The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Looking for marines/xenos for photoshoot
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:46 pm 

Hey everyone.

Firstly, this is a new account for me. I used to be a member here years ago but I can't find any of my login details.
Hey all!!!!

Currently this is just a 'testing the water' request to see who is out there and if people may be interested in helping/getting involved.

My name is Ben Hughes and i am a freelance photographer based in London.
I am currently working on some personal projects and one of them that came up is a mock advertising campaign for the Colonial Marines.
I would love to shoot some high end images featuring marines and possible a xenomorth, out in the filed (location or in a studio with a little set building).
I'm still working on the concept and shot ideas but they would be more documentary style rather that in to the camera portraits
This kind of thing (very loosely)
https://twt-media.washtimes.com/media/image/2012/03/08/new-marines_live.jpg
http://www.globatron.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/marine.jpg

Before I go fully into planning shots and ideas I wanted to see if people would actually want to get involved? Although I am a massive life long Aliens fan and still have half of the parts for my pulse rifle waiting in the loft, I don't have any armour, weapons or props etc. So with out willing marines the project is a little dead in the water.

As mentioned, this is a personal project for my portfolio and is not a commissioned job so every expense will be coming out of my own pocket. The images would be used for my personal publicity and not sold off anywhere. Because of this I can't currently say that I would be able to pay anyone although depending on the shots and what I need for them there is always a possibility. The main priority for any budget I use will be prop/set build, lighting, smoke etc etc as these things have to be done properly to make the images A+.
Any travel, food etc would definitely be paid as standard. Also I would supply copies of any photos you feature in.
I could always offer photography as a payment if anyone wanted some portraits in their kit.

Anyway, that's a bit further down the line if I can find people to join in.

So, basically would anyone on here be (potentially) interested?

My website is http://www.BenHughesPhotography.com if you want to have a look at other stuff I have done although I am currently trying to steer it towards more advertising hence the personal projects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:18 am 

Service Number: A02/TQ0.0.82162G1
I'd love to be able to help you, but I don't even have a BDU yet

Post subject: Re: Looking for marines/xenos for photoshoot
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:49 am 
reload

Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
Sounds like a great idea.

What is the timeline for your project?
Would it be possible to do the shooting at a Con? So you get more people already geared up.

GERCM - Executive Officer (XO)
UKCM Foreign Legion: The Deviant Dragoons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:17 pm 

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.42140E1
Sounds interesting, we're not too far from London so could be in a position to come and play :)

Cheers,
Doug

"If it doesn't get you dirty, it's not worth doing."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:17 pm 
I CAME IN LIKE A WRECKING BALL...

Service Number: A12/TQ2.0.82145E1
Certainly possible - as Frank said, cons could be a good choice to shoot.

"There are very few problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:35 pm 
Officers - Making simple s**t hard since 1775

Service Number: A07/TQ1.0.52135E1
I'd be interested certainly, however it depends when you wanted to do it. I work funny shifts so would have to swing it round my days off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:27 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
I'm jealous! This sounds like a fantastic project man.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:41 pm 

Service Number: A07/TQ2.0.12129E1
Would you want to use an American APC for shots?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:18 am 

Hey everyone, yay people are here. I thought it had all gone quiet.

Sorry for the late reply but I freelance so sometimes I'm quiet and other time just want to go to bed asap.

Great to hear that people may be interested. I'm not a massive forum person so can't quite remember how to address people directly.
So let me try and address the questions so far.

Time frame for the project: It's technically fluid. It's a personal project so no deadline but I want to try and get it going sooner rather than later. I have been mulling the idea for about half a year at the back of my mind and this year I really want to start shooting more advertising work so I need to get my personal projects going. Hence me posting on here. Saying that, freelance is a roller-coaster so for all I know I suddenly get crazy busy and can't do any personal work for a while.

Funny shifts and days off are fine depending. My work is pretty random, week days, weekends, night shoots (hey if anyone wants to shoot at night we can arrange that)

As for the conventions, it is a great idea for getting people together in one place but at this split second I don't know how I would shoot it. I want to either fix a few locations that look right for marines or build a few little bits of door/wall etc in a studio. I want to light things, haze etc. Very cinematic and real.
I am however going to have a think and see if the convention idea would work in anyway. Might be a possibility of shooting somewhere after a convention, so everyone is already out on patrol. I will have to think. Great idea though.

Gunny63 is that an offer? :) Have you got some kind of hefty vehicle? It hasn't been worked into the first ideas for shots although I do have a reference image I pulled that is from the cab of a vehicle that I liked the idea of. Again, these images would be for a fictional advertising campaign for the Colonial Marines so I would dress up any vehicle with bits to look more futuristic. I say I, I mean a set dresser/builder. Currently looking around my contacts to see who may like to help me out although I am pretty hands on with set building.

Found a cheap place out in Essex selling metal floor gratings!

Again, thanks to everyone offering to get involved.

When are the next conventions that you may attend?
Do people have pics of them selves or their kit so I can see who's out there?
What kit do you all have?

And again, I'm not massively forum savvy so please say if I've overstepped something.

Thanks everyone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:32 am 

Well, myself and some of the Reel Icons (UK Garrison) colonial marines will be at MCM Birmingham next month, but its a bit hit and miss trying to catch us. Especially when we have the Xenos with us, as everyone wants a photo, so we struggle to get far from the changing area, then they start overheating, so have to head back.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:59 am 

SimonT wrote:
Well, myself and some of the Reel Icons (UK Garrison) colonial marines will be at MCM Birmingham next month, but its a bit hit and miss trying to catch us. Especially when we have the Xenos with us, as everyone wants a photo, so we struggle to get far from the changing area, then they start overheating, so have to head back.

Ah ok, possibly a little soon to get organised and I would have to set the shoot up that way. How many colonial marines do you have in your group?

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:53 pm 

MrMila wrote:

Ah ok, possibly a little soon to get organised and I would have to set the shoot up that way. How many colonial marines do you have in your group?

It varies from con to con, as being in Reel Icons/UK Garrison members alternate between different movie costumes. There should be 3 or 4 of us hopefully plus at least a couple of Xenos.

Me and Andy (Nostromo) will be there, so at least 2 of us, but as for the rest its hit and miss.

Theres usually a small group that does the London MCM cons, but I rarely do those.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:14 pm 

Service Number: A07/TQ2.0.12129E1
I am in a Vietnam living history group, we have 2 x M113 APC's, I could possibly arrange for you to do some photos with them, depending on times etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:00 pm 

Service Number: A06/TQ1.0.02140E1
sounds fun there must be plenty here who would give it a go