The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: PR UGL Carrier Assembly
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:44 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.52161G1
Hey everyone! I'm looking for a source on the Hero PR's 870 carrier assembly for detailing; Specifically, was it blued or chrome, and was it a Flexitab model? (A U shape is cut into the carrier, making a "tab", hence, Flexitab. I'll add an image to show what I mean!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:39 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Good question that we may unfortunately never know! The scene where the only rifle with a 'functional' grenade launcher (the 10-hole hero) gets a closeup was when Ripley was learning about the pulse. That part of the GL was either covered by her hand or by the sling every moment of the entire scene!

Maybe some day when it gets the 4K treatment we can see better detail in the scene where Frost places it on the table. As of now, the only thing I can see is that it probably wasn't chrome? Looks pretty dark.
Attachment:
10 hole bottom.jpg
10 hole bottom.jpg [ 71.75 KiB | Viewed 2771 times ]

Post subject: Re: PR UGL Carrier Assembly
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:45 pm 

Judging from http://www.harryharris.com/opr13.htm, I'd say at least the one shown in the Bapty interview had no Flexitab.
However, it's not the "10 Hole-Version". For that one I think there are two possible ways:
a) Get a good version of this picture:
Attachment:
PRPHOTO2.JPG
PRPHOTO2.JPG [ 25.09 KiB | Viewed 2763 times ]

b) Get the serial number of the shotgun (I was told it's visible on the side view of the shroudless Prototype) and check with the manufacturer's data.

Cheers
Stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:21 pm 

Thanks for the info! I was hoping for the Hero's detailed images of the building process to show it but that angle wasn't covered I think. I'll try and do some more surfing; The Flexitab was available in the mid 80s so it could be either one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:06 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
Can you see it when Ripley is loading the rifle to get Newt?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:46 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
88reaper88 wrote:
Can you see it when Ripley is loading the rifle to get Newt?

Great idea. Verdict... no?
Attachment:
GL underside.jpg
GL underside.jpg [ 82.74 KiB | Viewed 2688 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:24 pm 

Came across this on the alienscollection page when I was looking at the different PR's.

Not enough detail! I think all the evidence points toward it being blued / dark, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:33 am 

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.42137E1
I'll offer an educated guess.

I couldn't find exactly when the Flexitab was implemented, but searches tell me it was in the "Mid 1980s."

According to my research production on the film started in September of 1985, and the movie was released in 1986.

I would wager that Bapty probably had an old Remington 870 laying around they used for the hero gun. Given the timeline, I think it's unlikely it was a flexi-tab gun.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:41 am 

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.42137E1
Bug Stomper wrote:

b) Get the serial number of the shotgun (I was told it's visible on the side view of the shroudless Prototype) and check with the manufacturer's data.

I've read you can't date an 870 by serial number, but there is a date code stamped on the barrel. I own four 870s and one of them I haven't been able to date because the code is worn off.

If you had the number, you could call Remington, they have helped me date other guns I have in the past. I haven't called them about my 870.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:40 pm 

Erik_MAA wrote:
I'll offer an educated guess.

I would wager that Bapty probably had an old Remington 870 laying around they used for the hero gun. Given the timeline, I think it's unlikely it was a flexi-tab gun.

Never thought of that, good thought! I bet this was probably the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:03 am 

Do these help?

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5F2A6EEA

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5F297CAC

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5F2C86F1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:14 am 

This... is the holy grail!
Thank you Willie! I‘m speechless!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:50 pm 

These images make me all excited!

So to me it seems the 870 carrier does not have the "U" slot then, right? Even when changing the brightness and contrast of the pic, I can't see the slot, even though there seems to be something there where the white dot is...

Also: Look at the front block in that "below" shot. It extends into the slot of the SPAS cage! I never knew that! Is this to attach it to the SPAS cage somehow?

And it seems that the small connecting "tab" of the SPAS cage at the bottom near the trigger really was cut off.
I guess that disproves dr_slurpee's theory here: viewtopic.php?p=264258#p264258

So much new information! :D

Cheers!
Roman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:25 pm 
Mercenary

It’s an over 30 years old picture.., and just because there is nothing to see in that black area, doesn’t mean there is nothing. And if you blow it up with today technology, it still will be an black spot in an over 30 years old pic..., so it prove nothing. And why is that so important? Build it how u like it..., or ask Cameron, maybe he still have it, I don’t think so, but who knows.. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:23 pm 

I‘m just saying I can‘t see the slot even using my Photoshop-skills, doesn‘t mean it isn‘t there. In fact, I still can‘t figure out what that white speck is, it might even be part of the slot. Maybe someone with better „Photoshop-Fu“ will find out more. 8)

Since I am somewhat obsessed with the 10-hole-hero Pulse Rifle, I am very excited to see these pics. I agree, build your Pulse Rifle the way you want, but this is the route I‘m going. I wish I could call Cameron though and have him send me the hero PR. :D

Cheers!
Roman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:25 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
Xhiwar wrote:
Look at the front block in that "below" shot. It extends into the slot of the SPAS cage! I never knew that! Is this to attach it to the SPAS cage somehow?

