The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Gorman's Boots
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:10 pm 
Officers - Making simple s**t hard since 1775

Service Number: A07/TQ1.0.52135E1
Not sure if this has been discussed before, I did do a cursory search which didn't turn up any results.

Anyway, a question was recently put to me about what boots did Gorman wear? Which caused me to have another go at doing some digging.

I know there's a PDF guide on here which suggests they were probably Corcoran Jump Boots, however I don't believe this is correct.

In the scene following the Dropship crash, Hicks removed some burning debris that had fallen on Gorman's stretcher. In this, you can clearly see the tread pattern of his boots (more noticeable on the Blu Ray, but is visible on the DVD). Corcoran boots have a plain sole, so they're definitely not those.

So after doing a google search of various boots that were typically available from most army surplus stores at that time, I matched the tread pattern to a type of German Para boot.

I've enclosed pictures of the tread patters so you can see for yourself (this was a DVD grab, so quality isnt as good, but can't seem to screen grab Blu-Ray images for some reason).

Also if you look closely on the Blu-Ray version in this scene, you can make out the arch shaped stitch details on the sides of the boot, which seems to match these (not very visible in the screen grab below). Now there were undoubtedly several variations of German para boot that used the same sole and had similar stitch details on the side, so I'm not saying this is an exact match, but I think this fairly conclusively proves what sort of boots they were.

When I get time I'll try and get a clearer screen grab and see if I can find a better picture of the para boots, but I think this more or less solves that one.

I believe these same boots were also used by the flight crew.

boots.jpg
boots.jpg [ 20.69 KiB | Viewed 4355 times ]

PARAS-OLD-GD1.jpg
PARAS-OLD-GD1.jpg [ 12.72 KiB | Viewed 4355 times ]

Last edited by SimonT on Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:50 pm 

I agree!

You have got good eyes to see the sole!! ^^

Post subject: Re: Gorman's Boots
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:11 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Nice! Very nice.

You know it stands to reason that the drop ship crew may very well have also worn these boots since they too had all black leather boots.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:15 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
Here's a blu ray grab :delta:

Nice spot!

Attachment:
Gorman Boot Tread.jpg
Gorman Boot Tread.jpg [ 571.89 KiB | Viewed 4338 times ]

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:59 pm 

:shock:
I just realized that I still have those boots from my time in basic military service with the Bundeswehr.
No endless ebay searches this time!
And the really good thing is, that they are already broken in but otherwise in perfectly good condition. :mrgreen:

Thanks a lot for this nice surprise

Stefan

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:22 pm 

Moosh89 wrote:

Nice spot!

What program did you use to get a screen grab from the Blu Ray?

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:11 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
SimonT wrote:
Moosh89 wrote:

Nice spot!

What program did you use to get a screen grab from the Blu Ray?

I use VLC Media Player, but first I had to rip my Anthology set. I used MakeMKV to create an .MKV file for each disc. It has a 30 day free trial. Once you have your .MKV file you can play it in VLC which is free, although I may have also added a codec pack to VLC - can't remember

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:56 pm 

Thanks for that Moosh, I'll remember that trick.

Anyway, here's another couple of pics of the paraboots in question.

With regards to the flight crew, if you watch the scene where Spunkmeyer is using the powerloader to load the dropship, you can just about see his boots in a couple of shots. They're definitely not ranger boots as you can see the metal lace holes going right up to the top of the boot, you can also just about see Ferro's as she walks past which appear to be the same. So I think its safe to say they all wore the German Para boots.

paraboots.jpg
paraboots.jpg [ 164.89 KiB | Viewed 4320 times ]

IMG_0162.png
IMG_0162.png [ 416.03 KiB | Viewed 4320 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:00 pm 

The official name of the boots is "Kampfschuh, Modell 1977" or "Stiefel, Feld".
It looks like the boots (or at leat the sole) were made by differend manufacturers:
Mine have Continental written on the edge of the circle and the Continental Horse Logo in the center.
Otherwise the sole is identical - the pattern is called "Oberfeldwebelprofil".

The Model 1983 has the same sole and looks similar, but lacks the reenforced area at the heel.

Cheers,
Stefan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:39 pm 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

bigbisont wrote:
You know it stands to reason that the drop ship crew may very well have also worn these boots since they too had all black leather boots.

Not necessarily...
Surplus shops at that time would have been heaving with cheap boots (genuine issue and knock-off) from all over Europe, in particular Central and Eastern Europe. We've eliminated some, but there are plenty of other possibilities still.

Ever since the early 80s, German para boots were considered the holy grail of private purchases, by squaddies who didn't like the issued Boots Combat High. This market gave rise to a fair few knock-off versions available as well, in the same way we have variations on the US Jungle Boot.

I do think Simon is likely bang on with these, though. The tread looks right and, while it's both familiar and distinctive, I've not found any other boots with this exact pattern. I wouldn't really know a para boot if it hit me round the head, though. I believe I'm even wearing an Austrian version of them right now...

Might be worth a trawl through this thread as well: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15158&p=232405&hilit=boots#p232405

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:20 pm 
Victim

Service Number: A86/TQ3.4.49421E3
Great spot, but nitpicking here, those two boots you've shown are not the same boot (see lace loops).
So would be interesting if the second one has the same sole too?

Edit -Just found them on google, and they do. As do another pair that looks different again.

you can't take the PUNK outa Spunkmeyer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:41 pm 

punkmarine wrote:
Great spot, but nitpicking here, those two boots you've shown are not the same boot (see lace loops).
So would be interesting if the second one has the same sole too?

Edit -Just found them on google, and they do. As do another pair that looks different again.

Correct, not the same boots, but they're both para boots and both have the same tread pattern.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:08 pm 

punkmarine wrote:

There are several versions (6 that I could find) of just the official German para boot, with varying eyelet/lug/d-ring counts and placements. That's not counting any copies.

Unless someone here has a foot fetish we can play on, we probably need to send Moosh a big crate of chocolates and ask if she can grab a load more Blu-Ray screenshots of everyone's boots! :wink:

:dropship:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:26 pm 
Victim

Service Number: A86/TQ3.4.49421E3
Ttaskmaster wrote:
punkmarine wrote:

There are several versions (6 that I could find) of just the official German para boot, with varying eyelet/lug/d-ring counts and placements. That's not counting any copies.

Unless someone here has a foot fetish we can play on, we probably need to send Moosh a big crate of chocolates and ask if she can grab a load more Blu-Ray screenshots of everyone's boots! :wink:

6 with the right sole pattern or 6 versions of German Para boots in general?
Think they are at least up to mk7/mk8 in para boots now

you can't take the PUNK outa Spunkmeyer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:12 pm 

punkmarine wrote:
6 versions of German Para boots in general?

^This one.
It seems only the MkI and II version had the right sole tread... but we all know how correct the Internet can be.