The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Pulse Rifle/Thompson microswitch trigger...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:52 am 

FYI.

I have been working with a guy, that makes microswitch triggers for P90 and FN2000 AEG’s, to make a microswitch trigger version for Thompson AEG’s/ Pulse Rifles. We are getting close to testing the prototype out on a working Thompson, probably in the next month or so.

This upgrade should help improve trigger responsiveness over the old trigger contacts set up, and when combined with a mosfet, and a good AEG motor, bring our AEGs the same kind of snappy trigger responsiveness and positive feel as current, top of the line AEGs do, today.

I will let everyone know how it goes, and if everything is good, post the source of supply!

Post subject: Re: Pulse Rifle/Thompson microswitch trigger...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:00 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Got a price point?

What about the mg42 replicas evike sells?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:42 pm 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Interesting / interested.

@K_Joker: the LCT M60-001 Replacement Trigger Switch Assembly might be a substitute, if you're needing one ...
https://www.evike.com/products/74198/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:08 am 

Just got an email from the guy making the microswitch trigger unit. He sent me a video and a few pictures, showing the new microswitch trigger in action, it looks really good. He is about to ship me the prototype switch back for me to try out and run it through the paces.

I am going to confirm with him but it appears, at this stage it may need to be a 1:1 trade, so he can use the “trigger” piece that the finger pulls to fire the gun, unless there can be a source found for the unique peices that cant be fabricated.

Should be getting pics and a video of the prototype up soon, and the update y’all on the progress.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:11 am 

knoxvilles_joker wrote:
Got a price point?

The switch is in the prototype stage , and we are about to test it in the field. I am hoping that we can knock it out of the park on the first swing but we shall see.

I am not sure how similar the MG42 trigger assembly is to the Thomspons, he would to the very least need a gearbox with trigger and motor, in order to design and test the switch.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:53 pm 

Whamhammer wrote:
knoxvilles_joker wrote:
Got a price point?

The switch is in the prototype stage , and we are about to test it in the field. I am hoping that we can knock it out of the park on the first swing but we shall see.

I am not sure how similar the MG42 trigger assembly is to the Thomspons, he would to the very least need a gearbox with trigger and motor, in order to design and test the switch.

I will be willing to buy the second prototype and report back on testing and install. We can discuss that further in the px section at whatever point you are ready for that.

And once I get further along in my budget savings plan I can see about direct shipping an mg42 gearbox assembly to you. The buggers are notorious for burning out as the drum in them holds 2000 6mm bb's...

The thing that gets me is we still have not perfected a case-less bullet as of yet as the heat issues cause premature firing on extended fires. The closest we can come at this point is a rail gun regarding what we saw in the movie. And in all actuality with some much beefier gearboxes, we could actually achieve a very close movie weapon with just bb's...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:25 am 

I know the price point in the P90 and FN2000 is around $40.00 USD, presuming around that price point.

He also carries mosfets, and can prewire them on the trigger for an extra cost.

I have a link of the video on Facebook, not sure if its viewable to all:

https://m.facebook.com/100028450740950/ ... dp=1&mdf=1

Please note that I am not the representative of the person doing the work, so I cant speak for him on any work you are interested in having him do. When he is ready to make a production item out of the microswitch/ or not, I will forward contact info, or even see if he is willing to come over here for a few posts.

As fat as caseless ammo, I am not sure what are are talking about, real steel? This post inst about real steel.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:30 am 

Whamhammer wrote:
I know the price point in the P90 and FN2000 is around $40.00 USD, presuming around that price point.

He also carries mosfets, and can prewire them on the trigger for an extra cost.

I have a link of the video on Facebook, not sure if its viewable to all:

https://m.facebook.com/100028450740950/ ... dp=1&mdf=1

Please note that I am not the representative of the person doing the work, so I cant speak for him on any work you are interested in having him do. When he is ready to make a production item out of the microswitch/ or not, I will forward contact info, or even see if he is willing to come over here for a few posts.

As fat as caseless ammo, I am not sure what are are talking about, real steel? This post inst about real steel.

The AEG assembly for the mg42 is about 200 USD. There are no real aftermarket alternatives. The same could have been said about the Thompson Maraui until you.

Caseless ammo is what they used in the science fiction universe. In our case we are using plastic bb's. In a real to life comparison if we can amp up the FPS to about 2000 you would power comparable to a real bullet.

