The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: Colony Light
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:12 am 

Hello all
Haven't posted in a while here but have been lurking around. Just watched Aliens for the bazillinth time and started surfing Ebay determined to find the light Ripley and Bishp were using and lo and behold just scored one on a buy it now! It's a Brinkmann model 5 in one from 1977 and it is in working order! Picked it up for 30 bucks total! Been looking for one for a long time. It also has a smooth top and bottom. I'm like a kid at Christmas now can't wait to see it in person. Has the exact model ever been found? Did I pay too much?

image.jpg
image.jpg [ 41.05 KiB | Viewed 11584 times ]

image.jpg
image.jpg [ 84.27 KiB | Viewed 11584 times ]

image.jpg
image.jpg [ 31.35 KiB | Viewed 11584 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:56 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Service Number: A02/TQ2.0.52141E1
Hello - Sounds like a great price to me... This IS the model as I understand. I've just used mine this weekend on a camping trip!

"Errr... Roger that's a 2-1-6..."

Post subject: Re: Colony Light
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:38 pm 

Thanks that makes me happy!
This is the type they used or the exact model or brand name? I thought it was a ge model they used? The one I bought says Brinkmann and has five settings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:06 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Yes mine is identical to that... I thought it was this model... Just rewired so the side and main bulb came on together...

Last edited by ilovethecorps on Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:26 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
propmainiac wrote:
Thanks that makes me happy!
This is the type they used or the exact model or brand name? I thought it was a ge model they used? The one I bought says Brinkmann and has five settings.

I think it is still a bit up in the air exactly what brand/model. Harry's site makes a reference to the originals having 4-functions, but most known examples of this style of light have had more than that.

-The "GE" ones are nearly identical but have the ribbed ends, where the screen ones had smooth ends.
-A "Uniross" one was found by a member not long ago. It was nearly identical to the GE with the "ribbed" ends.
-The one Sgt. Burton has was a "Signal" brand light with a 6-function switch (model SA-100), but it did have the smooth ends. .
-Your Brinkmann seems to be the closest yet! Smooth ends and 5-function.

Regardless GREAT FIND!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:44 pm 

Ok bad news onthe light im afraid. The seller contacted me and can't find the light! Are you kidding me?! Any ebay auctions I've done I had the item boxed up and ready to ship after I list it. They asked for another day to look for it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:41 am 

Good news the seller found the light and will ship tomorrow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:55 pm 

Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 11319 times ]
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.33 MiB | Viewed 11319 times ]
Hi all
Just got the light and its a beaut! Excellent condition! Plastic lenses are not scratched or clouded up. It's very clean. Haven't out batteries in it but I will. Even the strap is in great shape. Does anybody know if it was painted for the film and I recall a tutorial somewhere on how to reword it but can't find it. Here's pics.

image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.96 MiB | Viewed 11319 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:10 am 

Hello again
Does anyone have any info on how to wire this light to make the spotlight light and the flourescent light turn on at the same time? Been looking around but haven't found much info. Any help apreciated.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:40 am 
You tell me man, I only work here.

http://www.spatcave.com/flashlight.htm

From old member Sgt. Draino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:11 pm 

Thanks for the link. Very informative. I'm not sure if I understand why a separate switch is needed. dosent the flouresent light run off the same voltage as the other lights? Don't really want to drill a hole in it if I don't have to.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:46 pm 
You tell me man, I only work here.

You don't have to install the switch.

The link mainly helps ID the terminals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:44 am 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

As an aside, I don't think we ever see the reverse side of the flashlight in the film, do we? As in the side with the amber/red lights and the switch? Do they tape them over to obscure them?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:09 pm 

I don't think they coverd the red and Amber lens. As dark as most of the film was I doubt very much they would've showed. The light from the fluorescent tube would most likely wash out the colored lenses on the film. Just my opinion.n

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:38 pm 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Another thing... Are the torches items carried in by the USCM? Bishop and Ripley carry them... I had always assumed they'd taken them in from the APC... I know we refer to them as 'colony flashlight' but are they supposed to be picked up from the colony?

I got mine thanks to Noble! It's great, actually and I use it when I take the family camping!

Didn't they also modify them with a big spotlight bulb out the front of the flashlight?

Obviously, by modern standards, the light thrown off the 'searchlight' as it is referred to on the switch is a joke... Especially considering the 6 D cells! Anyone got any ideas to beef it up? An LED bulb perhaps?

I also have a MATSUO shoulder lamp I'd like to beef up...

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:50 am 
Lifer

ilovethecorps wrote:
Another thing... Are the torches items carried in by the USCM? Bishop and Ripley carry them... I had always assumed they'd taken them in from the APC... I know we refer to them as 'colony flashlight' but are they supposed to be picked up from the colony?

