The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Am I one of the few people that didn’t like Alien (1979)??
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:44 am 

Ok so some context. When I was little I saw the movie “Predator” and I fell in love with it. Somehow I found out about AvP and fell in love with those movies (I realise they suck now), I even got the AvP video game on ps3. I later on started falling in love with the xenomorph, and a few days ago I was excited since I finally got to watch the original Alien movie (yeah I realise I’m a bit late).

Now I was hoping to feel the “tension” and be scared that any second the alien would pop out, but instead I watched the movie (I only had access to director’s cut if that makes a difference) and was instead really bored and unsatisfied after it. I did watch a kill count and probably other things about the movie, so I guess you could say I spoiled it for myself?? But I usually don’t mind being spoiled.

Yeah this isn’t a big deal, but I really wanted to fall in love with this movie and I’m disappointed and upset that I don’t understand when people call it a masterpiece and say that it’s really tense.Akinatorhttps://xender.vip/ https://testmyspeed.onl/

Last edited by aapn77 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Am I one of the few people that didn’t like Alien (1979)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:09 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
I'm not fanatical for the first one myself. I can honestly say I 'appreciate' it, but I have never tossed on the dvd/bluray to watch it again unless I was introducing it to someone else as something of an education on the genre/universe (Today we begin "Aliens 101"!). I think you will find lots of people that agree it was not their "favorite".

That said, if you were already very aware of everything that happens including every kill and spoiler, then there was no way to experience it 'as intended'. The tension was from a threat which, at the time, was very original and truly unexpected. I don't see a way to recapture that if you know everything in advance.
With no mystery at all, it is not surprising that someone could be underwhelmed. I don't think it is a fault of the film nor the viewer, just the nature of suspense sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:17 pm 

Service Number: A12/TQ0.0.52149E1
I'm not horror fan so i appreciate the film but I've only watched once. So just Allens for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:59 pm 
Mercenary

I don’t like it too!
For me the best one is Alien3..., love him..!
Prometheus was a masterpiece too.
Aliens was good...for an action movie. But really, every boyscout would handle that mission better than that squad of wannabe soldiers.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:16 am 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
LoneWolfWinter wrote:
I don’t like it too!
Aliens was good...for an action movie. But really, every boyscout would handle that mission better than that squad of wannabe soldiers.

https://tenor.com/4skY.gif

edit: dammit. I cant get gifs to work right. Do they work here? Anyways...you get the point! grrr.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:45 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
bigbisont wrote:
LoneWolfWinter wrote:
I don’t like it too!

https://tenor.com/4skY.gif

edit: dammit. I cant get gifs to work right. Do they work here? Anyways...you get the point! grrr.

AHAHAHAHA yesssss! :delta:

I like Alien after Aliens. I do still often put it in and enjoy the ride. I have a general rule that any time I see one of the films airing on satellite TV, I must put it on and watch it, commercials and all. Its my bid of showing they still pull numbers

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:52 am 

I was just thinking about this today. I don’t love Alien either, but I LOVE Aliens. Shame that the series has been obsessed with remaking the first movie rather than the second.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:41 am 
Expendable

Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.52155E1
the older i get, the more i love Alien. (and to a lesser extent, Alien 3) Aliens i obviously still love the best.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:18 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Alien was a rewrite of Dark Star. And it was Ridley Scott's first horror film. As such I view Alien as the prelude to the true horror film we call Aliens.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:58 pm 

Sacrilege.

Lol! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:06 am 

I appreciate Alien as a necessary prelude to Aliens, but in all honesty I think it’s one of the more overrated films out there, and it quite frankly infuriates me that a sizeable number of people seem to think it’s a better film than Cameron’s sequel. It’s not. In fact, from a narrative point of view, it’s a bit of a mess, held together more by the quality of the acting, photography and production design than the strength of the plot, which, as soon as the titular critters show up, basically turns into an especially bloody episode of Dragonball Z, with the antagonist pulling new forms and abilities out of its ass every time the heroes seem to have it figured out.

LoneWolfWinter wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:56 am 
Pint of AB negative please

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.12136E1
For me its Alien, Alien3(SE), Aliens.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:33 am 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

LoneWolfWinter wrote:

You say that now... but when you grow up, get a job, and eventually have to deal with multi-layered management, it will suddenly make a whole load of horrifyingly realistic sense... or just join your country's Armed Forces and meet some junior officers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:20 am 

What was ALIEN? That was the ALIENS prequel, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:45 am 

I can see how a later generation may see Alien as dated.

I saw it after seeing ALiens when I was in middle school and I thought it was a suspenseful thriller, agreeing with those that compare it to JAWS in space.

When she decides to go back for Jonesy? Dang. I was all twisted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 9:13 pm 
GarageGeek

I always show people ALIENS, then ALIEN, and I tell them "ALIEN 3 exists if you wanna go looking for it but...."
Its interesting how extremely different ALIEN and ALIENS are, two completely different kinds of movies based on the same lore, you don't see that very often.