The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Idea for console for conventions.
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:26 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Going through the raspberry pi arcade and console rom setups, it occurred to me there are a ton of legacy games out there that everyone has forgotten about.

What games would you like to see on such a setup?

1) Capcom Aliens Vs. Predator

How would the time limits need to be set to prevent hogging access to the console?

Here is a list I compiled off of AVPgalaxy, a sister site:
Alien Games:
Untitled Alien Game (???) – PC, Consoles
Alien: Blackout (2018) – IOS, Android
Alien: Isolation (2014) – PC, PS3, PS4, X360, X-Box One
Aliens: Armageddon (2014) – Arcade
Aliens: Colonial Marines (2013) – PC, PS3, X360
Aliens: Infestation (2011) – DS
Aliens: Crucible [Cancelled] – PC, PS3, X360
Aliens Extermination (2006) – Arcade
Aliens: Colonial Marines [Cancelled] (2001) – PS2
Aliens: Thanatos Encounter (2001) – GBC
Alien Resurrection (2000) – PS
Aliens Online (1998) – PC
Alien Trilogy (1996) – PC, PS, Saturn
Aliens: A Comic Book Adventure (1995) – PC
Alien 3: The Gun (1993) – Arcade
Alien 3 (1992-1994) – Amiga, C64, GEN, SMS, GG, NES, SNES, GB
Aliens (1990) – Arcade
Xenomorph (1990) – Amiga, Atari ST, C64, DOS
Aliens (UK Version) (1987) – Amstrad CPC, C64, MSX, Spectrum
Aliens (US Version) (1986) – Amstrad CPC, C64, Spectrum, Apple II, MSX
Alien (1984) – C64, Amstrad CPC, Apple II, Spectrum
Alien (1982) – Atari 2600

AvP Games
AvP Evolution (2013) – IOS, Android
Aliens vs. Predator (2010) – X-Box 360, PS3, PC
AvP Requiem (2007) – PSP
AvP Extinction (2003) – PS2, X-Box
Aliens vs Predator [Cancelled] (2002) – GBA
Aliens vs Predator 2 (2001) – PC
Aliens vs Predator (1999) – PC
Alien vs Predator [Cancelled] (1995) – Atari Lynx
Alien vs Predator (1994) – Atari Jaguar
Alien vs Predator (1993) – Arcade
Alien vs Predator (1993) – SNES
Alien vs Predator: The Last of His Clan (1993) – GB

Third-Party Games
Mortal Kombat X Kombat Pack DLC (2015)
Call of Duty Ghosts Devastation DLC (2014)
Tom Clancy Wildlands, The Jungle moved mission (2018)

Fan Games
Aliens Minimates (2015) – PC

Of that list these are console based valid for the need:
Aliens: Armageddon (2014) – Arcade
Aliens Extermination (2006) – Arcade
Alien 3: The Gun (1993) – Arcade
Alien 3 (1992-1994) – Amiga, C64, GEN, SMS, GG, NES, SNES, GB
Aliens (1990) – Arcade
Xenomorph (1990) – Amiga, Atari ST, C64, DOS
Aliens (UK Version) (1987) – Amstrad CPC, C64, MSX, Spectrum
Aliens (US Version) (1986) – Amstrad CPC, C64, Spectrum, Apple II, MSX
Alien (1984) – C64, Amstrad CPC, Apple II, Spectrum
Alien (1982) – Atari 2600
Alien vs Predator (1993) – Arcade
Alien vs Predator (1993) – SNES
Alien vs Predator: The Last of His Clan (1993) – GB

PS1 titles:
Alien Trilogy (1996) – PC, PS, Saturn

These are DS titles:
Aliens: Infestation (2011) – DS

PSP titles:
AvP Requiem (2007) – PSP

Now I did do some checking with Sony a while back. I was pretty much told hell no on using a playstation at convention type events.

The kicker on fundraisers is to ensure that we have no hands in the pot and we are not benefitting directly or indirectly from funds raised as that substantially lowers the bar should objections or questions be raised on whether a tangible wrong occurred.

I do think that at least showcasing the genre via games is a good idea as it does show how wide a scope of industries that have benefitted from the franchise.

Last edited by knoxvilles_joker on Fri May 03, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Idea for console for conventions.
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:44 pm 
'Nuff said.

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
As we discussed I like your idea of a charity donation = "X" amount of time on the game. I think the "X" all depends on the game being played. If it is a button masher like the Capcom Alien vs Predator maybe 3-5 mins. If it is more of a single player game I do not know how, that would need to be addressed along with the levels. I know the games next to us at ICCC just took up space many times as it seems little kids just wanted to hang around and "mess" with them since they were free. That is why I like you donation idea to weed them out.

