The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Disney buys Fox...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:16 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Will this yield new (better) Alien films?

If only there was a precedent for Disney buying a venerable sci fi property after a run of lousy prequels and revitalising it into a series of blockbusters...

Paging Neil Blomkamp!

Post subject: Re: Disney buys Fox...
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:11 pm 

I'm somewhat optimistic on this. Disney paid a sizeable chunk of change for Fox's IP, which as far as I know includes the Alien/s franchise. (Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong about that.)

From what I've seen online, Fox wasn't too ecstatic over the box-office performance of Covenant and Prometheus, and given that Disney just bought that franchise's IP, they'll want to (a) make money off if it, and (b) probably not do it the way Fox has been doing it, i.e. with prequels.

Given that (c) Blomkemp's idea for a direct-sequel to Aliens was well-received by notable stakeholders James Cameron and Sigourney Weaver, I'm placing a small bet on "Aliens 2" by 2022. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:10 pm 
The Hugger of Destruction TechnoSasquatch

Service Number: A06/TQ1.0.22140E1
So when does the Mickey & Friends ALIEN(S) parody start??

So does this make WO RIPLEY a Princess now?

Pvt.
STEAD,J "TECKNO VIKING"
A06/TQ1.0.22140E1

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:08 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Disney knows how to run IP and make money off of it. I can pretty much say that there are tons of groups messaging Disney with ideas for new developments for the franchise.

I would also venture a guess they WILL probably do some cross over films/shows.

If anyone has talked to the Marvel/DC actors or set workers, the studios always have a next project.

Factor in that once the marvel films all conclude, we could see some more Aliens films, possibly without Scott Ridley. I would also venture a guess that there are waaaay more fans down there of the franchise than we even know of.

Given Disney's past behavior with Star Wars as an example, I would dare say we are only going to see a new beginning, regarding the aliens/predator franchise.

Though they could end up selling the IP to Universal or MGM as those folks tend to deal more with the R rated franchises...

Just look at this group and how popular we are world wide...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:01 am 
Officers - Making simple s**t hard since 1775

Service Number: A07/TQ1.0.52135E1
Personally, I'm not very happy about the fact that me and my fellow Alien (and indeed Predator) costumers are now Disney characters!!!!! :evil:

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:19 am 

SimonT wrote:
Personally, I'm not very happy about the fact that me and my fellow Alien (and indeed Predator) costumers are now Disney characters!!!!! :evil:

I could see the parody film now. All the disney cartoon characters become people with burst chests...

Maybe we could have some fun with some disney costumes when we go to disney world.... ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:17 am 

I agree with the optimism here.

Disney moving in made me feel more hopeful for the franchise as I'm pretty indifferent about Ridley Scott's prequels.

Here's hoping ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:02 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

I'm hearing some folks saying the prequel trilogy must be completed before moving forward. Bullshit. Ridley Scott ran the franchise into the ground, why should he be allowed to further wreck it? I have zero interest in seeing another entry in the "David invented the Alien" storyline. Let Alan Dean Foster write a novel to wrap that mess up in a bow and let a talented writer and director have a crack at it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:51 pm 

Agree, retro. I'm not a fan with David created the Aliens concept. Beyond that the movies are alright. If I stand back and try to objectively view the story, I'm just like, "Man, David is a dick and humans are dumb." :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:27 am 
Prop Churner Outer

I like parts of both, but they are just too disrespectful of Alien. The tech, the premise, the crappy retcons. Compare it to how Rogue One treated Star Wars, or how Alien Isolation treated Alien. Ridley just couldn't be bothered.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:03 pm 

retrogarde wrote:
I like parts of both, but they are just too disrespectful of Alien. The tech, the premise, the crappy retcons. Compare it to how Rogue One treated Star Wars, or how Alien Isolation treated Alien. Ridley just couldn't be bothered.

Couldn`t agree more. Sadly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:15 pm 
Mercenary

I love both movies, Prometheus and Covenant.., and I want to know how it continues...!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:25 am 

Corp Hicks wrote:
I love both movies, Prometheus and Covenant.., and I want to know how it continues...!

Rumor is Covenant sequel was cancelled...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:03 pm 

Well that would stink for anyone that wants to see it through. Even if I didn't like it, I'd still see how they ended it.

I liked it better thinking the Engineers discovered the xenos, or accidentally engineered them and were victimized.
David creating them was not my cup of tea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:27 pm 

I don't think the cancellation thing has ever been officially confirmed.
Personally, I would like to see them finish the trilogy...then move on to other timeframes / stories that may or may not include the USCM. I don't know if I'm worried about Ripley making a return or not, can take it or leave it, and I don't really understand the thinking on some forums that Blomkamp will be a savior for the franchise. It's likely a good thing that by opening up the franchise to Disney a new wealth of designers - and funding - may become available, but of course that is my speculation.

I really hope they don't attempt to water it down to PG-13's whatever they choose, and the whole story arc between Prometheus, Covenant and a potential third, rests entirely on on that third movie, as it's approach could directly impact what we now think of those first two movies.

I'm more keen on David 'recreating' the Xeno's rather than creating them.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:51 pm 

Space Jockey wrote:
I don't think the cancellation thing has ever been officially confirmed.
Personally, I would like to see them finish the trilogy...then move on to other timeframes / stories that may or may not include the USCM. I don't know if I'm worried about Ripley making a return or not, can take it or leave it, and I don't really understand the thinking on some forums that Blomkamp will be a savior for the franchise. It's likely a good thing that by opening up the franchise to Disney a new wealth of designers - and funding - may become available, but of course that is my speculation.

