The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:12 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Service Number: A02/TQ2.0.52141E1
Oh yeah! Now that's what I'm talkin' 'bout!

The thing I love about a lot of these pictures is, as well as some being posed, some are just utter 'reportage' style...

This is the kind of imagery I'd be interested in capturing with enthusiasts who want to get it 100% right in a completely authentic looking 'industrial' setting with steam, smoke, grit, dirt, sweat and discomfort and exertion showing... In B&W... Continuity style...

"Errr... Roger that's a 2-1-6..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:53 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:04 pm 

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.12261E1
Well my friends, it was about time to start testing it out...

It works...NEEDS MORE GUN:

I am so anxious for this project to be finished but there's a long way to go in these short 6 weeks!

Post subject: Re: M56 Smartgun 'Hero' Build / Vasquez Tribute
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:53 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Just amazing stuff.

So I know you are busy, but if it isn't too much trouble I am slightly amending my 'measurements' request from earlier. I am going to attempt to scratch build an arm and would love if you could touch on those 3 measurements.

Attachment:
Arm Reference1.jpg
Arm Reference1.jpg [ 298.79 KiB | Viewed 39401 times ]

Looking great and can't wait to see your next round of 'findings'.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:31 pm 

Joined the forums for this. I've been a HUGE Aliens fan my whole life and I love this project. Fully automatics are impossible in Sweden, but I nourish a dream of building a semi-auto screen accurate Pulse Rifle on a semi-auto M1A1 sporting gun. Kudos to this project and your attention to detail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:12 pm 

Thanks Supernaut! My gun is deactivated (it would not be legal for me to own or transport otherwise)...what you want to do would be super cool but would get me into a LOT of trouble (haha).

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:03 pm 
Expendable

Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.52155E1
M56 Smart One wrote:
Thanks Supernaut! My gun is deactivated (it would not be legal for me to own or transport otherwise)...what you want to do would be super cool but would get me into a LOT of trouble (haha).

You can own a semi auto MG42. You just couldn't own a full auto without the proper federal paperwork

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:54 pm 

It would be a bit of a hassle to bring it to events though, but fun on the range, if the rig can stand up to the recoil of the mad rate of fire of a MG42. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:18 am 

Well everyone,

It turns out that my smartgun will not be ready for Dragon Con (next week). I simply just cannot rush a project of this magnitude. While I am heartbroken to some extent, the payoff of having the ultimate smartgun replica will be well worth it. In preparing for the convention, I did tap into the skills of my super-talented buddy Jack, who can essentially build any prop probably faster and better than anyone else. With his help, the smartcam headset came to fruition!

All real sourced / screen accurate parts were used...

Beyerdynamic HM560 headset
Pentax 110 lens
Vivitar 2500 flash unit blue discs
Olympus T28 Macro twin flash housing
1st gen Megatron scope parts
Neutrik LNE connector

I even spent a fair amount of time counting the amount of loops in the coiled cord...

The eye piece does swivel and move very nicely, though I can understand now why the characters used them very little during the film (they are a pain to keep in proper orientation not to mention it's not fun to obstruct your vision when you're carrying a massive gun).

Gun updates coming soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:31 am 
"Smart"-Ass

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.72156E1
With regards to the loss of vision: If you look very carefully, you can see that the actual film headsets had a tiny little pinhole drilled in the eyepiece so Ralston and Goldstein would have at least some of their binocular vision. No idea how effective that was, I can't bring myself to put a hole in mine. ;)

How did your buddy end up attaching the eyepiece to the swivel joint/Megatron parts? Bolt through the middle? I need to rebuild mine, and I'm looking for a more secure method.

M-56 Smartgun Operator, A/3Btn, II CMEF, USS Sephora

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:56 am 

We did indeed use a bolt...works beautifully!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:56 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.12145E1
Outcry27 wrote:
With regards to the loss of vision: If you look very carefully, you can see that the actual film headsets had a tiny little pinhole drilled in the eyepiece so Ralston and Goldstein would have at least some of their binocular vision. No idea how effective that was, I can't bring myself to put a hole in mine.

Ive cut a hole in mine the same shape as the screen used ones and it improves the vision massively, well worth doing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 2:36 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
First thing, My first post in this glorious thread

I know I've done it before, Adam but I wanted to publicly thank you for sharing all of this awesomeness with us. The level of authenticity you are achieving is out of reach for most of us, so I'm glad you are able to achieve it and are so transparent about it.

This thread should really be added to the Archives. I might suggest that someone save all of Adam's photos and directly upload them to the board so we don't lose these invaluable references

I know personally I've visited this thread many a time, there's so much information in here! You are unaware Adam but you are helping me with a current project with your posts and updates!

Because I am just as much as a detail freak as you, I've jumped in to the hunt for parts myself.

I can tell you that you are without a doubt correct in the fact that we are looking for a Magura perch and a Magura brake lever. And your perch is definitely the correct one!

However, I've learned that the fact that you found your perch on a '76 Husqvarna WR360 is irrelevant. It was just luck that that is where yours came from. Many different makes/models of bikes carry this part. For those searching for their own perch, I suggest generalizing your search for "Magura perch", "Magura clutch" and "Magura brake".

I did think I lucked out and found my own perch. "Mine" was found on a 1984 KTM 250. I immediately messaged the seller about shipping to Canada when he replied that the listing was an error, he did not have that item, he had it listed in 2009, and has since moved shop. The listing was then ended. I did grab the photo however

Attachment:
1984 KTM 250 Clutch Perch.jpg
1984 KTM 250 Clutch Perch.jpg [ 16.5 KiB | Viewed 39100 times ]

As for the lever, Mr. septic, quoted below is absolutely correct:

septic wrote:
I've been doing some crappy extrapolations based on the assumption that the foam motorbike grip is the standard length of 125mm.

