The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Question regarding DragonCon and related events
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:56 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Is that the main event you all attend?

Is there any process or steps to get something similar arranged for big conventions in other areas?

You have a parade, a dinner, and some meet ups as far as I can tell.

If we can copy the itinary at other conventions we can give more opportunities for other members to attend a get together.

I am merely throwing this out there to see if this is a good or bad idea.

Post subject: Re: Question regarding DragonCon and related events
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:15 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Ive only been twice, so I am sure many of the more experienced members here will chime in. In my experience part of what makes DragonCon unique, and makes its formula very difficult to copy, is the accessibility to real entertainment nearly 24 hrs a day. In 2016 they had about 77,000 in attendance making it one of the larger events yet even with that size, it caters to the attendees. There are panels and celebs during the day plus organized parties and concerts all night long plus whatever the individual groups can schedule on top of those events. There is literally always something to.

Perhaps more than the event being fan friendly with entertainment provided, the city is fan friendly. For example local businesses are able/willing to accommodate fan groups of 30-40 members for group meals (although I think this year's marine dinner is capped at 30). The city itself is accommodating by enabling the legendary parade. The parade route is planned with the city and entire sections of downtown Atlanta are closed off to facilitate it.

Not trying to be a downer, but most other conventions are unlikely to have all that. They are either much smaller events with more rigid and limited schedules or don't have the infrastructure/willingness to bend over backwards to accommodate the extra activities once the traditional 'con' hours are over. Take SDCC, for example. They always draw 120,000+, but by all accounts the fans are hearded around like cattle. You can forget about a city accommodating a parade in most cases*. Either the draw is not big enough to fill a legit parade in a smaller city or the larger cities are unwilling to cater to one.

We (the forum) do try to do Aliens events whenever possible and all members are encouraged to post events/'cons' of interest in the appropriate "Drop thread" section sections of their respective local sub forums. Those sections may not appear very active, but that is mostly due to how spread out everyone is. Conventions can be a pretty expensive thing to fly in for, so dragoncon is appealing because visitors can actually spend a full week there and have plenty to do justifying it as a vacation spot. Most conventions are 1-3 days with very little going beyond traditional 'con hours', so they are highly unlikely to tempt the international and cross-country travelers. As such, most local convention draw only local crowds and that is why you don't hear about them as much. They do happen though. Please do post anything you find interesting.

*I heard a nasty rumor even DragonCon's parade may soon be on the chopping block. Too many resources required to keep everyone safe to continue as a 'free' service from the city, so even its future is up in the air.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:30 pm 

Well, during the convention I can try to rundown the organizers and see if we can arrange for some sort of fan march or walk on the next one if there is not one already scheduled

There are some eateries here in town that could accomodate large groups in the size you are referring to and they are all downtown.

Unfortunately I think the city day ends around 10-11PM to a greater extent. There are not a whole lot of places open 24/7. I can try to collect a list and see what I can come up with.

I am assuming the group as a whole likes to party all night long and with some of the longer far flung flights that is the only way to meet everyone...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:23 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
What event/location did you have in mind?

*EDIT* dumb question. I am guessing "Knoxville" isnt in your name for no reason. Google shows it is most likely the fanboy expo?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:50 pm 

Knoxville, and you are correct.

Fanboy Expo.

Just trying to bring more to the team as options.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:49 pm 

The 501st? storm troopers always have a table there. They are at all of the local cons. Not sure if we can work on getting an adjacent table or work on getting a panel session at least talking about costuming and props.

Now as far as parades go, we have market square and it is just down the road from the convention center with all sorts of eateries bordering it. World's fair park is next to the convention center, and the holiday inn express is where you would want to stay if you want to see the stars in the morning or evening dining. Otherwise the Hampton just up the road is good too and the rooms have hot tubs to soak the sore joints and feet.

There is also an october con so I can try to get some activities arranged by then.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Marke ... 83.9197893

Folks can chime in as to which eatery they are interested in as all the down town ones are awesome. Knoxville is home to some of the best food trucks in the region even going out of town. We are also getting some good local micro breweries. The center is also next to an area known as the strip that houses all the areas frequented by students of the university of Tennessee down on Kingston pike though that section is called cumberland avenue.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:45 pm 
Expendable

Service Number: A05/TQ0.0.52155E1
as of right now, TN does not have a battalion. The closest would be the Chicago battalion. There is talk of forming a south east battalion which would include AL, GA, FL, LA, and MS. It all depends on membership demand though. as always, i would defer to the charter and see who is in your area. you would would always be welcome to join in on the CHicago battalion fun. some of our members attend the cons in Louisville.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:54 am 

Mantroon wrote:
hunterkiller86 wrote:
as of right now, TN does not have a battalion. The closest would be the Chicago battalion. There is talk of forming a south east battalion which would include AL, GA, FL, LA, and MS. It all depends on membership demand though. as always, i would defer to the charter and see who is in your area. you would would always be welcome to join in on the CHicago battalion fun. some of our members attend the cons in Louisville.

Well, still working on the GA squad ("Peachtrees") We got a few so far

Andrew Jackson hailed as president from our state. I was always toying with either a fleet ship with that name.

Though our state is known as the Volunteer state so I am not quite sure how to factor that if you base it in here.

I have met one local who is waiting on a spat cave costume.

I can work on trying to arrange a cosplayers parade on the next event here and see how many marines show up.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:44 pm 

OK for planning here is:
https://www.visitknoxville.com/things-to-do/

http://www.knoxbrewtours.com
Knoxville is trying to catch up to Asheville in terms of brewing.

https://www.downtownknoxville.org/events/
Market square is basically the center of downtown and central spot where all manner of events occur every weekend.

I am trying to see what options we can have for a space.