The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject: CDRose: Portfolio Piece - Hadley's Hope Corridor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:21 pm 

Hey everyone!

I'm a game environment artist looking to start my career in the games industry, I've just started working on a new portfolio piece which is going to be the interior of Hadley's Hope, I know a Sci-Fi corridor is very cliche but hey, I love Aliens!

Anyway first sub-piece of the interior is the corridors. I have a thread here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14831 that I have been posting my research in.

I want to make it exactly to scale. It will be used in the Unreal Engine 4 game engine and I'm currently at the stage of blocking out and getting scale correct. I have posted an image of my progress so far but it has been difficult eye-balling dimensions and scale. So far I have worked from the floor tiles (aka Plastic Cargo Pallets) which I've worked out to be 120cm x 80cm, from here I have eyed the rest of the corridor.

If anyone can help then please do, I'm ideally looking for measurements of things and your opinions on how things are looking. The biped is 182cm tall which is the same height as Ripley.

Thanks in advanced and I will be keeping my progress here
Cheers,
Chris

Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg [ 739.48 KiB | Viewed 7886 times ]

Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-1.jpg [ 729.17 KiB | Viewed 7886 times ]

Untitled-3.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg [ 249.76 KiB | Viewed 7886 times ]

Untitled-4.jpg
Untitled-4.jpg [ 585.19 KiB | Viewed 7886 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:25 am 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
Wishing I could help and watching with great interest!

Good luck to you and please keep us all updated on your progress, it's looking pretty good so far!

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:17 pm 

Thanks Moosh89, I've done some more blocking, decided that I'm never going to be able to be 100% accurate to the cm in terms of scale but will have to do everything else by eye. Anyway this is my progress so far :)

As you can see in the image I had to re-create a new panel piece shown in purple as this one is slightly different to the larger wall panel pieces that I noticed no one else has really referenced or pointed out. There is yet some depth to be added to the "purple" panels and they will not be placed along with the other "Backs of TV's" pieces as shown in this image, I just added everything in together here.... I will make sense once I have everything blocked out lol

Untitled-5.jpg
Untitled-5.jpg [ 503.72 KiB | Viewed 7765 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:18 pm 
Mobile Mayhem

Service Number: A10/TQ1.O.32157E1
Incredible work! May I ask what program you are using for modelling? Looks familiar
*Edit* I've just read your blog, now I know ! Great stuff!!

Your attention to detail is great! A quality that great developers have!

I use Blender but I am still very new to modelling and have only made a few small things myself. I do want to get UE4 and possibly ZBrush someday soon! I too want to get into some form of game design, although I think more into the creative aspect of "how the game should play", "story", etc... But I think having a good understanding of modelling is important and will be useful to try out ideas with

Read the AL Charter Rules & Regulations: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i3gd9QUyIqI_6rfk8kpxspbKU-JT4MBAjLPxfCkvGJ8