The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Message from the CO
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:35 pm 

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.42136E1
The Alien Legacy as I see it
We have 3 issues

The Past

The past is what it is, the past, we are not asking you to forget the past, or ignore any pain you have experienced.
Things have been left to fester and grow, animosity building into hatred, and in the end all we have is anger and fighting, in this your leadership,
such as it was, has failed you and we resolve to do better.
It should never have got to this point. Things should have been done differently, we but we cannot do anything about that.
So we are now asking people to move on from it, not necessarily in your life that is not for us to decide, but at least on these boards.
We cannot move forward if we keep dwelling in the past. And if you can’t move on we will still require civility on the ALB

The Present

Is still rooted too much in the past.
I posted about parade issues, and hopefully that we could find ways to get members back out.
It started out fine but old scores/anger/hatred put a stop to that. As seems the case lately it devolved into mudslinging and people taking sides.
This has to stop! We need you to speak up and not let things build, even if you are not happy with the outcome, you still need to speak up and be heard.
All of our processes are new and we will have growing pains. But at least it's forward motion.
We all need a collective deep breath, and try to move on. We need to try to put what’s best for the group forward

One specific point moving forward, the Board will never ask people to delete their posts. Posts may be locked

The Future

We need to let go of the past as much as your head and heart will allow
We need to remember why we came here in the first place
We need to work to make the group as a whole better
We need to be better engaging with new, and old members
We need to be more inclusive and add more Alien-centric costumes
We will be better to each other on the Board
We will be more open with each other to try to stop this from happening
We will continue the ALB

EVER ONWARD!!

Post subject: Re: Message from the CO
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:12 pm 
USCM Ambassador

Service Number: AO2/TQ1.0.1233E1
Well Said Rob, Well Said!!

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you posted!

We can't change the Past, the Present is here and we will work hard to ensure the Future has creativity and fun!

The enjoyment of the hobby should be paramount!

Your Executive Officer

USCM- The Colonial Marines- A Brotherhood of Bad Asses!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:28 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
Pretty much agree with everything said. This is supposed to be fun! :)

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:24 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Well put, but:
we need to also add xenomorph
and predator costumes.

Otherwise who would the colonial marines have to fight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:15 pm 
"Smart"-Ass

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.72156E1
Can't speak for anyone else, but for my own self the drama and the "factions" are the #1 reason I have quietly backed away over the past year. I used to proudly advertise this group everywhere I could as something that was welcoming and inclusive, unlike how so many other fan groups can tend to be, but over the last few years certain personalities have turned it into the exact opposite. I just haven't felt a desire to be involved as a result.

Regardless of whether that desire comes back in time, I'm glad to see this post. I'm glad to see the transparency, and the clear statement of what you want this group to be - especially because I think a major part of our recent problems was that there were two conflicting ideas of "who" the AL was.

Keep fighting the good fight, and best wishes. "Stay Frosty".

M-56 Smartgun Operator, A/3Btn, II CMEF, USS Sephora

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:43 am 

Outcry27 wrote:
Can't speak for anyone else, but for my own self the drama and the "factions" are the #1 reason I have quietly backed away over the past year. I used to proudly advertise this group everywhere I could as something that was welcoming and inclusive, unlike how so many other fan groups can tend to be, but over the last few years certain personalities have turned it into the exact opposite. I just haven't felt a desire to be involved as a result.

Regardless of whether that desire comes back in time, I'm glad to see this post. I'm glad to see the transparency, and the clear statement of what you want this group to be - especially because I think a major part of our recent problems was that there were two conflicting ideas of "who" the AL was.

I will keep doing cons as my work and schedule allows.
I will keep building aliens and predator props and upgrading what I have to be more movie accurate.
I will keep the peace and try to grow the group.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:42 am 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32151E1
Outcry27 wrote:

What he said - I've been on here a hell of a lot more recently than I was for a while, and I hope we can continue to make improvements and make this once again a place where all fans are welcome.

Props, cosplay pieces, upcycled ornamentation, and miscellanea;
For the discerning survivor of the apocalypse.
Steve Fletcher : Maker, Scavenger, and Junksmith.
linktr.ee/wastelandworkshop

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:36 am 

Scapey wrote:
Outcry27 wrote:

What he said - I've been on here a hell of a lot more recently than I was for a while, and I hope we can continue to make improvements and make this once again a place where all fans are welcome.

I will have some more prop posts once I get further along on things. Unfortunately budgets must be something you stay within, unlike other things where a budget is a guideline really...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:57 am 

Attachment:
F5CDF169-3BA7-4656-B0E9-3D60C656A450.jpeg
F5CDF169-3BA7-4656-B0E9-3D60C656A450.jpeg [ 121.21 KiB | Viewed 19125 times ]

In lightnof all this this picture may be appropriate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:05 am 
Chernobyl

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.42157E1
Scapey wrote:
Outcry27 wrote:

I completely agree, partially the same reason why I haven't nearly been as active as I used to be. Plus major life changes going on.

