The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:26 pm 

Thanks, guys!

I'm going to finalize it a bit then take some better pictures.

Next will be a full size version of at least the head with jaw actuation figured out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:22 pm 

Just added some resource/reference links to the first post.

Finals pics coming soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:14 am 

Some attempts at living room shots a few days after Halloween. Thought I already posted them here. Whoops.

Anyone still referencing this thread, feel free to PM me if you have any questions, comments, or feedback! Anyone building your own, post up pics!

Post subject: Re: Mini alien warrior build
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:19 am 
reload

Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
Awesome work. Thanks for sharing.

GERCM - Executive Officer (XO)
UKCM Foreign Legion: The Deviant Dragoons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:21 am 

Your works are increddible :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:31 pm 

Thanks, guys!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:20 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ3.0.02118E1
Red_2 wrote:
Some attempts at living room shots a few days after Halloween. Thought I already posted them here. Whoops.

Anyone still referencing this thread, feel free to PM me if you have any questions, comments, or feedback! Anyone building your own, post up pics!

I'm referencing this thread a lot. Working on a costume for my Grandson. Already scraped the Styrofoam head I started. Should have bought the stuff you used! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:51 am 

Can't wait to see it, Drake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:18 pm 

Red_2 wrote:
Can't wait to see it, Drake!

R
Hey Red, Well I got as much done as I could for my grandsons xenomorph costume and we attended Indiana Comic Con. We had a fantastic time. His costume brought it all together and we all felt like rock stars! So many pictures and compliments. I used a lot of your ideas to help me build his costume and I wanted to thank you for your build thread. It really was the inspiration I needed to start such a project!

BF7DAAB3-7419-42C6-86EB-4510E6272D3A.png
BF7DAAB3-7419-42C6-86EB-4510E6272D3A.png [ 1023.58 KiB | Viewed 4162 times ]

23D0AECF-9EDF-407F-B825-64620A873A5A.png
23D0AECF-9EDF-407F-B825-64620A873A5A.png [ 1.98 MiB | Viewed 4162 times ]

45E7FA2B-6C5F-4C9C-8F75-6AD81F2761B0.png
45E7FA2B-6C5F-4C9C-8F75-6AD81F2761B0.png [ 1.81 MiB | Viewed 4162 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:37 pm 

AWESOME!!! Great job, Drake!! Oh man, you're so welcome and I'm glad the build was helpful to you.

Did he love it?

Pretty soon we'll have a decent mini-xeno hive on this board!

(I'm still working on my 1:1 head but have been on pause a month or so. Need to get back on it.)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:42 pm 

Red_2 wrote:
AWESOME!!! Great job, Drake!! Oh man, you're so welcome and I'm glad the build was helpful to you.

Did he love it?

Pretty soon we'll have a decent mini-xeno hive on this board!

(I'm still working on my 1:1 head but have been on pause a month or so. Need to get back on it.)

Thanks Red_2! Not only did he love it but everyone loved it! My Granddaughter who has been our Ripley, wants me to make one for her! LOL! So, I'll be watching your 1:1 build. You have great ideas, I used a vest like you did and it made it so easy and comfortable for him to wear and easy to take off when he got tired. The mini-xeno's are awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:44 pm 

That is great! Glad to hear it!

Yeah, I can't take credit for the vest idea, I learned that from another DIY alien suit build. I think the link is in the first post. It works perfectly!

Worked on the 1:1 head yesterday. Will post pics as soon as progress is made.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:47 pm 

Pulled this bad boy out of storage and despite the 6 year old now being 8, and having gained some vertical (and horizontal) inches, the suit still fits!

Built my daughter a yautja costume for last Halloween, and there's a Con down the road from us this weekend so I'm tuning up/upgrading the mini-xeno so they can dress up together. It'll be a mini AVP weekend. :) (Which I have some questions you guys about.)

Here's the yautja!

First step on the xeno was fixing the deteriorated jaw tendons. Got some new Trojans and baby powder this time to help deal with the latex.

Same method as last time. Cleaned condoms, cut both ends and then one cut down the middle. This time after cleaning and drying the condoms, I sprinkled baby powder inside and out. So much easier to handle. Then crazy glued little strips of EVA for anchors.

Cut in the anchor points.

Cut tendons to shape and glued in with hot glue. I'll fill in the gaps and paint over to finalize.

Next I'm going to upgrade the ribbed features of his arms and thighs. Also going to add that forearm blade.

I used a thick corduroy last time, but wanted something with slightly more depth, after ruminating and searching for something to use, I ended up just cutting strips if EVA.

Measured and drew up templates, all cut out but ran out of EVA. Off to the store ...

I'm also making new feet this time with upholstery foam and latex. Same method I used for the yautja feet.

Meanwhile, any tips on cosplaying with a 6 and an 8 year old? I'm used to a designated room where us Stormtroopers do our thing, but I'm thinking when you show up in costume like this it's to each their own. So change by the car? Go to the bathroom first. And be prepared with snack and water.

Any other tips?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:44 pm 
GarageGeek

how dis this all turn out? my only tip would be beer, which every con has lots of.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:00 pm 

seven wrote:
how dis this all turn out? my only tip would be beer, which every con has lots of.

Hill Country Comic Con is next weekend, 5 days from now, so it'll be workworkwork to get it ready.

Dang, beer is a good idea but I don't drink. Neither do the kids. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:41 am 

Here's the basic set up for the arm/leg ribbed plates.

Used crazy to tack them on there. I tried a spray glue but after several ribs the glue dried and wasn't tacky anymore.

I trimmed the extra off and then used 1/4" foam backer rod around the whole plate. I cut a notch out of the foam to sit on the edge.
Primed then painted with black plastidip.

Here's the breakdown for the feet. Upholstery foam, EVA exercise mat for the sole, trimmed and shaped with scissors and x-acto/razor. One piece of foam for the sides and heel and another for the top. Basically a wedge. Very quick and rudimentary due to time constraint. Then several coats of latex, added 1/4" backer rod for tendon effect and one strip of wire loom for ribbed vein. Carved nails out of insulation foam and attached by coating with latex then sticking it to the feet. Did the same for the heel spikes. (Dried latex sticks really well to dried latex. Then recoat again.) A couple more coats of latex then primed with white plastidip, painted with black plastidip. Highlighted with blue acrylic dry brushing. I was worried they were gonna look a little rough but they ended up doing the job just fine,

Here's most of the new bits ready to go, I tuned up the hands a bit too.

Glued on the plates with hot glue. Duct tape mannequin legs underneath.

Here's decent pic of him suited up. Notice the new forearm blades. Those didn't take very long. I used elastic contact glued at the wrist and elbow so it slid on over his forearm. He's grown a bit since tha last time he wore it so unfortunately the Morphsuit logo was visible this go round. Doubt anyone noticed.

Here's the highlight reel of them walking about the Con! (They need to work on their acting skills.) :P

https://youtu.be/pJnRE7IZNKk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:09 pm 
reload

Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
Great work!
Hope you all had a great time at the Con.

GERCM - Executive Officer (XO)
UKCM Foreign Legion: The Deviant Dragoons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:47 pm 

We did! Thanks, 577!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 143 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6