The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:05 am 

paradoxum wrote:
After playing I realised I don't like the stock being out all the way (even though it's the best if I am still and carefully aiming), the spring mechanism/plastinc inside broke a bit, so I just bolted it open all the way, I would like it to work again though, any suggestions on how to fix? can you get spare parts anywhere? I'll take a pic of what the internal looks like when I next take it apart.
https://i.imgur.com/NvcvB34.jpg
Also I cut a hole in the bottom of the mag cap to wind, but I ended up just taking it off when playing because I couldn't pull the mags out to relaod with it, anywhere in the UK / EU you can get spare caps? Evike has one for 12 bucks but shipping to the uk is even more than the part :/

To repair the stock pieces, you will have to more or less recreate the broken pieces; the alternative for an adjustable stock is listed on the link that follows http://www.rookscastle.com/tutorials/wiring.html you will have to adapt the way your rear sling mount is set up. Alternatively, if you can find one of the other positions to always feel better, you might be able to use a nut and bolt through the upper receiver to permanently hold the rifle stock in that position. I wish that someone would come up with metal replacement/retrofit parts for the stock adjustment components as plastic really isn't the answer.

As far as the magazine base goes, you have encountered the reason why the magazine the Pulse Rifle was equipped with isn't up to skirmishing, poor capacity and poor access for rewinding the mag. You need to use the longer stick mags (Thompson 30 round replicas) there is no other way around it.:

-30 round replica hicaps have about a 400 round capacity, plus more shots per wind, and winding wheels are instantly accessible.

-30 round replica midcaps (both 110 round and 60 round King Arms) require no winding and keep feeding until just about empty but have less shots per mag

Either of the above are the way to go.

As for the 20 round replicas that you have, I suggest buying a Thompson AEG as a fun gun (and backup parts for the PR) and use the 20 round mags in this gun, it will help out with ground clearance when going prone.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:18 am 

Erik_MAA wrote:
For the shotgun, Dong San makes an Ithaca 37.

I bought mine from RedWolf Airsoft. You can occasionally find them for sale using the HopUp app as well.

The Dong San is skirmishable, but there are better Airsoft shotguns out there if you don't care about being screen accurate.

For a spring gun the CYMA tri-shots are pretty good and come in a number of configurations.

The Maruzen 870s (and copies) are also decent, but they only fire one shot per trigger pull.

For gas, the Marui 870 is awesome.

The S&T shell-eject guns are neat, but for skirmishing not really practical because of the shell ejection.

Those are all good options. The biggest problem I see him having is that he wants to use a shotgun as a backup weapon, in a scabbard. Without serious modification of the shotgun and scabbard, I dont see how that addition wont negatively impact his agility, comfort, and functionality/survival of the shotgun. To not have the shotgun moving all around in the scabbard and to not let it fall out in extreme movements, the shotgun is going to need to be further secured or even tethered/strapped down, making accessing it hard. Putting the shotgun and scabbard in a position that isnt awkward/uncomfortable could also be difficult. It also seems like the extreme snub nosed versions arent what he wants, nor is going without a scabbard, as it doesnt meet the “Hicks” aesthetic.

I could see it put in a scabbard on an assault pack but that wont help him much in game.

A lot of these reasons are why one doesn't see too many shotguns as secondary weapons carried by infantry units today, unless used as a masterkey.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:30 pm 

Whamhammer wrote:
Erik_MAA wrote:

I bought mine from RedWolf Airsoft. You can occasionally find them for sale using the HopUp app as well.

The Dong San is skirmishable, but there are better Airsoft shotguns out there if you don't care about being screen accurate.

For a spring gun the CYMA tri-shots are pretty good and come in a number of configurations.

The Maruzen 870s (and copies) are also decent, but they only fire one shot per trigger pull.

The S&T shell-eject guns are neat, but for skirmishing not really practical because of the shell ejection.

Those are all good options. The biggest problem I see him having is that he wants to use a shotgun as a backup weapon, in a scabbard. Without serious modification of the shotgun and scabbard, I dont see how that addition wont negatively impact his agility, comfort, and functionality/survival of the shotgun. To not have the shotgun moving all around in the scabbard and to not let it fall out in extreme movements, the shotgun is going to need to be further secured or even tethered/strapped down, making accessing it hard. Putting the shotgun and scabbard in a position that isnt awkward/uncomfortable could also be difficult. It also seems like the extreme snub nosed versions arent what he wants, nor is going without a scabbard, as it doesnt meet the “Hicks” aesthetic.

