The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: My new acquisition.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:03 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J82Pp_W_cHI

Once I get a replacement tripod I will be doing a post con carnage video.

Post subject: Re: My new acquisition.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:39 am 

I am going through the various paces to get things as accurate as possible.

I will see if I can find a 1977 Husqvarna CR250 Magura 250 front brake lever to replace the replacement part I have.

The Kawasaki KZ550 Switch control housing assembly I will try to get as well so I can have an accurate wire pigtail.

I am still researching on the camera. They used an IR camera in the movie. FLIR and LIDAR units will substantially increase the build cost so I will probably stick with Gen1 IR if I can find a bullet camera that would work.

I have parts on the way to try and relocate the battery in to the chest piece.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:21 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Nice work :)

Need to have some static pics too please [to this thread], cause MOAR Smartguns = GUD!!!!!1111!!! :D + 8)

P.s. I'd not get toooo hung up on the Magura lever as technically it isn't confirmed; best efforts I reckon (speaking as someone that has 6 Magura levers, none of which are the right length :roll: ).

Last edited by septic on Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:19 am 

The screen used camera housing is pretty compact, I'm not sure if you can find a true Gen 1 monocular that will fit. That being said, just a regular camera with removed filters and some IR spotlight should be enough for con use.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:44 pm 

M1861 wrote:
The screen used camera housing is pretty compact, I'm not sure if you can find a true Gen 1 monocular that will fit. That being said, just a regular camera with removed filters and some IR spotlight should be enough for con use.

I am looking at a bullet camera. The broadcast and distribution is going to be the key.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:47 pm 

A bullet camera should fit, I got a little confused since you mentioned Gen 1 NV and those true image intensifiers are usually pretty chunky (and they also have atrocious image quality)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:51 pm 

M1861 wrote:
A bullet camera should fit, I got a little confused since you mentioned Gen 1 NV and those true image intensifiers are usually pretty chunky (and they also have atrocious image quality)

Actually the night vision security cameras can be extremely small. You pay for the small size though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:01 am 

Post con repairs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbJR1ECl-xg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:50 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Some constructive criticism if I may - might wanna not have background noise [Aliens :delta: :D ], as quite hard to hear, esp when you're not facing the mic. Also, if you want to hold your audiences' attention, consider talking through what you are doing and why (pretty much constantly - I don't know if you've watched any cooking competition shows, but they're pretty good for this sort of thing [for eg].

Nice looking Smartie btw :)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:13 am 

septic wrote:
Some constructive criticism if I may - might wanna not have background noise [Aliens :delta: :D ], as quite hard to hear, esp when you're not facing the mic. Also, if you want to hold your audiences' attention, consider talking through what you are doing and why (pretty much constantly - I don't know if you've watched any cooking competition shows, but they're pretty good for this sort of thing [for eg].

Nice looking Smartie btw :)

I have been looking at getting an adapter to hook up my omnidirectional microphone to my phone for better pickup. The other issue is that I am less than 200 feet from a main interstate artery so there is a bit of background noise.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 2:01 am 

My god that is an amazing weapon. Love how it really works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:08 pm 

How much fps you getting? Love it!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:24 am 

enough to get a good 100 feet out. I do not want to turn up the pressure any as the gearboxes in that particular model series is prone to failure and 250 a pop to replace.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:14 am 

knoxvilles_joker wrote:
enough to get a good 100 feet out. I do not want to turn up the pressure any as the gearboxes in that particular model series is prone to failure and 250 a pop to replace.

What brand AEG is it? G&G or A&K?

I have seen HPA conversions for MG42 replicas, an HPA line wouldn’t be much to hide in all of that gear.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:32 pm 

Whamhammer wrote:
knoxvilles_joker wrote:

I have seen HPA conversions for MG42 replicas, an HPA line wouldn’t be much to hide in all of that gear.

Whichever one came in the unit from evike. If there is a marking on the top inside the bolt assembly I can look for any tell tales.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:01 am 

knoxvilles_joker wrote:
Whamhammer wrote:
knoxvilles_joker wrote:

Whichever one came in the unit from evike. If there is a marking on the top inside the bolt assembly I can look for any tell tales.

Evike sells the G&G brand MG42, but thats $1,800; the Matrix branded MG42 is an A&K.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:36 am 

Whamhammer wrote:

I have seen HPA conversions for MG42 replicas, an HPA line wouldn’t be much to hide in all of that gear.[/quote]

Whichever one came in the unit from evike. If there is a marking on the top inside the bolt assembly I can look for any tell tales.[/quote]

Evike sells the G&G brand MG42, but thats $1,800; the Matrix branded MG42 is an A&K.[/quote]

I got the cheaper one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:22 pm 

I am wrapping up or trying to wrap up my mark6 predator upgrades. Tuning code after spending three months getting comms working between a wiimote and raspberry pi was very frustrating. Mark7 to follow but I intend to finish smart gunner upgrades first.

I almost have the HUD piece code sorted, but I have to do the coding from home as there is zero GPS reception at work. Something to do with geography and lots of concrete.

If they ever come out with an enhanced LORAN, not to be confused with LORA which is the repurposed 900mhz frequency stuff. I will switch to that as that would be more in line with 80s tech.

The onsite gun camera is going to be a pyle backup camera mounted on a picatanny rail. Same for the helmet cam as the 3-d files from matt actually fit it perfectly. I will take hits for 100% accuracy as I attempt to get 100% real world functionality.

I would note that this HUD setup can be varied and go onto an ar15 platform with relative ease and is actually a derivative of some of the current work DARPA is doing with their advanced warrior program. That part kind of spooked the hell out of me over how easy some of this build could be used for nefarious things.

I was at a bit of a tossup as some of the builds could be updated with HD output for providing feed to local news orgs and con video folks of cons on a FPS perspective but substantial modding is required to make things work. I will pursue that at a later point as I want to try and add lenses that are closer to the pentax look and all of those options actually alter the look more than a little bit.

As I do the final round of tweaks on the unit I will add pictures. And some more videos explaining the hows and the whys.