The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Re: Expanded universe & Artistic liberty build/gear? Post a
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:47 am 
Lifer

So what we have learned is if you want to have an anti face hugger mask, just wear a stasis tube on your noggin. :roll:

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:44 am 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Kevin: the Weyland-Yutani "Handlers" looked like dog catchers to me. I thought it was a nice touch though as the Alien (in the theatrical cut at least) came out of a dog. It made me wonder if the Corporation was underestimating the size of these things. There is a similar misconception that is played with in the Technical Manual towards the end when the corporate guys are discussing the Narcissus incident and assume (at first) that the Alien could only have been the size of a rottweiller due to how short the period had been between its birth and its killing spree.
Similarly I thought the commando's masks were meant to be taken as a woefully inadequate facehugger-proof device. The sort of thing that gets dreamed up by a desk jockey with no real experience with the Alien.

Just me two cents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:20 am 
Jack of Hearts

Service Number: A07/TQ2.0.02158E1
I was also under the impression the facehugger used acid to melt through Kane's helmet. I swear there's a line of dialogue where Ash says something to that effect.

LCpl. Av "Spectre" Taylor
Long Range Infantry Support

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:46 am 
Rip Steakface

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.42152G1
retrogarde wrote:
Kevin: the Weyland-Yutani "Handlers" looked like dog catchers to me. I thought it was a nice touch though as the Alien (in the theatrical cut at least) came out of a dog. It made me wonder if the Corporation was underestimating the size of these things. There is a similar misconception that is played with in the Technical Manual towards the end when the corporate guys are discussing the Narcissus incident and assume (at first) that the Alien could only have been the size of a rottweiller due to how short the period had been between its birth and its killing spree.
Similarly I thought the commando's masks were meant to be taken as a woefully inadequate facehugger-proof device. The sort of thing that gets dreamed up by a desk jockey with no real experience with the Alien.

Just me two cents.

I have to agree with that assessment. I mean, the mask has freaking holes in it that the 'hugger's "proboscis" (for lack of a better term) would easily slither right through.

Spectre wrote:
I was also under the impression the facehugger used acid to melt through Kane's helmet. I swear there's a line of dialogue where Ash says something to that effect.

Yeah, that's the assumption I always made. I mean, the helmet looks melted right there in the movie when they cut it off Kane in medbay.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:10 pm 
Mad Cat

Service Number: AO3/TQ6.0.79749E8
Spectre wrote:

And in Alien 3, Ripley found burn marks on her cryotube. I assumed this came from the facehugger that attacked her.

Why didn't the facehuggers in the stasis tubes in Aliens do the same? It was my thoughts that the stasis tubes were filled with a sedative of sorts. Of course that didn't stop one from trying to get to Burke, but I figured that meant it wasn't 100% "under".

It's a boot!"

III drops

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:45 pm 

Dropshipbob wrote:
Why didn't the facehuggers in the stasis tubes in Aliens do the same?

Another off the wall idea. Maybe, due to the facehugger physiology, they can only use their acid secretion in conjunction with their legs/tail grip on convex shapes, and not concave ones?

Jeff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:52 pm 
Pint of AB negative please

Service Number: A09/TQ2.0.12136E1
Dropshipbob wrote:
Spectre wrote:

And in Alien 3, Ripley found burn marks on her cryotube. I assumed this came from the facehugger that attacked her.

Why didn't the facehuggers in the stasis tubes in Aliens do the same? It was my thoughts that the stasis tubes were filled with a sedative of sorts. Of course that didn't stop one from trying to get to Burke, but I figured that meant it wasn't 100% "under".

maybe it because they were in liquid that made the acid redundent? the burns on the cryotube i thought were causeD when the glass cracked causing the facehugger to bleed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:07 pm 
Singing the doom song...

Service Number: A11/TQ1.0.32150E1
The huggers in the tubes had already taken a victim ("They killed him taking it off"), so maybe they were in a weakened state, having expelled a lot of energy in attempting to implant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:22 pm 
Chaplain

Service Number: A09/TQ1.0.12155E1
I know in the Dark horse comics there is one issue that includes a Marine Prison squad who use grunts as "bait". there is one marine that has a full face mase that stops a facehugger latching on....

If i was at home and had a scanner I would show you all!!

