The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: The dumbest thing I have ever seen
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:00 pm 
GarageGeek

Listen up marines! Here it is, the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
makes me glad our fanbase is so small, less chance of people
trying to take it over and turn it into something weird.

https://theconversation.com/how-hollywo ... r%20movies

8B6C5926-F94E-4C59-96B8-43D0502CFD1D.jpeg
8B6C5926-F94E-4C59-96B8-43D0502CFD1D.jpeg [ 444.73 KiB | Viewed 2594 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:19 pm 
Mercenary

What an absolutely unhinged pile of steaming Codswallop!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:24 am 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
Stormtroopers wear white.... Luke wears black in Jedi..... LUCAS IS RACIST

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:32 am 

Wow... Just... Wow...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:26 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
They are trying to destroy and ruin all aspects of culture. As a group we need to fight against these false narratives. Such narratives need to be debunked and denounced for the drivel ridden pack of lies they stand on. This will not get posted to the facebook group as it destroys. the non-political narrative of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:22 pm 

Service Number: A02/TQ0.0.52138E2
Plus, farcebook is know to support such narratives and punish/block anyone who opposes them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:53 pm 
GarageGeek

"drivel-ridden pack of lies they stand on" hahahah well spoken

I love how ALIENS is so safe from those sort of self serving, virtue signaling,grandstanding, moral attacks.
Bishops like " I prefer the term artificial person myself" haha
diverse group of people, female leads. When someone attacks that movie its gonna be funny.
Youll never see an article that says how inclusive and forward-thinking Aliens is unfortunately.
People want to attack eachother and argue. Aliens could champion the message of a lot of people fighting for inclusiveness and acceptance, if theyd watch it.
All Im sayin is "Vasquez" , I think we can all agree on that one.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:38 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
seven wrote:
"drivel-ridden pack of lies they stand on" hahahah well spoken

I love how ALIENS is so safe from those sort of self serving, virtue signaling,grandstanding, moral attacks.
Bishops like " I prefer the term artificial person myself" haha
diverse group of people, female leads. When someone attacks that movie its gonna be funny.
Youll never see an article that says how inclusive and forward-thinking Aliens is unfortunately.
People want to attack eachother and argue. Aliens could champion the message of a lot of people fighting for inclusiveness and acceptance, if theyd watch it.
All Im sayin is "Vasquez" , I think we can all agree on that one.

Thanks for the compliment seven. I could not think of a better way to say it. Unfortunately it is exceedingly difficult to call out this stuff and avoid being offensive or insulting. But as such I only go after the facts, never the person; it becomes far less offensive doing things that way.

Cameron was literally 50 years ahead of his time with the cultural inclusiveness angle. It is very reassuring that this group does not tolerate this deviant view point and does not support toxic viewpoints and personalities that would kill the group fan base longer term.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:37 pm 
Officers - Making simple s**t hard since 1775

Service Number: A07/TQ1.0.52135E1
Glad someone else has mentioned this, was going to post about this myself.

I actually posted a comment on the article itself, which was later removed by an admin for being "Offensive" (seems their mods disliked my calling the author a "complete cretin, who has obviously never watched an Alien or Predator film in his life").

Is it just me, or are there more and more people just posting crazy crap like this about films these days?

On the one hand you have race baiters like this trying to make out everything is racist, when it isn't.

Then on the other, its like every film these days has to have a strong female lead, a black supporting actor along with several people of other races prominently on show as well as at least one gay couple and prefferably someone with some sort of disability. Otherwise critics will whnge and moan about "lack of diversity" (or something meaningless like that).

I dunno about you, I go to see films because I want to switch off my brain and be entertained for 90mins or so and escape from the real world. I don't want identity politics ramming down my throat, which film makers these days seem to think is more important than simply telling an interesting story.

Anyway, here endeth the rant!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:03 am 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
In my opinion the less this is discussed, the less the flames will be fanned and the sooner this will go away. It’s worth remembering also that ‘they’ is really only one person and the opinions in that article are solely their own. Apparently the author has written similarly incendiary articles. Let’s not give them any more attention.

Harry.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:29 am 

Harry Harris wrote:
In my opinion the less this is discussed, the less the flames will be fanned and the sooner this will go away. It’s worth remembering also that ‘they’ is really only one person and the opinions in that article are solely their own. Apparently the author has written similarly incendiary articles. Let’s not give them any more attention.

Harry.

Ordinarily I would agree, however stuff like this does seem to be coming more and more prevalent

Rather than this being one individual, there seems to be a whole army of offensive merchants out there looking at films and TV shows for things to scream "this is racist/sexist/homophobic" etc (delete as applicable) at.

