The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: BDU colour matches?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:13 pm 

Sorry if this is an old subject but, i see loads of info on matches for the colours when painting Colonial Marine armour, but i don't seem to be able to find any on those for the BDU's.
I'm just starting to repaint and Eaglemoss Hicks, and i thank you for the information on the matches for the armour, but is there anywhere, or does anyone know, brands of paint that do a close match to the colours on the camo pattern on the cloth parts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:38 pm 

Service Number: A09/TQ1.0.32134E1
I've been trying to figure this out as well for the gaming miniatures I got last week. I've not finished painting them yet, but I have done the BDUs on the marines.
This is the closest I could get on Hicks and Dietrich.
Attachment:
HicksDietrichFront.jpg
HicksDietrichFront.jpg [ 1.07 MiB | Viewed 1202 times ]

Attachment:
HicksDietrichRear.jpg
HicksDietrichRear.jpg [ 945.97 KiB | Viewed 1202 times ]

I used Games Workshop Citadel paints (as I usually always do). The base coat for the BDUs was Camo Green, a paint they renamed Death Guard Green I think. Then I added dots of Nurgling Green and Screaming Skull on top of that. Then I gave it a wash of Seraphim Sepia to shade it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:06 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Those look very nice, but I think it should be noted the screen BDU pattern has no green in it.

Every time I have tried to paint the pattern, I have essentially started from scratch and tried to mix them up on the spot. My 4 target colors are basically:
-light khaki
-slightly darker tan/khaki
-subdued brown with hints of faded gray color
-faded white

However, like all things in this film, lighting can change the tone quite a bit, so there is plenty of wiggle room in specifics.
Some of the surviving screen used in warm light lean a lot more to the yellow tinted side. Everything in this photo below purported screen used and there is a lot of variation on tone.
Attachment:
Surviving uniform Comp.jpg
Surviving uniform Comp.jpg [ 467.07 KiB | Viewed 1169 times ]

Post subject: Re: BDU colour matches?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:50 pm 

Many thanks for the pointers chaps. bigbisont - really funny that, in that image you posted, the third set of BDU's along and at the top (the one with a small rust stain) is a photo of my original BDU's that i posted here years back, when i was trying to work out which actor they belonged to.
Wish i still had them, would make a colour match so much easier!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:16 pm 
THAT guy

Mangamax wrote:
Many thanks for the pointers chaps. bigbisont - really funny that, in that image you posted, the third set of BDU's along and at the top (the one with a small rust stain) is a photo of my original BDU's that i posted here years back, when i was trying to work out which actor they belonged to.
Wish i still had them, would make a colour match so much easier!

Oh yeah! Almost forgot about that. Was so jealous.

As for more color suggestions, my pal on instagram @the_ready_line does some amazing custom work on NECA figures. I know he lurks here from time to time so I hope he doesn't mind the plug and his photo being posted. I asked him what he uses.

He says he uses Tamiya XF55 and 59 for the tan/khaki shades. He said the brown color is open to interpretation but as long as it has hints of gray it is good.
Here is an Apone he posted to instagram (sorry, no higher res pic of it, so the whites aren't obvious, but are there).

Attachment:
the_ready_line custom.jpg
the_ready_line custom.jpg [ 84.43 KiB | Viewed 1104 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:46 pm 

Ah, i want one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:06 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Man, I must be colorblind, I see green in every version of this camo you posted BigbisonT, including that Apone figure!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:15 am 
AKKURAZI

retrogarde wrote:
Man, I must be colorblind, I see green in every version of this camo you posted BigbisonT, including that Apone figure!

I too see loads of greenish hues in all the camo patterns.
Khaki and olive in general are often colors that seem to invite all kinds of subjective views in the entire green/yellow/brown spectrum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:51 pm 
THAT guy

Well, I can't say ya'll are wrong. In warm light especially, hints of green can be seen within the other colors. MAA likely saw the same thing when he did his 3Pat, which were the most green tinted of his BDU trio. Chris "FNG"s first attempt at 1/6th BDUs were very green. To me that shows how fine of a line you need to walk when using green. Looking at the XF55 "Deck Tan" you can actually see it has its own subtle green hint within the tan and I think that is why it is a good color. Overall, for my own preference I say "when in doubt, leave green out!" (at least as a stand-alone color). To each their own tho.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:16 am 

To emphasize a few distinctions being made here: the bdu camo is best described as a "desert" style pallet. When dealing with military themed color schemes "olive" is going to be naturally inherent at some level. Colors that would encompass a "forest" style pallet or conventional hunting camo should be avoided.

As long as you use:
Light Tan or beige
Darker tan or beige relative to the base tan
Off white for the highlights
Dark brownish grey, the more faded looking the better.

I hope this helps.