The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: 2017 Dragoncon Fan Table discussion
PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:17 pm 
Expendable

Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.52155E1
Last year i feel we had a very successful table and would like to build off that success. Post any ideas on how we could make the table better this year. I feel the handouts we had last year were a great addition.

As far as signing up for table work hours, Dragoncon has not yet posted the 2017 application yet, so as soon as the hours and days are known, i will make a separate thread for that.

Ultimately, with Covenant coming out this year, it would be a great opportunity for us to gain publicity and membership for those wishing to costume in the alien universe.

Post subject: Re: 2017 Dragoncon Fan Table discussion
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:06 pm 
reload

Service Number: A03/TQ3.0.12136E1
Started working on the GERCM table items for the upcoming Cons in Germany.
Are the handouts etc. available for reprint.

BTW: We also had very good response to the costume guide.

Would be interested in sharing ideas what we can do for 2017.

GERCM - Executive Officer (XO)
UKCM Foreign Legion: The Deviant Dragoons

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:49 pm 
Chernobyl

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.42157E1
We had a copy of the costume guide at the DC table last year as well, had a pretty good reaction to it.
I agree with hunterkiller, last year went well, I think - would like to see some additions to make it even better.

A05/TQ1.0.42157E1 SGM Gilbert, M "Chernobyl" - U.S.S. Blackhawk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:32 am 
BUG SPRAY

Service Number: A12/TQ1.0.72141E2
I can bring my CN-20 Nerve Gas canister for display. It is made from a sonobouy tube as referenced in the old card game.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:35 am 
'Nuff said.

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
I did not get the guy's card who was over the tables, maybe Amy or Paul have it, but he seemed really willing to help. All we need to do is reach out to him. I am going to focus on the parade but will help out however I can. Still plan on having some stuff for the table.

Thanks!

Greg

UKCM
Shoot first, think never.
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:10 am 
Nocturnus Requiem

Service Number: WYI/TQ1.0.04837E5
I can lend a colony light to the table

U.S.S. Nemesis
Weyland Yutani Inmate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:38 am 

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.42136E1
Perhaps some recruitment posters?

"Even a man that has nothing, can still give his life."

DHS
NYANG, MAJ Ret.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:51 pm 
Duke Bronson

The fan table has brought quite possibly fewer than 3 recruits yearly on average since we've been kicked out of the Marriott. I am completely for the elimination of the fan table. Its return is not worth the investment.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:55 pm 

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.02151G1
Quote:
Also, I spoke to the guy who runs the fan tables, and he had a suggestion, do something that makes us stand out. For example, the 501st has a photo booth. Show him we are more than just a random fan group, with something to offer and he can argue the case about moving the table.

I'm on board with this, we need something that sticks out. At Momocon, my shop got hit up all the time because we had cool stuff that made us really stand out, and we have some of that with the back frame we had once upon a time. We could do something like that and add some ammo boxes or stuff of that nature to the front of the table. We don't need a pile of stuff, just a few things to accent what we're doing, here and there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:03 pm 
'Nuff said.

SGM Baldwin wrote:
The fan table has brought quite possibly fewer than 3 recruits yearly on average since we've been kicked out of the Marriott. I am completely for the elimination of the fan table. Its return is not worth the investment.

I totally disagree. Yes the location might suck but there is no way we should even consider abandoning the table. Like Paul stated we need something display wise to set us apart. Suggestions have been made in the past of a green screen to digitally inset pictures but that has yet to come to be. To give it up would be a bad move in my opinion.

Thanks!

Greg

UKCM
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:48 pm 
USCM Ambassador

Service Number: AO2/TQ1.0.1233E1
I'm in favor of keeping the fan table as well. The photo op screen brings an interesting possibility. The 501st has one,
Sci-Fi Hero.net had the Stargate. Perhaps a Colonial Marines Recruitment background? Something from the film? Something we still yet need to create?

Remember when Tony Leach brought the Colonist background he'd built? It got a lot of attention. In retrospect, it might have been too large and bulky for one guy to bring up and down the elevators, the stairs, the streets, etc.

But you get the point.

We need to stand out - How to do so?

The 501st stand around and look good - Even a Wall of Fame, with "action pics" of past Sweeps, our "photoshoot at the Sun Trust Center" had many cool pics, without a bunch of people in the shot.

Lots of ideas to be built upon...

USCM- The Colonial Marines- A Brotherhood of Bad Asses!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:11 pm 
Duke Bronson

OK, I'm going to start this with a disclaimer, because I'm famously known for being misunderstood. I'm writing this because I CARE. I want SUCCESS for our group, NOT FAILURE.