My [and I think Adam's too] Magura lever - measuring from the centre of the lever mounting bolt to the tip of the ball - is 175mm long.
This over-hangs the end of the grip by about 40mm and so, going off the ref pics, clearly isn't right.

Faking up a pivot arc ->
the correct lever clearly ends before the foam grips rear-most ridge.

Using that idea and the the generic short lever mock-up I started with, I estimate that the correct lever is between 120mm-125mm long (as measured from the centre of mount bolt to tip of ball).

So, as to which Magura short lever is the right one, that remains to be found ...

In my opinion I have discovered that the brake lever we are looking for is 5 1/8" long (130mm). It is black and glossy and the "ball" on the end is very round as seen in this photo Adam has provided of Vasquez's smartgun circa 1985

Attachment:
Rear Grip Reference.jpg
Rear Grip Reference.jpg [ 42.97 KiB | Viewed 39100 times ]

I have yet to find such a lever, but I have found one that has many similarities, except that it is matte black and the ball is flattened on both sides.

Attachment:
Honda Hodaka Magura Shorty Brake Lever 130mm 7mm Pivot [2].jpg
Honda Hodaka Magura Shorty Brake Lever 130mm 7mm Pivot [2].jpg [ 496.9 KiB | Viewed 39100 times ]

(In packaging)

Attachment:
Honda Hodaka Magura Shorty Brake Lever 130mm 7mm Pivot in Package [4].jpg
Honda Hodaka Magura Shorty Brake Lever 130mm 7mm Pivot in Package [4].jpg [ 307.88 KiB | Viewed 39100 times ]

Notice the logo is slightly different than Adam's? I believe this is the correct logo that the screen used lever carries. If you look at the reference photo of Vasquez's rear grip, you can see the "textured" area starts just before the bend in the lever starts. On Adam's lever, the logo is just too short to reach the bend.

Attachment:
Magura 130mm Shorty Long Logo Comparison [1].png
Magura 130mm Shorty Long Logo Comparison [1].png [ 385.84 KiB | Viewed 39097 times ]

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:17 pm 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Good work Moosh!
I'm inclined to think that the logo is the "long" version (with the "Forged W Germany" text) but your Honda Hodaka Magura levers have the logo starting before the clutch cable ball [not sure what to call the terminator bit of the cable itself?] and the hole for the ball punches through the logo. I think in the original picture, the hole for the cable ball doesn't touch the logo - the spacing between the two looks to be almost the same size as that visible bolt head.

I've a small collection of vintage Magura brake & clutch levers now, all of which are wrong! I think for now though, I've given up looking as the one of chosen is close enough. Yeah it has a bend in it (I may try and straighten it out a bit :S ) and the logo is off but at least the little bugger is the right length :D

Attachment:
568b2b02-4bb4-4e8a-82cd-3f8aac11a204.jpg
568b2b02-4bb4-4e8a-82cd-3f8aac11a204.jpg [ 773.29 KiB | Viewed 29462 times ]

[The very top one is a generic brand I got before the Adam worked out / posted re the lever being a Magura jobbie].

Last thing, I don't think I'd put tooooo much on the original lever being black, it could well have been painted by the prop dept. Personally, I think it probably was "factory" black, but who can be sure.

Last edited by septic on Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:04 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
I strongly believe the "space" you are seeing between the cable hole and the logo is a shadow being cast off the guard.

I was thinking the same too that it was too short until I noticed the shadow

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:25 pm 

Thank you guys! The flat matte black lever you found is incorrect too. I have one...it does not fit the perch. I have what I think is the closest to correct that literally just arrived in the mail to me today. I will personally inspect it when I get settled in from Dragon Con and take some photos for you guys.

I am glad you are all appreciative of the lengths I'm going to for this project. There will be a lot more photos to come with details reference of how we (as in Matsuo and I) nailed the smartgun's C-clamp mechanism to connect the gun to the steadicam arm, not to mention other details that we discovered by going back and forth with theories. Every time I analyze photos I pick up new details.

As many of you know, the smartgun was not complete for Dragon Con. It is now my goal to have it ready for next year, with a BLASTING sound kit (one I will design with friends), and a circuit that actually uses the smartgun battery as a means to complete the circuit (hence making it a real battery in a way). Lights are another option, but I don't think I can generate the beautiful muzzle flash as seen on screen, so I may not bother. The ammo counter on the ammo drum did not have electronics in the film, so I will not have a counter on mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:30 pm 

By the way, I would be honored if this thread was added to the references (as long as it wouldn't disappear from the Ready Line page too as it's a work-in-progress technically). I do pay Photobucket to support my photos, so they are not going anywhere...I'd never let them vanish from the community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:55 pm 

Sorry for the lack of smartgun updates guys...so much has been happening the past few months that the project is on hold for a little. That being said, progress is still being made...

I now have all of the parts to make a full hero shoulder lamp!

Oh, and this will warrant its own thread once a bit more progress is made, but...

Armor made by the man himself, TERRY ENGLISH!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:16 pm 
Ultimate baddassery!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:39 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Bare metal armor shots are such a captivating thing. I don't quite know why...just awe inspiring. I think because the art of it all is so much clearer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:49 pm 

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.52136G1
Adam, have you asked Terry to make you a Vasquez front armour too?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:27 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.12145E1
Terry didnt make the chest plates for the Smartgunners it was Bapty & Co

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:00 pm 

I'm producing the chest plates for Adam.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:42 pm 

And thank goodness for that! Nick is as OCD about detail as I am!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:40 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Will it be made out of metal or resin [/ other material]?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next