The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: uploading photos/ image hosting question
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:10 am 
GarageGeek

Photobucket sucks completely and limits you to very few photos unless you pay.

Imgur links to the site itself and photos dont apear in threads on here.

on my old phone id have to text my photos to someone then save what i sent in order to make it small enough to post here. but i cant do that with my iphone.

there are many other anoying ways to shrink a photo that take a long time and are frustrating. Id
love to know how everyone shrinks their file sizes. I can post from my computer or phone doesnt matter to me.

I have: iphone, macbook, gopro, cannon camera,

Last edited by seven on Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:14 am 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
If you're on a PC then Irfanview is great for resizing images.

Harry

Post subject: Re: uploading photos/ image hosting question
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:45 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
From my ad agency days I seem to recall something being said stating that anything above 3.0 megapixels is more than a human eye would notice on a standard sized picture.
IOS
https://www.imore.com/how-crop-resize-p ... e-and-ipad
Android
https://www.solveyourtech.com/take-smal ... ow-camera/
Android is a bit fussier as things are slightly different with each maker and phone version...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:01 pm 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
knoxvilles_joker wrote:
... that anything above 3.0 megapixels is more than a human eye would notice on a standard sized picture.

Hmm, but [n00b question here], surely MOAR megapixels is better for zooming in on detail (or printing out in large formats)?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:47 pm 

septic wrote:
knoxvilles_joker wrote:
... that anything above 3.0 megapixels is more than a human eye would notice on a standard sized picture.

Hmm, but [n00b question here], surely MOAR megapixels is better for zooming in on detail (or printing out in large formats)?

It is a mixed bag. We recently upped the upload size limit here in light of the increased photo sizes.

We really need to have everything stored on the forum. Externally hosted platforms come and go and it has been biting ALL of the major forums in the posterior as they try to reconcile older informative posts into appropriate archival sections.

As far as printing in large formats you still have to go in and up the resolution even more after you take a high resolution photo and then do touchup to clean up some of the blockiness if you are really blowing the picture up size wise.

Plus you do not want to post super large images for our mobile users as that seriously eats into data plans just to view a few photos. Granted data plans are becoming rock bottom dirt cheap compared to what they once were. But some of our international users are not blessed with a preponderous amount of high speed data and bandwidth availability.

In short it is a mixed bag and it is very hard to make every one happy as far as what the needs are and what can reasonably be provided.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:54 pm 

IMGUR is great. Just use the share links and the pic shows up fine on all the boards I post to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:31 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Like Joker just said though if imgur changes its rules on linking, goes out of business or your account gets closed down then the image disappears. The point he was making is that if images are uploaded to the AL forum server then it always stays with the AL.

Harry

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:25 pm 

Harry Harris wrote:
Like Joker just said though if imgur changes its rules on linking, goes out of business or your account gets closed down then the image disappears. The point he was making is that if images are uploaded to the AL forum server then it always stays with the AL.

Harry

Got it. I didn't realize AL severs wanted to host such a massive amount of images. But to your point--I'll upload to here from now on.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:22 pm 

Banzai88 wrote:
Harry Harris wrote:

Harry

Got it. I didn't realize AL severs wanted to host such a massive amount of images. But to your point--I'll upload to here from now on.

Dude, storage is becoming dirt cheap now. Given all the copyright malarky that is going on, having a clear chain of custody on the photos helps in such matters.

I have also contemplated having roaming copies of everything that are passed amongst and updated as it changes member hands. This ensures that we always have a backup, and if whomever needs reference materials, it is readily available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:17 am 
GarageGeek

I'll probably just have to take the time to use Gimp or photoshop to shrink each image myself and upload it here, then back it up on a drive.
i think were entering a new primitive internet phase while companies are trying to gatekeep everything. Maybe I'll start making disc images of thousands of Aliens pictures reference material and pdfs, ect and making them available for people. We could make something for everyone to sign, giving permission to use any posts they are in. I could mail out 1TB hard drives that contain every piece of Aliens info known to man. Could also create a cloud with password access for those who dont want the physical drive and dont have the space. Could call it "lifeboat" wed all have a similar personal library. If anyones is lost there are backups, or you can use your legacy password to download it all from the cloud.

And if anyone wants to, say...copy an entire website and be able to have all of its contents run offline. here's a loaded pulse rifle.

http://www.httrack.com/
http://www.httrack.com/page/2/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:59 am 

10 megs is now the max file size

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:43 pm 
NZCM "Bug Stompers"

Service Number: A06/TQ1.0.12144E1
There are a lot of threads in the Archives that no longer have images.

Not sure if relevant to this thread, just putting it out there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:33 am 
Moderator & screen used

It’s very relevant and exactly what I was talking about. All, or at least most of those images are missing because they aren’t able to be linked here any more or the sever they were on no longer exists.

Harry

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:37 am 

Harry Harris wrote:
It’s very relevant and exactly what I was talking about. All, or at least most of those images are missing because they aren’t able to be linked here any more or the sever they were on no longer exists.

Harry

Correct. I will Kindly ask, plead, and beg of everyone to upload the relevant files directly to the site. This is why I had asked and helped get the file size cap pushed to 10 megs.

Predatorium.com has the same exact issue we have as to many of the other long standing forums out there for fan inspired cosplay builds and costumes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:57 pm 
GarageGeek

my photobucket uploads to "Last minute armor painting" have suddenly become lower resolution. screw photobucket.

Ive found I can send my iphone pictures to myself and it gives me a size option. then I can upload them here from my computer.
Its not fast but it'll work.