I really hope they don't attempt to water it down to PG-13's whatever they choose, and the whole story arc between Prometheus, Covenant and a potential third, rests entirely on on that third movie, as it's approach could directly impact what we now think of those first two movies.

I'm more keen on David 'recreating' the Xeno's rather than creating them.

Honestly with the wrap up of the Marvel/DC films Aliens would be another good safe bet for the next movies to make.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:00 am 

Sir Ridley does want to do more Alien prequels - "I would like to; they’re crazy if they don’t."

But without so much the aliens, it seems... :shock: "...I think the next step as to where we go is, do we sustain the Alien (series) with the evolution of the beast or do we reinvent something else? I think you need to have an evolution on this famous beast because he’s the best monster ever, really."

Quotes from: http://torontosun.com/entertainment/mov ... ey-scandal

But it looks like whatever happens next, it won't (sadly) involve Neill Blomkemp:

"Yes. I have moved on. What I meant was that I wish there was a way for fans to see some of what we had designed. It was an amazing chance to work in the world Ridley and James Cameron created. And collaborate with Sigourney." - https://t.co/zgztIBj7LQ

Well, that's enough bad news for the night. I'm going to go watch Aliens again. And again. And again... :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:23 am 

Blivet wrote:
Sir Ridley does want to do more Alien prequels - "I would like to; they’re crazy if they don’t."

But without so much the aliens, it seems... :shock: "...I think the next step as to where we go is, do we sustain the Alien (series) with the evolution of the beast or do we reinvent something else? I think you need to have an evolution on this famous beast because he’s the best monster ever, really."

Quotes from: http://torontosun.com/entertainment/mov ... ey-scandal

But it looks like whatever happens next, it won't (sadly) involve Neill Blomkemp:

"Yes. I have moved on. What I meant was that I wish there was a way for fans to see some of what we had designed. It was an amazing chance to work in the world Ridley and James Cameron created. And collaborate with Sigourney." - https://t.co/zgztIBj7LQ

Well, that's enough bad news for the night. I'm going to go watch Aliens again. And again. And again... :)

Atlanta, Knoxville, and Nashville have loads of movie and studio production companies. Maybe we nee to do some fan films to stir up interest in another movie?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:30 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

If Lucas had sold Star Wars to Disney after Episode 2 and they had scrapped the prequels and jumped straight to 7 I wouldn't have shed a bloody tear. Watching a once beloved Director destroy the origin story of his greatest antagonist is heartbreaking.

Ridley has made it clear he has little interest in linking back up to Alien in a meaningful way, so what is the point except to complete it for completion's sake?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:51 am 

I want more Aliens but I want it done right. Star Wars Episodes 7 and 8 were not done right IMO. Ep 7 was completely unimaginative and was a waste of a Star Wars movie. Ep 8 was downright atrocious. Both seem to resonate strongly with people who weren't really Star Wars fans and aren't liked as much by people that were, or at least that's my perception. Disney doesn't care if they ruin the IP as long as they're making billions. I haven't actually seen Rogue One but I hear it's actually good/decent.

Doesn't really matter though. Ridley Scott has been doing a good job of making his own mediocre bad Alien movies (George Lucas Syndrome), so who can you even trust to make a good Alien/Aliens movie these days. I don't even think James Cameron would make a good one. He's gone too far off the deepend.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:59 pm 

I'm a TK in the 501st and love Ep. 7 and 8. It's definitely got a lot of backlash. But the point may be is that all of this is pretty subjective.

All you can do is hope for the best.

Or ... make it yourself.

With any movie related to something that I adore, or have loved for a long time, I go in super cynical and with no expectation. Just the hope that it's not offensively bad. But again, that's all based on my perspective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:57 am 
Prop Churner Outer

I really liked the Last Jedi too. Not as much as Rogue One though, that's my favorite of the whole saga!

I will continue to watch Alien movies as they come out regardless, but I hope somehow the next one will be more inspired.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:31 am 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Red_2 wrote:
... Beyond that the movies are alright. If I stand back and try to objectively view the story, I'm just like, "Man, David is a dick and humans are dumb." :P

This is perhaps the best (and most accurate in my opinion) review I have seen yet! Nailed it!

As for all this hubbub and disney...meh. I don't think they can do any worse. Ending it cold turkey is far from ideal, but do we need another of Ridley's self aggrandizing adventures? I kind of imagine him as 'buffalo bob' at this point with the aliens franchise in the hole. He is just dancing around nude talking about how much he 'appreciates' himself.

I hope the new boss figures it out.

As for the SW flicks, they entertained well enough. I have no quarrels with those guys.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:37 pm 

bigbisont wrote:
Red_2 wrote:
... Beyond that the movies are alright. If I stand back and try to objectively view the story, I'm just like, "Man, David is a dick and humans are dumb." :P

This is perhaps the best (and most accurate in my opinion) review I have seen yet! Nailed it!

As for all this hubbub and disney...meh. I don't think they can do any worse. Ending it cold turkey is far from ideal, but do we need another of Ridley's self aggrandizing adventures? I kind of imagine him as 'buffalo bob' at this point with the aliens franchise in the hole. He is just dancing around nude talking about how much he 'appreciates' himself.

I hope the new boss figures it out.

As for the SW flicks, they entertained well enough. I have no quarrels with those guys.

Indeed. There are plenty of comic and novelizations from which they can draw inspirations. Some of them are rather good...

For example the berserkers. An updated version of assault on Navarone?