The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Pulse Rifle Concept and were 16 made for Production?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:34 pm 

Willie, that's a really great picture! Thanks a lot.

OT: Is that a tatoo on Vasques' forearm or just scratches?

Cheers,
Stefan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:41 pm 

Of course, happy to help. If there's anything you're looking for just let me know and I'll dig around the hard drives...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:31 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:01 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:44 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:59 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Service Number: A02/TQ2.0.52141E1
Do you have any high res ones of the other side of the armoury? With the rows of M16A1s and Colt Commandos with full length barrels? Thanks for these, Willie!

"Errr... Roger that's a 2-1-6..."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:35 pm 

A few more pics:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:11 am 

I could be mistaken but I seem to remember reading that there were four working models made.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:28 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Alien1099 wrote:
I could be mistaken but I seem to remember reading that there were four working models made.

The '4 were built' stat does keep popping up and I would love to find the original source. Overall though, I think it depends what you mean by "working".

-Some people only consider ones with the 870 in the grenade launcher to be a 'working hero', and in that case there may have been only 1.

-If "working" means 'live' blank firing then I believe there are more. Heck, there are at least 5 claimed to still exist today (albeit 're-assembled', not in original form, and now deactivated) plus in this thread is photo evidence of 6 unique steel (not static, nor stunt) pulse rifles. I don't see why they would assemble a metal rifle that wasn't blank firing when they had 8-10 stunts available. But hey...who truly knows.

I'm still trying to sort it all out and throw up all the indisputable bits. With Willie's help I hope to make even more progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:51 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Thanks to Willie for all the photos!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:52 am 

Of course ;)

I'll try and dig out some more when I come up for air.

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:06 am 

bigbisont wrote:
Alien1099 wrote:

The '4 were built' stat does keep popping up and I would love to find the original source. Overall though, I think it depends what you mean by "working".

-Some people only consider ones with the 870 in the grenade launcher to be a 'working hero', and in that case there may have been only 1.

-If "working" means 'live' blank firing then I believe there are more. Heck, there are at least 5 claimed to still exist today (albeit 're-assembled', not in original form, and now deactivated) plus in this thread is photo evidence of 6 unique steel (not static, nor stunt) pulse rifles. I don't see why they would assemble a metal rifle that wasn't blank firing when they had 8-10 stunts available. But hey...who truly knows.

I'm still trying to sort it all out and throw up all the indisputable bits. With Willie's help I hope to make even more progress.

I think blanks can be a pain to get working reliably sometimes. I have no experience with them personally.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:27 am 
Found this original Pulse Rifle Blueprint the other day and wondered if anybody had ever tried to build the original Cameron style cowling with the rear sight?
http://hollywoodrelics.com/?product=pulse-rifle

Attachment:
7.jpg
7.jpg [ 166.05 KiB | Viewed 17476 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:07 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

The only issues they had with blanks they had for the PRs was which weapon to use as the basis for the build... Because they wanted a large impressive muzzle flash...

Getting the guns to cycle on blanks is not an issue for professional armourers... They merely restrict the barrels to get the blowback to cycle the action...

As I understand, they found the Thompson to be mechanically reliable and the .45 blanks gave a good muzzle flash...

They were more worried, I believe, that the steadicam as would take out too much bolt inertia on the MG42s for the Smart Guns...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:22 pm 

That blueprint is sweet! I would love to see a better shot or a scan of it completely unfolded.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:01 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Not really 'new info', but a brighter picture more clearly showing the painted undersides on the stunts on the left vs. the metal from the thompson on the right. More pics never hurt, right?
Attachment:
Stunt vs. Hero 1.jpg
Stunt vs. Hero 1.jpg [ 247.4 KiB | Viewed 15705 times ]

Just back tracking to the blank discussion, someone said the barrel extensions they used pulled double duty as restrictors to enable the blanks as well. More details on the restrictor/extensions was in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15065

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:14 am 

Here's a photo of the underside of my stunt PR for reference

IMG_0809.JPG
IMG_0809.JPG [ 564.1 KiB | Viewed 15686 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:24 pm 

PR Orgy!

Now it was some time ago when I was last buried in the P-R controversy and I just skimmed the thread through so sorry if I repeat something.

One was a complete functioning SMG/GL. Some claim it was the hero PR prototype (the others designed w/o working GL). According to some dusty Cameron comment, it was used to inspire the actors of the feel and weight of the weapon during shooting. This was the 10 hole. It was also used to acquaint the actors back stage to firing exercise with both SMG and GL on the same weapon (according to Bien).

Due to its enormous weight and clumsiness of the fully functionally version it was decided that for action sequences were actors was to move and shoot SMG fire, the rifles was constructed with dummy GL. These were only a few and participated in the OPS fight.

By spending some time filling out an “autopsy report“ (recording different signs of wear and choke dent patterns that are unique to each rifle -as Harris claimed) on blank PR prints using the firing guns seen on screen, one get a number of PR's 100% used. Oh one thing here, they have interchangeable magazines so one can’t relay on the clips to ID the rifles. At least one rifle is seen with two different clips.

Results are:

1) Top screw. (Sling) 8 - hole
This rifle is mostly seen used by Hicks in the ops battle. It has a clean shell (no wear) a flat shot gun barrel (referred to as “Little Nozzle” here) and have the front shroud screw parallel to the smaller carrying handle space at the front instead of slightly below as on other rifles.

2) Dent. (Sling) 8 - hole
This rifle is similar to Top Screw but has the shell screw in normal position. Its used by Ripley (in her kill) and Hudson in the Ops battle. It’s clean and can only be identified by the grenade launcher choke “dent pattern” and a front shell dent were the two shell sides meet.

3) Vasques. (no sling) 8 - hole
This rifle is mostly seen being fired by Vasques in the Ops battle. It shows some very slight wear and has a heavily dented port side front shell and as well as slightly bent metal on the front port side shell (probably to an over tightening of the screw). The rifle is shown on the classic behind the scene "equipment and weapon" pictures with a measuring stick (referred to Ideal 8 here).

4) Cameron. (sic) (both seen with and w/o sling) 8 - hole
This rifle is actually not a 100% positively identified as being fired on screen in Aliens (due to a cut to a close up of a barrel firing as Hick unload it in the elevator scene, it is however positivly fired in A3). It’s a heavily abused rifle “almost having the shit hammered out of it”. It’s easily recognized due to its heavy wear, dents and deformities (referred to as Hive Hero here, no other guns have this over worn look). Its front GL choke is filed blank (don’t know the correct English term).
It changes hands several times in ops but appear most clearly with Vasques in “Paranoid delusions”, Hicks peeking, blocking the fan for Newt and later elevator kill, and Ripley slamming in on the table in the Drop ship adding a flamer. It was later painted green, and then black to be used in A3 (and possible green again?). Although A3 didn’t require the use of the GL the weapons department had to convert it to a fully functioning SMG/GL in case some one in the production decided to change his mind (SF&Fantasy FX issue 48). It can be seen in a You tube clip test firing the shotgun and SMG.

5) Ten Holer. 10 - hole
Not much to say here. This has a semi functioning ammo counter and a ten hole vent. Shotgun choke has to smaller “screws” on top and bottom of the big one. Both SMG and GL is working here.

And yes it corresponds with the number of Heroes seen in the Sulaco rack and on the continuity picture of the “Frost table”.

/Jonsey

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3