The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: A NOTE/REQUEST re: "Archives Section" (update thread/pics!)
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:32 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
As touched upon in other threads, updating the 'Archives' section is a goal for the site.

The #1 problem with the "Archives" section is MISSING PICTURES.
Dead links, defunk websites, and hosting site changes have left a large chunk of the archives devoid of the most powerful tool for research: Images!!!

If you are the author or primary contributor to a thread currently featured in the archives, please contact me!
I would like to restore your thread to its former glory and get updated image files permanently attached/uploaded.

Likewise, threads that cannot have their information providing ability restored will be retired.
(and no, I do NOT mean 'deleted'. They will still be found in the ready line, just un-archived).

In general, everyone please remember:
*Uploading images to your thread is almost always the best option. Yes, there are only 5 images allowed "per post", but there is NO LIMIT to how many "posts" may appear in a 'Thread'. So upload away and take joy in knowing the site will save them forever (unlike image hosting).
*If you have a thread that you feel is worthy of the "Archive" section, please contact a mod and suggest/nominate it (but please make sure that threads images work!!!)

Post subject: Re: A NOTE/REQUEST re: "Archives Section" (update thread/pic
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:36 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
And there are limits to the picture sizes filewise.

Another way to put this any thread that is archived has to have pictures attached directly to the thread and not hosted externally.

Within 5 years a typical website disappears. There are very few, if any, websites that last 10+ years.

Most websites in the 5+ year category tend to have issues with missing images and out of date contact information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:44 am 

Could not agree more, bigbisont...came up against this problem when getting information on assembling a pulse rifle. Archives has valuable information and would be a shame to lose the images altogether as the knowledge gets lost.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:11 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
Agreed as well. One tip I'd like to mention, is when we see photos blocked from Photobucket due to their new 3rd party sharing block, its still possible to view the photo if you click on the blocked image as it should take you to its destination, or at least within a few more clicks.

Can't wait to see these old threads restored!

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:54 pm 

Moosh89 wrote:
Agreed as well. One tip I'd like to mention, is when we see photos blocked from Photobucket due to their new 3rd party sharing block, its still possible to view the photo if you click on the blocked image as it should take you to its destination, or at least within a few more clicks.

That would work, longer term, as we will be around for decades...
We need to get the files hosted locally on our site. These file sharing and hosting sites are a dime a dozen and disappear after a few year more often than not.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:59 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
knoxvilles_joker wrote:
Moosh89 wrote:

We need to get the files hosted locally on our site. These file sharing and hosting sites are a dime a dozen and disappear after a few year more often than not.

Right, that was more of a tip for those who are collecting images to upload to the site :) :delta:

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:29 pm 

Moosh89 wrote:
knoxvilles_joker wrote:
Moosh89 wrote:

Right, that was more of a tip for those who are collecting images to upload to the site :) :delta:

Unfortunately I am not that good at reading minds yet (Have not drunk enough water from the discharge stream from our local nuclear power plant.) I have also found that Power point 2010 and above has a nice photo gallery slide show option and you can save it as a video too. The adobe creative suite also has a nice web photo gallery option...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:11 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Since collecting images to archive was the point of this thread I didn't think mind reading was required.

If we can combine our efforts we might still save some of these older (but important) threads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:33 pm 

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.92142G1
Great to see that a clean up is finally happening. Its been long overdue! How do i contact a mod? Thanks

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:24 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
stimpy wrote:
Great to see that a clean up is finally happening. Its been long overdue! How do i contact a mod? Thanks

Easiest way is probably to go ahead and 'PM' me.

Side note, if you want to update an existing thread with pics, but cannot for whatever reason, PM me and I'll give you my email address. You can then just email me the pics and I'll figure it out.