The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: MOOSH's Uniform Build (Photos on page 3!)
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:25 am 
Duke Bronson

Did you get the inner lens cap with that, Melissa? It makes it much easier to attach to a resin camera kit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:03 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
It doesn't appear to come with the inner lens cap, but that is OK, If I do make a camera out of it, I will likely 3D model and print a hollow camera body, so I can stick a small wifi camera inside or even swap it out with a small HD camera. With the wifi camera I'm looking at, I can record and view the camera from my iPhone or my PC. Kind of like Gorman I guess.

http://thumbdrive.com/cart/product.php?id_product=2
http://www.thumbdrive.com/aiball/intro.html

It can shoot 15fps or 30fps depending on settings, which is cool!

I'm not really a helmet wearer so I may build a smartgunner headset, or make something EU. Haven't decided just yet, just researching my options :) Until then it will look nice on my shelf :)

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:45 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
You'd make a kickass SmartGunner Moosh! If you integrated the whole thing into your chair it would be a fun EU look with some practical benefits.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:58 pm 
Synthetic Humanoid

retrogarde wrote:
You'd make a kickass SmartGunner Moosh! If you integrated the whole thing into your chair it would be a fun EU look with some practical benefits.

Cool idea! Perhaps Moosh could get a twin mini gun setup, one for each side of her chair! :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:08 pm 
Pint of AB negative please

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.12136E1
When do you have time to do this with all that PS4 goodness that keeps popping up on my screen :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:45 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Haha, I have seriously considered a smartgun rig for my chair!

and Kris, I am enjoying the everloving hell out of my PS4! haha

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:54 am 

Moosh89 wrote:
Haha, I have seriously considered a smartgun rig for my chair!

and Kris, I am enjoying the everloving hell out of my PS4! haha

I noticed lol how is Battlefield 4?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:54 am 
Mobile Mayhem

BF4 is amazing, except I suck at it because of the Dualshock 4 using the triggers instead of the shoulder buttons for aiming and shooting, and the analogue sticks are stiffer than the Dualshock 3, which makes it harder to control precisely with my limited strength. I either don't push hard enough or I push too hard. I just need practice, it will take time to build up the strength and ability to get back to my old ways. Until then my K/D ratio will be suffering majorly hahaha. I think it's at like .30 percent, and my accuracy is only 3%! Ouch! haha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:29 am 

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:05 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Today I decided to draw up my Version 2 concept for my Service C shirt. I wanted to add a little bit more femininity to it. I figured some small lapels would look nice so I drew this up quickly. I really like it! I guess it will be my next project for the new year!

Attachment:
MOOSHServiceCShirtDesignV2_zps74bc552c.PNG
MOOSHServiceCShirtDesignV2_zps74bc552c.PNG [ 76.04 KiB | Viewed 5214 times ]

I'm also going to be possibly getting a vinyl plotter for Christmas. Should be nifty! I always wanted to try and recreate the pattern of Vasquez's bandana, so I should be able to knock out a few of those as well, That is my next project :) I have some nice images of the bandana to retrace the pattern from.

That is all for now :)

Last edited by Moosh89 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:13 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Alright: you tackle Vas's bandana in 2014 and I'll tackle Brett's shirt! Great stuff Moosh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 8:50 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Seeing M56 Smart One's awesome thread reminded me about my bandana project :)

In my research I have done I found that the screen accurate bandanas are not too hard to find, but "good" ones are hard! A decent one can range from $60-$70 but most of them have defects like holes or questionable stains, or are stretched/shrunk and mis-shapen. Those range in the $20-$30 price range.

There are 2 variants of the same pattern, the "Vasquez" one is red with black and white print, and there is a blue version with all white print.

They were printed sometime in the 40's-70's so are classed as "vintage" so that is why the prices are ridiculous. I saw someone selling a skirt made from them and I wanted to "Ghost Dad" strangle them through the internet haha!

My recreation of the art is almost complete. It's very quirky up close because it must have been hand drawn but thankfully I have been able to spot some repeats in the pattern. I really want to nail the quirks. So far so good! I have an eye for fine detail ;)

The hardest part?? Finding suitable blank bandanas in the right size!! They are not geometric, they are 20" x 22", but after many hours searching I have found a company that sells bulk volumes and offers custom sizing. They do pigment printing as well but minimum for that is 1000 pieces! And they won't print designs that could be trademarked. I will have to find another method to get the art on, in smaller volumes. I can buy the bandanas by the dozen though

I was thinking of doing different colours, I figure the pattern is the most important part but does everyone want to have the exact as Vasquez?? Rest assured if I do get this going Red and Blue are priority colours! :)

I thought of colours like:

Black with white art
Yellow with black and white art
Orange with black and white art
Pink with black and white art
Purple with black and white art
Olive drab with black and white art
Grey with black and white art
White with black art

Maybe even if it goes good, Spat might want to see it on his camo bandanas! Might look sharp :)

If anyone has ideas for printing, preferably "pigment printing" so you can't feel the art, shout!

