The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: THIS time of year (Nov/Dec) :(
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:49 pm 
Officers - Making simple s**t hard since 1775

Service Number: A07/TQ1.0.52135E1
I notice I posted something similar around the same time last year, however I don't know what it is about November and particularly December, but it really does seem to bring out the absolute WORST in me.

Feel really down, everything seems like a major chore, get overly emotional, life seems to be a drag etc...

This year seems to be the worst I've been in a long time, which I think might be because I've got a couple of major projects on the go, which is interferring with my day-to-day stuff, plus I've had a couple of major things go wrong (well, major-ish anyway), and seem to be struggling to find the time to get everything done.

Was at MCM Comic Con a couple of weeks back with Andy (Nostromo) and some other Aliens and Predator costumers and just wasn't in the mood at all, indeed after Day 1 was about ready for calling quits on the hobby altogethor. However, following a pleasant evening out with some friends, a decent nights sleep at the hotel and a less hectic Day 2, actualy enjoyed myself and reconsidered.

So anyway, guess what I'm asking is, does anyone else feel down around this time of year and how do you get through it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:48 pm 

Service Number: A06/TQ1.0.02140E1
im the opposite I absolutely love this time of year cold frosty mornings xmas almost here woohoo but I have noticed on my facebook more and more posts from friends who are finding it harder

Post subject: Re: THIS time of year (Nov/Dec) :(
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:14 pm 

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.52160G1
As the years go by, yes, to a lesser degree than some.

I'm at a point where I wish I was celebrating in my own way, but, due to circumstances beyond my control, I'm still home. This year has been less depressing than previous years, but it's still . . . not as joyous as when I was little. Some of it might have to do with growing up, and some of it might have to do with me drifting apart, emotionally, from relatives. I've gotten more out of the Aliens community the last two years than I have from family in the last ten.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:23 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32151E1
Yup. After Hallowe'en, I just wanna hibernate til spring, seems to be the time of year for family deaths and all-round bad stuff :(

Props, cosplay pieces, upcycled ornamentation, and miscellanea;
For the discerning survivor of the apocalypse.
Steve Fletcher : Maker, Scavenger, and Junksmith.
linktr.ee/wastelandworkshop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:46 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
The holiday season is hard for a lot of people. It's not always "joyful". The weather is unpredictable and impacts us emotionally and physically. It's a time of high stress and anxiety for financial obligations and work is shortened due to "Holiday time". There's not as much sun which also affects us in many ways. Then there's an emphasis on getting together with family. Some family are no longer with us and it creates a sadness. Some family can be toxic and feeling obligated to be in the same room as someone may cause stress. Some family may have limited time left which lingers in other's thoughts.

Media tells us we should be grateful, and yet strive for those perfect moments. It tells us we need to spend this much money in order to get these gifts which give the best reactions and "love". If you're lonely, it almost becomes unbearable just how lonely you feel as everyone around you is off somewhere with family.

Totally normal, and I'm sorry you are experiencing this all. Don't worry about anything or anyone but you. Make sure you have what you need to get through it.

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:46 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Part of it is light and daylight savings. Another is unprocessed emotional trauma. The holidays often times cause such things to rise to the surface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:09 pm 

Thanks for the replies.

So, how does anyone afflicted by this get by?

Been struggling somewhat of late.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:36 pm 

SimonT wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

So, how does anyone afflicted by this get by?

Been struggling somewhat of late.

I stay focused on my hobbies, and try to go places as often as I can, just to avoid cabin fever and keep the creative juices flowing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:15 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
You might have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) mate.
Lack of sunlight is the main cause, you can buy lights that counter it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:24 pm 

88reaper88 wrote:
You might have Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) mate.
Lack of sunlight is the main cause, you can buy lights that counter it.

Vitamin D supplements as well.

Fish and avocado have it. I think walnuts contain it, too. I could be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:43 pm 

I do suffer with SAD, I've got one of those lamps, not sure if it has any effect though?

I had just about got through my depressive bout, but now theres been a death in the family, which seems to have kicked things off again :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:36 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
SimonT wrote:
I do suffer with SAD, I've got one of those lamps, not sure if it has any effect though?

I had just about got through my depressive bout, but now theres been a death in the family, which seems to have kicked things off again :(

Well two weeks before x-mas my step father died from his fight against chem/bio weapon exposure (he worked at a facility where they dismantled the stuff from Korea and WWII) after 10 years of suffering. That was 10 or so years ago.

My dad's mother passed away a week before thanksgiving.

Both of my grandpa's passed away around labor day week.

My mom's mother passed away a few weeks after new years.

I just try to stay busy and keep my mind occupied. Activity staves off a lot of depression.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:25 pm 

knoxvilles_joker wrote:

I just try to stay busy and keep my mind occupied. Activity staves off a lot of depression.

I've been trying to do the same, but the trouble is I really don't seem to be enjoying my hobbies at the mo.

Had a bad experience at my last con (a combination of lots of little things), which almost caused me to stop costuming altogethor.

Seem to be forcing myself to finish the GRiD conversion, which seems to have become a bit of a millstone round the neck and my website (which is my other hobby) I'm basically only updating when I'm forced to.

Hoping I'll start to feel a bit more human come new year. Just wish I was able to change my personal circumstances, but being an introvert and a bit socially awkward, it's not easy.