The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Re: Lockdown
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:22 am 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
StephenDutton wrote:
At the weekend one of the building security guards apologised to my boss for not being able to find the toilet paper thief on CCTV.
:roll:

That's because the thief IS the security guard! (Possibly).

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:23 am 

I’m considered “mission critical”, so still working my butt off!

Post subject: Re: Lockdown
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:01 pm 

Still working. I'm a software engineer so i'm really lucky (I think) to be able to work from home. My company sent us all home to work about a week before the UK lockdown and to be honest I've lost count as to how long ago that was (4 weeks? ). I've been trying to clean out my garage on my off days so I can maybe start another project. Thought about maybe modelling and printing a flamethrower.

hope everyone stays safe and well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:15 pm 

Service Number: A17/TQ1.0.83083E5
I quit my job in Burbank (I moved out to work at a prop/costume shop [trust me, you've heard of the guy who owns it, mores the pity] and it was a disaster, so I've been unemployed since. Getting by by selling resin kits and electronics, and trying to stave off cabin fever by making a new proton pack shell mold, modeling 40k stuff for costumes I'll never get to, and doing stupid amounts of yoga to battle anxiety.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:08 pm 

Prop-Forge wrote:
I quit my job in Burbank (I moved out to work at a prop/costume shop [trust me, you've heard of the guy who owns it, mores the pity] and it was a disaster, so I've been unemployed since. Getting by by selling resin kits and electronics, and trying to stave off cabin fever by making a new proton pack shell mold, modeling 40k stuff for costumes I'll never get to, and doing stupid amounts of yoga to battle anxiety.

have to say i'm quite curious about the who?

anyway hope the mold making goes well. I built a pack over Christmas which was really fun although I found the electronics a bit taxing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:08 am 
GarageGeek

if anyone is on the shorter side and wants to do a spirit pack buildup, i built one but bought two of almost wveryghing. including the arduino, Ribbon cable ect. also could trace my mdf back and cut it out for someone to mount an alice pack to. have all the wiring and LEDs. did it all from scratch so nothing is from GB fans. have toggle switches ect. as well as an unopened spirit pck gen. 2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:13 am 

seven wrote:
if anyone is on the shorter side and wants to do a spirit pack buildup, i built one but bought two of almost wveryghing. including the arduino, Ribbon cable ect. also could trace my mdf back and cut it out for someone to mount an alice pack to. have all the wiring and LEDs. did it all from scratch so nothing is from GB fans. have toggle switches ect. as well as an unopened spirit pck gen. 2

did you use claudeDeMonet's Arduino code? I did. Really good stuff.

cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:06 pm 

Service Number: A06/TQ1.0.02140E1
oh well tried to see if I was allowed back to work told not yet as its only a skeleton staff funny how that skeleton staff is all the workers who have worked there for 5+ years lol

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:55 pm 
GarageGeek

martinr1000 wrote:
seven wrote:

cheers

Can't remember if that was the name but it probably was, I didnt write the code, found it online. Next pack i built i wantthe cyclotron lights to slowly fade as the next light turns on.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:09 pm 

Service Number: A17/TQ1.0.83083E5
seven wrote:
martinr1000 wrote:
seven wrote:

cheers

Can't remember if that was the name but it probably was, I didnt write the code, found it online. Next pack i built i wantthe cyclotron lights to slowly fade as the next light turns on.

That's easy to do with incandescents.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:51 pm 

seven wrote:
martinr1000 wrote:
seven wrote:

cheers

If it's the same code as mine you can probably just tweak what's already there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6RJXqUei0Q

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:00 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
So sort of a funny story in learning where NOT to work. My wife basically begged to work from home after the schools shut down. They denied it. She wanted to use her PTO (paid time off) and they denied it (and all use of PTO companywide). She quit (and had to forfeit 3 weeks of paid time off that she had earned but was not allowed to use). 10 days later, in the middle of the day, they send everyone home with instructions to start working from home. They had multiple employees test positive! So...did she "get out just in time" or are we fools for not sticking it out juuuuuust a bit longer? Who knows. Not long after sending everyone home, her former coworkers start texting her the latest update. Forced use of vacation days from everyone left! Everyone has to take one day off a week, using their PTO, and the managers decide what day, not the employees. Suffice to say, when things get back to normal, my wife will NOT be reapplying for her old job. Those guys are dicks!