I could see it put in a scabbard on an assault pack but that wont help him much in game.

A lot of these reasons are why one doesn't see too many shotguns as secondary weapons carried by infantry units today, unless used as a masterkey.

Not really as a backup weapon, mostly for aesthetics - i'll have a 1911/x-five in a dropleg holster as a secondary, I was looking at this shottie to have mounted in a scabbard attached to my back on the hydration pouch: https://www.evike.com/products/31211/ pretty cheap, short, looks the business.

https://imgur.com/a/xEAHi3c

I was thinking of taking my gear to a local sewing place and have them put molle stuff on the sides of the hydro pouch so I can have the shotgun scabbard mounted on the side of it, something simple like this: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/2032034 ... r-for-lara on the right-side of the back pouch.

Mostly just for aesthetics like I say, and it won't weigh much.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:20 am 

paradoxum wrote:
Whamhammer wrote:
Erik_MAA wrote:

Not really as a backup weapon, mostly for aesthetics - i'll have a 1911/x-five in a dropleg holster as a secondary, I was looking at this shottie to have mounted in a scabbard attached to my back on the hydration pouch: https://www.evike.com/products/31211/ pretty cheap, short, looks the business.

https://imgur.com/a/xEAHi3c

I was thinking of taking my gear to a local sewing place and have them put molle stuff on the sides of the hydro pouch so I can have the shotgun scabbard mounted on the side of it, something simple like this: https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/2032034 ... r-for-lara on the right-side of the back pouch.

Mostly just for aesthetics like I say, and it won't weigh much.

To the very least, get a tri-shot, so you can retain some degree of effectiveness with gear that you are carrying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:25 am 

https://www.wgcshop.com/products?search ... otgun-wood

think I'll get this. it's cheapish, light, small, seems decent even though it's mostly aesthetics, and best of all somewhere actually has it in stock.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:47 pm 

On the subject of Thompson upgrades again, is it worth getting different aftermarket gears, nozzles, shims, piston, things like that?

So far:
nub / bucking
barrel
motor
swapping battery connectors with deans / replace wiring loom with 16 gauge wire

mosfet (still need to find a good cheap one)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:56 am 

paradoxum wrote:
On the subject of Thompson upgrades again, is it worth getting different aftermarket gears, nozzles, shims, piston, things like that?

So far:
nub / bucking
barrel
motor
swapping battery connectors with deans / replace wiring loom with 16 gauge wire

mosfet (still need to find a good cheap one)

There is no real need to swap out the internals, unless there is a problem with them.:

The cylinder head and nozzle will need to come from the same manufacturer to make sure they seal correctly, just make sure the original cylinder head has a great seal at the cylinder and the pipe coming out of the cylinder head (that the nozzle goes over), use RTV Silicone (gasket sealer) if all else fails to seal.

The piston assemblies that I have seen in the gearboxes seem good enough, unless one is trying to make 30+ rps gun or a high fps gun. Just make sure the o-ring is good to seal against the cylinder, and make sure its lubed with the same gear lube that is made for aeg gears.

The gears arent the worlds best but they arent that bad, assuming they arent used in a high rps/fps build, keep them well lubed and a good shimming will help them.

Plastic bushings should be swapped for metal bushings but the sets that I have used required some grinding down of the part of the bushing on the inside and outside of the gearbox, I dont know why that was, I used a set from Guarder and another one from Prometheus, same deal. I dont think the plastic bushings will melt themselves unless one continuously runs the gearbox to where it overheats and melts them, they just aren't as strong as a good set of metal will be.

Cylinder, the stock one is fine, just get some Brass-O and polish it to a shine on the inside and out; I also polished any area of the gearbox that would see friction.

One item that I highly recommend is a full metal spring seat with bearings in it, to keep the spring from binding, and improved consistency ( must be for a version 6 gearbox though).

As far as mosfets go, look at some of the lower cost Gates, they should work fine but I am sure that your local shop should have a good, budget friendly mosfet that should work well for you.

The nice thing is that you cant get a Gate Titan for a version 6, so you can immediately slap all of the bling-nerds that want people to spend more on a mosfet than the value of most peoples guns. They are really only good for extreme ROF guns or people that dont really want to move thier fingers to pull the trigger (ie trigger spamming speedsofters).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:23 pm 

https://i.imgur.com/RiEb1Gn.jpg

Upgrades all got now, going to have a local guy do it for me because even though I could probably do it all myself, I'd rather just pay someone to do it and get a working gun back etc without all the effort.