The 501st is successful with a photo booth because it is manned constantly by guys in costume constantly and en masse. When I suggest that the table should be manned by people in costume, I get poopooed and told that I'm being dictatorial. "Oh, I just want to be there in my Aliens t-shirt." is what I get. If we want people coming to our table, if we want attention, if we want a photo booth, we need people there, the whole day, in costume, like it was at the Marriott. Or else it will, in my opinion, continue being a waste of time like it is now. If you want 501st level attention, you need 501st level commitment. Even the Royal Manticore Navy guys next to us are in full uniform the entire time of their table duty... and they have less recognition than us.

In the interim, I'll continue volunteering three hours of my time there, in costume, but I still think that the way it is now, it's a complete waste of time. As usual, we struggle to find people to volunteer, hardly any of the new people step up, and the old guard does it out of sense of devotion.

I propose: Going forward, we need to set a standard, and I would say, a contract. If you want to participate in the parade, you will need to commit a minimum one hour to the fan table. Everyone likes to be in the parade, and the benefits that it brings, but hardly anybody likes to promote the table. Well, now's the time to become accountable to our fandom and your duty to it. Want to be in the parade? You need to sign up for at least one hour at the table.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:57 pm 
Expendable

Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.52155E1
SGM Baldwin wrote:
I propose: Going forward, we need to set a standard, and I would say, a contract. If you want to participate in the parade, you will need to commit a minimum one hour to the fan table. Everyone likes to be in the parade, and the benefits that it brings, but hardly anybody likes to promote the table. Well, now's the time to become accountable to our fandom and your duty to it. Want to be in the parade? You need to sign up for at least one hour at the table.

i like that idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:42 pm 

Service Number: A12/TQ0.0.52149E1
I'd say good luck with that the sign up is already lower than previous years and is there anything stopping people signing up independently and marching with the group?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:07 pm 
'Nuff said.

SGM Baldwin wrote:

In my opinion this would not work at all. It would just must make members mad and lead to them not doing either.

Thanks!

Greg

UKCM
SMMFD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:19 am 

Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.82152F1
I don't think this is a great idea. We have so many people signed up already, and a good amount of people hangout there even if they don't have to be. And if you make and ultimatum you might lose more people then gain them. And will make our part of the parade really small.
That's my two cents, don't kill me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:44 am 
BUG SPRAY

If it weren't for the table i would have never been recruited. I would hope most everyone else is holding out for signup until the Dragon Con schedule is released. Last year there was an opening that was empty last minute and a whole platoon showed up to cover it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:20 pm 
USCM Ambassador

I don't think it's a good idea either bro. Parade sign-up is the lowest it's been in years. Where we used to be pushing 60+ parade participants, now we're just barely approaching 20+.

Hard to tell the reason behind this - Is DragonCon just getting too damn expensive and people not attending? Are people not wanting to march in the Parade?? Are they even more lazier than ever to sign up ahead of time? At this point, we could easily give back 30 Parade Ribbons to the Parade Organizer, so others could actually use them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:54 am 
Chernobyl

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.42157E1
I don't think its a good idea as well, the table gives people in the group to hang out, stash stuff, and talk. If it weren't for the table, I would not of been recruited myself. I highly recommend we keep it.
It is a shame to hear about the parade though, I remember seeing videos of this group with so many people marching in it. Though I did enjoy my first parade march last year myself.

A05/TQ1.0.42157E1 SGM Gilbert, M "Chernobyl" - U.S.S. Blackhawk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:55 am 
Wild Brew

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.72140G1
I'm marching with a different group this year to be with my wife, but plan on being back with the Colonial Marines in 2018. I agree with what Dom said above, I had more people stop and say hi, and ask questions about our group if I was more active... that is trying to be in front of the table (with SG rig or armor) and talking to people. Having free face hugs with my facehugger, etc. Or offering them a chance to handle the gear (like my flamer or pulse rifle or pistol) and have pictures taken with them, ect. At least I had lots of our group cards handed out that way.

Think we could eventually make up some components from the movie? Like a dropship cockpit they could sit in... or APC rack to get strapped into? Our 501st group out here has things like cantina seats with Greedo, or a small trash compactor to pose in at conventions. I was thinking of things like that only Aliens verse sets.

"If you are going to die, die with a real weapon. Not a little sissy gun like that. "

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:41 pm 

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.02151G1
Quote:
Think we could eventually make up some components from the movie? Like a dropship cockpit they could sit in... or APC rack to get strapped into? Our 501st group out here has things like cantina seats with Greedo, or a small trash compactor to pose in at conventions. I was thinking of things like that only Aliens verse sets.