Does not help,
Does not clean,
Will have sex with anything!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:37 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Cheif: are you thinking of "Aliens Tribes" by any chance? Now there was some sweet Expanded Universe stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:43 pm 
Harvester of Sorrow

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.32156E1
Acid doesn't melt glass, hense why it's stored in jars in schools/labs.

Kane's helmet was probably some fancy space-age polymer and the hugger tubes were glass going off the noise the hugger made in the "..love at first sight.." scene (regardless of what the actual prop was made of).

Mine, cent, x2.
:)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:11 am 
Lifer

88reaper88 wrote:

Acid found on Earth. :wink:

I agree that Kane's helmet looked melted (saying things like "smash" or "crash" was a just a bad choice of wording when I was describing the hugger in the stasis tube trying to get to Burke. I don't need someone to punch me as an experiment :roll: )...

So why didn't the face hugger in Aliens "melt" Ripley's hands? She was holding it at bay with her hands before Hicks and the gang arrived to rescue her. It's not like the host would need their hands. :wink:

I think this is all academic. There are obvious holes in the plot points between the two films. The acid blood of the face hugger can eat through three decks of a spaceship in ALIEN, however in Aliens the adult alien's blood (which makes giant holes in the steel flooring of the colony) gets on Hudson's arm and he's fine after they wrap a bandage around it. :roll:

The initial question has been is it possible to have an "anti-face hugger" mask. I think after you take in the discrepancies between the hugger that attacked Kane... and everything seen there after, you "can" create an anti-hugger helmet.

Personally I think it's just another watering down of the deadly abilities of this species, but who am I to say otherwise. :lol: :delta:

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:20 pm 
Grumpy Frenchman

Jonsey, I am also intrigued and interested by your project, and would love to participate. I'm not *much* of a prop maker, alas, but if you have some writing to do, I am WAY better at that - and love it. :mrgreen:

Oh, on a side note, I did design (if not actually draw) an alternate unit patch. That does qualify as E.U. swag, right? And the Brits have a ton of those, too!

OH! I also did this:

Although that (delicious) prop is loooong gone! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:58 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Ooh, I did an EU patch as well:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11376&hilit=simple+patch

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:16 pm 
Resin God.

SAW Version. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:24 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Matt, did you see this yet?

Attachment:
prototype.png
prototype.png [ 117.4 KiB | Viewed 9529 times ]

It was a design for Prometheus that went unused. I think it's pretty awesome and would love to see someone make one. If I had a set of shrouds I might try it myself...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:12 am 
Rip Steakface

Service Number: A06/TQ0.0.42152G1
I've seen a custom unit patch on "that popular auction site" that looks pretty cool. USS Alamo; 4th Batt, 5th Regt.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220881531217?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:18 pm 
Resin God.

retrogarde wrote:
Matt, did you see this yet?

Attachment:
prototype.png

It was a design for Prometheus that went unused. I think it's pretty awesome and would love to see someone make one. If I had a set of shrouds I might try it myself...

I did see that, I snagged a hi res and isolated the gun. There is little to nothing I can use of the old pulse rifle in that design, it would have to be a scratch build from the ground up.

M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:08 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

The trigger guard makes it look a lot like the old 1980's Laser Tag pistols:

Attachment:
Old-Skool-LazerTag-e1328274819810.jpg
Old-Skool-LazerTag-e1328274819810.jpg [ 13.6 KiB | Viewed 9483 times ]

Don't you think?

I have about six of these in my basement.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:18 pm 
Lifer

Okay adding my EU gear to the thread. :wink:

First and foremost my P.I.G Gunner impression:

I first put the weapon together in 2005. The PIG is my interpretation of the Phased-plasma Infantry Gun from the Tech Manual:

(In the above pic- the battery is attached to my armour. This was how I carried it pre-2007. Afterward I created a lighter more summer-friendly uniform.)

The uniform is based on a Smart-gunner's gear (minus the steadycam harness). Standard BDUs, M1969 flak vest, black ballcap, tactical gloves, and headset. I decided to keep my greaves- I've always enjoyed pretending I was Hicks putting them on during the "Ready for the Drop" sequence!

The new, lighter PIG battery pack.

I decided to go with UA Army as it would be army equipment supplied to the Marines no?

My friendly warning (the idea is a message to a sniper- I'll level the whole f---ing street you're on!)