If you have Sky on demand and browse through their films, you get this warning now when selecting ALIENS....

aliens-offensive.jpg
aliens-offensive.jpg [ 67.49 KiB | Viewed 2441 times ]

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:42 am 

SimonT wrote:
Harry Harris wrote:

Harry.

Ordinarily I would agree, however stuff like this does seem to be coming more and more prevalent

Rather than this being one individual, there seems to be a whole army of offensive merchants out there looking at films and TV shows for things to scream "this is racist/sexist/homophobic" etc (delete as applicable) at.

If you have Sky on demand and browse through their films, you get this warning now when selecting ALIENS....

Have to agree Simon, I cancelled my sky subscription because of that....ridiculous.

I started taking notice of this when they ruined Dr Who. I couldn't care less about the doctor being female but the garbage hyper political stories are a massive turn off. I just want to see space monsters on my telly...shouldn't be hard but it is now. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:58 pm 

Service Number: A09/TQ1.0.32134E1
Remember this is why DVDs and BluRay discs are better than streaming or digital downloads. Distributors can't suddenly delete the DVD you own of a film or cut out scenes that are 'offensive' to someone who wants your entertainment to be used as a means to spread their propaganda.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:09 pm 

martinr1000 wrote:

Have to agree Simon, I cancelled my sky subscription because of that....ridiculous.

I started taking notice of this when they ruined Dr Who. I couldn't care less about the doctor being female but the garbage hyper political stories are a massive turn off. I just want to see space monsters on my telly...shouldn't be hard but it is now. :roll:

This has been an ongoing issue for a while, identity politics, once the purview of handful of fringe loons, has slowly been creeping into everything and its only in the last year or so its become so prevalent that you can't help but notice it in everything now.

Look at the Ghostbusters reboot from 2016. Rather than just giving us a funny film, which kind of carried on from the previous ones, they decided to cram it full of identity politics. When people complained and said it was unfunny rubbish, the director and stars responded by hurling abuse at its detractors, accusing them of various "ists", "isms" and "phobias". When did it become acceptable to berate the people you are trying to encourage to pay to see your film exactly?

Hopefully, someday soon, film makers and TV production companies will start realising that the noisy people who want to keep pushing certain political ideals into films aren't representative of the people who actually pay to see them and will start producing stuff that the public want. But we'll see on that front.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:21 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
This topic is getting dangerously close to breaking forum rule 2b, which is:

Quote:
No discussions of 'flame bait' materials- These types of discussions include: Sex or sexuality (homosexual, heterosexual, the merits or detraction of either), Race (any race is better/smarter/stronger/etc. than any other), Religion (and related discussions of the relevance or merits/detraction of any given personal belief system or religious group) and the old favorite, Politics. Such discussions will be locked and/or deleted.

I'm not singling anyone out here at all by the way, but please let's abide by the rules set down for us all.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:32 pm 
GarageGeek

since I posted it, im cool with deleting it.
Seems like everyone here gets it. Hang onto those DVDs before Aliens gets edited down to 20 minutes
or overdubbed with brand new dialogue.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:44 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
SimonT wrote:

Hopefully, someday soon, film makers and TV production companies will start realising that the noisy people who want to keep pushing certain political ideals into films aren't representative of the people who actually pay to see them and will start producing stuff that the public want. But we'll see on that front.

Money will decide the entertainment industry. It always does. Bombs like that ghostbusters and the latest charlie's angels reboot prove that you can't rely solely on political ideals to move your product, and in the end, you are either making money with your tactics or you are not. The tactics will adjust to the market and it will all work out.

The REAL problem is "opinion" and "news" bits. Mouse clicks from fans or haters all count the same and the higher the count, the more advertising dollars are made. Both sides of the political isle figured out long ago that "wild and crazy" sells and brings BOTH the haters and loyalists to your site/channel. Cool and calm brings no one. So the divisive extreme crazy garbage like this article won't be going away anytime soon. Damn shame.

As for the article itself, this forced melding of topics reminds me a lot of a paper I wrote in college, although VERY different subject and degrees of silliness. The subject was Dr. Jekyle and Mr. Hyde and its impact as a theme in film. That was boring to me, so I used the film "Army of Darkness" as my starting point and just mashed in the J &H themes. I thought I did a good mashup job and made it work while having fun writing it. Professor not so impressed... C+. This person just did a more extreme version of the same. They started with a virtue signaling topic they wanted, then mashed the round pegs into square holes. They probably pulled some muscles stretching that hard hoping to be profound. Poor form.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
I think this discussion has run its course, and per Forum Rule 2b, I'm going to shut 'er down. Feel free to take the discussion to PMs if you feel that strongly.

Cheers,

Russ

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]