The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Are you happy with the charter in it's current form
Poll ended at Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:42 pm
yes 83%  83%  [ 38 ]
no 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 46
 Post subject: The Aliens Legacy Charter vote
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:42 pm 
Expendable

Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.52155E1
All,

Thank you for those who gave us suggestions for the charter. The link attached is the version that has been edited from the original draft from the other thread. I would like each member to read over the charter and vote if they approve of the charter in the current form. The poll will remain open for 14 days. At the conclusion, if voted yes, the charter will be adapted in the current form. We will then begin the census and voting for Colonial Admin and Division leadership. We will have a new sub-forum where members will be able to view the charter and make suggestions for changes to the charter once leadership has been established. Once again, thank you to those who helped draft it and those who put in suggestions.

Mike

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8/edit?usp=sharing

Red are deletions, green are additions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:12 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Nice work!

Although I've voted YES, I'd still be interested to hear the reasons / concerns of those that have voted NO ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:09 pm 
Chaplain

Service Number: A09/TQ1.0.12155E1
Let's not get into a "who voted what" discussion. I can only see that ending in arguments. If people want to discuss changes to make etc there will be a place for that.

People can vote how ever they wish and not have to answer for it.

Does not help,
Does not clean,
Will have sex with anything!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:34 pm 
Expendable

CheifProfanity wrote:
Let's not get into a "who voted what" discussion. I can only see that ending in arguments. If people want to discuss changes to make etc there will be a place for that.

:like:

Post subject: Re: The Aliens Legacy Charter vote
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:24 pm 
NZCM "Bug Stompers"

Service Number: A10/TQ1.0.22132E1
Done sir!

3 Day war on Titan Veteran ☠️

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:27 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
CheifProfanity wrote:

Fair enough. Wasn't looking for a witch hunt, was just curious.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:02 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Mantroon wrote:
septic wrote:
CheifProfanity wrote:

Fair enough. Wasn't looking for a witch hunt, was just curious.

It's a fair enough point. Wonder if I can set up an anonymous comment email or something.

Well, I'm not speaking for anyone in particular, nor even myself! I am just hypothesizing...

My assumption regarding 'no' votes is that they are a matter of principle. I can imagine that one of the appealing things about our group is the freedom that we all enjoy to do as we please here. Not having anyone judging us or having to answer to a 'higher authority' regarding how we partake in the hobby is probably one of the things they find very appealing. I am guessing they simply oppose any charter that might evolve into something that limits their options in the future.

Just my guess though. Personally I am not worried about all and think a little structure is healthy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:11 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
Just to say up front I haven't voted either way because I have been to exactly three drops in the entire time I've been here and two of those have been by myself...not as part of a larger USCM group, so I'm not sure if it's necessary for me. But if someone votes no, that they like things the way they are, it may be because they are worried that going this way might turn this place into the 501st, and I'm sure we've all heard those stories. In fact, similar conversations have popped up in the past and that's the one thing that has always been pointed out, that they are worried we'd turn into the 501st. They liked things casual, they liked that just about anyone could join, even if you had no costume.

Just putting that out there.

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:11 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
I absolutely agree 100% that no one wants this to become the 501st. Along the lines of my point above, I can easily see how those fearful of that scenario may see this as the 'first step' in that direction and oppose.

As a quick counterpoint, I do think there is such a thing as 'too laid back', though. What about the new members we lose because they actually desired a little structure? We have all seen dozens and dozens of new recruits pop in, introduce themselves and say something along the lines of "where is my local group/Can I start a local group/How can I be an active part of this?" The responses vary, of course, but most of the time they are met with us boasting that there are some groups, but that overall that kind of thing isn't necessary and simply contributing to the message board is plenty.

Surely those responses are meant as positives to highlight the easygoing nature of everyone here, but what if the person came to our forum specifically to find more local interactions? People to meet up with, build with, and troop with? There are definitely people who will find a message board alone insufficient to scratch their fandom itch. If/when they don't find guidance to help facilitate the level of participation they wanted, they may roll out never to return.

Providing clear guidelines should help new talent to engage and learn with no uncertainty regarding their long term goals. As they get comfortable they should grow to create new ships and new battalions and do more recruiting. As I said before, a little structure can be healthy. Now if the structure ever evolves to exclude or discourage interaction (like the 501st), then the reach has gone to far. Just gotta keep a close watch on that stuff and keep it in check.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:11 pm 
Expendable

Dropshipbob wrote:
Just to say up front I haven't voted either way because I have been to exactly three drops in the entire time I've been here and two of those have been by myself...not as part of a larger USCM group, so I'm not sure if it's necessary for me. But if someone votes no, that they like things the way they are, it may be because they are worried that going this way might turn this place into the 501st, and I'm sure we've all heard those stories. In fact, similar conversations have popped up in the past and that's the one thing that has always been pointed out, that they are worried we'd turn into the 501st. They liked things casual, they liked that just about anyone could join, even if you had no costume.

Just putting that out there.

And that is why there is no minimal amount of events for a person to attend a year. Many of us contribute to the group without going to cons or costuming. To remain active, you have to respond to the yearly census. That is it. No minimal events to attend, no requirement of even owning a costume.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:37 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
bigbisont, hunterkiller86, thanks for the clarification. :) We have been running a long time without a detailed inner structure, wouldn't hurt to try something new.

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:53 am 
'Nuff said.

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
Really only 40 members voted? Maybe we need to revisit the activity level. To me this is disappointing seeing it has been viewed over 1600 times.

UKCM
Shoot first, think never.
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:19 pm 
Marine Raider

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.92155E1
gman666 wrote:
Really only 40 members voted? Maybe we need to revisit the activity level. To me this is disappointing seeing it has been viewed over 1600 times.

Totally agree!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:10 am 

I’m cool with being a part of the HMAS - Endeavour crew. :)

Though I’ll have to remember to be careful when I bring my HCG original Pulse Rifle to conventions of course.

Voted. Thanks for posting a reminder on Facebook USCM members.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:47 pm 

When will you be purging the accounts of people that don't fit the criteria of the Charter?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:22 pm 

Mantroon wrote:
Osmotic wrote:
When will you be purging the accounts of people that don't fit the criteria of the Charter?

Huh?

There isn't going to be any purging.

My understanding was membership of this forum (club) was a requirement to be a member of one of the sub-designated costuming groups. I'm not a member of any of these groups.

Edit: Having looked at the 2642 odd members I'd have to say a huge percentage aren't either.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:48 pm 
Expendable

Osmotic wrote:
Mantroon wrote:
Osmotic wrote:

Huh?

My understanding was membership of this forum (club) was a requirement to be a member of one of the sub-designated costuming groups. I'm not a member of any of these groups.

Edit: Having looked at the 2642 odd members I'd have to say a huge percentage aren't either.

If you post on the forum and dont have a costume or do any costume related activities, you can still be a part of the club. The aliens legacy is a costume AND prop club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:10 pm 

That's good to hear Mike but not made too clear in your Charter.

Maybe you could make it clear club membership (being a member of this forum) is not reliant on Division membership

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:27 am 
Pint of AB negative please

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.12136E1
Osmotic wrote:
Mantroon wrote:
Osmotic wrote:

Huh?

When did you leave the UKCM?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:50 am 
Expendable

and that is a wrap. The charter has passed. I would like to thank all who helped draft it and those who have voted. we will be implementing changes soon and conducting our first roll call of forum members. Again thanks to everyone who voted.