The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

So after viewing it did you like Covenant or not.
LIKE 29%  29%  [ 10 ]
DONT LIKE 35%  35%  [ 12 ]
ON THE FENCE 35%  35%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 34
 Post subject: Alien covenant review *MINOR SPOILERS*
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:48 pm 

Right been to see it tonight.

This is more for the people who have been to see it and people that haven't should probably wait to see it themselves first as i would not want to spoil your viewing by reading this first. I more just want to compare opinions.

So. I went expecting to be disappointed to be honest. For a long time now I have thought that Scott has gone the way of Lucas and has lost his way in a franchise and maybe like Lucas a big corporation needs to step in, obtain ownership and take the helm. It feels to me Scott has only pressed ahead as he doesn’t want somebody else to have success, like Blomkamp with a franchise he started. He isnt daft he knows this license can produce the figures even if the movie is crap. Just look at the AVP movies. He has an over-inflated ego and would rather stay in the limelight and feel relevant. Prometheus wasn’t great but I have to say after watching covenant I feel its the former is the better film.

Now don’t get me wrong there is a lot that is good about this movie. It is absolutely stunning to behold. The sets interior and exterior really immerse you and the nods to the previous alien and aliens are gleefully abundant yet not distracting. E.g. The Iconography, The computer screens, the set dressings. Etc. however what did really wind me up was the poor and lazy use of present day weapons and gopro cameras on characters. Because they were so obvious and recognizable it really drew me away form the future setting.

I say it was stunning to watch and it was, most of the effects really looked great however I did feel the use of CGI was utilised more than was necessary. The Scenes I was worried about like the backburster seen in the trailer was actually great but the normal chestburster just looked so artificial i think partially due to it not being the normal "chestburster' we are used to seeing. It is more a micro xenomorph. Along the same lines, I’m really shocked and upset that Scott has messed with the alien lifecycle and gestation period. I don’t think any of the films since resurrection have adjusted this to suit the timescale of the movie but in this its ridiculous.

There’s a lot of old slasher film clichés. A lot of easily predictable deaths, due to characters splitting up and winding up all alone somewhere. The ending isn’t much better and is almost a shame you know its going to happen pretty much from them setting foot on the planet.

It’s definitely a movie more about Scott’s obsession with artificial life than anything and the xenomorphs are more a recurring character.

I felt a bit cheated more wasn’t shown about the planet and the people there. Who they were and why what was done was done to them. Also despite understanding David’s motives would have liked more information as to what happened between him and Shaw.

Overall I wouldn’t say it was a bad movie I think if it wasn’t for Fassbender and McBride carrying this it would have been a lot LOT worse.

I just really hope the studio hands the reigns to someone else in the future as i think so much more and so much better can be done.

5/10

I think out of them all i rate it:

1:Aliens
2:Alien
3:Alien 3
4:Prometheus
5:Covenant
6:Resurection

look forward to hearing what other people thought and i will probably go and see again anyway as i am a pretty big alien nut.

oh yeah got a cool poster as it was release day!

Attachment:
Covenant poster
IMG_2326.JPG.jpeg
IMG_2326.JPG.jpeg [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 11033 times ]

Post subject: Re: Alien covenant review *MINOR SPOILERS*
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 8:33 pm 
They mostly come at night... mostly.

I saw it earlier today and I liked it. I was expecting to be disappointed by it, but I thought it was a big improvement on Prometheus.

Quite big spoilers:

The good:

The sets, ships, general design.
The actors.
The music.
The Aliens, though I wasn't too keen on the light coloured ones, apart from the excellent Facehuggers of course. The black one was beautiful.
A lot of scenes were done well, and mostly made sense.
The general feel and story was quite good, though did focus too much on David.

The bad:

Too much David/Walter.
Some scenes dragged on a bit too long.
There were some questionable decisions by the crew and slightly ridiculous events. E.g. The computer pretty much said the ship WOULD be destroyed if they descended. Why not just give a probability, which would make more sense when it didn't get destroyed. Another was when the person who was covered with the infected mas'd blood locked someone else in the room with him saying it was for quarantine reasons. Maybe look in the mirror next time. Also grabbing the Alien in the crane! I think there are more examples that I can't think of right now. Nothing as bad as Prometheus, which was stupid beyond belief. I actually did a text file of stupid things when I watched it the second time.
I'm not sure how I feel about David being the probably source of the Alien eggs we see in Alien, and therefore pretty much the whole franchise. It's a bit like mideclorians. Stop explaining everything.