Unofrtunately in 2009 while crossing the US/Canadian border on my way to D-Con, US Homeland Security decided that an inert PVC pipe configured to look like an AT4 (what they thought it was), along with a hollow water jug with a headphone jack and wire attached (the battery pack), was deemed a prohibited device to bring into the United States. The confiscated it, the battery and some other miscellanious item, declaring they be destroyed.

Whole story is here- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6898

Another EU weapon I'm pretty proud of is my M279 Grenade Launcher:

This is a repainted Nerf Vulcan.

The actual build thread is here- viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5019

Other impressions-

My Marine Space Aviator:

ImageImage

The idea here was that if Dropships were like the Huey helicopters in the Vietnam war, then there should be a USCM equivalent of the F-105s or F-4 Phantoms that flew in that conflict. This is my version of what a "fast mover" pilot would look like in the USCM.

It is an RAF Mk14 flightsuit, custom subdued USCM patches, Nomex gloves, and a Canadian Forces flight helmet and survival vest. I have a S&W 4506 in my holster.

That build can be read here- viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4226

And my last big EU project- my Dress Blues impression:

The thread for this one is 38 pages long... but the final update starts here- :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2518&start=885

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:28 am 
Prop Churner Outer

It is glorious to see all those creations listed in one post like that Kevin. Awesome, awesome work all around!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:16 pm 
Jack of Hearts

Service Number: A07/TQ2.0.02158E1
SSgt Burton wrote:
I decided to keep my greaves- I've always enjoyed pretending I was Hicks putting them on during the "Ready for the Drop" sequence!

Kevin

I do the exact same thing. Even when I'm gearing up alone, I always put my boot against a wall or something and slap the buckles on the way he does.

Hadn't seen the grenade launcher before. Love it.

LCpl. Av "Spectre" Taylor
Long Range Infantry Support

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 5:44 pm 

SSgt Burton wrote:
88reaper88 wrote:
Acid found on Earth. :wink:
I like the idea that xenomorph acid doesn't affect glass. Otherwise, we're heading into "black goo" territory, wherein the limits of the substance in question are only limited by the director's convenience.

SSgt Burton wrote:
I agree that Kane's helmet looked melted (saying things like "smash" or "crash" was a just a bad choice of wording when I was describing the hugger in the stasis tube trying to get to Burke. I don't need someone to punch me as an experiment :roll: )...

So why didn't the face hugger in Aliens "melt" Ripley's hands? She was holding it at bay with her hands before Hicks and the gang arrived to rescue her. It's not like the host would need their hands. :wink:

I think this is all academic. There are obvious holes in the plot points between the two films. The acid blood of the face hugger can eat through three decks of a spaceship in ALIEN, however in Aliens the adult alien's blood (which makes giant holes in the steel flooring of the colony) gets on Hudson's arm and he's fine after they wrap a bandage around it. :roll:
Even in the original film, the alien life-cycle never made a whole lot of sense. Facehuggers are really an unnecessary complication to the xenomorph's wasp-like parasitic reproduction seemingly added for little more than to up the film's already considerable ick factor, and then there's the issue of how one of those little things is supposed to subdue and infect a 25-foot-tall humanoid whose head alone is the size of a normal person's torso.

In any event, though, I don't have a problem believing that the acid might react differently to different substances. It certainly seems as though the idea, at least in Aliens, is that it doesn't burn flesh quite as badly as whatever cheap steel Weyland-Yutani uses for flooring, and military-grade armour is correspondingly more resistant (with the armour on the APC apparently being completely impervious to acid damage).

Cool costume, by the way. Sorry to hear about the incident with the DHS. :|

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:24 pm 
Bacon Rapscallion

Service Number: A12/TQ1.0.72136E1
Hicks27 wrote:

I know they are not very exciting...but I like them and think the add detail and story to my case. As I said more story on the idea of the Maintenance case in my thread.

I think details like this are some of the best additions to the EU. IT's the little things that really 'sell' kit and collections.

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2017 2:28 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Yellowjacket wrote:
Hicks27 wrote:
"...but I like them and think the add detail and story to my case."

I think details like this are some of the best additions to the EU. IT's the little things that really 'sell' kit and collections.

Double-plus agree. Thems a sexy little detail.