The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Just a cool pic of Hudson
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:19 pm 

Just a cool pic of Hudson behind the scenes I thought I would share, probably been seen plenty of times but if not could be put somewhere like the armour, uniform and gear section for reference.

39D95C0F-A38E-4F31-BB68-774846880AD8.jpeg
39D95C0F-A38E-4F31-BB68-774846880AD8.jpeg [ 131.82 KiB | Viewed 2786 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:35 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
That's a scan of one of the continuity Polaroids that I have in the HHACA. Pretty cool indeed!

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:10 pm 

Brill! It just popped up on my Instagram feed. It’s great to see the behind the scenes shots!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:14 am 
GarageGeek

ive seen others from that dame day but not that one. its interesting how fucked up and ill fitted all his gear is. makes me wonder what they did to fit everything better and when. helmet cover, ab pad, chest armor,harness

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:48 am 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
seven wrote:
i...makes me wonder what they did to fit everything better and when. helmet cover, ab pad, chest armor,harness

Well that photo was taken at one of the costume fitting sessions, so presumably shortly after that before filming.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:50 pm 
GarageGeek

and more specifically what they did, which straps were ahortened, if any metal was cut, if actors traded armour ect. its something i really need to do with mine. i sure wish every production moment was on video. gives me hope though that ill get my fit right. Id love to hear from the wardrobe people everything they can remember about what happened in fitting and maintenance I worked in production for years and the wardrobe dept is totally crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:32 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Best part of that pic to me is the VP70 pistol/holster on his right hip (and lack of Hack kit). It even made it into the hive scene (filmed first) but was then dropped in favor of his hack kit in every other scene.

Kind of like Apone's knife in the Polaroid of the same series (which moved from shoulder pad in the photo to his right strap under his VP holster for the film).

Post subject: Re: Just a cool pic of Hudson
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:12 pm 

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.52160G1
The behind-the-scenes polaroids are probably the best parts about the film, next to the film itself.

I'm not sure what it is about pictures of Hudson that brighten my day, but they do. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:11 am 
GarageGeek

makes me wonder... does anyone know which fiberglass armor he was wearing when he supposedly slid into a wall to test its durability?
was it shaped the same as Terry English armor? who made it? this armor in the pic fits and looks weird. the trapezoids re really catching the light and looking angular, the neckline is so low. was this screen matched? what did they do to alter its fit? did they shorten the inner connecting tabs? I dont mean to spam but these are the questions ill be researching tonight.

Post subject: same hudson armor
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:28 am 
GarageGeek

heres a similar hudson continuity photo with the same armor I think. the neckline of the armor is much higher and the helmet cover has been fixed.

hudson 1.png
hudson 1.png [ 202.9 KiB | Viewed 2215 times ]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
seven wrote:
makes me wonder... does anyone know which fiberglass armor he was wearing when he supposedly slid into a wall to test its durability?
was it shaped the same as Terry English armor? who made it? this armor in the pic fits and looks weird. the trapezoids re really catching the light and looking angular, the neckline is so low. was this screen matched? what did they do to alter its fit? did they shorten the inner connecting tabs? I dont mean to spam but these are the questions ill be researching tonight.

Where did you hear that there was fiberglass armor? Unless new info has surfaced,
I was under the impression that all the armor was made by TE's shop, and of course metal.

Russ

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:28 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Russ Krook III wrote:
seven wrote:

Where did you hear that there was fiberglass armor? Unless new info has surfaced,
I was under the impression that all the armor was made by TE's shop, and of course metal.

Russ

I'll try to find sources when I can, but this account is basically the piecing together of 3 interviews.

1- Making of documentary when Bill Paxton tells a story of being dressed up and ordered by James Cameron to run into a wall (which he promptly did). Paxton recalls pieces went everywhere and it was back to the drawing board on the armor.
EDIT/Addition: Found the video, ~41:20 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V--gH9ayR-o

2- This story being brought up to Terry English and him outright denying it happened (at least to his armor). He said his work was strong from the start and Cameron never found it lacking.

3- A later interview with Terry (fairly recent. Within the last year I think and video posted to this board) where Terry recalls that James Cameron hired him after James decided fiberglass armour was not a viable option. He needed a real armourer with metal armour.
Edit: Found the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffYpNr3 ... Dk&index=5
(around the 8:25 min mark, Terry talks about Cameron calling him directly to take his fiberglass designs and "make them better" by making them metal. He says he redesigned them a bit but kept the overall look. This implies Cameron had physical fiberglass armor that looked more in line with his original drawings first).

If you assume that no one is lying (or was too partied out to recall accurately...hemHem*cough*Paxton*Cough*), then the only logical conclusion where everyone's story matches up is that James used Paxton as a crash test dummy on a set of fiberglass armor that failed and led Mr. Cameron to seek out Mr. English.

Now what that armour could have looked like??? We may never know. One might assume it was similar to his concept sketch but even in the rough pre-filming continuity photos Terry's armour was already present. As for the above image, it was def TE's. It has been called "set 3" from Hudson and is also seen in this continuity pic. It is also the set that would get the 'acid burn' damage that he wears most of the movie. It is still kicking out there somewhere.
Attachment:
Hudson Set 3 front small.jpg
Hudson Set 3 front small.jpg [ 119.98 KiB | Viewed 2136 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:58 pm 
GarageGeek

I knew bigbisont would have that info. i was gonna edit the post to mention that. haha
So i guess we can rule out that that set was fiberglass in the continuity photo. Id still be willing to bet that it was refitted after that. would love to see closeups of the sides and connecting tabs to see if any metal was trimmed or if it was restrapped.to me it looks like it fits a lot closer to how frosts armor fits and has more defined trapezoids then hicks for example. maybe due to the denting. I suppose the look of hicks large armor is just due to it being made for James Remar who ill assume was taller.
I also just had a new thought, i wonder if after the initial fitting some armora were made with more range of motion, wider openings and lower neck, this is not likely but who knows. Also the original armor if it existed could have been more trapezoidal and therefore TE ended up hammering those lines into a frech style ciurass to bring it closer to those armors.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:46 pm 

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.52160G1
I'm going to sound like a total noob, but the smartgun armor wasn't tested the same way, was it? (Meaning, did Cameron ask Mark Rolston to run into a wall to test its durability?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:31 pm 
GarageGeek

Rabbit they could have tested the smart rig too but being high end canera equipment caneron probably had a good idea already, those things are durable.I dont think that the story was actually about Mark if thats what tou mean. He probably chose it for its guaranteed durability.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
The SG armor was just a breastplate. No shins, no helmet, no backplate.

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:31 pm 
GarageGeek

yeah i was thinking rabbit meant the camera harness. I heard the harness is owned by a steadicam guy who still uses it for work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:41 pm 

The steadicam arms and rigs were rented from John Ward - http://aliensarchive.tripod.com/aliens/interviews/johnward.html