So to summarise:
- (M41A) MadBull 6.03mm (300mm) Black Python Barrel (Version 2) - £40.50

- (M41A) ASG Infinity Ultimate CNC 30k RPM Motor (Short) - £59.99

- (M41A) Maple Leaf Hop Up Tensioner (Omega Nub) - £6.00

- (M41A) Maple Leaf Macaron Hop Rubber Bucking 60 Degrees (AEG) - £7.50

- (M41A) Nuprol M110 AEG Spring - £21.98
- (M41A) GATE NanoAAB 3rd Gen. Active Breaking MOSFET - £21.98

M41A Ammo Counter Mod / Rewiring
- (M41A) Nano-Tech 300Mah 2S 7.4v 35-70C LiPo for Ammo Counter - £6.25
- (M41A) JST-XH 2S LiPo Extension Cable for Ammo Counter - £2.25
- (M41A) JST Y Extension Cable for Ammo Counter - £3.95
- (M41A) 16AWG 1 Meter Black Wire - £1.39
- (M41A) 16AWG 1 Meter Red Wire - £1.39
- (M41A) 16AWG 1 Meter Green Wire - £1.19
- (M41A) 16AWG 1 Meter Brown Wire - £1.19
- (M41A) 16AWG 1 Meter Yellow Wire - £1.19

will that do me for a while and I can get into things like bushings and gears / piston etc later?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:34 pm 

paradoxum wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/RiEb1Gn.jpg

Upgrades all got now, going to have a local guy do it for me because even though I could probably do it all myself, I'd rather just pay someone to do it and get a working gun back etc without all the effort.

So to summarise:
- (M41A) MadBull 6.03mm (300mm) Black Python Barrel (Version 2) - £40.50

- (M41A) ASG Infinity Ultimate CNC 30k RPM Motor (Short) - £59.99

- (M41A) Maple Leaf Hop Up Tensioner (Omega Nub) - £6.00

- (M41A) Maple Leaf Macaron Hop Rubber Bucking 60 Degrees (AEG) - £7.50

- (M41A) Nuprol M110 AEG Spring - £21.98
- (M41A) GATE NanoAAB 3rd Gen. Active Breaking MOSFET - £21.98

M41A Ammo Counter Mod / Rewiring
- (M41A) Nano-Tech 300Mah 2S 7.4v 35-70C LiPo for Ammo Counter - £6.25
- (M41A) JST-XH 2S LiPo Extension Cable for Ammo Counter - £2.25
- (M41A) JST Y Extension Cable for Ammo Counter - £3.95
- (M41A) 16AWG 1 Meter Black Wire - £1.39
- (M41A) 16AWG 1 Meter Red Wire - £1.39
- (M41A) 16AWG 1 Meter Green Wire - £1.19
- (M41A) 16AWG 1 Meter Brown Wire - £1.19
- (M41A) 16AWG 1 Meter Yellow Wire - £1.19

will that do me for a while and I can get into things like bushings and gears / piston etc later?

I wouldn't mess with the bushings unless they a plastic/nylon, the gears will be fine just make sure the gearbox is well shimmed (a good set of V6 gears are over $100.00 USD). If the piston is fine, I wouldn't mess with it. Be sure to polish up the cylinder though.

Make sure the shop prepares the bucking and nub for flat hopping.

Ask them to move the fuse towards the connector for the battery, for easy replacement if it ever blows, its usually glued to the ammo loading port for the “shotguns” ammo tube at the bottom of the GL, and is a pain to access if you need to replace it.

With a M110 spring and a decent seal/tight-bore barrel, you should be looking around 360 or so FPS with .20g

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:46 pm 

thanks, passed the flat hopping bit on. they have the gun now and will start work on it after 2 others they have in front of me. I think the mosfet has a fuse in it too doesn't it? as long as I can get to it easily taking the shell apart I don't see the problem really unless you expect it to go all the time

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:48 am 

paradoxum wrote:
thanks, passed the flat hopping bit on. they have the gun now and will start work on it after 2 others they have in front of me. I think the mosfet has a fuse in it too doesn't it? as long as I can get to it easily taking the shell apart I don't see the problem really unless you expect it to go all the time

The mosfet kind of acts like a fuse but I want a designed point of failure that I can determine, and easily fix. It’s up to you, I kept mine in as a built in redundancy, and swapping out (an easily accessible) fuse is easy and I dont want to bother taking things apart to do that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:50 am 

paradoxum wrote:

The mosfet kind of acts like a fuse but I want a designed point of failure that I can determine, and easily fix. It’s up to you, I kept mine in as a built in redundancy, and swapping out (an easily accessible) fuse is easy and I dont want to bother taking things apart to do that.