But, I did enjoy it, and would give it a 4 out of 5. 3 would be a very average film (e.g. Child's Play 3 and Baywatch: Forbidden Paradise get 5/10 on IMDB, and it's much better than those), and this had amazing stuff to look at, space ships, and Aliens running about, so it's difficult to give it less than a 4 out of 5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:38 pm 
Dirty Bird

Service Number: A07/TQ0.0.82154E1
I have not seen it and after reading this I will still see it. but I was not expecting much from the movie. just like it has been said I think he should let others do what they want with the films a bit. Blomkemp should be allowed to write 5. it was such a great concept. but we never know Fox can say go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 11:51 am 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

They tried to shoehorn too much into one film.
What they did shoehorn in was rushed, ill-considered and poorly delivered. I'm really starting to think Sir Ridley has disappeared quite up his own backside, now. Where's the filmcraft gone, the decent plot, the engaging dialogue?

The whole David/Walter thing was SOOOOO blatant and predictable.

The human characters were one-dimensional and had no impact at all... in fact, they were so forgettable, we had to have advance YouTube short films to introduce them to us and give us something (anything) more about who they were. Aside from a couple of cute girls (well, most of them, actually), the not-ready-for-command XO and that Tennessee chap, I can't really remember anyone... and nobody's name. Not even the cute pilot... I do seem to have a thing for ill-fated female pilots!

To be fair, the crew weren't as utterly stupid as those aboard Prometheus, but they certainly didn't do themselves very many favours... Any H&S officer aboard that ship would have been having a fit!

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 10:27 pm 
Got a big ass gun and a can-do attitude

Saw it today and pretty much what everyone else has already said. It was ok but as big a fan as I am if i'd have missed it at the cinema for some reason and had to watch it for the first time on DVD I probably wouldn't have been that disappointed that I had skipped the big screen experience. Overall I would say it's a good way too kill a couple of hours but nothing show stopping, that said it's still an aliens film so can't be all bad I suppose!

Was it just me but when the chestburster spread his arms to David I was half hoping/expecting it to carry on into a little dance routine to YMCA! ☺

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:39 pm 
Galaxy-hopping garbage man

shelby wrote:
Was it just me but when the chestburster spread his arms to David I was half hoping/expecting it to carry on into a little dance routine to YMCA! ☺

Not just you... I thought it was a Muppet reject Ridley bought cheap off eBay or something!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 3:37 pm 

thought it was gonna start dancing to 'want you back' by the jackons like groot in GOTG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 12:34 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Forgettable and at times embarrassing. Should have been titled DAVID Covenant. There are some great sequences but the overall storyline doesn't gel. I was mostly liking it until David showed up, then it went downhill fast. The ending was a video game cut scene with unfortunate CGI.

Plus the trailers spoiled damn near every plot point...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:53 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Oh, and they ripped off plot points from Passengers, a film written by Prometheus' original screenwriter. Pretty sad.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:02 pm 
MARINE RAIDER

Service Number: A01/TQ0.0.12149E1
Never seen such a bull shit movie before - much more worse than prometheus (and I am not sure how this could be possible)!

I renamed the movie! Nothing more to say (even if the List is longer than the Bible!)

DAVID.jpg
DAVID.jpg [ 170.21 KiB | Viewed 10717 times ]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:03 pm 
MARINE RAIDER

retrogarde wrote:
Forgettable and at times embarrassing. Should have been titled DAVID Covenant. There are some great sequences but the overall storyline doesn't gel. I was mostly liking it until David showed up, then it went downhill fast. The ending was a video game cut scene with unfortunate CGI.

HOLY SHIT - SAME IDEA HERE XD (SEE MY PREVIOUS POST) hahaha - we are ruling, buddy - same ideas in our crazy brains ;D!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:24 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

That is awesome!!

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:53 pm 
MARINE RAIDER

Read it!!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2316204/reviews?ref_=tt_ov_rt

