The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:09 pm 
GarageGeek

m imagining creating a package to sell, a small cardboard box screenprinted with uscm logo and a very accurate bottle of BB acrylic. a folding insert with all possible mixing instructions/codes for recreating it. Something that looks military issued. maybe throw in a sticker or stencil. I can do the printing and design. The instruction sheet can be made to look like old printer paper with the holes down the side.
could do a run of 50 or so cost effectively. could start with a large color matched batch and order empty bottles online, fill them, slap a sticker on em.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:09 am 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Service Number: A02/TQ2.0.52141E1
Sounds very cool

"Errr... Roger that's a 2-1-6..."

Post subject: Re: AMMO Paint British 1941-42 Service Drab A mig 111
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 3:15 am 

I'll see if I can get in touch with Alclad USA tomorrow, they are about 35 miles away from where I live. Must be somewhere they distribute the color to here. Hobbytown sells Alclad but not that color.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:34 am 

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.92142G1
As simon t says the alclad British brown bess is a great colour that is pretty close to the original humbrol.
I own an original tin of humbrol 170 which i have used to paint smaller props such as my belt tool and for the larger stuff i use alclad British brown bess and am more than happy with the colour match. Its not perfect but its close enough for me that im no longer going to search for anything better!

Attachment:
20200412_195528_copy_1134x2016.jpg
20200412_195528_copy_1134x2016.jpg [ 266.96 KiB | Viewed 2385 times ]

Here is my belt tool painted in humbrol 170 and dropship helmet in alclad. Not the best two items to compare due to the size and shape difference but its a close match.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:00 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
This is the review on AllClad 062 Brown Bess I posted here back in January. I didn't get results quite as spot-on as ya'll are finding. Maybe I just had more extreme lighting in the pics? All that said, I have happily used it on props since then, including for touch ups on previous custom blends that look pretty good. Def great in a pinch.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18594&hilit=alclad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:53 pm 

The Alclad II usa website sucks. I emailed the UK site though so we'll see. Apparently they are releasing soon in the UK the mil-spec range in a brushable format in a tin as well as the airbrush jars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:29 pm 
GarageGeek

Had the same experience with the site, Jockey. If anyone in the states orders a lot I would throw in on the order.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:58 pm 

Well, Alclad got back to me and said they do have plans to sell Mil-Spec in the US soon. How soon is 'soon', I don't know.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:43 am 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
Harry Harris wrote:
There's a place in my home town that I could contact - they make custom car paints so it's likely this is something they can do, but remember the Ripley Data Disk is painted with the original paint as it was planned to be used in the film, so the most accurate scan would be of that - not the LDR sample. I just have find the time to get this done, and to check that it can be scanned while I'm there of course as I wouldn't want to leave it with them.

I don't know if they'd provide colour codes though (I have no experience of doing this). If they did that would mean I could take that information and go to another supplier so they'd lose trade. I'll ask of course though. I may, if this is a success, be able to have spray-cans made up for folks in the UK but it's difficult (and expensive) to have paint sent overseas so that's where the RAL numbers etc. would be useful.

Harry

Sorry to quote my own post but it's relevant to this new one I suppose.

I just left my Ripley Data Disc (mentioned above) with a paint shop near where I live. The guy who does the colour matching is fairly confident that he can get it matched; he had a swatch of what looked like military colours and one of them looked very close to the disc, although it was a gloss finish so he's going to work his magic and see what he can do!

I'll keep you all posted when I hear back from them.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:48 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:11 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
I've posted in the archives section here but will copy it into this one as well:

I finally managed to have some paint colour-matched to my original Ripley Data Disc. The paint in question is number 10.

Attachment:
Paints1-10.jpg
Paints1-10.jpg [ 3.15 MiB | Viewed 2145 times ]

I had to do a bit of Photoshop work to the image as I only have one disc so I just copied the disk a few times. The important thing is that the paints and the disc were photographed at the same time (meaning they're from the same photo).

As you can see number 10 is a very close match, but it does look slightly lighter. In reality it doesn't look as different as it does in the photo, which may have something to do with either how my camera sees it, or indeed how light reflects and refracts off the surface of the paint. My colour matched version is very slightly shinier than the surface of the disc so this could have something to do with why they're different.

This photo here is the new colour match paint and number 7; Alclad II ALCE062 British Brown Bess which still looks the closest as far as I'm concerned.

Attachment:
10 and 7.jpg
10 and 7.jpg [ 4.63 MiB | Viewed 2145 times ]

I think this shows just what a tricky paint this is to copy (remember numbers 4, 5 and 6 are colour matches as well). The company that I used took just under two weeks and they had a sample of the original paint to reference from!

Lastly in terms of providing RAL numbers and other reference codes I'm afraid that isn't possible as No 10 was matched by hand.

Harry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:35 am 

Space Jockey wrote:
Well, Alclad got back to me and said they do have plans to sell Mil-Spec in the US soon. How soon is 'soon', I don't know.

I am guessing this still is in the "soon" category? I can't seem to find anyone that sells the Alclad in North America or even ships it from Europe...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:53 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
Somewhere, deep in the Humbrol storage room, there will be a tiny bit of paper with the ratio on it...just waiting for us Aliens nerds to find....
....assuming Hornby didn’t chuck it out when they bought the place !

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:17 pm 

dr_slurpee wrote:
Space Jockey wrote:

I am guessing this still is in the "soon" category? I can't seem to find anyone that sells the Alclad in North America or even ships it from Europe...

Same

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:03 am 

Still in the 'soon' category I guess. Hobbytown sells Alclad here in the States but my local store has had the same colors for years now. I think we are just better off waiting to see how the SMS blaster brown paint turns out to be honest.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:12 am 

seven wrote:
Thats cool as hell

Fully agree

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:07 pm 

ilovethecorps wrote:
The British in WW2 were short of Chromium Oxide which was an essential chemical in creating the pigment for green paint... so they matched the shade of their then wartime service paint (called KG3) and created a brown colour which they referred to as SCC2 (SCC stands for Standard Camouflage Colour). It’s often referred to as ‘Service Brown’.

Green was prioritised for certain things such as aircraft etc... but soft skin vehicles etc were painted in SCC2... even American Lend Lease vehicles were repainted in SCC2...

In April (ish) 1944, the pigments were again available and the British went to SCC15 (Olive Drab) which meant that Lend Lease vehicles no longer had to be repainted...

A boring fact for you all...

Not boring at all. Really appreciate knowing info like this. Thank you.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:08 pm 

Space Jockey wrote:
Still in the 'soon' category I guess. Hobbytown sells Alclad here in the States but my local store has had the same colors for years now. I think we are just better off waiting to see how the SMS blaster brown paint turns out to be honest.

It sucks but I think we have covid to blame for this still not being available. I just wish I could pay domestic retail for this paint and not have to sign off on my kidney to get some shipped.;)