The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: APS CAM870 or PPS M870?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:00 pm 

Hi there!

I'm finally getting around to continuing my PR build. Unfortunately, I just noticed that the bolt plate of my Maruzen M870 has broken and I seem to have lost a few parts of the gun altogether. I blame moving into a new apartment for all these setbacks... :evil:

Sooo, now I need a new M870 shotgun. Since Real Steel is out of the question, I am looking for the next best thing. Now I know a lot of people say that the CAM870 is the next best thing, but I'm not so sure about that. I've also cast my eye on the PPS M870. Unfortunately, it looks like the internet has collectively decided not to compare these both shotguns, and if there is ever a comparison, it is regarding the accuracy or skirmishability etc., none of which I care for. I only care for the following factors:

1. Accuracy to the real thing (external, not shooting accuracy)
  2. Function (I want the shell to be loaded by a bolt, not just hidden by a fake bolt like with the Maruzen)
  3. Durability (I don't want to replace the shotgun any time soon in the future, even if I decide to rack some M40 grenades regularly. :D
  4. (Use of existing M40 grenades, if possible)

A lot of this speaks for the CAM870, however the bolt is waaaay off looks-wise: the shell extractor doesn't look anything like the real M870, and the new "generation 2" bolt on the newer CAM870 has an ugly slot right along the side (look at that thing). I have however heard good things about build quality and durability. There is however a hefty price tag.

The PPS only has a plastic bolt, but there is a replacement bolt made of aluminum (see here). However, I have heard conflicting reports on the externals as well as build quality, i.e. they are said to be prone to jams and that racking shells is not a much fun (the racking action is supposed to be a bit "stiff"). Others however say that the externals are on par or even better than on the CAM870, and racking about the same.

Is there anyone who has held both of these guns in their hands or could address some of the concerns for one of the guns? That would help a lot!

Thanks in advance for any replies!
Cheers!
Roman

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:29 am 

Service Number: A12/TQ0.0.52149E1
had both the APS is of Superior build quality and feel with fantastic after market support. it's impractical if you want to airsoft with it. the PPS is more practical for airsoft and can be picked up for a third of the price but after market sucks i have broken PPS and can't get replacement parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:44 pm 

Service Number: A11/TQ2.0.92142G1
I have a pps which i am in the process of putting in my pr. I dont agree with the racking not being enjoyable, its alot of fun. It does need oiling to keep the action smooth though. The externals are fine but some of the internals are cheep pot metal. I have a part that has broken in the bolt but it still works (have a new aluminium bolt on order). Also the hammer could do with being swapped out for the metal one as it bends out of shape.
I am happy with mine and it will be fine to be used in the pr. I couldnt afford or couldnt warrant cutting up the more expensive aps shotgun.

Post subject: Re: APS CAM870 or PPS M870?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:50 pm 
Got a big ass gun and a can-do attitude

I've gone the other route and am fitting a APS ca m870 i wanted a backyard firing pulse so it's underslung with a snow wolf in a modified snow wolf shroud but metal spas cage. I've sprayed the aps shells silver so they look a little more grenade like. So far had no problems with fitting it into a real spas cage, agreed the slot in the bolts a bit poo, but on the plus side i've had no problems welding onto the racking mechanism so its good steel and it does cycle and sound really sweet. Dunno if this helps?

Post subject: Re: APS CAM870 or PPS M870?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:45 pm 

Hi guys!

Thanks for your replies. I gathered that the APS CAM870 is a really solid gun, whereas the PPS M870 has solid externals and is equally much fun, but does not offer too much aftermarket support. Still, since I'm not planning on using it for skirmishing, both remained valid options.

So today I was able to go a local airsoft store to try and check both guns out:

• I was able to handle the APS and it really is a great gun! I instantly loved it, even though it wasn't THAT much of a leap from my old Maruzen M870 (with all metal aftermarket parts, of course). Biggest difference was the "working" bolt as opposed to the Maruzen fake bolt. It is a fantastic thing, even though the racking sound isn't as "clicky" as it was on the Maruzen. Must be due to the APS bolt being a single piece.
  • Unfortunately, the PPS seems to be out of stock permanently, so I didn't have an opportunity to test it. Too bad, I was looking forward to compare the externals...

Welp, since it was my birthday recently and I got a discount coupon from the store, I was able to snag the APS for a good price. Now to get a replacement bolt... hmm.

Thanks everybody for your input!
Cheers!
Roman