Thanks!

Greg

UKCM
Shoot first, think never.
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 6:52 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
The side scrolling arcade Aliens game with Hicks/Ripley starting off with smart guns would be a natural choice.

I think more effective than a "time limit" will be simply chosing games that naturally lend themselves to taking turns. Installing a time limit will only hurt us as the last thing we want is to come across as authoritative figures killing the fun and basically telling people to "move along".

Far better is to present simple frantic games that bring frequent deaths. In my experience, even in "free/all you can play" arcades, people are mostly aware of a line forming behind them and willing to step aside at a natural break in play. A video game death is a perfect transition point and most people will respect it. We just need to keep the games of the simple and difficult variety (like the classic side scroller arcade games).

The WORST choice is loading up a FPS or RPG where there are frequent action breaks and abundant health packs. That is a recipe for someone to camp out and derail the intent of our presentation.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:00 pm 
'Nuff said.

bigbisont wrote:
I think more effective than a "time limit" will be simply chosing games that naturally lend themselves to taking turns. Installing a time limit will only hurt us as the last thing we want is to come across as authoritative figures killing the fun and basically telling people to "move along".

I am just afraid you get someone who knows what they are doing and they are on the game for a while. I agree sided scrolling would be the way to go. I like games where 2 or more players can play at the same time. If you do the "death scenario" someone may only make it playing 15 seconds before they die. They feel cheated.where if we do a set number of minutes we can hopefully find that "sweet spot" were most are happy. I know when Mortal Kombat first came out in arcades there was that line and when I finally got up there the first time I got my butt handed to me. I felt "cheated" when I really just sucked. I had to go back to the end of the line and wait for my turn again only to be dispatched quickly. Not for sure on the emulators and setting time limits till they reset so someone does not have to be a sitter.

Thanks!

Greg.

UKCM
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:53 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
I hear you about feeling 'cheated', but I don't think we even need to kick them off after they die. I meant that I think overall people will be OK policing themselves as long as it a game that nudges them that direction. They could have another 'go' to get their due or 'move along' on their own as they see fit while "reading the room". But my main point was just that mostly I think game choice will be the key to keeping things moving.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 7:58 pm 
'Nuff said.

bigbisont wrote:
I hear you about feeling 'cheated', but I don't think we even need to kick them off after they die. I meant that I think overall people will be OK policing themselves as long as it a game that nudges them that direction. They could have another 'go' to get their due or 'move along' on their own as they see fit while "reading the room". But my main point was just that mostly I think game choice will be the key to keeping things moving.

I definitely agree on the game choice. Maybe we can start listing. I never played anything but first person Alien games. Well besides the Capcom AvP. We can start a list. Also do we thing full size cabinet or a table/bar version?

1. Capcom AvP original

Thanks!

Greg Newell

UKCM
SMMFD

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:16 pm 

gman666 wrote:
bigbisont wrote:

I definitely agree on the game choice. Maybe we can start listing. I never played anything but first person Alien games. Well besides the Capcom AvP. We can start a list. Also do we thing full size cabinet or a table/bar version?

1. Capcom AvP original

Thanks!

Greg Newell

As far as presentation, the key is size, durability, and transport ability.

As far as time limits go I need to research on either a coin basis for donations or a time limit code option, or an honor system type. Hard coding limits based on donations prevent hard feelings as then no one feels like they are targeted as the limit is hard coded.

I will append the original post with a list of suggested games. I will have an initial launch list as the game of choice will change based upon venue. The other kicker will be licensing which will be my bigger concern.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 10:31 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
I love this idea so much and if I were to guarantee my yearly attendance at a con, I would try to arrange something similar.

I would advise against "coin" money as a lot of people don't carry change with them anymore. Maybe a tap or swipe device setup would be best.

My nostalgia for Aliens' Lo-Fi tech says it should have a CRT display and dressed to look like it comes from the universe. You guys should definitely call it "Combat Simulator" with a picture and quote about Simulated Combat Drops :delta:

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 11:49 pm 

Moosh89 wrote:
I love this idea so much and if I were to guarantee my yearly attendance at a con, I would try to arrange something similar.

I would advise against "coin" money as a lot of people don't carry change with them anymore. Maybe a tap or swipe device setup would be best.

