The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Help Needed: Colony Wall Panels Reference Photos & Measureme
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:32 am 

Hi All,

I've tried looking everywhere for good reference pictures And measurements of the vac formed wall panels that were made for the corridors of Hadleys Hope.

Can anyone on here please help?

Thank you.

All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the Corps! A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the Corps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:17 am 

http://alienscollection.com/wallpanel2.jpg

http://alienscollection.com/wallpanel3.jpg

http://alienscollection.com/wallpanel4.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:24 pm 

Thank you Willie!

All right, sweethearts, what are you waiting for? Breakfast in bed? Another glorious day in the Corps! A day in the Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I LOVE the Corps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:40 pm 

Weird,

When I blew the top view photo up full scale by way of projector to 49.25 " across, I would have thought that it would have then subsequently measured 34.25 " down (per the measurements given)- but it ended up being nearly 1.5 inches more?!?!

Am I missing something?

Was an accurate 3D file ever created by anyone on here?

Post subject: Re: Help Needed: Colony Wall Panels Reference Photos & Measu
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:21 pm 

I just did a quick check of the proportions in Corel Draw and it fits quite well.

Keep in mind that
a) the Photo already has some amount of perspective distortion
b) projectors aren't made for the kind of scaling you are doing (unless well calibrated like the ones for flight simulators). Just output a circle and measure the diameter - I would be surprised if it's the same in horizontal and vertical direction.

Cheers,
Stefan

PS: Nice pictures - thanks a lot, Willie!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:50 pm 

Thanks Stefan,

Yeah looks like you're absolutely right about the projection, dang! :-/

I should have known not to try and have a good idea :-D

Wonder if there's any other way to get the internal segment panel dimensions accurately....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:59 pm 

Actually, the shape is not too complex to do.
If you don't have a drawing program, you can simply print the picture.
Then you measure the horizonal line that says 49.25" in your printout. Let's say it's 4.32". So your scaling factor for all horizontal lines is 49.25"/4.32" = 11.40.
So multiply each horizontal distance you measure in your printout by 11.40 and you should have the real horizontal dimension.

For the vertical dimensions you will be doing the same procedure, just with the vertical lines. You might end up with a slightly differend factor for the vertical dimensions.

Cheers,
Stefan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:17 am 

Bug Stomper wrote:

So multiply each horizontal distance you measure in your printout by 11.40 and you should have the real horizontal dimension.

For the vertical dimensions you will be doing the same procedure, just with the vertical lines. You might end up with a slightly differend factor for the vertical dimensions.

Cheers,
Stefan

So the end results/calculations will be what the correct dimensions are in 1:1 scale?