(apologies to anyone who wants to work and is not able to. Luckily we had the option but still I felt the need to rant a bit)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:31 pm 
GarageGeek

Yo big that is some bullshit, its wild to see how businesses and people are just eating eachother alive during this whole thing.
The WHOLE damn picture should change after seeing how everyone behaved during this shit. Hardly anybody really looks out for eachother, it's dog eat dog out there. Im not patriotic in the mainstream sense, floating around in my pool on the 4th with an American flag tanktop and a budweiser yelling about how were the greatest while the cops raid our party for a noise complaint and shoot our dog, but I am patriotic in the long gone oldschoool way. And godamn am I embarrassed of where I live right now. I feel like everybody is laughing at us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:51 am 

Service Number: A12/TQ2.0.22147E1
Believe me, I'm ashamed to be human sometimes...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 1:48 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
bigbisont wrote:
So sort of a funny story in learning where NOT to work. My wife basically begged to work from home after the schools shut down. They denied it. She wanted to use her PTO (paid time off) and they denied it (and all use of PTO companywide). She quit (and had to forfeit 3 weeks of paid time off that she had earned but was not allowed to use). 10 days later, in the middle of the day, they send everyone home with instructions to start working from home. They had multiple employees test positive! So...did she "get out just in time" or are we fools for not sticking it out juuuuuust a bit longer? Who knows. Not long after sending everyone home, her former coworkers start texting her the latest update. Forced use of vacation days from everyone left! Everyone has to take one day off a week, using their PTO, and the managers decide what day, not the employees. Suffice to say, when things get back to normal, my wife will NOT be reapplying for her old job. Those guys are dicks!

(apologies to anyone who wants to work and is not able to. Luckily we had the option but still I felt the need to rant a bit)

A lot of it stems from god less business management. You will find many of the more successful businesses implement business practices set forth in the bible. Business by the book outlines may of these principles. It is vitally important that everyone learns that that basis of running a business is the only way to maintain longer term longetivity…

A lot of this treatment of sorts will trickle down to the community and will haunt the company after things start ramping back up. It won't be immediate and will take a while. That is why some businesses setup shop and then move to a new city after a few years or months.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:18 am 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
I've just been able to log in today after being away since April 3rd. I got "eliminated due to restructuring due to the virus" at the company I have worked at for 16 years. Talk about a soulless company. And this was a company that prided itself on being a family oriented, Christian company. Although I am now suspecting that they had been planning on cutting my loose but saw this whole virus thing as a way of trying not to make themselves look like bastards....which didn't work. So anyway, I had to start using a different computer but forgot my password and all the "forgot your password/we'll send it to you" and "contact admin" got me nowhere. To whoever is in charge of checking the admin email, you might want to look into that.

I finally figured out today what my password is.

I haven't truly "missed" anything as I have still been checking in and reading, just haven't been able to post.

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject: bullshit
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:48 am 
GarageGeek

That is some bullshit Bob, really sorry to hear that. This lockdown is making people show their true colors in a massive way.
Get yourself some whisky and chinese food and dive into some Aliens stuff.

burn-down-the-building.jpg
burn-down-the-building.jpg [ 10.25 KiB | Viewed 4293 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:53 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
knoxvilles_joker wrote:
A lot of it stems from god less business management. You will find many of the more successful businesses implement business practices set forth in the bible.

Oh my dude, with the greatest respect for your personal beliefs and freedoms, I find this sort of thinking frustrating and offensive. You are basically saying (by extension, whether you meant to or not), that godless people have no moral code.
This is frankly, ignorant and not true. If anything, it could be argued that atheists have a more altruistic moral code as it's not based on the idea of reward vs punishment after death.

Anyways, best keep religion off the forums, I think.
As an aside, I recommend you watch some of Ricky Gervais' standup, it's excellent and it may get you thinking about your beliefs [not meaning changing them, but I think it's important to be challenged from time to time].

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:37 am 
GarageGeek

escapepod..jpg
escapepod..jpg [ 20.32 KiB | Viewed 4289 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 11:44 am 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

septic wrote:
Oh my dude, with the greatest respect for your personal beliefs and freedoms, I find this sort of thinking frustrating and offensive. You are basically saying (by extension, whether you meant to or not), that godless people have no moral code.
This is frankly, ignorant and not true.

He's not quite saying that. You're assuming. He said many of the best business practices, not all of them. It does not follow that he is proclaiming atheists to be immoral demons, or anything.

Many (but not all) of our laws are also based on The Bible, as is much of what peple generally consider to be 'decent society'.
However, something being based on The Bible does not necessarily mean it is a raging televangelist, or whatever.

Besides, the idea of Best Business Practice coming from religion is nothing new - https://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/fa ... -practices

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 1:12 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
Just a very quick reminder of the forum rules folks:

Quote:
2b. No discussions of 'flame bait' materials- These types of discussions include: Sex or sexuality (homosexual, heterosexual, the merits or detraction of either), Race (any race is better/smarter/stronger/etc. than any other), Religion (and related discussions of the relevance or merits/detraction of any given personal belief system or religious group) and the old favorite, Politics. Such discussions will be locked and/or deleted. Just ask yourself regarding these types of discussions: WWAD (What Would Apone Do?)

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:06 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Oops + apologies all.

This forum is one of the most accepting and encouraging placing on the internet, I'd certainly like to keep that vibe.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:06 am 
GarageGeek

That's easy to do with incandescents.[/quote]

that makes sense, Maybe I'l switch out the cyclotron lights. I dont know much electrical theory but I'll go hunting for how to do that. I think it's a really important detail to have the precious light fade out in the cyclotron. Hope works going good with the prop/resin kit stuff.