The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Hick's Shotgun
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:03 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ1.0.92149E2
What would be a good stand in for Hick's 870 shotgun? I want it to be durable and functional. For use in airsoft games and prop wise. I was thinking of using the CYMA 870 Tri shot (no wood fore end) or the sawed off A&K 870 FULL METAL with real wood (wrong pistol grip). Any thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:41 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Hicks actually had a modified Ithaca 37 shotgun.

Can't vouch for its durability, but I believe this is the only airsoft version out there.
http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/a ... Police.htm

Technically you would want the "featherlight" full size hunting version then cut it down and add an MP40 grip, but if you are looking for a reasonably close stand-in, the stakeout is close enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 1:49 pm 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

Or you could use an 870, as you say... You were certainly taken in by it, plus it's an iconic weapon.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:15 pm 

bigbisont wrote:

Can't vouch for its durability, but I believe this is the only airsoft version out there.

Technically you would want the "featherlight" full size hunting version then cut it down and add an MP40 grip, but if you are looking for a reasonably close stand-in, the stakeout is close enough.

Ooh nice I like it! And reasonable price too

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:16 pm 

Ttaskmaster wrote:
Or you could use an 870, as you say... You were certainly taken in by it, plus it's an iconic weapon.

The 870 was the only closest thing I could find besides the one suggested above.

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 4:06 pm 

bigbisont wrote:

I just bought it! Thanks a lot Marine!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:49 pm 

My shotgun came yesterday (Saturday)!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:32 pm 
THAT guy

cecarroll0519 wrote:

Once you run it through the paces, I'd love to hear a review.

I opted to build an inert one as a display piece since I don't actually do airsoft, but am still very curious about this one.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:14 pm 

bigbisont wrote:
cecarroll0519 wrote:

Once you run it through the paces, I'd love to hear a review.

I opted to build an inert one as a display piece since I don't actually do airsoft, but am still very curious about this one.

I was thinking of doing that very thing. Next is an idea for a scabbard. but im thinking of a run of the mill tactical MOLLE scabbard and possibly dying it brown...I aim to use the shotgun and anything else in games. so though a screen accurate leather scabbard would be cool...not very tactical. thanks for the Interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:47 pm 

Service Number: A01/TQ2.0.42137E1
I have two of the KTW shotguns. One is set up in "Hicks" configuration and signed by Michael Biehn. The other is mounted in my ST Morita.

As a bonus, the Morita also came with a resin M37 that I now have left over after installing the Airsoft version.

The KTW as an Airsoft gun leaves a few things to be desired but it's a great prop. I did some weathering on mine and it looks great. Perfect for "close encounters."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:57 pm 

Erik_MAA wrote:
I have two of the KTW shotguns. One is set up in "Hicks" configuration and signed by Michael Biehn. The other is mounted in my ST Morita.

As a bonus, the Morita also came with a resin M37 that I now have left over after installing the Airsoft version.

The KTW as an Airsoft gun leaves a few things to be desired but it's a great prop. I did some weathering on mine and it looks great. Perfect for "close encounters."

I know right?. I plan on using mine till it breaks and then itll be a prop. I also wish to have "Hicks" sign mine too!

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:00 pm 

cecarroll0519 wrote:
I know right?. I plan on using mine till it breaks and then itll be a prop. I also wish to have "Hicks" sign mine too!

It was a pretty awesome fanboy moment for me. He said he had signed a lot of pulse rifles and armor, but never a shotgun before mine.

Some additional notes on the KTW vs. the actual prop:

This is the best pic of the Hicks gun I have seen.

1. Engraving on the reciever indicates the base gun for this was a "Featherlite". The KTW is based on the "Stakeout."
The engraving was probably something like this (taken from the Ithaca website):

The KTW does sell a "Featherlight" version of the gun but it does not have the engraving. It's a plastic reciever so if you feel brave enough you could have the engraving added.

2. The screen-used pistol grip was a modified grip from a German Mp40 submachinegun. You can find Airsoft spring Mp40s online to get this part. The Mp40 grip appears to be mated to a portion of the original wood stock.

For the film, all of these details are lost because the pistol grip is wrapped with tape.

3. The Hicks gun has a notched rear sight and blade front sight. These are missing from the KTW.

4. The forend of the Hicks gun is not ribbed like the KTW, but has a diamond checkering pattern.

In a pinch, for the budget minded Marine who doesn't care about being screen accurate, there are a lot of pump-action Airsoft shotguns out there. Borrowing a phrase from a fellow prop-building friend: "This isn't Hicks' shotgun. It's MINE."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:46 pm 
THAT guy

If you plan to modify yours, the sites can be scratch built fairly easily. This thread shows how I did mine and I am pretty happy with the results. There is also info about the accurate forend (in case you wanted to hunt one down and swap it out, although I have no idea how easy the real parts would fit on the airsoft).
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15367&hilit=hicks+scratch+real

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:41 pm 

Bigbisont, that's a great prop you built! Thanks for sharing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:19 pm 

Got the KTW "Stakeout" and the Sawed-Off versions. They look okay, but have kind of a light build, I think they're mostly plastic.

Decent for a last-resort Airsoft gun though. I'm kind of annoyed I missed out on the Riot Slug model when it was out - thought of doing a Reese costume.