". While his last login here looks to be 3 years ago, I see the website is still up and running. I worked with him some years back to get my own night raider casted up. The site still lists what I know to be excellent quality resin casts along with patches, VP70s and Service C shirts (be sure to check page 2 of the Aliens section). Only drawback is they are definitely NOT flexible and probably wouldn't be con safe without grinding down the point/edge.

-Another option for a con-safe knife is to remove the blade and replace it with...well anything. I did that here with a "Wilderness II" (same handle, so when I heated and popped the blade out, no one would be the wiser when paired with an accurate sheath). viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16359&hilit=con+safe+raider

-The third option is Spat, with a catch. He has added a flexible 'explorer' knife in-sheath as a "Hicks knife" to his product list. It appears he decided to cast one of the above Wilderness II in its sheath as a single unit. It is the correct handle, but the sheath is all wrong and is bulkier than the correct one (as a result of having a wider blade on the wilderness II, plus a sharpening stone pouch not present on screen sheaths). Seems like a nice unit that is def con-safe, but not correct/accurate sheath overall.

-Finally, I've done this in a pinch with my Explorer MM-IV hudson knife. Cast your own from materials around the house.
Step 1- find some "Silicone 1" caulk from the hardware store. Color/brand doesn't matter but it MUST say "Silicone 1" on the tube. If it says "100% Silicone" or "Silicone 2", this will not work. Look for that "1".
Step 2- Squirt into bowl along with lots of water and a generous portion of dish soap.
Step 3- Kneed with your hands and mix into the dishsoap water until you feel it start to get firm. The INSTANT you feel it firm up, slap it down on a table or in a box and press your knife into it and roll that handle up in silicon.
Step 4- It will be dry in probably 20 mins. Either pull with force or cut out your object. The details are unlikely to be super crisp with this method and water pockets/drops may leave imperfectios, but it will give you a mold for ~$7 to pour whatever you want into.

Post subject: Re: Resin / Rubber Night Raider
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:26 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Thanks Big...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:41 pm 
GarageGeek

I have a night raider mold. Dont have any resin though currently.
Badkarmas 3D printed one is great too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:02 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Now sorted everyone thank you