The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Snow wolf/matrix Pulse rifle upgrades
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:55 am 

I'm in the process of improving the look of my snow wolf pulse rifle with the usual repaint and grenade replacement. This has got me wondering if anyone has taken the upgrades far beyond this?

I did a little search and dug up some old threads which tantalisingly mention 3D printed mods and working moscart powered grensde launchers! Unfortunately these seem to be archived or something as the formatting is odd and the pics don't work :(

I'd love to see some more ambitious mods if anyone still around here has done any :)

Post subject: Re: Snow wolf/matrix Pulse rifle upgrades
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:20 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
I assume you would want to retain the full functionality. That makes more extreme changes a bit difficult. I have had two over the years, so I have tried a couple things from low key to fairly extreme.

Some very simple things I did to my first Matrix pulse:
-Repaint. All of it. Shroud, barrel, vent, GL, the works.
-A spat grenade (as you already are planning)
-Move the barrel vent forward. There is a slot in the top of the GL where the Vent's tab sticks into. Just cut out that slot to be 1/4" longer so the vent can slide forward and close that huge innacurate gap between the vent and triangle. Either epoxy it in place or fill in 1/4" on the rear to keep it from sliding around.
-Fill in the rear hole on the vent. I glued a plastic sheet on the inside to cover it up. On the real one that rear circle on the barrel vent was not a 'hole' but rather an indention. After the plate is glued on to the inside and it is painted, it looks like the indentation.

Attachment:
Matrix vent mod.jpg
Matrix vent mod.jpg [ 188.42 KiB | Viewed 26764 times ]

The second one I got a bit more extreme because I essentially just wanted to use the shrouds and gutted all internals for lightweight parts. My focus was modding the proportions on that one:
-I cut down and rounded the area behind the rear pillar (this will disabled the factory stock adjustment, but I thought looked better)
-I removed the metal "tabs"/trapazoids, filled in the hole with bondo, and epoxied in more accurate shapes in a more accurate position.
-I cut out about a half inch of material in the shroud mag area over the counter board and reattached to make it shorter.

Attachment:
20150608_191041.jpg
20150608_191041.jpg [ 324.55 KiB | Viewed 26764 times ]

I pretty much gutted everything including installing a smaller board. I don't know that you would have to gut everything. You may be able to do that shroud mod and just modify the existing board and plate the board is mounted to, but I didnt try.

I was much happier with the look of the shrouds in that case, but again, I was focused on gutting the inside and cutting weight, not preserving air soft abilities. So I don't know how far you can push it and keep skirmishing abilities.
Attachment:
20150617_190827.jpg
20150617_190827.jpg [ 447.42 KiB | Viewed 26764 times ]

More details in the shroud mod are found in this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15500&hilit=stunt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:16 pm 

Wow your mods really did improve the look of it! It's actually not obvious that the shrouds are from a snow wolf at first glance! You are right though I am trying to keep it as functional as possible as having a pulse I can actually fire is part of the fun for me. I have a lot of props which just sit on the shelf and do nothing so it makes a pleasant change to have one that can be used kind of like you see on screen :)

That kind of rules out the cut down mag well and I'd like to keep the working stock so I may come back to that later. I'm thinking that if I decide to fit a steel stock down the line I can address changing the mechanism, and in turn accurizing the shrouds then. I'll be following your method if I do as it looks spot on. The barrel vents are something I'd like to sort out so thanks for the tip on moving it forwards.

I'm looking at ways to get the grenade launcher working as "does it fire grenades" is bound to be the first question I get when unpacking the Pulse at an airsoft site! I'm looking at two potential methods, either using the shotgun shells from a co2 CAM870, or a moscart shell.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:18 pm 
You tell me man, I only work here.

This baby is over 10 years old.

G+P kit over a marui thompson + remington trigger assy firing 27mm CAW grenade + SD studio vent/stock parts + under barrel red laser

Many 3d printed parts before 3d printing was "cool"

Added a few more bits since then.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:35 pm 

That's amazing i'm beyond impressed! The 3d printed parts take it to the next level- you've improved the looks AND the functionality with the working grenade launcher and new stock locking mechanism. Is that a custom made holder for the light gate I see in the barrel triangle too? I wish I had the skills and a 3D printer!