A05/TQ1.0.42157E1 SGM Gilbert, M "Chernobyl" - U.S.S. Blackhawk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:26 am 

Many sites go through a toxic purge at some point. Problem is our base is so small you end up causing other issues. I just focus on my builds and try to grow the group and offer words of encouragement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:42 pm 

Service Number: A17/TQ1.0.83083E5
I've noticed a trend since costuming became "geek chique" the a lot of the people joining don't care about doing research, collecting parts, and generally putting work in. They want something they can throw money at and get Instagram followers or likes. If enough of them join a community, it always seems like they dismantle it from within, chasing away longtime, knowledgeable members.

That being said, it's a two-edged sword. You want to bring in new people, but people who aren't more trouble than they're worth, and I don't think anyone has figured out that trick yet.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:02 am 

Prop-Forge wrote:
I've noticed a trend since costuming became "geek chique" the a lot of the people joining don't care about doing research, collecting parts, and generally putting work in. They want something they can throw money at and get Instagram followers or likes. If enough of them join a community, it always seems like they dismantle it from within, chasing away longtime, knowledgeable members.

That being said, it's a two-edged sword. You want to bring in new people, but people who aren't more trouble than they're worth, and I don't think anyone has figured out that trick yet.

Timebomb2000.com had such issues. They went through various purges as the various folks with ill intend started to spread a campaign of hate. In their case as is the case here we have a demerit system with warnings and attempts to teach the offenders that they behaved improperly. As long as we have strong central leadership we will be fine. So get folks in here and we can address issues as they occur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:56 pm 
GarageGeek

Facebook addiction is the cause of the continuing issues. It has changed how people behave. delete your facebooks before it turns you all into little girls.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:18 pm 

seven wrote:
Facebook addiction is the cause of the continuing issues. It has changed how people behave. delete your facebooks before it turns you all into little girls.

That is a component. The bigger issue is that we have a whole generation that grew up on Facebook and there is a complete lack of physical social interactions growing up for a couple of generations now and that lack of skill building id destroying society.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:09 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
seven wrote:

That's kind of a narrow focus view. Out of ALL the fan groups I used to actively participate in online (RPF, Halo 405th, Aliens Legacy, Scifihero, etc.) Only the RPF and AL seem to have much for active participation these days. Facebook/social media have taken a chunk out of the active posting these days.

JMHO.

Russ

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:32 am 
GarageGeek

I dont mean facebook is stealing peoples time. i mean its turning them into people who speak a certain way and drag out discussions and disagree compulsively creating drama. Nobody cares about feelings here we care about aliens. The dragoncon thread is the perfect example. people need to stop being contrarians, going back and forth, tit for tat. As if that is the new way that we all communicate now, someone says a thing, and then someone find a tiny flaw and voices doubt because thats the only way they know how to communicate now. even what im posting right now is making me want to punch myself. someone shoot me with a pulse rifle please. for example, in making that joke, now, because of facebook addicts, I run the risk of someone saying " joking about suicide isnt funny waaaahhh". And then insinuating some personal experience, trying to get someone to battle them so they can make another post and get that dopamine injection. Thats what I mean about facebook. That kinda shit needs to end.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:23 am 

seven wrote:
I dont mean facebook is stealing peoples time. i mean its turning them into people who speak a certain way and drag out discussions and disagree compulsively creating drama. Nobody cares about feelings here we care about aliens. The dragoncon thread is the perfect example. people need to stop being contrarians, going back and forth, tit for tat. As if that is the new way that we all communicate now, someone says a thing, and then someone find a tiny flaw and voices doubt because thats the only way they know how to communicate now. even what im posting right now is making me want to punch myself. someone shoot me with a pulse rifle please. for example, in making that joke, now, because of facebook addicts, I run the risk of someone saying " joking about suicide isnt funny waaaahhh". And then insinuating some personal experience, trying to get someone to battle them so they can make another post and get that dopamine injection. Thats what I mean about facebook. That kinda shit needs to end.

Doing missionary work, I have learned you have to be apolitical and respect that cultural differences make ethics a little moot as some cultures vary greatly in this regards. Facebook has taught everyone to avoid triggering politics. The problem with social media is it actually feeds narcissist and sociopathic behaviors and actually enables them. Plus the cosplay community itself is rooted deeply in California as the bigger cosplayers are based out of there due to the proximity principle. The problem with that area to a certain extend is that to survive there you have to have a certain mindset to survive and it has carried over to many aspects of different cosplay communities. But the bigger issue is we have had an entire generation or three that has grown up on social media and has missed out on certain social connections that would reinforce the need for civility and what defines proper physical social behaviors. Without the physical interaction aspects at a young age it prevents certain mental connections to form that allow for a better social experience from others when having face to face interactions. Instead of face to face, now we have screen to face. Lacking face to face time at a young age in larger amounts it prevents proper social development. Throw in the drug and sex epidemic that is now rampant and you have a perfect storm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:44 pm 
GarageGeek

Well said Joker. We gotta keep this place oldschool. when i go back and look at old threads the interactions are way different. the new generation of facebook kids are gonna be total dildos.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:31 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

seven wrote:
Well said Joker. We gotta keep this place oldschool. when i go back and look at old threads the interactions are way different. the new generation of facebook kids are gonna be total dildos.