My nostalgia for Aliens' Lo-Fi tech says it should have a CRT display and dressed to look like it comes from the universe. You guys should definitely call it "Combat Simulator" with a picture and quote about Simulated Combat Drops :delta:

OK, you will need to research your jurisdication/locale/state/city "planetary laws" for "arcade machines" For Tennessee it is 510 USD per year. There seems to be an out if we do not charge and are not offering it as entertainment, but any such determination needs to be made by a lawyer.

https://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/ ... 4/part-22/
https://learn.adafruit.com/arcade-coin- ... k-overview

To your point moosh, coin operation definitely appears to not be a good idea. The idea was arrived at as collectible coins are a mint for collectors and something easily done for larger events.

As far as the look, I will need to build a prototype enclosure and then we can have an idea of print area that we can do artwork for.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:06 am 

OK, I have been doing some research regarding the cabinet enclosures and which enclosure and setup to use.

This appears to be the best option for a control block for the buttons:
https://blog.petrockblock.com/controlblock/

The cabinet we want to use needs to be a tabletop style unit. Ideally we would be best served to have it as a separate stand sitting next to the table and not on the table itself as we all have multiple props filling that up.

http://www.buildabartoparcade.com/
references to this instructable:
https://www.instructables.com/id/2-Play ... red-by-Pi/
(template references here)

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2019 7:31 am 

I have been digesting things and I am thinking the best option for transport is to make the control button rig a separate unit and the screen another one where we can mount a screen in a box. This design would allow for easier transport and break down of the unit.

My problem is I am starting to run into a space limit with my truck bed and I am faced with the prospect of using my box trailer to start transporting things. I am literally designing my rigs for more efficient storage and setup due to this. (that and the face I want a third bedroom available again.)

Regardless together both pieces would look very, very, close to an actual arcade table top unit. I was looking at using red oak for the button enclosure as that material is literally bullet proof (cannon proof if you factor in Boston's old iron sides was made out of red oak.) Plus the weight will deter theft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 12:08 am 

And for you folks that just want a control console run by a regular PC with an emulator:
https://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:10 pm 
'Nuff said.

Quote:
The kicker on fundraisers is to ensure that we have no hands in the pot and we are not benefitting directly or indirectly from funds raised as that substantially lowers the bar should objections or questions be raised on whether a tangible wrong occurred.

That is why it will be a lock box along with a tablet to take electronic donations. Should be getting the dedicated tablet beginning of June to have for FanBoy. I am trying to find out if the tablet plug in scanner will take all cards or if I have to get a chip reader also. I priced them at Wally world and the difference was 30.00. All donations will be recorded per charter requirements and any amendments we make when the new officers take over. I plan to have a donation page set up on St Jude per event where they are taken.

Thanks!

Greg

UKCM
SMMFD

Last edited by gman666 on Mon May 06, 2019 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:17 pm 

OK, as of right now:

http://diyarcade.com
Has kits with aliens vs predator, waiting on confirmation if we can add a missing rom or three once we get one. This is a complete kit, minus the monitor and arcade housing.

http://diyretroarcade.com
Sells individual parts and pieces so you can make your own. (for a full button assembly I am looking at about a 100 in parts, but for led buttons, which, I think give it more of a retro look, worth it.)

For those wanting to use the actual JAMMA equipment with the raspberry pi:
https://arpicade.com/about/
In the states you can buy here:
https://www.highscoresaves.com/arpicade ... igame.html (there are options to buy/ship outside of the USA)
(This has Aliens and Aliens vs Predator) (still have to buy buttons and joysticks.)

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 1:22 am 

Clarification on this. I have always wanted a retro arcade and thought it would be a cool thing to have in the kids bedroom. I was planning on eventually building one anyways. But, I always like have more than one use for things. Building stuff like this is a huge source of entertainment and enjoyment for me. I also try to document the builds as I do them so that my results can be replicated by others should they choose to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 4:33 am 

I will have to research light gun options; US $88.89 | Shooting game gun for aliens extermination shotting machine for pc motherboard converting aliens video arcade game machine
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bp2Ok4PA

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 2:25 am 

OK, I have done some more research. There are replica Chinese units available out of Beijing.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Arcade- ... st=ae803_5

Those use a 55 inch screen with a fixed gun mount. That is going to be the best option for an accurate arcade replica. Outside of my current project.

I can find shells and put a regular light gun that might work with the raspberry pi setup I will be pursuing at a later point. For now I will focus on getting a simpler setup and leave room for later expansion.

http://www.arcadeguns.com/index.php?mai ... cts_id=340
(this site claims their gun setup might work with the raspberry pi linux MAME emulator but would definitely work in windows.) (An easy DIY windows desktop/monitor solution you will.) This uses a light tracking bar to track gun movement and allows the gun to function just like a mouse.

