The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Blast from the Past #1 The Rifleman Kit by Chris Chulamanis
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:16 pm 

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.A323732E3
It was only on coming back from the UK and talking to Harry that I realised that a lot that has been lost from the board over the last few years with the changes to online photo hosting could be found on my personal hard drive. It may not be known by quite a lot of board members that I was the owner, admin and moderator of the board post it's move from the old Aliens Archive site but that is not important. What is however is that when I filled that position I saved a lot of board images and such to my own computer as well as scouring the (then) Internet for anything Aliens or Pulse Rifle related.

At the time there was a lot of this material posted to e-bay in support of auctions there and I saved that sort of stuff as well. Yes, I was a literal image pack-rat. Phil Steinschneiders' webpages on building the SD Studios Pulse Rifle? Saved in Toto with the realisation that the KIT version was $1500 US in the year 2000! Early stuff by Spat, GEM, Deck36, Gary Weaver, the list goes on. Point is, with the ability to upload directly to the board I can give some of these resources back to the board that was such a big part of my life back then.

That is, if you are interested........

Anyway, to begin I would like to showcase something that has been on the board before but is probably not now with Photobucket removing the original links. It is also in a way a tribute to a great artist, costumer and online friend, Chris Chulamanis who I cannot believe has been gone over 10 years. This also is sad story personally because it took away a little of my trust in human nature.

Back in the early 2000's I had bought two of Chris's 1/6 scale Rifleman kits to build and paint and Glen Maynard of GEM asked if he could commission me to make one for him in the colours of his personal armour costume. Glenn was a board regular at the time, user name Guns4Fun, it is possible some of you out there still have some of his products including his ever evolving PR replica, and I considered him a friend at the time so I said I would.
I actually used a lot of the resources I had collected for my build including a Dragon 1/6 scale Steiner figure, socks and boots from an online supplier, cam trousers and top from Chris and one of Chris's kits.

I hand painted the armour and the accessories in the correct Humbrol colours and I think it came out pretty well.

Attachment:
Chestplate03.jpg
Chestplate03.jpg [ 66.75 KiB | Viewed 7123 times ]

DCP04845.JPG
DCP04845.JPG [ 37.67 KiB | Viewed 7123 times ]

DCP04860.JPG
DCP04860.JPG [ 61.96 KiB | Viewed 7123 times ]

Helmet1.jpg
Helmet1.jpg [ 45.36 KiB | Viewed 7123 times ]

kb03.JPG
kb03.JPG [ 51.38 KiB | Viewed 7123 times ]

Last edited by Spellbinder99 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 Post subject: Re: Blast from the Past #1 The Rifleman Kit by Chris Chulama
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:27 pm 

Attachment:
DCP04856.JPG
DCP04856.JPG [ 34.98 KiB | Viewed 7121 times ]
Attachment:
DCP04858.JPG
DCP04858.JPG [ 44.06 KiB | Viewed 7121 times ]

There was some detail painting that I doubt I could replicate today, including hand painting the keypad numbers. Overall I was happy with what I had produced.

I packaged the figure up, including a custom base and sent it off to Glenn. That was the last I saw of it and Glenn as the short story is that I never got paid for the figure. I had not asked for payment before hand because I trusted him and I never even thought he would not pay.
I don't care about the money, I never did, I was just sad to lose a friend. I hope he still has the figure or that it ended up in someone else's collection, either way I like to look at the pictures and see them as a tribute to one of the great and wonderful characters of the hobby, Chris Chulamanis. :delta:

Last edited by Spellbinder99 on Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:37 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
More PLEASE! Not just the 1/6th stuff (which I am fairly obsessed with), but on all the vintage stuff.

I am thrilled to hear some of the early hobby stuff has actually been saved by someone. Please please post whatever you have. I love seeing the history of the hobby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:44 pm 

Well, that was quick! More than happy, just have to make the proviso that a lot of it relies on my very imperfect memory and most of my pictures at the time that I took were taken with a Sony Mavica (ask your parents what one of them is kids!) so are not stellar quality. A lot of the e-bay stuff is fairly low-fi as well.

I welcome any comments that correct accuracy as well and I will attribute the images where possible but don't sue me if I can't...

Cheers

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:21 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
I wasn't around here then, but I recognize your presence here which remained over the years in the form of informative posts and in the archive section. I
am glad you're back again and I'm looking forward to more "history" lessons!

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:22 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
You know I'm up for some history Tony! :) I too probably saved some stuff from back then, but who knows where it ended up. I remember you working on that figure for Glenn, shame things went the way they did.

It's a boot!"

III drops

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:24 pm 
Ready to Rock & Roll!

Service Number: A08/TQ2.0.72136E1
Please sir, can we have some more?! :D

"I'd like to die at the age of 80 in my own bed, with a belly full of wine and a girl's mouth around my c**k."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:06 pm 

Super Keen. Thankyou.

Regards
T
A
Z

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:51 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
Tony mate this is awesome, I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say a very big thank you!

Please keep them coming and as an 'elder' of the board (by which I mean I'm old LOL!) let me know if you need anything I may have in terms of images etc.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:43 am 

Permission to use pictures with your watermark for the purpose of comparison and illustration would be great Harry. Of course, anything that I have been sent with the disclaimer in the past that they not be shared I will respect that, and that goes for anybody.
Harry, Karen is so excited about coming back for the wedding she wants to start saving now!

Cheers

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:53 pm 
And a very big thank you from me too! I'm pretty much a noob here but have been a massive fan of all things Alien from the first days.

Hard to believe it's the franchise's 40th next year but there's always more to see/learn. Bring it on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:36 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
Tony, back before Chris passed away he had discovered the 1:18th Hot Toys snap figure kits. I can't remember if he told me this, or if it was in a post here, but he said that if he had found the 1:18th figures BEFORE he started up his 1:6th stuff, he would have created a line for the smaller figures and not bothered with the 1:6th stuff.

Just a little interesting tid-bit. :)

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:18 am 
Marine Raider

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.92155E1
So awesome! More please! Love the early history of the AL.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:00 pm 

yes please Tony, that would be great !

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:53 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
I can not stress enough the need to backup your images. With a 2tb drive from wish.com for less than 20 USD, always try to have 2 copies of your files, one at your house, and another at a remote fire and bomb proof location...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:50 pm 

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.02154E1
I'd love to see more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:09 am 
GarageGeek

this is great! somewhat related. if youve got any more archival stuff. I am looking like crazy for any photos and information regarding Men A Arms fiberglass armor. seems super rare and I cant seem to get much info on it much less find some to buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:30 pm 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
I also have one of Chris's 1/6 scale Rifleman kits [still to be painted / assembled], so this is of added interest to me , so thank you :)

Would also LOVE to see more of what you've got, image-wise (and whatever else too). Some of the archived stuff is of limited value without it's original pictures, and so if any of that were able to be 'repaired', that would be awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:19 pm 
Site Admin

Service Number: A06/TQ2.0.65181E6
Yes Tony, please share any images you would like to! And thanks for sharing what you have already!

http://www.rookscastle.com
http://www.alchemyarms.com

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:16 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Russ Krook III wrote:
Yes Tony, please share any images you would like to! And thanks for sharing what you have already!

And please, upload them to the forum. We have issues with older images disappearing if they are hosted elsewhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:17 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
That is so cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:44 am 
GarageGeek

I dug up a few things

https://web.archive.org/web/20080314105 ... chor140651

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:49 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
seven wrote:

That is awesome! Don't forget to click the green link at the very bottom of the page. It takes you to more pictures including the smartgunner kit and the completed scoped rifle kit (pics missing from main page). Such a trail blazer.