The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Does the Snow Wolf rifle have an adjustable hop-up?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:52 am 

If so, where about is it? taking the gun apart seems like a massive job on its own, is it worth it to adjust the hop-up (if it is adjustable)? I get a bit of drop at about 30 feet it could be a little tighter. I've never adjusted a hop-up before so any tips appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:57 am 

Service Number: A12/TQ0.0.52149E1
yest there is a rotatory hop wheel in the ejection port towards the barrel. you don't need to remove anything to adjust it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:19 pm 

Service Number: A06/TQ1.0.02140E1
they take some pulling apart there are a lot of hidden clips and that as I found when I was removing most of the airsoft parts lol

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:32 pm 

agg cook wrote:
they take some pulling apart there are a lot of hidden clips and that as I found when I was removing most of the airsoft parts lol

What are you talking about? The hop up is fully exposed on the rifle and can be adjusted without having to take anything apart.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 1:09 am 

Whamhammer wrote:
agg cook wrote:

What are you talking about? The hop up is fully exposed on the rifle and can be adjusted without having to take anything apart.

Yep I found it... totally thought it would be internal but it's just on the side. I slid it all the way up from stock and it fires so much better.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:21 pm 

paradoxum wrote:
Whamhammer wrote:
agg cook wrote:

Yep I found it... totally thought it would be internal but it's just on the side. I slid it all the way up from stock and it fires so much better.

OK glad you found it, the only thing is that on this rif’ sliding the hop up down gives it more hop, not up, no hop is “all the way up”.

What weight BBs are you using?

I have fired as much as .36g from my PR and havent had to roll it all the way to one end.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 11:25 pm 

Quote:
OK glad you found it, the only thing is that on this rif’ sliding the hop up down gives it more hop, not up, no hop is “all the way up”.

I have fired as much as .36g from my PR and havent had to roll it all the way to one end.

After practice shooting today from about 30m I settle somewhere on the lower end about 35% racked on the hopup wheel.

0.20mm BBs

I would fire at the target a few times, check the accuracy, adjust the hop up, and settled on what it is now.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:17 am 

paradoxum wrote:
Quote:

After practice shooting today from about 30m I settle somewhere on the lower end about 35% racked on the hopup wheel.

0.20mm BBs

I would fire at the target a few times, check the accuracy, adjust the hop up, and settled on what it is now.

If I remember, on your side of the pond, the PRs come in with about 340 or so FPS?

Unless there are BB restrictions, try .25s, although I would recommend .28s. You will get better distance and accuracy. I dont know how well .30s would do, muzzle velocity might be too low.

I would talk about working in a tightbore inner barrel and bucking but most people are twitchy on taking these apart. I will say that the Thompson platforms have great accuracy and a stout gearbox, right out of the box. I think the Thompsons hop up is one of the best set ups out there, bowing to high end aftermarket M4/M16/SR25 units.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:01 am 

Whamhammer wrote:
paradoxum wrote:
Quote:

0.20mm BBs

If I remember, on your side of the pond, the PRs come in with about 340 or so FPS?

Unless there are BB restrictions, try .25s, although I would recommend .28s. You will get better distance and accuracy. I dont know how well .30s would do, muzzle velocity might be too low.

I would talk about working in a tightbore inner barrel and bucking but most people are twitchy on taking these apart. I will say that the Thompson platforms have great accuracy and a stout gearbox, right out of the box. I think the Thompsons hop up is one of the best set ups out there, bowing to high end aftermarket M4/M16/SR25 units.

Never seen any .30's for sale TBH but did get some 25s recently so will give them a go thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:21 pm 

paradoxum wrote:
Whamhammer wrote:
paradoxum wrote:

L

Never seen any .30's for sale TBH but did get some 25s recently so will give them a go thanks.

I’ve seen field-able shot all the way up to .66 gram for sale around me.

As a rule, .20 is for cqb, especially for small indoor fields. .25s are where outdoor shot is used, as the lighter the shot, the less kinetic energy is kept, so they dont go as far and wind blows them off course.

The more FPS the gun has, and the longer and more accurate someone wants to shoot, the higher the weight of the bb. Heavier weight shot has its own set of problems.:

- some hop ups can only lift so much weight of a bb very effectively
- some mags don't feed heavier shot as well (weak springs and whatnot). My pulse rifle wont feed .32s for long on high speed full auto (26 rps or so) but has less problems with .28s and 25s at that speed. (Im probably putting new springs in on my midcaps soon for this.
- heavier shot is more expensive, therefor harder to find (although both of those are starting to improve)

Ive carried different sets of mags with different weight shot just to meet my needs, .25 mags for suppressing fire, and .30/.32 for ranged engagement. Ive tested my hop up as to where I have a mark on the hop up, that corresponds with its position for a weight of bb to be optimized.

Definitely don't fall asleep on the quality and the weight Your ammo. So many people o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:19 pm 

Yeah I had/have a 1911 airgun that I think I bust by using cheap copper BBs in it. Still waiting to get it back repaired/replaced. Any good brands anyone can recommend? I heard to avoid Bulldog BBs. What brand 4.5m and 6mm ones you guys suggest? I've got 3 tubs of 'Bad Ass' .20's and a tub of Elite Force .25s

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:36 am 

paradoxum wrote:
Yeah I had/have a 1911 airgun that I think I bust by using cheap copper BBs in it. Still waiting to get it back repaired/replaced. Any good brands anyone can recommend? I heard to avoid Bulldog BBs. What brand 4.5m and 6mm ones you guys suggest? I've got 3 tubs of 'Bad Ass' .20's and a tub of Elite Force .25s

Airsoft guns dont us 4.5mm.

The main thing you want is BBs from Taiwan, not China, quality control of BBs from China are historically abysmal.

Elite Force BBs are good, Milsim West exclusively supplies its milsimers with Elite Force Bios in the field, I know they offer at least a .28 gram.

Beyond that, HPA brand are great, and offer from .20 gram into the .5s, this brand is alittle more expensive per BB though. Valken has its BBs that are sourced from Taiwan made in BLS brands factory (make sure that the bottle says its from Taiwan, they did try to sneak in some inventory fromChina last year), so obviously BLS is a nother good brand too.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:25 pm 

Whamhammer wrote:
paradoxum wrote:

The main thing you want is BBs from Taiwan, not China, quality control of BBs from China are historically abysmal.

Elite Force BBs are good, Milsim West exclusively supplies its milsimers with Elite Force Bios in the field, I know they offer at least a .28 gram.

Beyond that, HPA brand are great, and offer from .20 gram into the .5s, this brand is alittle more expensive per BB though. Valken has its BBs that are sourced from Taiwan made in BLS brands factory (make sure that the bottle says its from Taiwan, they did try to sneak in some inventory fromChina last year), so obviously BLS is a nother good brand too.

The 4.5 are for my Remington 1911

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:20 pm 

paradoxum wrote:
Whamhammer wrote:
paradoxum wrote:

The 4.5 are for my Remington 1911

Can’t help you there, I jump from airsoft to real steel.