The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: cool Space Marine boot camp idea
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:57 pm 

Let's say, in theory, one was writing a one hour tv pilot about Space Marines (yes, I know ours are "Colonial Marines") - what cool/unique things do you think they would do in boot camp? HALO's? Power Loader training? Weapons with directional bullets? Unique weapons? Love to hear some ideas...

On another note, trying to get an ear for military dialogue, the way the platoon would talk to each other - fun lines like, "Have you ever been mistaken for a man?" etc.

Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:36 am 

Power Loader training would be a follow-on, post Boot Camp school. Boot Camp is set up to produce a basic Marine. Physical training, drill, one basic weapon, hand-to-hand combat, uniform code of military justice, history, basic first aid, uniforms. Grenades, some tactics, map reading, etc. Post Boot Camp is where you gain specific knowledge for you MOS (Military Occupational Special)/job. Now, if you are going for realistic, that's what it is. If you are going for fictional, you're only limited by your imagination. (I was a Marine for 23 years. Boot Camp at Parris Island, SC.) Let me know if there is anything I can help with. I recommend you see the movie Full Metal Jacket. The first half of that movie is the most realistic and closest to what I experienced in 1978. You never forget it. Yes, I was hit, punched twice, and hit with a helmet once. The language is colorful.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 10:56 am 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

•ONEYE• wrote:
Physical training, drill, one basic weapon, hand-to-hand combat, uniform code of military justice, history, basic first aid, uniforms. Grenades, some tactics, map reading, etc.

These are Space Marines, though, so add to the above anything you can imagine which covers all aspects of life in space and on colonies that everyone would need skills in.

So you'll want Low-G/Zero-G training, living & fighting in vacsuits and mag boots (kinda like how we get NBC training today), maintenance of critical ship systems like life support, a few things about the colony complexes, probably operating the APC, etc...

Post subject: Re: cool Space Marine boot camp idea
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:28 pm 

Service Number: A05/TQ2.0.32141E1
Now if you did colonize space you would have all sorts of standards. Airlock standards. Emergency ingress/egress. vacuum safety protocols. ship size and weight limits. ammo and explosive charge standards regarding use and storage.

Mapping and location way finding would be more fun. Do you just give a detailed 3-d model of a planet you can pull up on your wrist watch? Do you use compass location and calibrating your compass for the magnetic nature of a world (think predators.)

Plasma and laser burns and how to handle them.

hacking protocol standards for bypasses and lock down over rides.

The amount of special materials needed to manufacture complex systems would make things such that there would be bare bones standards and equipment that could be repaired with locally sourced materials. So how do you find suitable materials locally (think army corps of engineers reinvented)

How the laws apply to you. That one would be real finicky as there would have been immeasurable case law if the ambulance chaser lawsuits never got stopped by that point in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 11:07 pm 

This is all great stuff, really can't thank you guys enough!

-W

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:56 am 

Thinking about it some more... we are talking future & Sci-Fi... so, there may be training in zero or low gravity? Space station? Moon? Virtual reality training?

Psychological testing (confined spaces, life in space). A hyper-sleep test? Doesn't have to be a long, involved scene, just to show that some will wash out of the program early.

Xenobiology? Contact protocols ("Nobody touch nothing.")

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:22 am 

Can I baggsy myself a role on the TV show, please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:29 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
I think a hike up good ol' Olympus Mons should be a requirement ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:05 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
I can see a detail on that planet with the "bright yellow fauna" clearing foliage happening.

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:18 am 

Again, this is all great stuff - you guys rock...

Working on a trainging montage right now, trying to think of something cool visually for a zero g combat scene, like someone fires their weapon and it sends them reeling backward - I don't know, trying to find a new spin on the whole Ender's Game combat training. Also trying to think of some cool weapons tech - like a self-guided bullet, or something that can be demonstrated in a cool, fun way...

There's also some basics I want to adhere too - like Band of Brothers had some great PT scenes with the unit running up the same hill over and over again, but it's hard to make a running sequence pop on the page, especially in a sci fi script...

Need to think of a fun obstacle course too that doesn't bore the reader / viewer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 5:38 am 
BUG SPRAY

Service Number: A12/TQ1.0.72141E2
Crawling under laser barbed wire perhaps?

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 7:06 pm 

Obiwan kowalski wrote:
Crawling under laser barbed wire perhaps?

Barbs are not

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 8:03 pm 

Willie Goldman wrote:
There's also some basics I want to adhere too - like Band of Brothers had some great PT scenes with the unit running up the same hill over and over again, but it's hard to make a running sequence pop on the page, especially in a sci fi script...

Need to think of a fun obstacle course too that doesn't bore the reader / viewer...

Have them be shot at with rubber bullets, bean bag shot guns. To help "motivate" them to go faster.

The use of sharks, alligators can be used in water (for that kind of obstacle). Wild boars, tigers on land. These can be real or simulated. Or you can use alien creatures.

Team building with small groups... think of Predator, or Predators. The team is dropped into an unknown hostile place. Booby traps (non-lethal but painful). They have to go from one area to another while someone with multiple advantages (knowledge of the terrain, booby trap location). No team member can be left behind.

Psychological fears, if you are afraid of fire, heights, snakes, etc... that fear must be incorporated into the training.

At the same, in training, as well as in combat, the humor is deep and dark. It the trainer is present, it has to suppressed laughter, like at a funeral home, or in church.

Language, colorful. Watch Full Metal Jacket, the first half. It's very close to what I experienced in Boot Camp, PISC. I got hit once during uniform issue, and once in the gas chamber. During field combat training, I got hit with a helmet and the poor recruit next to me got hit first, and soaked up some of my damage.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:13 pm 

•ONEYE• wrote:
Language, colorful. Watch Full Metal Jacket, the first half. It's very close to what I experienced in Boot Camp, PISC. I got hit once during uniform issue, and once in the gas chamber. During field combat training, I got hit with a helmet and the poor recruit next to me got hit first, and soaked up some of my damage.

Oneye -

Did you ever read With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge? Terrific book. The opening sections deal with Sledge's experience in boot camp at Camp Elliott. A lot of the dialogue reminded me of Full Metal Jacket. Though obviously it would be the other way around since Sledge's experience predates that film and Vietnam. It gave me the impression that drill instructors like R. Lee Ermey inherited much of what was said from previous generations of DIs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:58 pm 
Range Safety Officer

The Space above and beyond pilot had a section on space marine training..

"You are not your Drop Count."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:42 am 

Again, these are all great - really can't thank you guys enough... Really helps spool up the ol' noodle when the ideas aren't flowing as much as you'd like... You guys are awesome...

-W

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:53 pm 

JediFraz wrote:
The Space above and beyond pilot had a section on space marine training..

Features a lot of ass-grabbing. Watching the Boys from Company C, there's a lot of crotch-grabbing in that, and more in FMJ... all of which have RLE as the DI.

R Lee Ermey seems to like grabbing anatomy!!