The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Predator: If It Bleeds
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:36 pm 

Don't remember seeing a post on this, so figured I'd do one since it is at least tangentially related.

About halfway through it, and so far I have to say I am enjoying it much more than Aliens: Bug Hunt, which is ironic as I am definitely more of an Alien fan than Predator. Perhaps the fact that for the most part, the characters are not from the movies helps. I didn't feel that any of the Bug Hunt stories featuring movie characters really captured their characters very well. I might be jumping the gun though as I know there is a story in this anthology featuring Harrigan and Garber from Predator 2. Will have to see how that is handled...

Anyway, for my two cents, which I'm sure is worth far less than that, I am finding this a very enjoyable read, and hope for a second volume as hinted at on the Alien Predator Galaxy podcast interview with this book's editor.

Post subject: Re: Predator: If It Bleeds
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:16 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Look up the omnibus volumes. There are novelization omnibus and comic omnibus editions/volumes available.

Also they are releasing new predator comics now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:40 pm 

Already have all the comic omnibuses..omnibi? For all three series, Aliens, Predator, and AvP , even from back when it was still Hicks and Newt and not Wilkes and Billie, or whatever they retconned it to.. as well as most of the novels. As with anything, some good, some bad. A few great standouts. I like a lot of the earlier stuff...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:10 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Predator novels aren't a bad idea, but all that Yautja crap was a huge turnoff to me.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:12 pm 

retrogarde wrote:
Predator novels aren't a bad idea, but all that Yautja crap was a huge turnoff to me.

Which part of it was human waste, the serialzation of comics and novelization of story lines, or the fact that they merchandized everything to death?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:54 am 

retrogarde wrote:

I can't say I was a big fan of the Yautja stuff either but I absolutely loved If It Bleeds. Really really loved it. Such a breath of fresh air. It wasn't just Predator repeated ad nauseum in different timezones but plenty of different twists on Predator.

I wasn't a big fan of Bug Hunt either. Probably 4 or 5 stories in that I really enjoyed, the rest were all ok with me really disliking the Hicks story.

Post subject: Re: Predator: If It Bleeds
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:31 am 

Honestly, if the books get our kids to read, does it matter how good or bad something is?

As violent as predator is, comics and books about him are far less vulgar and violent than most things on TV.

Having hosted over 30 different foster children one thing I have found universally effective:
Comic books are a great distraction
They also improve reading ability
They are cheap enough to be a minuscule reward for good compliant behavior
The same applies to novels.

As much as some of us detest the horrid story lines, if they entertain our youth, they are fine in my book. The youth are the next generation and we need to get them into the genre where possible.