I also changed my fuse to a mini fuse as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:27 pm 

the mosfet doesn't work apparently. he even sent me a video, when he plugs another one in he had a blue light came on, but when he plugged mine in nothnig happened, so he can't put that in and now I gotta send this back for a replacement.

also, he almost had to break the metal housing around the motor to get the motor out he said, did you have that too?

also he said the motor was too big and so he also couldn't put that in so I need to send that back for a refund and get another, any suggestions (that will fit?), that was the ASG Infinity Ultimate CNC 30k RPM Motor (Short), I think you said that it fit in yours? did you do anything special to get it to fit?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:00 am 

paradoxum wrote:
the mosfet doesn't work apparently. he even sent me a video, when he plugs another one in he had a blue light came on, but when he plugged mine in nothnig happened, so he can't put that in and now I gotta send this back for a replacement.

also, he almost had to break the metal housing around the motor to get the motor out he said, did you have that too?

also he said the motor was too big and so he also couldn't put that in so I need to send that back for a refund and get another, any suggestions (that will fit?), that was the ASG Infinity Ultimate CNC 30k RPM Motor (Short), I think you said that it fit in yours? did you do anything special to get it to fit?

There isnt a reason as to why one would need to break the motor cage to get the motor out/in; it should be the same principles as removing the motor from an AKs motor cage. I didn't have to do anything special to get the job done. I have had Echo1 high torque short motors, and the ASG motor you had mentioned in your last post, and they fit just fine.

The news about the mosfet sucks. Kinda sounds like the M1A1 Thompson that I am prepping for a Battle of the Bulge Op that I taking part in, I think the wiring is getting intermittent short and bringing a binch of electrical resistance because I thought the battery was dying but the battery checked out OK, motor seems fine, I think that the wiring (and Tamiya connectors inside the receiver) so I am going to rewire the rear harness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:35 pm 

Well he did the work and charged £40 for it. he said with the M110 spring I sent it was chrono'ing at 370 fps and the site limit here is 350 so he didn't put the new spring in, I've bought an M100 that I'm gonna fit myself.

He said he used a Nuprol motor that cost about £50 so same as the one I included, he put that in for me for free.

The MOSFET was dead on arrival so I need to return that for a replacement.

But I reckon when the MOSFET is in and the M100 spring It's gonna be a damn gauss rifle :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:26 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Hey guys, can I politely request that you stop quoting each other when the post you are responding to is directly above your reply.
Needlessly bloats out the thread and makes it harder to follow.

If you're feeling really "civic minded", you could even go back and edit your previous posts to remove these quotes, or just keep in the sentences that are relevant ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:07 pm 

Apologies and noted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:39 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Sorry, bit late to the party ...
paradoxum wrote:
... also scabbard ideas?

8) Now this I have done :)

I love shotties (probably have 5 airsoft [excluding the ones in my 2 PRs] and 3 real steel).

My first back holster was made by me cutting up a cheap hydro molle pouch & taking the “pattern” in to a shoe repairers with super detailed [read: over the top] instructions on what I wanted.
I ended up giving it away to a mate, so I don’t think I’ve got a photo of it but it was a good, cheap start.
Next I bought an off-the-shelf offering, almost identical to this one, (didn't have the shell loops, and did have a retention strap) – https://www.voodootactical.net/voodoo-tactical-20-8916-breacher-s-shotgun-scabbard.html but didn’t really love it.

Both my 1st and this 2nd scabbard require quite a study [Read: full size] vest.

My latest “holster” is a bladetech one and it’s great. Similar to this one but about twice as long (and I didn't pay anything like that for it!) - https://www.toysoldier.com.hk/product/detail/1006
Attachment:
My airsoft rig.jpg
My airsoft rig.jpg [ 1.59 MiB | Viewed 6981 times ]

Apologies for the blurry.

Semi-related: I’ve also used a cordless drill holster for my airsoft cutdown M79 [40mm grenade launcher], so that’s another possible option, next time you’re kicking around Home Depot :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:52 pm 

That's a nice back shotty holster.