The only bit on mine the same is the red tinted counter! I did just order some mag bases from you on ebay so that's something :) Do you have any more pics of how you installed the grenade launcher? It looks quite complicated. Is it re-loadable or do you re-charge it in situ? I'd like to do a similar setup in mine (albeit a little more crudely executed I would imagine!), and i'd like to retain the pump action, and if I can, the battery up front without resorting to a battery sling.

Sorry about all the questions!! :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:27 pm 
Buy It Now

I modded a bunch of stuff on my Snow Wolf. Spas cage was replaced with a real one, added a JW Tulsa ten hole vent, resculpted the horrible square end caps on the shroud, replaced the counter with a Majenko wired to the gearbox and added a sling ring on the stock.

I made an aluminium grenade on the lathe, which I wanted to function as the shotgun shell does in the Snow Wolf. Since I replaced the grenade launcher with a real Spas, I had to create a custom mechanism so the pump slides back to show the grenade, and to hold the batteries. Added GL trigger.

Finally the shroud was resprayed with a BB matched paint, a red acylic window added to the counter, and I added a Noble mag-base lock, modified so the black tabs are located on the shround and not the base.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:17 am 

That's nice :)

How difficult did you find fitting the real spas to the snow wolf? Am I right in saying the genuine article is bigger than the plastic snow wolf version? The other daunting aspect of the real steel cage for me would be the all the cutting required of ports etc, how did you get on with this?

I'm glad I started this thread. Three stunning PR's each with a different approach to their upgrades- keep em coming!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:58 am 
Got a big ass gun and a can-do attitude

Looks like i'm going to have to try some of these mods on my snow wolf pulse rifle. Last time i tried taking it apart i took out all the screws i could see but it still wouldn't part, but must admit didn't try too hard as i didn't wanna break owt. So question is, is their some small screws i missed or are the two halves glued, clipped or just stiff to part, or was i wimping it?
Any help would be appreciated as i really like the grenade mod. I bought my pulsey new so anything done was done in the factory.

Cheers,

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:56 am 

Shelby- The shrouds have five steel pins holding them together which need to be gently prised apart. Take care as it's easy to do damage to the soft plastic of the shrouds.

My now seemingly rare 27mm moscart arrived in the post today (i decided that the shotgun shells weren't ideal as you need to keep buying replacement caps and paper plugs). Just offered it up to the GL to see how it looks size wise.

Ok so it won't fit through the front opening as it is

But fits inside if you open up the GL casing

Not much room inside though for a trigger mechanism; and the ejection port slide won't have room to slide fully closed

That's as far forward as it goes!

Looks like this may be quite tricky to do! Obviously the racking mechanism will have to be moved or replaced altogether to make room. I'm hoping Noble chimes in with a few tips at this point!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:25 pm 
Buy It Now

Damster117 wrote:
That's nice :)

How difficult did you find fitting the real spas to the snow wolf? Am I right in saying the genuine article is bigger than the plastic snow wolf version? The other daunting aspect of the real steel cage for me would be the all the cutting required of ports etc, how did you get on with this?

I'm glad I started this thread. Three stunning PR's each with a different approach to their upgrades- keep em coming!

The spas actually fits in okay, I don't recall having to cut anything back. I didn't have to worry about cutting the ports as it was had already been modified when I received it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:42 pm 

Oh right, so the shroud halts still close together around the GL ok?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:14 pm 
Moderator & screen used

Service Number: A08/TQ1.0.02136E1
FYI I've moved this thread into the correct section now.

Harry

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:41 pm 
Buy It Now

Damster117 wrote:
Oh right, so the shroud halts still close together around the GL ok?

Yup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:30 pm 
Got a big ass gun and a can-do attitude

Cheers Damster will look out for those :) Keep posting your upgrades she's coming on nice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:59 am 

Service Number: A11/TQ0.0.42132E1 S
I have a Matrix pulse rifle. So how do you get the orange tips off of both barrels? Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:02 am 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Heat and pressure.

