The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Getting the lead out of Snow Wolf/Matrix Pulse rifle
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:06 am 

Has anyone tried taking some of the weight oit of thier pulse rifle?

Its pretty heavy for an “assault rifle” but if I put the shotgun part in, it will weigh a metric crapload. I would like the option of a little secondary weapon, either a CO2 shotgun, moscart, Zoxna, or some other AEW blast, for completeness, and cool factor but I want it to still be very usable.

I know that the Thompson AEG is heavy as well but the only real carry overs are the upper an lower recievers, and the lower is plastic. I’m wondering if I drill out 16 or 32 one ounce holes in spots where it isnt visible :

A) will it make the upper too weak
B) will the upper transmit a ton of gearbox noise

I have a spare upper that I can use/fall back on so Im not worried about ruining it.

Anyone with experience?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:22 pm 

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.92142G1
To be honest that would be a lot of work for very little gain i would have thought. Where were you thinking of drilling holes? I've had my pulse rifles open a handful of times but i can't really think of anywhere this could be done and not be seen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:54 pm 

Service Number: A12/TQ0.0.52149E1
by pulse rifle standards the snowwolf is pretty light they really very little can be done to lighten it.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:32 am 

stimpy wrote:
To be honest that would be a lot of work for very little gain i would have thought. Where were you thinking of drilling holes? I've had my pulse rifles open a handful of times but i can't really think of anywhere this could be done and not be seen!

I was thinking around the portions of the upper reciever that is covered by the OD shroud.

I was also thinking of thinning out the inside of the upper reciever in some parts as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:30 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32151E1
The weight loss in doing so will be so little you won't even notice you've done it, and you run the risk of something being knocked out of whack if you plan to keep it as a functioning Airsoft rifle...

Props, cosplay pieces, upcycled ornamentation, and miscellanea;
For the discerning survivor of the apocalypse.
Steve Fletcher : Maker, Scavenger, and Junksmith.
linktr.ee/wastelandworkshop

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:35 pm 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
It's pretty much been said above, but it seems to me that the two things you're asking for are at cross-purposes - lighter but wanting some form of functional g/launcher ...

If you want lighter, maybe look at a 3D printed PR instead? If you to [airsoft] game with it, hit the gym :D
I really think if you start cutting bits out of it, you'll end up with a broken PR :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:04 am 

Scapey wrote:
The weight loss in doing so will be so little you won't even notice you've done it, and you run the risk of something being knocked out of whack if you plan to keep it as a functioning Airsoft rifle...

Well, an ounce of steel is .22 cubic inches, to get a pound out, I would need 16 .22 cubic inch holes, maybe a little more because I am sure that the metal in the upper reciever isnt the higest density steel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:01 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
I'm 95% sure it's pot metal, all the more reason to not drill holes in it ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:27 am 

Service Number: A02/TQ0.0.52138E2
I have 4 variations of the M1A1 upper, by 3 different manufacturers... they are ALL cast white metal, a rather weak "alloy". As a machinist, I'll only say screw with it at your own risk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:40 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
I am not sure the 'upper' weighed more than 2 lbs total. In order to cut a pound of weight off it, you would likely to have to cut it in half. I don't believe turning it to swiss cheese will make any noticeable difference.

They do make (or did make?) all plastic thompsons that you could probably snag an upper and a magazine from. That would probably get you a pound or two (at the expense of durability and mag capacity [all the plastic mags i have seen are straight spring fed, not the rotary high cap. The high cap in plastic may exist, I just haven't seen them]).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:50 am 

bigbisont wrote:
I am not sure the 'upper' weighed more than 2 lbs total. In order to cut a pound of weight off it, you would likely to have to cut it in half. I don't believe turning it to swiss cheese will make any noticeable difference.

They do make (or did make?) all plastic thompsons that you could probably snag an upper and a magazine from. That would probably get you a pound or two (at the expense of durability and mag capacity [all the plastic mags i have seen are straight spring fed, not the rotary high cap. The high cap in plastic may exist, I just haven't seen them]).

On my Pulse Rifle, I use King Arms 110 round (plastic) midcaps, and cut a mag shaped hole through the bottom of the mag “bottom” (bought about three extras from Evike), so that department is handled.

I think I am going to weigh the upper that I have already dissasembled, to see what it weighs, it feels like a metric crapton compared to my old sr-25 lower or upper. I dont know why Thompson platforms weigh so much for its size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:18 am 

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.42137E1
A real Thompson weights 10lbs (4.9kg) empty.

