The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: The Archives and sharing of information
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:34 am 

Looking great! Dont forget through there is a 7th grill that sandwiches the lamp cone in place.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:31 pm 

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.92142G1
nick-a-tron wrote:
Looking great! Dont forget through there is a 7th grill that sandwiches the lamp cone in place.

Thanks for the info! I didn't know there was one. Do you have any pics of the part you mean. I can't really find any really good screen used props to look at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:26 am 

Sure! Here's a close up of a screen used lamp head. A seventh grill from a reflecta stack was used to secure the cone in place.

Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 22.13.22.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 22.13.22.png [ 693.98 KiB | Viewed 4342 times ]

Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 22.13.35.png
Screen Shot 2017-10-02 at 22.13.35.png [ 361.35 KiB | Viewed 4342 times ]

Post subject: Re: Real part marine shoulder lamp build (wip)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:43 am 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
I never really thought about this prop so in-depth before, but these are great images. Forgive the potentially silly question. Where did the 7th grill come from? The actual 'found item' only had the 6 'small ones' and the large ones look too large to have been used.

In that image it looks to have more advanced rust than the basic 6 and the corners look sharper. This indicates it was from another source and not one of the original powder coated pieces? Possibly cut to order for this purpose? Or do I just have an over-active imagination?

Also the very most outer stack (the 8th with the ridges/borders) is not found on a real Reflecta 3002, correct? That may have been custom fabbed as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:07 am 

Thanks Nick. Ive never seen these pics before. Ill have to back track a little it would seem.
It looks to me as the main front plate and the 7th plate are added extras probably made from mild steel. I will fab something up at work next week and be back with some pics shortly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:13 pm 

Ok so it turns out i didnt need to go to work and fabricate anything after all. Ive found the 7th fin! :D . The part wasn't hard to spot once i began to look at all the left over parts from the reflecta lamp.

Attachment:
20171104_112352.jpg
20171104_112352.jpg [ 844.78 KiB | Viewed 4297 times ]

Can you spot it? :shock: . So i whipped out my handy angle grinder and began hacking!

Attachment:
20171104_125047.jpg
20171104_125047.jpg [ 876.11 KiB | Viewed 4297 times ]

Taaa daaa! The elusive 7th fin :lol:

That got me thinking then about the pictures of the screen used lamp nick supplied and what looks like ribbed supports in each corner. Im pretty sure ive found those parts too. Sandwiched inbetween the fins on the leftover bigger lamp head are little spacers slid over smaller copper or brass pipe.

Attachment:
20171104_135225.jpg
20171104_135225.jpg [ 783.91 KiB | Viewed 4297 times ]

Four stacked on top of each other with a cut down bit of copper pipe looks about right. Much better than the pipe i was using before anyhow.

Last edited by stimpy on Sat Nov 04, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:43 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
OK that is amazing!

I'm gonna go ahead and be the first to recommend this thread moves to the Archives in the future!

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:38 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
I think the origin of the 7th fin/vent has been known for quite some time now (sorry stimpy) but I can move this thread to the Archives if you like.

I guess stimpy has to make the decision as to when though as replies are disabled when a topic is moved to the Archives section.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:54 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Even so, we have some great photos from stimpy that document the process quite clearly :delta:

Thanks for heeding the call, Harry! and big thanks to everyone who have contributed to this, especially stimpy!

I hope this stays open a bit longer so we can see it through to the glorious conclusion!

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:57 pm 

Yeah i would have thought people would have known about the 7th vent. If i could see it then im sure others could. I couldn't find any info about it though and found it all by myself (pats ones self on the back).

Last edited by stimpy on Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:52 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Harry Harris wrote:
I think the origin of the 7th fin/vent has been known for quite some time now (sorry stimpy)
Harry

I'm sorry Harry, but this pretty much sums up the current crisis with our group. *Who* knew this for quite some time, and *where* was this information shared so that new members could easily access it? We have some amazing knowledge accumulated and no clear way to share it.

I wonder if this website should have a subsection dedicated to build threads that show all the images of the original props and costumes we have. The archives section we currently have is full of missing images, broken links and a lot of outdated information. If we want this group to attract new blood we need to put our best foot forward.

Great work on this by the way Stimpy, you're making an awesome set of armour!

Post subject: Re: Real part marine shoulder lamp build (wip updated 4th No
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:26 pm 

What a great project :-)
I had no idea about the 7th fin either...I have two small reflecta lamps and two large (which came with the smaller ones thrown in) but they are tucked away ready for me to work on them. These pics are great help.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:30 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

retrogarde wrote:
Harry Harris wrote:
I think the origin of the 7th fin/vent has been known for quite some time now (sorry stimpy)
Harry

I'm sorry Harry, but this pretty much sums up the current crisis with our group. *Who* knew this for quite some time, and *where* was this information shared so that new members could easily access it? We have some amazing knowledge accumulated and no clear way to share it.