I really like this idea, but there's a lot of questions to ask there:
1. Who's putting the cash up for materials?
2. Who's gonna make it?
3. Who's gonna keep it and cart it around to events?
4. Who can even go to all the different events?
5. Who's responsible for maintenance, breakage, etc?
6. What do we want to do?

I personally think some sort of photobooth would be a great idea, maybe a corridor or something with a Xeno breaking through the wall, but that's just one idea. Truth is, if we put our heads together, we can think of something awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:09 am 
BUG SPRAY

The Aliens display at the Dublin Comic-con was remarkable. I think a photo booth type of thing where people put their face in a hole over looking an egg with a face hugger jumping out would be a great start and the crowds would love it.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:46 pm 
Miscreant and Foukérre

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.32151E1
Obiwan kowalski wrote:
The Aliens display at the Dublin Comic-con was remarkable. I think a photo booth type of thing where people put their face in a hole over looking an egg with a face hugger jumping out would be a great start and the crowds would love it.

I built a hive set for Collectormania Glasgow a few years ago, goes down well any time we have it there - Two large panels as a backdrop, and originally we had a smaller panel with a hole in it for the head, with a fake chest & chestburster to go under the punter's chin :)

Right now, it's in my friend's gaming café, because something that size is pretty damn hard to store! The panels are 2m x 1m, and maybe 10 - 30cm thick, with tubing, wiring, fans, lights etc on them.
Even though I put it together from found parts, the cost was still probably close to £100 all in after paint, glue etc.
Then there's transport...

It's a great idea, but it's something that is considerably more hassle than just showing up in costume!

Props, cosplay pieces, upcycled ornamentation, and miscellanea;
For the discerning survivor of the apocalypse.
Steve Fletcher : Maker, Scavenger, and Junksmith.
linktr.ee/wastelandworkshop

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:31 pm 
'Nuff said.

Adept705 makes some very good points. We do not have any funds. In the past members have donated their own time and money into this. Again that is just one part of it.
Adept705 wrote:
I really like this idea, but there's a lot of questions to ask there:
1. Who's putting the cash up for materials?
2. Who's gonna make it?
3. Who's gonna keep it and cart it around to events?
4. Who can even go to all the different events?
5. Who's responsible for maintenance, breakage, etc?
6. What do we want to do?

I personally think some sort of photobooth would be a great idea, maybe a corridor or something with a Xeno breaking through the wall, but that's just one idea. Truth is, if we put our heads together, we can think of something awesome.

I have no doubt we can come up with a killer display. I have already discussed some ideas with Paul that I want to do for Knoxville but do not have the time or money to get it done before DragonCon. We really need to answer the first 5 questions before we decide what we want to do. I know in the past just where to store it was a huge hurdle.

Thanks!

Greg

UKCM
SMMFD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:25 pm 
USCM Ambassador

Here's another thought on the potential display. Should we decide to do this (I think it's a fantastic idea!) as has been brought up, Who is going to store it? Probably a local...would be best -

But another point - HELP IN MOVING IT!

A few years ago, Tony Leach made a backdrop display of a trapped colonist. IT was pretty cool and well received. However, it was bulky and awkward to transport - in the elevator, down the hall, in the lobby, on the sidewalk to eventually reach it's fan table destination.

The thing is, Tony had no help with moving it, did it solo. It was frustrating to say the least.

And he asked a Colonial Marine for help moving it (who shall remain nameless) and instead of help,
got a loud, incredulous reply of: "WHAT?! I'M ON HOLIDAY / VACATION"

And that was the final straw for Tony. After years of helping the Colonial Marines, website work, hours and hours at the fan table, In the old days, to get a Fan Table, one had to show up at 7am to claim your spot or it was gone! I remember going there with Tony, I remember him going ahead and holding tables for our dinner at the Hard Rock and waiting and waiting and waiting for everyone to arrive... He'd had enough. He walked away from the Corps. Golden Wings Award Recipient and walked away because he was fed up with no help.

Too often, all too often, there is but a few who "arrange" DragonCon for the many. It gets frustrating to have demands thrust upon one, yet those who demand, often will not help.

We're all on vacation. None get a paycheck for doing this for everyone's enjoyment.

This has been an ongoing topic for years. Is it possible to get more to contribute to the Colonial Marines, whether it's physical help or anything.

If we can increase our "helping participation", there's really no limit to what we can accomplish. The 501st are successful because they always have people willing to share the load.

The Colonial Marines have the few doing the work for the many. Period.

Offer to Help. It'll be MUCH Appreciated.