There is still a massive effort with the retro arcade community in getting all the older popular games ported into MAME. Some of the Aliens games have not been fully ported in yet and some of the devices are a little finicky trying to get a complete ROM/BIOS/OS download and then get that formatted to where it came be used with the MAME (Multi Arcade Machine Emulator) software.

I would also point out that for a mere couple thousand you could literally own your own replica aliens arcade from that site:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Indoor- ... st=ae803_5

I will have to build a base and build up from there. Regardless what I will be doing will be a best effort to try and offer an arcade experience similar to what we enjoyed when we were children.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 10:05 am 

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... 465.0.html

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2019 11:58 am 

I will have to get that book. My initial build will be a two player console, but I was thinking of doing a four player unit at some point.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:41 pm 

OK, I have done substantial digging on things. The Aliens shooter uses a Celeron processor. Aliens extermination uses a Pentium 4. It appears that the install just puts a self contained os and app on the computer hard drive to run and do the interfacing. Both games use JVS (JAMMA Video Standard) interfacing so the board interfaces for the guns are via USB. The OS/setup appears to install by an install CD through a completely automated process in 10-20 minutes. I have to do more digging on whether or not it was a specific board you have to use or if any generic Celeron or Pentium board would work for the games.

The pandora 9d that you can buy off of aliexpress has the aliens side scroller without guns that we all know and love.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 4:00 pm 
USCM Ambassador

Service Number: AO2/TQ1.0.1233E1
This is SUCH a Fantastic Idea!!! Great way to get "Aliens / USCM" into the con-goers eyes!!

USCM- The Colonial Marines- A Brotherhood of Bad Asses!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 10:42 pm 

Hollis DZC wrote:
This is SUCH a Fantastic Idea!!! Great way to get "Aliens / USCM" into the con-goers eyes!!

Given that kind of response, This unit has a couple of the aliens games built-in:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Pandora ... st=ae803_5

About 150 and all you have to do is add a TV and sound speakers to the setup.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:58 pm 

We found this unit online Where all we have to do is add artwork and the hardware:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/670081221/ ... ntEALw_wcB

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:52 pm 
'Nuff said.

This showed up in my YouTube feed today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CINYNFbRu50

I would also suggest looking at his other videos just to get ideas. I like how this cabinet can be broken down. Just take the top half to conventions.

Thanks!

Greg

UKCM
SMMFD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:41 pm 

OK, the console was a huge hit with the kids. I think I ended up getting aliexpress a few sales as a result.

I will show you links to what you want:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3291003 ... st=ae803_5

These buttons have what are called a happ style connector. The great thing about them. It is an insertion twist lock. This allows you to keep the harness connected and remove the button for maintenance. DO NOT get any other connector type. I did on my barter and have been cursing it as I have had issues. About 40 or a little less is going to be the price on the button set. This particular linked unit will work with the raspberry pi as well with the board, or go without the pi and use the below pandora unit.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3301672 ... st=ae803_5

This is the heart of the whole unit. It is the pandora 9d. Get the JAMMA harness with it. This is all plug and play. About 40USD is what you will pay for this. Now I went with this unit as it is all prepackaged and from the factory unaltered. This side steps any ROM concerns. Licensing I am not so sure about as it is coming from China, but most of the titles appear to be no name abandonware.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3299612 ... st=ae803_5

The pandora 10 is the next generation and is the version you will see in a lot of the TV console units.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3282554 ... st=ae803_5

This is the power plug adapter assembly and power supply. The power supply pictured is no bigger than a wallet and converts 120VAC to 12, 5, VDC including ground. The one I got had a bad fuse out of the box, threw me for a loop for 30 minutes or so as I was trying to figure out what was going on, but easily enough fixed with a replacement fuse link from Lowe's.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3292088 ... st=ae803_5

This is the iconic T-moulding.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3298483 ... st=ae803_5

This is the amplifier I have been standardizing on my builds. They are not power hungry and run great on 12VDC.

As far as speakers go with your preference. Just make sure they can handle 50W peaks in output.

https://gameroomsolutions.com/shop/bart ... it-deluxe/

This is an example pre cut kit you can buy online. That site seems to have a decent selection of options to ease your setup woes as much as you can afford.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/660182867/ ... gI_APD_BwE

Or if you have a CNC router you can buy plans.

Regardless on the cabinet go with whatever works for you as a simple google search for arcade cabinet will yield a ton of results that has a solution to fill your needs and wants.