The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Going to Conventions
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:46 pm 

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.92122G1
Hi
As you all know I am pretty new to this kind of displaying. Later on we would like to get our Pulse rifles but are unsure whether to buy solid resin or airsoft.

I notice that some of the cons now ban airsoft weapons from being taken in. Is this very common in the UK for this kind of thing
Whilst airsoft have that lovely realistic feel about them I want to be able to take them with me when I am in kit.
What would you advise as I don't want to waste my money

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:11 pm 

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.42137E1
Generally, most reasonable conventions will allow Airsoft guns that have been deactivated.

My Snow Wolf PRs have block barrels and the mechboxes have had all internal parts removed, so they are incapable of firing. Once this is explained, I've never had any issues.

Some cons want the trigger removed from the gun, but this is not always necessary.

Experiences will vary from one con to another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:54 pm 

Service Number: A12/TQ0.0.52149E1
Ciff the cons that UKCM get invited to allow us to carry airsoft so long as they are not loaded and no battery. if you go on your own it will depend on the individual cons policy. most of us have snow wolf pulse rifles as they are the cheapest option next to getting a resin/ 3d printed static model. just a notification in the UK the pulse rifle is classed as a RIF (replica imitation firearm ) so you will need a defense to buy one that is not two tone (costuming dosn't count)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:09 pm 

Thanks Big Stew.
I do have both shotgun and firearms licence so hopefully won't be too many hoops to jump through to get one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:03 pm 

firearms licences doesn't count for anything when buying airsoft. the law is very stupid you can buy a ppk 4.5mm air gun by just being 18 but can't buy a airsoft ppk with out a specific defense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:48 pm 

So what would you suggest as a defence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 12:06 pm 

Alot of us play airsoft so have that defence. Other defences are being a member of a reenactors group with public liability insurance or for theatrical perpouses such as making YouTube videos. Or you can buy a two tone version. It's illegal to paint it a realistic colour but that's up to yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:51 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Interesting, didn't know it was quite that bad [relatively speaking].
Wondering if there's a legal definition of "realistic colour", given it's not based on a 'real' firearm [ignoring the component weapons of course].

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:14 pm 

In the UK yes there several specific colours the a RIF must be 51% of to be classed as none realistic

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:49 pm 

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32141E1
I would still suggest going with a resin or even a 3d print instead of airsoft. An airsoft will run for about $300 + dollars. Resin go for way less than that and there's also EVA foam ones at less than $ 50 that come nothing short of authentic. Yes now a days cons are getting more strict on their weapons policy and I myself looking for other ways around.

Private
U.S.S FREMONT
9th Battalion 31st Regiment
USCM Monarchs

"Ready man, ready to get it on" Bill Paxton R.i.P

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:24 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Marc wrote:
... there's also EVA foam ones at less than $ 50 that come nothing short of authentic.

Interesting, can you link to it please?

Post subject: Re: Going to Conventions
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:54 am 

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32141E1
Pulse rifle tutorial
https://youtu.be/Pcd_ZM9zvlU

Private
U.S.S FREMONT
9th Battalion 31st Regiment
USCM Monarchs

"Ready man, ready to get it on" Bill Paxton R.i.P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:47 am 
Officers - Making simple s**t hard since 1775

Service Number: A07/TQ1.0.52135E1
Cliff, aren't you a member of a military re-enactment group?

They're allowed to buy blank firers and deactivated guns, maybe they'd let you buy a PR? :D

With regards to painting a 2-tone gun, I know airsofters that have bought 2-tone rifles and repainted them once they got their licence. You could just get a 2-tone gun, repaint it and if anyone queries it, just tell them you bought it like that second hand from someone :D

It should be noted that it is only illegal to sell a RIF, not to buy or own one. It is illegal to reapint a 2-tone gun, but the law as to what constitues a REALISTIC imitation firearm is somewhat hazy.

Easiest course of action IF you want a Snow Wolf airsoft rifle, if you know someone who has an airsoft licence get them to buy you one.

As Pulse Rifles are not real guns I think there maybe a little bit of latitude us costumers can get away with. Provided common sense is applied.

I quite happily walked through the centre of Colchester in full armour with my PR on their annual Invasion Colchester weekend without incident. However, if I were to do that on any regular day, THEN questions would be asked.

Similarly, when going to cons kit up when you get there and keep any weapons covered till you're at the event. Don't do what a certain Deadpool did a couple of years back when going to a con in London, who got on the train in full costume, complete with replica swords and toy guns. Only to find a police armed response unit waiting for him when he got to Kings Cross station.

But going back to the original question, it may be easier just to get a resin one for now. They DO need a bit of work doing to them (trimming, sanding, gluing, painting etc) to make them look decent, but this might be easier and cheaper. If chosing this option, you might want to look into getting a static ammo counter that lights up to fit to the side. Just for that extra bit of realism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:47 pm 
If found, please return to the Bar.

Dont waste your money on a resin PR. There are some VERY nice resin kits out there, but at the end of the day they are just a lump of non functioning solid resin. i had one and got bored very quickly.

You dont need any sort of license to buy an airsoft PR, but you do need a suitable defence/reason to buy one. Simon mentioned a reenactment group? THAT is a perfect defence. i myself own several WW2 vehicles and am a memebr of the military vehicle trust. ive used that defence to buy several airsoft weapons from all time periods.
im also a member of a napoleonic reenactment group, which i used recently to buy an M16 and a DL-44 blaster!

UKCM Black ops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:19 pm 
GarageGeek

Im begginig to see people make eva foam guns. some really awesome ones. I'm making one myself.
if we can get more people to start doing this then the references, plans, blueprints and tecniques will become more accessible.
as far as conductibility Id definitly recommend owning the matrix airsoft pulse rifle. its incredibly and the price is right.