The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:44 pm 
I've thrown some filler primer on the first wheel to get rid of the layer lines.

..and started a second wheel on the printer tonight.

I'm adapting some of my generic 1:18 figures with Colonial kit and to that end, I've started modelling a helmet for print.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:21 pm 
After a couple of prints to fine tune the helmet scale I held the parts in place with blu-tack and jointed them with cotton thread fixed with blobs of cyano gel.

If that holds in place it'll be great. So, once dried it was time for a fitting.

That looked OK so I splashed a little primer on it - the white has a translucency making it hard to see surface detail.

Once I start properly with these I'll need to give them a filler primer and a good sand before assembly. I've yet to work out how to successfully add the mic.

Anyway, I'm happy with how this is going. It's been a nice break from APC interior pieces.

EDIT: Just added the mic - a semi-stripped wire piece. Here's a cheeky shot with the Hiya Toys Hicks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:37 pm 
Started on this tonight. I'll add more detail once it's built but it's fun making printable kits like this. You might say it looks 'smart' lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:29 pm 
I printed out 2 full Smart-Gun 'kits' today. I built them with a raft to try to avoid any smaller pieces getting knocked off the build plate. That worked, but the flat halves aren't finished very well as a result - so they don't go together as well as they need to.

So, I'll re-design the print to get a better result.

Anyway, I couldn't resist building one up and sloshing some primer on it. The MKII will fit and look a lot better. :)

Let's Raaaaaaaaaaaaaawk!

Post subject: Re: 1:18 scale M557 APC scratch-build
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:11 pm 
reload

Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
Great! Looks like you get your squad up and ready soon.
Thanks for sharing.

GERCM - Executive Officer (XO)
UKCM Foreign Legion: The Deviant Dragoons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:47 pm 
577_ops - Thanks! Yeah, I've done a few more helmets - I need another three after these. :)

Helmet kits!

Made up, sanded,

..and primed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:48 pm 
Here's the new Smart Gun printed, assembled and with a splash of paint.

Compare this with the MK1 above. This is more like it. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:59 pm 

very cool, great work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:04 am 

Service Number: a02/tq2.0.12143e1
excellent work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:53 pm 

That smartgun is going to look terrific hanging up in the APC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:58 am 
Martinr1000, Trigger Happy, thanks! There's a way to go yet and plenty more to come. Hopefully most of it will go smoothly (not that I really know what I'm doing - but I'm enjoying the process.) :)

Space Jockey, thanks, yes that one and it's twin will be in their stowed positions either side of the rear seating bay. I'mm currently working on Gorman's console - trying to figure out how to make and light the screens.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:28 pm 
This whole thing will only ever be a prototype, and I couldn't put this bit off any longer - Gorman's console.

I'll be lighting the screens and hopefully a few of the desk elements on this build. To that end I've cut holes for all the screens and 3d printed bezels to go on them once the whole thing is painted.

I set the bezels on sticky-side-out masking tape to keep them in place while painting.

I've sent a couple of these pinging across the room but luckily found them again so I requisitioned this box to keep everything organised.

More soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:49 pm 
While I figure out what happens with Gorman's console and build a 3d print for his chair I thought I'd print out and assemble the front turret. After a scale slip up (first print was too small) this one looks great. It has an internal pivot and will get filled, primed and smoothed later.

Before I get too far with the interior (especially those parts that interact with the ceiling/roof) I need to know where the roof will be. To that end I'm first mocking up the roof plates with 2mm card - which is the same thickness as the styrene I'll be using finally.

I've started to figure out how the roof cannon will track and swivel and sorted its scale and proportion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:13 pm 
Here's the 3d model of Gorman's chair (and the driver's seat). I'll be adding detail once it's printed.

..and here's a scaled down test-print. I'll assemble this and add the extra detail to it - see how it looks.

I think I'll replace some of the printed parts for styrene where appropriate - it's a lot smoother by default, so I'll use the print as a template.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:53 pm 
I put the seat together and it looks great. I'll change a couple of small things to help assembly but I'm happy with it. There's no point doing too much with this small one - it's just a proof of concept really. I was worried that the struts might be too fragile but they're holding up really well, and the proper ones will be larger.

I'll be able to scale off this one to get the next one just right for my 1:18 figures, then I'll print two out, fill, sand, assemble and detail.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:57 pm 

really good work. it looks great

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:06 pm 
Thanks Martinr1000, yes it's coming along. :)

I've just received some wonderful reference from our very own SpaceJockey - the guy who made the fabulously detailed blueprints of the craft from the Alien franchise. I've already found some areas to enhance/accurise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:16 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
Pretty impressive work! When are you going to start 3D printing the 1:1 scale model? ;)

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:24 pm 
Russ Krook III wrote:
Pretty impressive work! When are you going to start 3D printing the 1:1 scale model? ;)

Funny you should say that - I did have a conversation with a guy over on the RPF who is planning a 1:1 build. :)

Does anyone know where I could find a list of paint colours used for the Marines armour pieces and BDU's? I could match to the Hiya Toys figures but I'd rather go to source if possible. I'm sure there'll be a list somewhere so I apologise in advance for being a lazy fecker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:19 pm 
After testing Gorman's chair with one of my 1:18 guys - it's the correct scale but needs sizing up a little to fit them when seated so I'll get to that. In the meantime I've been doing a little more work on the exterior, concentrating on the rear ceiling and the gun track.

The main gun and its track is a major assembly that'll need a lot of work. I also need to think about how the roof will open and give access to the interior. I like how Hiya Toys have handled that - so I'll do the same!

You can see some of my working out for the track here (at left) some main gun parts (centre) and my cardboard main gun template (bottom right).

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:44 pm 
I did a little more on the main gun and track. The track sides were measured out, drafted on paper then printed.

After modelling, the gun body had to be cut into separate assemblies to print properly - nothing looks worse or is more wasteful than lots of support material so I avoid it wherever possible. Blender is my app of choice for this - there are better ones out there but this is what I know.

..from there into Cura for print, after carefully going through the settings.

..and here's the gun and track. The gun is tacked together with double-sided tape. It'll get a 0.5mm plate styrene skin.

Definitely looking the part. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:20 pm 
Apologies for the long absence. Paid work got in the way but I have a little free time again now.

Not a major update but I started to skin the printed main gun in 0.5mm styrene - a lot better (for me at least) than the old fill/sand shuffle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:50 pm 
Bacon Rapscallion

Service Number: A12/TQ1.0.72136E1
Wow. When you post updates you really post updates. Those are amazing. I love the chair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:53 pm 
Thanks Yellowjacket! The chair is hopefully a fair simplification of the real one. :)

Another little update. The main gun is plated and getting any seams filled and primed. Gorman's chair is getting the same treatment and his console (styrene bits at top-centre) is coming along. I've been working hard on digital projects over the summer and it feels good to be back working on this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:52 pm 
I did a bit more on the chair today. Little and often is probably the way to go just now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 339 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 14  Next