Unfortunately, most of the "difficult interactions" I've had in recent years have been with the "older generation"... People in their 30s, up to late 40s.
I've yet to encounter any homophobic, transphobic, racist, misogynistic, islamophobic, or otherwise bigoted and vile behaviour from any of the younger members of the cosplay community; yet it was some of those very issues that caused a lot of strife from people who really should know better in this supposedly civilised day and age.

When you see the same person crowing about being "Back out of Facebook jail YET AGAIN!" it makes you wonder why they don't get the hint that perhaps their behaviour is offensive, and they should possibly take something of a long hard look at themselves...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:14 pm 

Scapey wrote:
seven wrote:

Unfortunately, most of the "difficult interactions" I've had in recent years have been with the "older generation"... People in their 30s, up to late 40s.
I've yet to encounter any homophobic, transphobic, racist, misogynistic, islamophobic, or otherwise bigoted and vile behaviour from any of the younger members of the cosplay community; yet it was some of those very issues that caused a lot of strife from people who really should know better in this supposedly civilised day and age.

When you see the same person crowing about being "Back out of Facebook jail YET AGAIN!" it makes you wonder why they don't get the hint that perhaps their behaviour is offensive, and they should possibly take something of a long hard look at themselves...

There is a mental health crisis ongoing right now and no effective means of treatment compelled or otherwise for many. Much of this behavior would be curtailed if there was a path to treatment that would be taken for many. Dig into the problem folks and you will see a common trend of issues. Dig further and you find that folks like to surround themselves with similarly minded folks making the problem worse. A lot of what is going on is a result of having to interact with individuals that are problematic at best. Survival behaviors and untreated traumas have a tendency to surface as one gets older in life, and when things change it can cause changes in personality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:19 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

What sort of mental health problems do you mean?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:00 am 

Scapey wrote:
What sort of mental health problems do you mean?

Pick a personality disorder or a mental illness. Nariccism and sociopathy/psychopathy that are the predeominant ones with individuals being referenced here but the current diagnostic manuals list well over 2000 different kinds of mental disorders.

At the core most of them are learned behaviors learned from families and friends. They can be unlearned and broken away from if one desires to break the cycle. The old saying insanity runs in families applies here.

60 years ago if you had the least bit of issues they institutionalized you until you were cured.

Now we have three generations of children from individuals that have chronic mental illness and their behaviors which actually defines many of the mental illnesses and disorders have been passed onto their children.

Plus many with mental issues there is a commonality of drug use and completely ignoring the environment that includes children creating another generation that is likely to have the same issue. This is called the cycle of abuse/trauma. Many times the abuse has occurred for a while before authorities can step in and remove the children.

Plus there are the single parent families that do not have enough available time to do parenting as they have to make sure that the bills are paid. And there are even two parent families in the same boat. Now what happens if you do not have time to parent? You have a stand in babysitter. What do you choose now-a-days? You choose a screen be it TV, computer, or tablet/phablet. The problem with this is it exposes a developing individual to improper and age inappropriate materials with no parental supervision that actually creates its own set of a traumas and exposures to abuse vis a vis cyber bullying.

Now throw in another component: culture. We now have a culture of abuse and promotion of violence to support the end to a means by a handful of groups. Vicious silencing of any dissent. Weaponizing a populace against itself. Popularising these ideas across multiple platforms A child gets exposed to the toxic exchanges as they witness this and has no parent to consult or follow to understand that this is a very bad thing. What a healthy exchange of dialogue is, how to speak and respectfully disagree is not learned.

Much of the toxicity results from long term exposure to toxic behaviors and learned survival behaviors to enable the ability to survive the exchanges and situations.

The saying goes you are who you surround yourself with. The exchanges you have define who you are and how you will behave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:32 am 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Phew. That was a bigger reply than I expected, but thank you for taking the time to explain... I was worried that you were gonna say that transgenderism or homosexuality were mental illnesses... Very happy to see that wasn't the case!

Post subject: here we go
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:47 am 
GarageGeek

KiiiLLLL MMMEEEEEEEEE

"We're fucked" - Hudson

facebookforlife.jpg
facebookforlife.jpg [ 43.74 KiB | Viewed 18566 times ]

Last edited by seven on Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.