This is how I have mine: https://imgur.com/a/Hi7F8N1

So far I have not even pulled it out once during combat. it's really just for aesthetics and the "I like to keep this handy *cocks* for close encounters." moments.

My Golden Eagle M870 isn't the same as Hicks (I think he has a modified police issue version) but I like the wood, gives me a mad max / evil dead feel.

Post subject: Re: Snow wolf/matrix Pulse rifle upgrades
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:54 pm 

Found a diff shell launcher: https://www.evike.com/products/83416/

fit like this?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 12:53 am 

paradoxum wrote:

fit like this?

Looks like you will have to tear down the GL area every time you want to reload it. I dont think it will have the room that you are looking for; while keeping the alignment.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:28 pm 

Whamhammer wrote:
paradoxum wrote:

fit like this?

Looks like you will have to tear down the GL area every time you want to reload it. I dont think it will have the room that you are looking for; while keeping the alignment.

you don't think simply leaving that bit of plastic that fits in that area off would leave enough space for reloading?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:04 am 

I don’t think your plan will work because I thing that the dimensions for the “loader” portion is too wide and long, I am also not sure how easy it will be to access the button to allow that portion to be freed up.

Another issue is that, I believe launch from that portion of the rifle, down a tube/barrel like that, will make the shot not go very far. I am pretty sure that the bb’s will bounce around in the “barrel” and start hitting the others.

The reason why the other setups work is because they actually used the barrel/inner barrel setup of the donor shotgun, or they were launching the bbs (almost) right out of the muzzle.

I might be wrong, but its worth it for you to investigate that possibility before going any further.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:24 am 

Whamhammer wrote:
I don’t think your plan will work because I thing that the dimensions for the “loader” portion is too wide and long, I am also not sure how easy it will be to access the button to allow that portion to be freed up.

Another issue is that, I believe launch from that portion of the rifle, down a tube/barrel like that, will make the shot not go very far. I am pretty sure that the bb’s will bounce around in the “barrel” and start hitting the others.

The reason why the other setups work is because they actually used the barrel/inner barrel setup of the donor shotgun, or they were launching the bbs (almost) right out of the muzzle.

I might be wrong, but its worth it for you to investigate that possibility before going any further.

When you talk about the BB's bouncing - like I think I might have said, I'd have to get a plastic tube and glue it into the spas cage from where the shotgun launcher is so the BBs actually fire out.

the main issue I am thinking is - where will the battery go? there's no more room inside, I'd have to lengthen the wires and maybe tape the battery around the top 'handle' - this is the biggest reason why I probably won't do this. as for now, I've finally got my M41A v6 gearbox fully upgraded and it is shooting perfectly and feeding BBs properly, glad I never have to take it apart again. I might just leave it as is. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet because of lockdown but i'm super impressed with the power and everything shooting targets in the back yard. I just hope it's not shooting over 350fps as that is the site limit - I need to get a new chronometer to check, but it only has an M95 spring in it right now so it SHOULD be fine, it is definitely way better than stock though.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:54 pm 

paradoxum wrote:
Whamhammer wrote:

When you talk about the BB's bouncing - like I think I might have said, I'd have to get a plastic tube and glue it into the spas cage from where the shotgun launcher is so the BBs actually fire out.

the main issue I am thinking is - where will the battery go? there's no more room inside, I'd have to lengthen the wires and maybe tape the battery around the top 'handle' - this is the biggest reason why I probably won't do this. as for now, I've finally got my M41A v6 gearbox fully upgraded and it is shooting perfectly and feeding BBs properly, glad I never have to take it apart again. I might just leave it as is. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet because of lockdown but i'm super impressed with the power and everything shooting targets in the back yard. I just hope it's not shooting over 350fps as that is the site limit - I need to get a new chronometer to check, but it only has an M95 spring in it right now so it SHOULD be fine, it is definitely way better than stock though.

I can read. Putting a plastic tube/barrel in the rifle will not stop the bbs from bouncing around on the way out of the gun, it just gives them a more direct path to go; its not like each bb port will have its own inner barrel and hop up. The concern is that one bb, striking another, will knock around all of the bbs, reducing velocity and stability; killing the range and accuracy of the volley. If the shot game from the edge of the muzzle of the gun, any errant bbs wouldnt ricochet, and disrupt the rest of the bbs.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next