Just pressure works too, but it's easier with a heat gun ( or hair dryer)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:40 pm 

Quote:
I'm hoping Noble chimes in with a few tips at this point!

I can post some picts, probably on the weekend.

I can definitely help by offering the 3d printed parts holding the grenade.

You would need to fabric a trigger to activate the grenade.

The good thing about using these moscarts, the thompson battery can fit below it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:47 pm 

Thanks I'd really appreciate seeing how you did it, and I'd definitely be interested in some 3D printed goodies :) please Pm me price etc

Glad to hear that there's space for the battery as its going to be a bit cramped in there! Is it best to modify an airsoft 870 trigger mech for the grenade launcher?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:27 am 
Veni, vidi, bibi cerevisia

Service Number: A04/TQ1.0.52130E1
shelby wrote:
Looks like i'm going to have to try some of these mods on my snow wolf pulse rifle. Last time i tried taking it apart i took out all the screws i could see but it still wouldn't part, but must admit didn't try too hard as i didn't wanna break owt. So question is, is their some small screws i missed or are the two halves glued, clipped or just stiff to part, or was i wimping it?
Any help would be appreciated as i really like the grenade mod. I bought my pulsey new so anything done was done in the factory.
Cheers,

When I took apart my Snow Wolf PR, I had the same problem even though I had read a number of threads on here about how to take it apart. There are a number of metal pins that are just a bitch to pry apart - in previous threads they called them "rolling pins" but I didn't find anything rolling about them. I just kept persevering and prying up a little bit of a time on all the sections of the PR until I finally got the two halves to separate - I did cause some blemishes on a couple of sections, but that wasn't a big deal as I was able to fill them in with spot putty and sand them before re-painting. Good luck!

stlrammer wrote:
I have a Matrix pulse rifle. So how do you get the orange tips off of both barrels? Any suggestions?

It sounds like they might have added additional pins to prevent the removal of the orange rings; if this is case you'll have to use a drill to remove the pins from the barrel, otherwise paint over them, as there isn't anything else you can do. Drill the pins out or live with the rings. Sorry I didn't have any better help/news than that, but that's the way it goes.

scoff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:03 pm 

Moscart is friction fitted to 3d print part.

This is the rear plate that the moscart sets on.
Center firing pin is linked to a modified rem870 trigger assy via RC plane control rod.

Modified side rail of spas pump

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:51 am 

That's really neat custom work Noble! Thanks for posting the pics. It looks very useable in the field as it were too- battery space looks to better than stock as well. I'd definitely be interested in the printed parts if you're still up for offering them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:19 am 

One question though, what does the modified spas pump connect to now there's no tube in there to rack as it were? I can just make out a mechanism attached to it on the inside of the GL.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:15 pm 

The pump is connected to a home-made bolt.

I don't have a dummy grenade in there.

I can take some close picts of it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:15 am 

I love to see the pics :) I'm going to have to keep a look out for a cheapie 870 to gut for a trigger mech and bits for a "bolt" to replace the stock alu tube one for this conversion then.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:15 am 

birdie wrote:
I modded a bunch of stuff on my Snow Wolf. Spas cage was replaced with a real one, added a JW Tulsa ten hole vent, resculpted the horrible square end caps on the shroud, replaced the counter with a Majenko wired to the gearbox and added a sling ring on the stock.

I made an aluminium grenade on the lathe, which I wanted to function as the shotgun shell does in the Snow Wolf. Since I replaced the grenade launcher with a real Spas, I had to create a custom mechanism so the pump slides back to show the grenade, and to hold the batteries. Added GL trigger.

Finally the shroud was resprayed with a BB matched paint, a red acylic window added to the counter, and I added a Noble mag-base lock, modified so the black tabs are located on the shround and not the base.

How did you wire up the mejenko ammo counter unit? I just purchased one myself and am in the process of installing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated good sir :) Also where in the heck did you find a 10 hole vent??? You lucky devil!