Couple of observations-

-A couple of members of the "salvage team" that finds the Narcissus at the beginning of the film are seen carrying the "colony lamp." The main team member has a large torch (looking much like a diver's torch), the two background characters have colony lamps.

-When Russ and Anne Jorden (Newt's parents) go to check out the Derelict they are using the colony lamp--- also when they first enter the Derelict, the side of the lamp with the amber and red lenses can be clearly seen- the prop department didn't cover the lenses with black tape or anything.

The first instance of our "heroes" carrying the colony lamp is the scene in which Gorman first enters the colony at the South Lock, and is carried by Bishop. Bishop had to have gotten his from the APC as they had just entered the colony and had not actually picked the lamp up from within the colony itself yet.

So going on this...

I don't believe that the colony lamp is used "exclusively" by the USCM. If anything the colony lamp is basically your standard civilian flashlight like a maglight. While it makes sense that they would have a couple of these onboard the APC, "Marines" themselves wouldn't have to carry one as their gear includes shoulder lamps. I could however see officers (such as Gorman) and of course non USCM team members carrying them.

While it is easy to call it a "colony lamp" really we should be calling it a civilian flashlight... Colony lamp just sounds cooler. :wink:

Kevin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:14 am 
Proceed on a 2-1-6...

Great observations thank you SSgt Burton... Yet another excuse to watch the Blu Ray... Like I need one of course.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:57 pm 

I agree colony light does sound cooler. If it's In the APC then wouldn't it be a military item? would it have a military designation then? Working on a way to display mine and would like to call it something other than colony light.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:00 am 

I was thinking some kind of led conversion for the spotlight part if not too complicated. Don't want to wreck the thing. Lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:07 am 

Service Number: A10/TQ0.0.82146E1
Necropost! :lol:

With some time on my hands [not really, I should be working!], I've finally sorting out some of the 50 odd half started project I've got kicking about.

One of these is the switch mod for my Colony Light.

Following the excellent How-To wiring guide linked earlier in this thread, I disassembled my light and did the business. Job done, I thought.
Attachment:
Take 1.jpg
Take 1.jpg [ 1.35 MiB | Viewed 5063 times ]

At this point, I should mention that a) soldering is not a skill I excel at, and b) quite excitingly, as I was about to solder on the second wire [the red one], the hot ‘bit’ decided to fall out of my $10 soldering iron, and into the plastic torch housing[!!!] Moving quickly, the offending bit was dropped out of the torch (and onto our kitchen bench). No harm done (to the light) thankfully.

The wife was less than impressed with the bench top however, but as we’re planning to renovating the kitchen one day, she deemed that no “tough-love” was necessary (that, and I’d given her a reasonably stiff G&T just before explaining about my ‘handiwork” … )
Attachment:
20200404_175128a.jpg
20200404_175128a.jpg [ 1.32 MiB | Viewed 5063 times ]

Right, so, as I said, job done. I had to wait a couple of days till I could get batteries (which was slightly maddening) … what uses D cells?!?!!?

Time passes.

Days later, batteries purchased, and torch testing begins …. hmmm … ok, so now none of the lights work unless I’ve got the switch in the ON position … weird.
I’ve no multimeter (cause I wouldn’t know how to drive one), so what to do? Project shelved for a few days and then, brainwave!

The eagle-eyed among you will have noticed my error [read: F*** UP!]. I put this down to possibly being a bit flustered after almost setting the kitchen on fire (the nerve-calming G&Ts came later [Kids: don’t drink and solder!])

Take #2
YUSS! A working [correctly] Colony Light!

BUT, I’m not happy with those wires, they’re too long. Also, what to do with the switch? There’s bugger all space at the end of the torch.
Attachment:
20200409_161502.jpg
20200409_161502.jpg [ 870.11 KiB | Viewed 5062 times ]

2nd brainwave – mount the switch inside the red light housing (and shorten the wires).
Attachment:
Take 2ish.jpg
Take 2ish.jpg [ 1.62 MiB | Viewed 5062 times ]

Now, all sorted. Job done!
Attachment:
20200409_161819.jpg
20200409_161819.jpg [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 5063 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:37 pm 
THAT guy

Service Number: A03/TQ2.0.02146E1
Nice! This is also on my to-do list very soon. I have been toying with the idea of using rechargeable laptop 18650 cells in place of the Ds.
The Ds are just so cumbersome. But then again it isn't like I am using this light....ever. Should probably just play it safe and use the Ds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:57 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Excellent! Lucky find on the smooth ends.