The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:24 pm 

CrashDown wrote:
Great work Rich - watching with interest, i'd love to be able to retire the MR tracker to its display case and use this!

Just thinking aloud about power and on/off buttons, there's various locations on the tracker i can think of that may work (although some would be practical only on a real parts or MR one)

1) The Hama Self timer box (the pill box) on the left side of the tracker hinges and opens - could put the power port and on/off button inside?
2) The shutter release and darkroom lamp have working buttons.
3) The small knob on the base of the tracker - power port here, and the knob with a 'false' plug on - so you remove the knob to charge, and replace the knob after.
4) The flashgun meters - hide the ports and button under one of these, secure with magnets?

some really good ideas there. thanks for sharing. My current problem is that I've gone down the route of trying to do this without too much thought about power. I've therefore bought one of these to power the unit:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1

it works really well but doesn't give me the option to wire a remote switch into it. i'll have to do some more research but a quick google revealed this, which I could probably use a smaller lipo battery with and wire in a remote switch and charge point.

https://blog.adafruit.com/2015/12/18/ho ... aspberypi/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:06 am 
I CAME IN LIKE A WRECKING BALL...

Service Number: A12/TQ2.0.82145E1
You could always open the USB cable that runs from the battery pack to the Pi, and connect a simple switch/button to the red power wire (USB should have 4 wires from memory, positive 5v, earth and two data). then you could run usb 'extension' cable (male and female) from the charger 'in' to wherever you want, along with the switch.

"There are very few problems that cannot be solved through a suitable application of high explosives."

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:51 pm 

CrashDown wrote:
You could always open the USB cable that runs from the battery pack to the Pi, and connect a simple switch/button to the red power wire (USB should have 4 wires from memory, positive 5v, earth and two data). then you could run usb 'extension' cable (male and female) from the charger 'in' to wherever you want, along with the switch.

That's a pretty good idea. I'll look into it further

Post subject: Re: motion tracker for raspberry pi
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:37 pm 

Hi all,

Is there any information regarding who in the aliens universe would have manufactured the motion tracker? Armat, Weyland Corp, Arious??? (manufacturer of the alien isolation tracker)

I like the idea of having a boot screen for the tracker that displays a manufacturer (maybe animated). I started off by breaking up the weyland yutani logo for animation but got to thinking if anyone here has more info?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:43 pm 
'Nuff said.

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
I plan on having a charging port like my light sabers. I am looking at the cell phone power banks. I have a large Iron Man knock off that was super cheap and would fit in the housing.

Thanks!

Greg

UKCM
Shoot first, think never.
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:29 pm 

had a truly terrible weekend trying to miniaturise the project. bought a load of DuPont connectors but none of them would attach to any of the components. while i'm waiting for some inspiration I've gone back to what I know and added some start up screens while the program initialises.

hope you like them (assuming we're all happy the WY builds motion trackers :) )

https://youtu.be/HN0AJ2iwPms

let me know what you think

cheers

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:36 pm 

I always figured WY made them, too. I was making a nameplate for the bottom of my Kango handle with their logo on it as well :)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:10 pm 

veektohr wrote:
I always figured WY made them, too. I was making a nameplate for the bottom of my Kango handle with their logo on it as well :)

I can't find any reference on the web to a manufacturer of the tracker in the aliens universe. Kind of assume that WY are as likely as anyone else to manufacture them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:17 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
I threw out an idea a while back (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16038&hilit=kango+jobo) about making a company name by combining the initials for Kango, Jobo and Hama as those are the primary source companies for the components. Weyland-Yutani is fine, but it makes the universe kinda small when *everything* has their name on it.

Last edited by retrogarde on Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:36 pm 

retrogarde wrote:
I threw out an idea a while back (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=16038&hilit=kango+jobo) about making a company name by combining the initials for Kang, Jobo and Hama as those are the primary source companies for the components. Weyland-Yutani is fine, but it makes the universe kinda small when *everything* has their name on it.

actually a really nice idea. I like it a lot. I agree that Weyland-Yutani is an easy out with respect to who made it. I don't think that it would be Armat but then again a major defence contractor might well make such items.

I kinda like the idea that the company mentioned in alien isolation (Arious) could be involved as well.

Attachment:
tracker.png
tracker.png [ 408.24 KiB | Viewed 8838 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:37 pm 
'Nuff said.

Service Number: A08/TQ0.0.12146E1
Thought I saw a manufacturer name on a plaque before on ebay. Cannot recall off hand. Only thing I know is the model number. M314 Motion Tracker.