Don't forget though that this is the 'hero' 10-hole version, which may have been the first Pulse Rifle built. I've seen others that don't have this feature, possibly because Bapty took a longer time to build the 10-hole than the subsequent weapons.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:51 pm 

Awesome photos! I’m not sure what the white spot is, as it really doesn’t seem like it could be a reflection. Comparing the photo with the photo I posted earlier, no line is visible on the area not covered by a shadow (I believe it would be visible a little bit), but that white spot could be a reflection of the cut in the carrier anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:07 pm 

Harry Harris wrote:
Xhiwar wrote:
Look at the front block in that "below" shot. It extends into the slot of the SPAS cage! I never knew that! Is this to attach it to the SPAS cage somehow?

Don't forget though that this is the 'hero' 10-hole version, which may have been the first Pulse Rifle built. I've seen others that don't have this feature, possibly because Bapty took a longer time to build the 10-hole than the subsequent weapons.

Harry

I think at least the black "Bapty Rifle" is build the same way as the 10-hole version. In this picture (and others from that series) you can see that the front block has an unpainted area towards the SPAS cage. This means, that the block sat deeper when the rifle was painted. This is only possible if the front block extends into the SPAS cage - otherwise there would be a gap now.

Cheers
Stefan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:10 pm 

Harry Harris wrote:
Xhiwar wrote:

Harry

That‘s right.
Then again, didn‘t most of other Pulse Rifles except the ten hole hero have screws at the side of the front block through the SPAS cage? Like this:
Attachment:
BE86E9FE-4F3F-4B3E-9479-982104023A69.jpeg
BE86E9FE-4F3F-4B3E-9479-982104023A69.jpeg [ 322.42 KiB | Viewed 2488 times ]

Except of course the 8-hole-hero, which however seems to have used the front block (or almost the complete GL section) of the 10-hole-hero. Hmm, would be interesting to see a „below“ image of that one.

Cheers!
Roman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:13 pm 

Bug Stomper wrote:
I think at least the black "Bapty Rifle" is build the same way as the 10-hole version. In this picture (and others from that series) you can see that the front block has an unpainted area towards the SPAS cage. This means, that the block sat deeper when the rifle was painted. This is only possible if the front block extends into the SPAS cage - otherwise there would be a gap now.

Cheers
Stefan

Exactly!
Makes me wonder how the front block was attached to the 10-hole-hero. Maybe screwed on from the top?

Cheers!
Roman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:33 pm 

I don't think it's actually attached to the SPAS cage at all (on the guns with an actual 870). The set screws fix the front block to the mag tube of the 870 and the 870 is fixed (trough the SPAS cage) to the Thompson. So there's no need to fix it to the SPAS cage too.
Things are differend when only a shotgun dummy is installed. You can't (easily) fix it to the Thompson. Thus the SPAS cage is fixed to the Thompson and the shotgun dummy/front block combination is then fixed to the SPAS cage - that's where the screw on the front of the SPAS cage comes in.

Cheers
Stefan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:13 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
Bug Stomper wrote:
I don't think it's actually attached to the SPAS cage at all (on the guns with an actual 870). The set screws fix the front block to the mag tube of the 870 and the 870 is fixed (trough the SPAS cage) to the Thompson. So there's no need to fix it to the SPAS cage too.

Stefan is right. I apologise as I was thinking you were talking about this detail, which I've never seen on any other PR as far as I can tell.

Attachment:
Notch.jpg
Notch.jpg [ 142.67 KiB | Viewed 2464 times ]

Harry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:19 pm 

Harry Harris wrote:
Stefan is right. I apologise as I was thinking you were talking about this detail, which I've never seen on any other PR as far as I can tell.

Attachment:
Notch.jpg

Harry

I was.
I believe Stefan is right though and this front block might have been „slide in“. It seems the red part is not a single protrusion from the front block, but that the front block is in fact quite wide/deep and slides into the SPAS cage completely. I.e. the red part is equal in size as the visible front block and merely covered by the SPAS cage so that only the red part shows.

Cheers!
Roman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:31 pm 

What I mean by my last post is that the Front Block probably didn‘t look like this:
Attachment:
787BE9FB-76ED-4A05-BD77-B94E053DB1C9.jpeg
787BE9FB-76ED-4A05-BD77-B94E053DB1C9.jpeg [ 84.17 KiB | Viewed 2459 times ]

but more like this:
Attachment:
AD2CA9A2-AA8C-42FF-A54D-9DA38F007528.jpeg
AD2CA9A2-AA8C-42FF-A54D-9DA38F007528.jpeg [ 87.2 KiB | Viewed 2459 times ]

Cheers!
Roman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:48 pm 
GarageGeek