Otherwise I might have to heat press them with vinyl, which might feel weird :(

Oh! I also finished my V2 Service C shirt! It's seen in my avatar but I will get a proper photo soon :)

*Edit* Here's a photo of the new shirt! It's made from a female USMC Service Charlie shirt, I'm not happy with the pocket flaps, I will make better ones that have the screen accurate angles :)

Attachment:
B6D7BD25-1F89-4066-88A3-9D956FE0525E_zpsijktaikb.JPG
B6D7BD25-1F89-4066-88A3-9D956FE0525E_zpsijktaikb.JPG [ 82.43 KiB | Viewed 5214 times ]

Last edited by Moosh89 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 4:41 pm 
Duke Bronson

Very nice.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 5:04 pm 
reload

Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
Hi Melissa! Good progress. Good luck also with your bandana and other projects.

GERCM - Executive Officer (XO)
UKCM Foreign Legion: The Deviant Dragoons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:18 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Finally got around to finishing my recreation of the screen accurate "Vasquez" Bandana art!

Here are some small, lower quality samples, but good enough for you to get an idea! The art itself is very crisp.

It was confusing and time consuming to get all the quirks right! But I think I have it as best as I can get it. I am going to check into Spoonflower fabric printing later today :)

Samples:

Red with Black and White art, "Vasquez":
Attachment:
VasquezBandanaArtRedSample_zps3d19daf5.JPG
VasquezBandanaArtRedSample_zps3d19daf5.JPG [ 76.36 KiB | Viewed 5214 times ]

Blue with White art, the other genuine style:
Attachment:
VasquezBandanaArtBlueWhiteSample_zpsd7c02743.JPG
VasquezBandanaArtBlueWhiteSample_zpsd7c02743.JPG [ 86.54 KiB | Viewed 5214 times ]

Blue with Black and White art; Black with White art; Orange with Black and White art; Pink with Black and White art;
Grey with Black and White art; Yellow with Black and White art; Purple with Black and White art; Olive Drab with Black and White art:
Attachment:
Alternate Bandana Colour Samples.jpg
Alternate Bandana Colour Samples.jpg [ 574.25 KiB | Viewed 5214 times ]

Thoughts on colours? :)

Last edited by Moosh89 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:38 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.52267E1
I'm really liking the red (of course) and the olive drab. That works remarkably well in a paisley pattern, my only worry would be that it blends in too much with the rest of the uniform and armour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:09 am 
Mobile Mayhem

So on Sunday we took a drive to Lloydminster to do some visiting with my brother Jon, and some shopping. We were cruising around Walmart, in the boring clothes section, and it happened again... A shirt stood out from the crowd of ugly department store clothing...

It was a Hallelujah moment...

The closest candidate for a white Nostromo shirt in my size!

Attachment:
6D6DA513-9AC0-46C0-81F5-6A7E063ECAF9_zpskx2imgva.JPG
6D6DA513-9AC0-46C0-81F5-6A7E063ECAF9_zpskx2imgva.JPG [ 61.92 KiB | Viewed 5214 times ]

Closer

Attachment:
41421882-6EA0-4072-B40A-2E6FDBAFEA98_zps8gnzjgpq.JPG
41421882-6EA0-4072-B40A-2E6FDBAFEA98_zps8gnzjgpq.JPG [ 63.2 KiB | Viewed 5214 times ]

Remember, my previous black shirt and my grey pants came from Walmart, same brand, "George" as well! Haha

All it needs is the panels on the chest, pen loops, sleeve pocket, epaulets, pink trim piping and a light Nostromo patch, and wings!

I have plenty material and piping left over from Moms shirt too :)

It was only $12! And THE POCKETS! The flaps are the right shape and they have 2 pleats! Sure they're a little small but it doesn't matter on my shirt, I'm small! I like that it has the opened V-neck too, great for keeping my olive undershirt visible!

That wasn't my only Walmart score either, we swung by the craft section and I got some olive thread for my OG 507 hat mod I plan to do when Mom spotted a tiny seamstress iron! It's the perfect size for me to handle and I need one for sewing to make nice hemmed edges :)

SCORE!!

Woot!

Last edited by Moosh89 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:20 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Great score!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:52 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Minor updates!

Just bought one of Nick's Motion Tracker kits! Excited for that!

Next up is ordering some Spat BDUs, then a marsattack Smartgun Headset :)

Moms Alien costume kit should be shipping soon too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:38 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Just got back from a 2 week stay in the city. While we were there I hit up a few places, one of them a hobby store and snagged some paints. No Brown Bess unfortunately but I got some other Humbrol colours, except Matt Black. I did get the Tamiya Black Green and Khaki Drab though!

