The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Pulse Rifle sound fx
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:04 pm 

I'm assisting a few people with studio sanctioned projects and we're trying to find accurate, high quality sound clips of the PR - a search here brought up a wild assortment of answers, but nothing concrete...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:35 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
There are the computer games. I know people were able to retrieve sound bites from the original AvP computer game.

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:37 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
Roy Charman the sound recordist died in 1990 but I wonder if the original multi-track tapes are still in an archive at Fox somewhere?

Harry

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:31 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Harry Harris wrote:
Roy Charman the sound recordist died in 1990 but I wonder if the original multi-track tapes are still in an archive at Fox somewhere?

Harry

If the ad agency I worked for is any indications, they are most definately in archives somewhere. Whether you can find them is the real question.

Now on my build I had to edit the sound file with Audacity to make it sound reallly close to the movie sound with the electronics, but it worked...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:27 am 
GarageGeek

this is random but.. I sew professionally and the industrial machine I use is the exact sound of a pulse rifle. the pulse rifle just has the pitch raised. I dont know if thats where they got the sound for the movie but its the same sound. no difference. its an old chandler sewing industrial machine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:29 am 
Moderator & screen used

Are you able to get a high-quality (i.e. not on a cellphone) audio recording of it?

Harry

Post subject: Re: Pulse Rifle sound fx
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:19 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Harry do you want/need the copy of the sounds that I use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:50 am 
Moderator & screen used

I was more curious about the sewing machine than anything, but Willie may like to hear what you have.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:59 am 
GarageGeek

i have a friend with a recording device. its a ZOOM H4n, I will get a recording of it in the next two weeks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:32 am 
GarageGeek

in Aliens youcan hear the pitch change in the pulse rifle sound. you can hear it raise and lower but it stays at the same speed. it goes " braaap Braaap, Brrrrrp Brrrrp". im going to record it at various speeds. but they just modulated the pitch. they didnt get the pitch up just by speeding it up. it was modulated and that wasnt as easy at that time. I heard JC spend hours getting that sound right. At the time this would have been time consuming, now its easy in garageband. I will post the model of chandler sewing machine I use asap, so people can do research. I'll get files for garageband and MP3 soon. I'd bet anything it's where the sound came from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:56 pm 

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.32154E1
Hi! I've often wondered about the pulse rifle report, and how they made the sound. In my opinion, I've always thought that they used a flanger distortion pedal, commonly used for electric guitars as it gives a distinct sweeping sound effect; a kind of a tubular, passing jet noise, and then adjust the pitch and speed of the Thompson in a sound studio. Still, I would like to know exactly how the sound techs made that awesomely iconic pulse rifle effect!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:54 pm 
GarageGeek

catling wrote:
Hi! I've often wondered about the pulse rifle report, and how they made the sound. In my opinion, I've always thought that they used a flanger distortion pedal, commonly used for electric guitars as it gives a distinct sweeping sound effect; a kind of a tubular, passing jet noise, and then adjust the pitch and speed of the Thompson in a sound studio. Still, I would like to know exactly how the sound techs made that awesomely iconic pulse rifle effect!

Definitely agreed on the Flanger effect being part of it. i recently recorded my sewing machine with my phone, gonna try to upload the files somewhere so people can check it out. maybe put some flange on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:14 am 

Are none of the games suitable? Can't remember if any are really accurate to the film?