I tend to ramble a bit if I do not have sufficient caffeine in my system, so apologies for that. My mind tends to go in 20 directions all the time all at the same time and I am usually chewing on three different problems at the same time at any given point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:55 pm 

I recieved the microswitch yesterday, so far looks good. I need to break the lower down and wire it in.

Its set up for direct mosfet install, trigger wired to (Gate dual wire) mosfet, power/mosfet to motor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:39 pm 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Take some pics of your install please 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:19 am 

Let us know how it works and how easy the install was.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:06 am 

knoxvilles_joker wrote:
Let us know how it works and how easy the install was.

I did receive the microswitch trigger but am having issues with it firing; I think I need to wile the programming on my Warfet, and do a fresh start on it.

As far as pictures, it looks almost exactly like a standard Thompson trigger, and installs the same. The main difference is the the Gate trigger wires go from the microswitch to the mosfet, and the battery wires go straight to the motor.

I ended up putting a M120 spring to get it to ~1.49J) in my Thompson that I tested the switch with, and put the standard trigger back, to take it to the airsoft field on Saturday, and with .30g bbs, I was the longest reaching, non DMR AEG on the field but I was using iron sights. Inside of 150 feet, I was wrecking shop with it. Half the guys that I played with want a Thompson now, especially after I let them shoot it.

I might just have leaked out the worlds worst kept secret on how good the Thompson platform is versus the M4 and others! :)

Last edited by Whamhammer on Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:52 am 

I figured out why the microswitch trigger wasn’t working; I had the Warfet set to “Stock Wired”, when I needed to have the setting for “Hard Wired” for the trigger.

The issues that are now needing to be overcome are that the wires need to be about 7 inches longer, and the selector plate isn’t able to stop the trigger from being able to be pulled.

More updates, as they come.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:28 pm 

Update on the microswitch trigger.

I tested the microswitch trigger for a little bit, and the trigger response is good, the main issues needing to be looked at is that the wiring for the battery and mosfet are too short to make it through the stock, and that the selector plate wasnt blocking the trigger from moving when the safety was on.

I sent the builder an extra upper, lower, stock, pistol grip, and all of the selector plate pieces; so he can work out the last issues to a more skirmish-able piece. I’ll break down my pulse rifle to put the unit in, and take it to the field and run it through its paces. I will also do a test fit on both my plastic furnitured and wood furnitured Thompsons to ensure a good fit for them as well.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:38 pm 

Whamhammer wrote:
Update on the microswitch trigger.

I tested the microswitch trigger for a little bit, and the trigger response is good, the main issues needing to be looked at is that the wiring for the battery and mosfet are too short to make it through the stock, and that the selector plate wasnt blocking the trigger from moving when the safety was on.

I sent the builder an extra upper, lower, stock, pistol grip, and all of the selector plate pieces; so he can work out the last issues to a more skirmish-able piece. I’ll break down my pulse rifle to put the unit in, and take it to the field and run it through its paces. I will also do a test fit on both my plastic furnitured and wood furnitured Thompsons to ensure a good fit for them as well.

A brief update on the Thompson/Pulse Rifle microswitch trigger unit; the builder has been tied down with life and other work projects, so development is delayed a bit. He is hoping to have major progress by March 2021.

I really do believe that the trigger will help liven up Pulse Rifles and Thompson, make it much easier to integrate a full fledged mosfet (programmables), such as a Gate Warfet.

As progress is made, I will send updates.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:30 am 

The MK2 microswitch trigger is en route to me, right now, and should have it by the end of the week.

I am told that the travel for the trigger engagement is even shorter now, the length of the wiring is now where it needs to be, and the safety now locks out trigger movement.

I am going to test it out on the Thompson M1A1 first, and then see how it works out on the Pulse Rifle.

I am in the process of rewiring the Pulse rifle, so the routing will not be around the stocks area, and moving through the whole gun; just the front half of the receiver, to a hole through the shroud, and through the barrel vent, into a mock PEQ box (where the battery will be). The end result should look like the Pulse Rifle prop that Neil Blomkamp put out a few years ago, when he was working on “Alien 5”.

