The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: What is the principle of the pulse gun?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:07 am 

Electromagnetic pulses (EMP) can be produced under conditions such as nuclear explosion, lightning, sunspots, ductal effects, and electrical sparks. Among them, the Y-ray generated by the nuclear explosion radiates from the explosion point to the periphery at the speed of light, and collides with the oxygen and nitrogen atoms in the air to generate negatively charged electrons, resulting in the formation of a very strong electromagnetic field, commonly known as an electromagnetic pulse. It was discovered in the high-altitude nuclear explosion test in the 1940s. It can transmit powerful energy from the explosion point to the distant place in the form of electromagnetic waves in a very short time. During the process of travel, it will have a thermal damage effect on the electronic, information, cable and other facilities, and the task cannot be effectively carried out. Because the electromagnetic pulse has almost no direct harm to the human body, and the electronic system is used to destroy the object, for the purpose of defeating the enemy command, control, communication, computer, intelligence and surveillance system, to measure the future high-tech war, various scientific and technological weapons, All of them have the ability to engage in electromagnetic rush, in order to seize the "control electromagnetic power" first, and then dominate the battlefield advantage.

Post subject: Re: What is the principle of the pulse gun?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:11 pm 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

Some good research Annaa.

However, I don't believe the M41-A is an EMP weapon. Gorman already says it fires "10mm explosive tipped caseless. Standard light armour piercing round".

Annaa wrote:
Because the electromagnetic pulse has almost no direct harm to the human body

It wouldn't kill Aliens then... and even if it did, why would they need a solid 10mm round with an explosive tip?

In the Special Edition, Hudson says:
"Check it out. Independently targeting particle-beam phalanx. WHAP! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phased plasma pulse rifles, RPGs. We got sonic, electronic ball-breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks..."

Phase - To adjust the [material] phase of (something), especially so as to synchronize it with something else.
Plasma - Technically a seperate material phase, but basically a superheated gas used as a propellant. In theory, you could instantaneously sublimate and ionise a solid directly into a plasma.
Pulse - I assume this is just an electrical pulse used to fire the round.

So in essence, I read that as caseless rounds whereby an electronic pulse is used to turn the phase of a solid propellant into a plasma and shoot the 10mm explosive-tipped bullet at something.

Just my own geeky little thoughts, though.... whaddya reckon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:45 pm 

Service Number: A12/TQ0.0.52149E1
Pulse rifles use and electrical pulse to ignite the proplent that's all the ammo is caseless and don't
have primers

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:32 am 
Got a big ass gun and a can-do attitude

Electical ignition has been used in tanks for firing the main gun and Walther among others have produced caseless ammunition for rifles but it never took off so the tech is there but at the moment I haven't heard of any projects to combine the two to make a system like our beloved M41A Pulse rifle.

I think the phased plasma rifle refers to another weapon that we dont get to see in the movie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:15 am 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
The phased plasma bit could just a nod to terminator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:02 am 
GarageGeek

was this thread started with a copy and paste from wikipedia? and the pulse rifle refereed to as a "pulse gun"? something fishy is goin on here folks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:58 pm 

There's at least one other thread here that WAS directly copied from another source...

The Alien: Covenant thread is a word-for-word copy of the linked post made in May 2017 on Ars Technica:
https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1385235

And then there's a link for a "custom explainer video". Ash, Bishop, and Call may not be the only bots active on this forum... :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:01 pm 

Ttaskmaster wrote:
Some good research Annaa.

However, I don't believe the M41-A is an EMP weapon. Gorman already says it fires "10mm explosive tipped caseless. Standard light armour piercing round".

Annaa wrote:
Because the electromagnetic pulse has almost no direct harm to the human body

It wouldn't kill Aliens then... and even if it did, why would they need a solid 10mm round with an explosive tip?

In the Special Edition, Hudson says:
"Check it out. Independently targeting particle-beam phalanx. WHAP! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phased plasma pulse rifles, RPGs. We got sonic, electronic ball-breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks..."

Phase - To adjust the [material] phase of (something), especially so as to synchronize it with something else.
Plasma - Technically a seperate material phase, but basically a superheated gas used as a propellant. In theory, you could instantaneously sublimate and ionise a solid directly into a plasma.
Pulse - I assume this is just an electrical pulse used to fire the round.

So in essence, I read that as caseless rounds whereby an electronic pulse is used to turn the phase of a solid propellant into a plasma and shoot the 10mm explosive-tipped bullet at something.

Just my own geeky little thoughts, though.... whaddya reckon?

We never saw the Phased Pulse Plasma Rifles in Aliens, just weapons in 10mm ballistic variety.

They did have the PPPR in Colonial Marines, was more of a heavy-ish weapon, somewhat anti armor, slow firing and massive damage.

The M41s, and Smartguns are fired by an electric charge “igniting” the propellant, instead of a firing pin and a primer; you saw Vasquez and Drake handing off thier battery packs when Gorman ordered to collect the ammo, as it was easier to collect those than unload the belt and drum.