I just got one tin of each for now, for colour matching, or if I get brave enough I will order more tins online.

When we got back last night, we had a pile of mail waiting. Among bills and flyers was a small envelope from Spoonflower, I had ordered a swatch of Cotton Voile. The print clarity is fantastic but the material is so thin it washes the colour out too much, so Red looks almost pinkish-orange. It was recommended for bandanas but I think their idea is suited more for fancy scarves and such. I will tweak the design a bit more and order it in a different material sample.

I also got some figurines from the city from my brother, the Hicks and Hudson 2 packs and the light up egg with launching facehugger. I'm already thinking of swapping the LEDs for some amber coloured ones to make it less Alien cover art and more Alien movie where Kane shines his light on the side.

Since I am broke as a joke right now, I am thinking of trying to do Amanda Ripley's outfit from Isolation for this September. I had asked CA if they could post a how to for her outfit as well as patch art, and low and behold, they did!

I managed to find white hightops in my size on eBay finally, so I bought those, as well as a set of keys and aluminum cam lock for $2 to use a key for a necklace. Just have to get a flightsuit in my size, denim shirt, some fleece wool and some brown pleather and get sewing! We are getting our basement back soon so Mom can get her Ripley suit back! YES!

Last edited by Moosh89 on Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:44 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

That would be sweet if she was Ellen and you were Amanda. You two could talk really, really fast and make a show called The Ripley Girls!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:54 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Our plan is to go as the Ripleys haha

Scored the right size flight suit today too for $50! I'm on a roll! (no pun intended ;) )

Also found out LANCE is coming to the Saskatoon Expo too! What the heck do I get signed NOW??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:50 pm 

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.12261E1
I am just honored to have reminded you about the bandana. Very cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:17 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Slightly bigger update!

Amanda Ripley is soo sooo near completion, however she will be making an appearance this weekend minus her patches and name tape. We ran out of time since my nephew showed up!

Headset and key necklace:
Attachment:
55F6DA8C-01F0-4DCA-BD5C-736362AEF096_zps3tan98ag.JPG
55F6DA8C-01F0-4DCA-BD5C-736362AEF096_zps3tan98ag.JPG [ 58.27 KiB | Viewed 5214 times ]

Attachment:
213988EB-E805-4A2B-BBDA-427B5746DA20_zpswiolo5te.JPG
213988EB-E805-4A2B-BBDA-427B5746DA20_zpswiolo5te.JPG [ 67.9 KiB | Viewed 5214 times ]

Attachment:
88897CDC-1F1B-440F-B969-C089FDD1FC3A_zpsw58vd0wd.JPG
88897CDC-1F1B-440F-B969-C089FDD1FC3A_zpsw58vd0wd.JPG [ 51.04 KiB | Viewed 5214 times ]

And the flight suit and shirt:

Before mods:
Attachment:
IMG_1871_zpsba953afc.JPG
IMG_1871_zpsba953afc.JPG [ 90.76 KiB | Viewed 5214 times ]

As it is now:
Attachment:
IMG_2031_zps4d1aff65.JPG
IMG_2031_zps4d1aff65.JPG [ 94.93 KiB | Viewed 5214 times ]

Far from perfect, but still pretty cool!

We also got the Monsterroom Alien kit and a black wetsuit in as well, we are taking it to the Saskatoon Expo to drop off with our friend who will finish it, Exciting!!!

I have some other goodies to share that I recently picked up but will do that after we get back, busy packing right now!!

Later!

Post subject: Re: MOOSH's Costume Builds [Updated Feb 2018]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:04 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Well, it's been 3.5 years since I updated this thread! I've gone through and updated all my photos to be uploaded to the forum.

Lots has progressed in all that time! Mostly on the Prop front, whereas this thread is mainly for costumes.

We went to the Saskatoon Expo as I mentioned in the last post. I recall it being pretty fun! Mom went as Ripley from Alien again and I was Amanda Ripley from Isolation. I met Lance Henriksen again, which was really cool! My nephew Tayler joined us as Batman. It was his first expo. We actually haven't been to any more since this one which makes me a bit sad, but hoping we can catch Calgary or Edmonton again sometime soon.

Attachment:
DSC_1575e.jpg
DSC_1575e.jpg [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 5213 times ]

Attachment:
DSC_1608e.jpg
DSC_1608e.jpg [ 1.05 MiB | Viewed 5213 times ]

Attachment:
10622964_10152264340252721_8330119009514263671_n.jpg
10622964_10152264340252721_8330119009514263671_n.jpg [ 92.77 KiB | Viewed 5213 times ]

... More to come in the next posssssssssssssssst... :xeno:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 190 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next