Nonsical plot and stupid characters ruin it all.
1/10 | kuuk3 | 13 May 2017
Spoilers. This film is a complete mess.
1. There is a ship full off over 1000 sleeping passengers. Yet they have just one android to look after it all. Why not have 3, 10 or even 20! They don't age and surely you need a backup.
2. A rogue unexplained solar flare hits the ship disabling it, and Walter says they should leave the area asap. But instead they go further into it.
3. An astronaut outside the ship picks up a stray signal through his helmets two-way radio, that somehow appears in visual form on the glass of his helmet? Yet the giant ship with the radio dish right next to him misses it!
4. How did they determine the artist from the white noise? What they found later no-way explains why they sent a song into space for no apparent reason!
5. They are able to trace a stray video signal to a planet two weeks away at star-ship speed.
6. You don't need to send almost the entire crew down to an alien planet! A scout team of four would have sufficed. Or maybe just the android on reconnaissance.
7. They pilot the drop ship through a plasma storm, yet it is sunlight clear within seeing distance. Why not fly around the storm?
8. They should have scouted the area, alien buildings and mass graveyards before landing the ship.
9. They land in the water, even though solid ground is just ten yards away. With unknown worms other possible deadly life in it. Unstable ground is not wise to land on, just to get your shoes wet?
10. You open the door after landing, not during.
11. They don't bother wearing space suits, they don't send the android out first to test the area.
12. They leave just one person on the ship, and leave the bay door wide open in unfamiliar terrain.
13. There is wheat on the planet. Did they just take seeds with them for the fun of it?
14. You do not let an infected person with an alien disease back on your ship.
15. Don't open the door to a quarantine lab with a monster in it, and don't go inside and slip on the blood.
16. When you shoot the metal wall of your shuttle with metal bullets, they usually ricochet. The fuel canisters are not usually left inside the ship, on the wall next to the door.
17. The two crew members that were in the shuttle as it exploded. At what point do you go check on all the screaming in the next room?
18. When following an android on an alien planet with a flare gun, through a dead city full of dead bodies, don't bother asking him about any of it. Or suspect him as the only survivor to have been the cause.
19. Androids kissing each other. Android David raping a woman. Why?
20. David decides to give himself a haircut, using garden sheers for no obvious reason, yet afterwards it was clearly done with an electric razor. And no one questions it.
21. Android robots can play the flute. You need lungs for that, to blow air.
22. Android David created the dust mites, the mutant embryo, a dozen eggs without a queen. Yet he made all this without any scientific equipment, zero tools, while living in a cave filled with his drawings and a flute.
23. The smart mini dust mites were perfection. A micro monster that kills within minutes. Logically, why would it evolve to a size that makes it vulnerable?
24. Don't split up in an alien vessel.
25. When you contact the main ship in orbit, give them a full report. Not just two words. And they should have abandoned you at that point to protect the rest of the passengers.
26. When the Captain finds David, talking to an Alien with the decapitated head of a fellow crew-member in the water, he doesn't start shooting him. Instead he follows him into the bowels of the ship and into a room full of eggs.
27. Do not look directly into an alien egg that is opening.
28. Apparently the gestation time of face alien impregnating a person to full alien form is just ten seconds now. Yet later it takes a few hours, and in Alien it took a day.
29. When Walter goes to confront David after being attacked, he should have got himself a gun. He was missing a hand, and about to fight another android on his home turf.
30. Do not fly a colony ship into a plasma storm, overwriting every safety protocol.
31. The loading platform should have flown straight back up. There was no reason the pilot was swinging the ship around like a mad man. The alien was not affecting its movement, and the storm had even subsided. Yet he flew it into buildings and all sorts of tilting.
32. With problems piling up, you don't turn of "Mother" the main ship computer for rebooting.
33. The aliens smash through reinforced glass with its head at every opportunity, without any harm to themselves.
34. The humans wear spacesuits to survive in the vacuum. But apparently aliens can survive without them.
35. Do not take a loud shower, with loud music and ignore the siren alarms.
36. When you have two identical looking androids and one of them is evil. Perhaps ask it a few basic security questions before giving it full command of the ship.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:01 pm 
MARINE RAIDER

Ridley, it's time to retire!
1/10 | dom_ti2000 | 13 May 2017
I truly believe Ridley has gone senile, why else would he sh*t all over his legacy? Why make this monstrosity? I'm sure he could have made money directing any random sci-fi movie.
Why the hell would anybody do this to their fans? Is Ridley Scott as demented as David in this movie? Purposely inflicting as much mental damage as he could by making the exact opposite decisions his fans wanted him to make says yes, he should leave the Alien franchise up to someone else.
STOP MAKING THE SCIENTISTS MENTALLY RETARDED!! Who would go on an alien planet with no helmets and no masks for the first time?! WHO would follow a strange acting android who was marooned on a planet for years into a bizarre cave and stare like a complete moron into an alien egg after people around him got killed by aliens?! You know who? Characters in a movie directed by Ridley Scott!! SO STUPID !!!
There are more plot holes than you can count, the writing was either rushed or just bad, you can spot any so-called plot twists a light year away and overall it just comes out as a B movie. The Xenomorph was added just for fan service and the CGI done for it was mediocre.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:03 am 

So much non sense in this movie that it could turn me insane.
I will stay far away from it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 7:22 am 
First to Die.