I am really excited about this because my local field just disallowed DMR’s, and I want to use something other than a Mayo4. This setup will put the Thompson and the Pulse Rifle at the same level of technology as any of the premium brand AEGs, shy of an optical trigger (which V6 models cant have, due to it being an external trigger unit).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:34 am 

Hi all,

I recieved the Mk2 prototype for the microswitch trigger unit, we have it in a fully working (and somewhat upgraded) Thompson. Trigger pull is shorter than that of a he standard contact style trigger that the replicas come with.

The test mule is a CYMA based Thompson M1A1:

-original gearset
-full metal rack piston
-Aluminum Piston head with bearings
-metal spring guide with bearings
-M120 spring,
-a non-ported cylinder
-Modify flat hop nub with black flat hop bucking
-300mm Madbull Steelbull 6.03mm stainless steel tightbore inner barrel
-ASG Infinity Ultimate 35000 RPM motor (not sure why I originally bought a 35k, but OK)
-Gate Warfet
-11.1v 15c 1100 Mah LiPo battery with deans
-Shadow Regime Airsoft prototype microswitch trigger unit

I’ve chronoed it at 1.47J (+/- .02J) with .32g Valken Bio BB’s with hop set for .32’s. The overvolumed sound of the AEG is fairly strong, and almost intimidating on full auto. People are going to know when this AEG starts shooting for sure!

With the Warfet set for Smart Trigger, and ROF dialed back to 50%, I am getting fantastic semi-auto trigger reaponse, and quick initial trigger response on full auto, with a ROF of ~12 RPS; which is about what the real Thompson M1A1’s was, and is more sustainable for full auto suppresive fire.

I am taking the Thompson to my local field tomorrow, and will see how it handles a full day of action!

Keep you guys posted!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:14 am 

So, I took my Thompson to the field to test the microswitch trigger out. I got through one game before the gearbox that I just built locked up; I forgot to Loktite the screw that held the metal pistonhead to the piston. (RIP metal piston head and screw, we barely knew ye!)

I got about 600 rounds through it, and let a bunch of people try it out. Trigger response is fantastic, I was able to hold the rate of fire down to 12 RPS with the Warfets smart trigger and ROF control (on an 11.1v).

The only real issue with the trigger was that the Thompson’s selector plate is too bendy, and wouldn’t always hold safety if the trigger was pulled with anything but the lightest finger. I remedied this by putting a thin coat of super glue and baking powder on the non-contact parts on the plate. SRA is looking to come up with an upgraded selector plate that can be used in olace of the flimsier factor ones.

I am bringing my Thompson as a backup to my M4 at an OP this weekend, so it may see some more trigger time. I am pretty happy with the progress!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:37 pm 

Hello all,

I have been working with the prototype Pulse Rifle/Thompson Microswitch Trigger Unit, and so far, the unit has performed very well.

The primary issue that I keep seeing is the trigger is able to push back on CYMA equipped selector plates (colored white) and move the selector cam enough from locked in "safe" to far enough out of the Three O'Clock position that the selector is in, to about 4 O'Clock, and the trigger can engage and fire as shot off if a person pulls on the trigger enough. This issue has not appeared on the Matrix/Snow Wolf equipped selector plates (colored black), as they are more rigid of a material.

The though is that we may have to custom make a selector plate of more solid materal, as to not allow the associated flex of the while selector plates.

Do many of you have a CYMA product?

Also, does anyone have a King Arms Thompson based gearbox and selector plate? I am curious as to what color and how rigid those are, I understand that their tappet plates are fairly strong but haven't heard anything on the selector plate.

ANy input will greatly help .

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:42 pm 

I brought the Pulse Rifle/Thompson Microswitch trigger, installed in my M1A1 Thompson replica to the local fields D-Day event. The Warfet regulated the ROF down the 12 RPS on an 11.1v, and the “smart trigger” mode kept the initial trigger response fantastic before drawing down the voltage for lower ammo consumption.

I used the SMG in a more appropriate suppression role and put over 2,500 rounds through it; no hiccups from the trigger assembly, mosfet, or the rest of the repica. Some of the other players that had Thompsons tried the replicas trigger out and were very impressed.

The firms website that is developing the M-Trigger has a picture of the current design, and more information on the M-Triggers that they offer, and how they work. I recommend checking the site out, and sign upnfor updates!

https://www.srairsoft.com/