Compared to an M16, which weights 6.37lbs (2.9kg) empty.

I have been following a thread from someone who is building a real steel PR. His gun weighs in at 30lbs (13.6kg) empty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:24 am 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
I've handled a couple of original Pulse Rifles and I agree with Erik, they're freakin' heavy!

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:18 pm 
Mercenary

If you build an Pulse Rifle out of real weapon parts, so real blank firing Thompson, real blank fire M870, real Spas12 cage, 3mm steel shoulderstock, same for the barrel cooling and barrel support, a HCG shroud, ur rifle weights about 9.2kg empty..
What are the other ~4kg? A rocket launcher?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:20 pm 

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.42137E1
From the build thread on northeastshooters.com

Attachment:
11kl7yo.jpg
11kl7yo.jpg [ 293.11 KiB | Viewed 6275 times ]

Post subject: Re: Getting the lead out of Snow Wolf/Matrix Pulse rifle
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:26 pm 
Mercenary

Ok, I read the build thread…
I still think that weight is not right, 20-21lbs would be right, but no way that rifle weight that much…
I have almost the same rifle, all real parts, still in working order, but just with blank fire rounds because of the barrel extension.
Plus 3mm self grinded and welded shoulderstock and barrel vent, so mine shout be heavier…

Mine is about 9.35kg with 3 M870 rounds loaded…., and no M1A1 mag..

But hey, I just say, maybe he put some extra weight in it, I dont know… (And I wish mine where lighter, but my next one will be out of plastic..)

And now, back to the thread….

Pulse Rifle
w.jpg
w.jpg [ 641.08 KiB | Viewed 6270 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:25 pm 

septic wrote:
It's pretty much been said above, but it seems to me that the two things you're asking for are at cross-purposes - lighter but wanting some form of functional g/launcher ...

If you want lighter, maybe look at a 3D printed PR instead? If you to [airsoft] game with it, hit the gym :D
I really think if you start cutting bits out of it, you'll end up with a broken PR :(

The idea is to balance some of the weight gain from the launcher, not have both lighter weight AND a launcher. I just dont want it to be a ridiculously heavy gun, as a fully functional airsoft replica.

As far as hitting the gym, as is, I have no problem shooting it one handed, like a big pistol; I got 7 kills at OXCCs battle of the Bulge 2017 in less than 30 seconds shooting it like a one handed pistol.

Most people that I let hold it, and take a few shots are complaining how heavy it is, shrug it off because most of them are running (good) polymer bodied M4’s. My G&G SRL, with scope, riser, and vertical grip might be a little over half the Pulse Rifles weight, and my CA M110 SASS is about equivalent as the PR (w/o suppressor). I can haul the gun all day without problems, I’m as heavy recce as heavy recce gets :) .

I am going to bring the beast to the scale and the seperate upper, and see what the weights really are.

I figure my PR , in full trim, is about 9.5 pounds, and the upper is at least 2 pounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:49 am 

Did a weighing of the loose upper reciever without hop up assembly but with the “charging bolt”, and that weighs 1.8 pounds, so I wont be able to even grind a pound or 1/2 pound put of it.

Where the heck is all of the weight? I figure the upper is probably about a 1/4 pound too fat, is thegearbox made out of depleted uranium?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:26 pm 

motors are pretty heavy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:52 am 

Best way to cut weight... gut it and make "pew pew" noises.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:24 am 

Big Stew wrote:
motors are pretty heavy

Other than the motor cage, the motor is no heavier than any other, especially since its a short type motor.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:25 am 

smrtazzsmrtgnnr wrote:
Best way to cut weight... gut it and make "pew pew" noises.

Yeah but its hard to pop a buddy in his head with a gutted PR and Pew Pew noises.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:43 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
Lift some weights??

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:30 am 

Whamhammer wrote:
Yeah but its hard to pop a buddy in his head with a gutted PR and Pew Pew noises.

No popping buddies in the head... NO ONE likes a blue falcon.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:24 pm 

Whamhammer wrote:
Big Stew wrote:
motors are pretty heavy

Other than the motor cage, the motor is no heavier than any other, especially since its a short type motor.

granted but was meaning a lot of a Thompsons weight is the motor and gear box my WE M1A1 is significantly lighter than an AEG.