Service Number: A10/TQ2.0.72155E1
Quote:
34. The humans wear spacesuits to survive in the vacuum. But apparently aliens can survive without them.

Technically I think that issue started with Alien, that ones still alive when Ripley hit the engines

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:31 am 
MARINE RAIDER

I have to copy and paste more genial critics from IMDB! Link to the site in one of my privious posts!

An incompetent crew sent to colonize space
3/10 | fabz | 14 May 2017
Verdict: This movie seems like the intellectually challenged child of "Alien" and "Idiocracy". Ridley Scott's lazy execution has killed the series.
Review: Looking at the list of people involved in directing and producing this movie, it is incredible to realize that they got so much wrong, and I'm not referring to nit-picky scientific facts here. The problems with Alien Covenant are much more basic than that: casting and plot. Is there anything good here? I tried hard, but all I could think of were the sets and the special FX.
The lazily executed Alien Covenant contains the usual jump scares and gore that we've seen many times before. I could easily look past the trite scifi/horror box-ticking exercise if the story or the crew were interesting, but alas they are the real letdown. It would be harsh for me to blame the cast for their poor performances because I can't quite pinpoint the exact cause of their failure. The result is clearly inadequate, regardless of the cause which is likely a mix of poor direction, poor script and ordinary acting.
Whatever the reason, the entire crew of this spaceship manages to leave any charisma and personality back on Earth and travels to explore the universe armed only with clichés and stupidity, such as casually landing on an uncharted planet with a cigarette or cigar in the mouth or wearing a cowboy hat inside a spaceship (that's character development right?).
Ultimately it is the plot that sinks Alien Covenant. I can't imagine anyone thinking that it would be acceptable to send a pathetically inept crew to colonize a planet far far away, in a very expensive spaceship, with the added responsibility of thousands of colonists in stasis. This is a crew with close to zero skill and even less common sense. A crew with a weak chain of command and a lot of bad attitude (one quote from memory, when the bumbling idiot left in charge utters to his wife: "This is not fair, the crew don't trust me just because I'm a man of faith").
Alien Covenant interprets humanity, human actions and motivations in a very warped manner, so much so that the choices made by every character seem completely irrational. Some examples:
- Detour from a planned massive colonization mission because of a single garbled message.
- Land humans on a mysterious uncharted planet as soon as you get there and without first sending a probe or doing any research. Despite an impenetrable atmosphere, with several visible cyclones and extreme storm activity going on.
- Have zero mission protocols and allow each individual to basically touch, fiddle and play with whatever they find on said mysterious planet.
- When something goes wrong get into a massive panic, but only until it's time to relax (shower, play the flute, etc.), at which point we wait for the predictable monster strike.
- Blindly and repeatedly trust a synthetic (robot) that was known to have been faulty.
- The new synthetic is an upgrade of the old synthetic, but somehow is not very rational and so is consistently outsmarted and beaten up by said inferior unit (humanity seems to have only one synthetic mold since they all look alike, even 10 years apart).
- Quarantine? Backup plan? What are they?
Nobody in their right mind would behave the way these characters do. Let alone individuals that should have been trained and primed for the circumstances.
Alien Covenant had the chance of being a good movie, but it appears to have been executed from beginning to end with a laziness that deserves contempt. Ridley Scott has had some hits and misses. He has made some of my favourite movies (the original Alien being one), but also some of my least favourite (such as Alien Covenant). I sincerely hope that Blade Runner does not also become tainted by the kind of cash-cow attitude that has ruined the Alien series.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 10:42 am 
MARINE RAIDER

The last black Alien drone on the covenant, bursted out of the sergeants chest in the medical have to be a neomorph! ... does Ridley read his own scripts? The Facehugger was not able to impregnate him - cutted of his face before being dangerous! So...the infection have to be in the injection david gave him- but in this case the result is a neomorph and not a xenomorph! Damn - i really hate this movie!

Last edited by Burner on Sun May 21, 2017 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:52 am 
Prop Churner Outer

The final alien's genesis is a head scratcher. Did David stick one of his tiny alien-in-soap things in the guy? And what is with the gestation period? Remember when Cameron cut the hive scene with Burke because the gestation period contradicted Alien? If only Ridley showed that kind of respect for his own film.