I wonder if this website should have a subsection dedicated to build threads that show all the images of the original props and costumes we have. The archives section we currently have is full of missing images, broken links and a lot of outdated information. If we want this group to attract new blood we need to put our best foot forward.

Great work on this by the way Stimpy, you're making an awesome set of armour!

Agreed on all points, Christian.

I wanted to also ask if it is possible for the forum to up the file sizes and number of attachments to posts to encourage members to use the forum uploading instead of 3rd party hosting. I know the reason I sometimes use 3rd party hosting because I'm not limited by file size or number of attachments. If there is a certain cost factor involved, I am positive some of us regulars could chip in, and gladly so.

Sorry for the derailment, stimpy, but this kind of awesome thread is a prime example to use

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:57 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
As stimpy's original thread was getting somewhat derailed, this is a copied and edited version of the break-off discussion regarding information sharing. I can't work out how to post this at the top though, apologies for that.

retrogarde wrote:
Harry Harris wrote:
Harry

I wonder if this website should have a subsection dedicated to build threads that show all the images of the original props and costumes we have. The archives section we currently have is full of missing images, broken links and a lot of outdated information. If we want this group to attract new blood we need to put our best foot forward

I wasn't aware that there was a 'crisis' as such, although since the huge changes at Photobucket I think we're all aware of how that's affected this and many other forums and websites. The Aliens Legacy has a facility where members can upload their images to the board directly, but while we'd strongly encourage members to use it, we can't force anyone.

The Aliens Legacy has always had a very strong community feel and many members are what I'd call experts in their field; Moosh for her research for example, folks such as Schotti for their armour making skills and so on. I'd encourage discussion and to ask questions if you can't find answers. There's so much information out there that it would be an impossible task to list all of it, but those that try do what they can to do as much as they can. Some information many of us know, but again it's impossible (and a little arrogant don't you think?) to assume that everyone else knows - but if you ask, there's always help here and members should be able to post helpful information without fear of criticism.

While in theory it's a great idea, I'd worry that adding another subsection runs the risk of the board becoming 'fractured' by having too many different sections to it. Build threads are often ongoing for long periods of time too so to lock them off for archival purposes may be counter-productive. I've put this to the moderator team though and hopefully we'll discuss it soon.

Harry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:10 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
I think the 'crises' Christian was referring to is not so much of a lack of info from experts, but more in terms of our desire to be more inviting to new members. Making key information easily available is a big part of that. While simple conversation will reveal a lot, I agree with Christian and Moosh that our archive system could be better. Just look at Nick-a-tron's latest post in the original thread sparking this conversation!

nick-a-tron wrote:
Oh man, I feel so stupid now. Really hope I didn't throw away my left over reflecta parts. I need that 7th grill!

He is the guy that pointed out there should be a 7th grill!!! He provided the reference material!!! If he wasn't aware, what hope do any of the rest of us have?! :wink:

Maybe we don't need a new section on the forum, but I absolutely think our archives could be cleaned up. I hate to say it, but I am going to ballpark that 80%+ of it is unusable. Missing pictures aside, many of the archived posts simply don't contain the most current/accurate info.

3 random examples:
-The FAQ has a thread "where to get a pulse rifle sling" that has NO MENTION of Noble.
-There is a thread in the miscellaneous section where outcry asks about who makes a smartgun headset kit and someone else chimes in "yeah i'd like to know too" and thats it! No answers, nothing current and I'm not sure why it was archived.
-In the weapons section is a thread about Hudson's knife labeled GERBER Mk2. I myself contributed heavily in that thread pinpointing which serial# the knife had to be and laying out ALL the available sheaths to ID the correct one. The problem is, it was ALL WRONG!! The knife was never even a 'real' gerber. All the work and info about Gerbers in the thread were pointless and the thread exists to perpetuate wrong info.

These are not isolated examples that I had to dig to find. These and dozens exactly like these are right on the main pages of their sections.
Of course there are also tons that have good info, but are ruined by lack of pics that were long ago lost for all eternity (even prior to the photobucket fiasco).

Cleaning up the archives would be a huge help.
I know that is a time consuming and tedious task, but I for one am willing to chip away at it if granted access. I think we have some long overdue housecleaning/updating to do in that section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:40 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

I'm a details nut, so I would be up for helping out with Terran/bigbisont as well. Admittedly, I may not know everything (yet ;) ) but I can help out with photos and organization. I visit the forum daily, and I usually have the time.