Thanks!

Greg

UKCM
Shoot first, think never.
Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.
SMMFD
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:45 pm 

gman666 wrote:
Thought I saw a manufacturer name on a plaque before on ebay. Cannot recall off hand. Only thing I know is the model number. M314 Motion Tracker.

Thanks!

Greg

Probably armat or wy I would guess. Should get one for my pulse rifle really

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:07 am 
Prop Churner Outer

I like using the Isolation company name too.

should the startup screen look a bit like the Sentry Gun terminals? Not the color but the layout?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 am 

retrogarde wrote:
I like using the Isolation company name too.

should the startup screen look a bit like the Sentry Gun terminals? Not the color but the layout?

yes it could possibly look a bit like that. i'll have a look

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:00 am 

how about this:

Attachment:
icon.png
icon.png [ 23.1 KiB | Viewed 8789 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:13 pm 

and this

https://youtu.be/c5nuOMDZv3o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:44 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Neat!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:21 pm 
They mostly come at night... mostly.

I'm really interested in this thread. Great work Rich!

I read you may be releasing the source code once it's done, so I might have a play about with that, if it happens. What's it written in? I made a Sentry Gun program, but that was made on my Amiga in AMOS Pro many years ago, so it needs an emulator to work on modern PCs.

Regarding the startup anim, I guess if you let us know the file name and format, we can either create our own and put it where it needs to be, or you could supply a few you have made and we can rename whichever one we want on the Pi. We could share them here if people make others.

This may just make me finally finish my MT. I got as far as needing the pump, then stopped.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:34 pm 

necronom wrote:
I'm really interested in this thread. Great work Rich!

I read you may be releasing the source code once it's done, so I might have a play about with that, if it happens. What's it written in? I made a Sentry Gun program, but that was made on my Amiga in AMOS Pro many years ago, so it needs an emulator to work on modern PCs.

Regarding the startup anim, I guess if you let us know the file name and format, we can either create our own and put it where it needs to be, or you could supply a few you have made and we can rename whichever one we want on the Pi. We could share them here if people make others.

This may just make me finally finish my MT. I got as far as needing the pump, then stopped.

Hi it's written in python using the pygame library. Nice language to code in.

Yes I'll be putting up on github when I'm satisfied with it. There is scope for swapping out images as I'm just loading and displaying a sequence of images at run time.

Loved your sentry gun program by the way.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:49 pm 

finally got a bit more done after a long weekend away.

https://youtu.be/DCb7LjMxQdA

I wanted to do a kind of proof of concept by moving everything off of my prototyping board. So as you can see it's all looking a lot more feasible now.

I'm moving on to trying to configure my raspberry pi zero now. This is going to require some soldering as well as a full install of all of the operating software. ughhhh. I also have some hopefully neat cable coming to connect the pi to the lcd screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:10 pm 
They mostly come at night... mostly.

That's looking great!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:13 pm 

ok, so I've really been able to cut the project down to size now.

Attachment:
tracker1.jpg
tracker1.jpg [ 65.57 KiB | Viewed 8606 times ]

Attachment:
tracker2.jpg
tracker2.jpg [ 63.91 KiB | Viewed 8606 times ]

it's pretty tight in there with the battery I have. I might try and get a smaller one. I need to figure out how to mount all of this now but I'm hopeful my 3d printer will help with this. my main worry now is with sound. I am hoping to get a small Bluetooth speaker in the casing but i'm not sure it'll fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:47 pm 

I think a bracket could be printed that sits where the rubber gasket is on the Kango that would include a small mounting lattice inside to mount the Pi to. It would make it secure with minimal-to-no hot glue, and more critically - no unnecessary drilling into the housing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:53 pm 

veektohr wrote:
I think a bracket could be printed that sits where the rubber gasket is on the Kango that would include a small mounting lattice inside to mount the Pi to. It would make it secure with minimal-to-no hot glue, and more critically - no unnecessary drilling into the housing.

Hi, yes I reckon that's the way to go. I need to spend a bit of time installing the software on the pi now to make sure it all works ok but i'm getting there.

I have had a couple of ideas about how to miniaturise the whole thing so it'll fit in the hama viewer but I don't want to get too carried away until I know it'll work. Parts on order :)

cheers

Rich

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:31 pm 
You tell me man, I only work here.

I don't mind helping developing printed bracket options.

I have all the parts to build a tracker.

Looking pretty good!

My only suggestion would be drop the WY part in the start up screen.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next