The flashback of David unleashing hell on the Engineers is a powerful metaphor for Ridley's treatment of these films and their fans.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 11:59 am 
MARINE RAIDER

The aliens in soap were little Facehuggers! The only explaination is option a) neomorph black liquid shit in davids injection which have to lead to a neomorph as final result or option b) the facehugger impregnate the Sergeant within nano seconds without entering his mouth cause he was still able to scream and talk! Both options are massive bull shit!

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 6:17 pm 
MARINE RAIDER

By the way! In my view David is wrong with his idea that he is immortal- cause he has no synthetic milk androids have to drink to stay ^alive^!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 8:19 am 

Garbage movie. Simply garbage. Beautiful to look at and I started to get excited right up until David showed up. I liked David and Walter and had no issues with any of that part. But WTF with the rest of it. No tension. Boring. Stupid characters again (yet decent cast...I really liked everyone).

I hated it.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:31 pm 

retrogarde wrote:
...I was mostly liking it until David showed up, then it went downhill fast. The ending was a video game cut scene with unfortunate CGI.

Haha my thoughts exactly. When David “Assasins Creed” shows up, well, then most of the suspense ended for my part. And yes, I only watch trailers on movies I'm not paying to see.

-following text is for the general reader:

AS earlier stated around here there is no illusion that the original Alien and Aliens film carries the complete setup of the aliens concept that you can put on screen.

1) Claustrophobic social realistic horror.
2) Suffocating isolation and panic struggle against NDE’s (near death experience).

Both films contain it all as well as all the different action elements so there is nothing left to fill out sequels. If trying to continue the franchise as long as its connected to these two movies or make a movie trying to be commercial today it will fall on it self as an alien exploitation. Btw thank you “exo-armor” Bloomkemp for not adding more piss in the soup!

My spontaneous take on Covenant as an Alien/s scholar is:

+ True Mobius/Foss inspiration from original movie for conceptual design on ships and costume.
+ Colonization ship close enough for Aliens LV-426 vessel concept.
+ Story setting in the beginning is awesome.

½ minus: Fun in a way but use of old plot segments already ventilated (although if one is borne after early 21th one havent read all Alien interviews and old alien 3 spore scripts etc. it might feel fresh) makes things too apparent.

Biggest minus:
Scott makes a plagiarism on his own movies and ideas little bit like Lucas franchise; A brown hair Dudette, a bunch of isolated crew for fodder, an Asberger android (no offence to people with asberger syndrome), a chest burster or two and the 50th take on an alien design concept. Jesus! What the fuck… :evil: Isn’t there a single person out there that is capable to come up with a different idea?????????????

But Scott don’t have to care. Like Uwe Boll he does what his vision is with the exemption that he might be forced to add some extra for a modern younger audience for commercialisation purposes like a few super un-realistic string puppet George of the jungle/transformers action scenes and a “double whopper” shower scene (don’t know the word in US, we call it a double sandwich here in Scandinavia, you know; two dudes and a girl :lol: ).

Baseline. Scott made his vision on it. Hats off. Now we know what that one was about and one can go to bed… And yes I’m going to the cinema next time to see the rest if more from him shows up. I rather go see Scotts take on things then the usual bunch of -who managed to screw who to get the honour of sodomizing the original two films-.
But believe me if you can’t smell the franchise by now and continue to be upset at all these films you are probably not young enough to enjoy them or you might want to be thinking of going to the doctor.

Is there something wrong with Hollywood?
Well it’s the trademark of un-original repetitive madness. Once you have been around for long enough to witness a few Aliens or King kongs, you will realise it and puke your guts out on it.

Enjoy what Shusett/O’Bannon, Scott, Cameron and all their slaves originally gave us. Enjoy…

/ Jonsey with purrrrrrr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:09 am 

It was ok. Like Resurrection and Prometheus before it, there was so freaking much wasted potential. Ridley Scott is the new George Lucas. Nobody seems to tell this man "NO RIDLEY, this doesn't make ANY sense. We need to rewrite this part.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 2:25 pm 
MARINE RAIDER

Alien1099 wrote:
It was ok. Like Resurrection and Prometheus before it, there was so freaking much wasted potential. Ridley Scott is the new George Lucas. Nobody seems to tell this man "NO RIDLEY, this doesn't make ANY sense. We need to rewrite this part.

"OKAY" "Like Resurrection and Prometheus before" ...okay? Oh man, there was nothing "okay" with these movies...in case "okay" is another word for "absolutely bullshit" you are right!