The discussion of the Alien series of films and the props used in them is the aim, but if it's got Big Bugs and Big Guns, then they are welcome too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:11 pm 

Is that artwork going to be the cover?

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:31 am 

Andymac84 wrote:
Is that artwork going to be the cover?

Yep:

Attachment:
Sea_of_Sorrows_Cover.jpg
Sea_of_Sorrows_Cover.jpg [ 24.78 KiB | Viewed 8831 times ]

The book's already out: http://www.amazon.de/Alien-Sorrows-Nove ... 1781162700

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:07 am 

Leigh Burne: Truly glad you enjoyed the book! And your guess is absolutely right!
Retrogarde: Yeah, they pushed that on the book cover, but really, it's not that big a thing and ONLY works with one particular cluster of aliens. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:17 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
I'm a hundred pages in and enjoying it quite a bit. The definitive answer on the Arcturians (page 95-96) was great as that's been a debate for ages.

From the back cover blurb I was worried that the aliens were going to be psychically linked across time and space and still be sore about LV-426, Fiorina and the fight on the Auriga. Making it localized to the New Galveston hive not only makes sense, but gives that story more weight. I'm still kind of "meh" about the need to always tie it to Ripley, but it certainly isn't getting in the way of an enjoyable read.

I have to ask though, was there a point where your story was set after Alien3 instead of after A:R? It's all coming together quite nicely, but I just feel like it could easily have been set in 2180 instead of 2497.

Post subject: Re: Alien: Sea of Sorrows excerpt
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:56 pm 

In fact it was originally planned that the book would ignore ALIEN 3 and ALIEN RESURRECTION. At that point Fox was very seriously contemplating just pretending that the whole third and fourth movies never existed. I was HAPPY to add them back in because, as flawed as the movies might be, I like parts of both.

I can't for the life of me remember how to add a picture here, but if anyone is interested, Alejandro Colucci, a phenomenal artist who worked on the covers of a couple of my other books, did a mock up of SEA OF SORROWS for me while we were discussing wring together on other projects. If you want to see the really GORGEOUS work he came up with as a cover, please follow the link. http://genrefied.blogspot.com/2014/08/alien-sea-of-sorrows-other-cover.html

And I am, again, TRULY delighted that you're enjoying the story so far. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:26 pm 

Attachment:
Alt SOS Cover.jpg
Alt SOS Cover.jpg [ 296.22 KiB | Viewed 8784 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:24 am 
BUG SPRAY

Service Number: A12/TQ1.0.72141E2
I just finished reading the book. I enjoyed it. Does the next book pick up where this story left off?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:03 am 

Obiwan, no, but there are discussions of continuing the story if the sales are solid enough. I would, of course, LOVE to continue the story. So much to say, so much to do....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:22 pm 

JamesAMoore wrote:
Obiwan, no, but there are discussions of continuing the story if the sales are solid enough. I would, of course, LOVE to continue the story. So much to say, so much to do....

This is good to hear. The next novel is based around LV-426 leading up to Aliens, isn't it? But part of me was hoping there might be a follow up to the story established in your book at some point, because it had a nice open ending (without feeling like a tacky cliffhanger).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:18 am 

I'm hoping to have a solid, productive discussion with the editor regarding continuing the tale. Obviously there are things I'd dearly love to expand on. :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:46 pm 

JamesAMoore wrote:
I'm hoping to have a solid, productive discussion with the editor regarding continuing the tale. Obviously there are things I'd dearly love to expand on. :)

That sounds great. I'd love to hear what comes of it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:35 pm 

Hi James, just curious–at one point early on in the novel, Rollins talks to Decker about Ripley and her daughter creating trouble for Weyland-Yutani: "Ellen Ripley and her daughter both halted attempts to capture and study the Xenomorphs. More importantly, they did so while costing Weyland-Yutani a great deal of money and considerable resources."

Is this mention of Amanda Ripley a reference to the events in the upcoming videogame 'Alien: isolation'?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:27 am 

That's what I assumed it to mean.

I also suspect that the reason the third book is coming out last, despite being chronologically second, is possibly because it will reference the game's events.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:36 am 

Sorry, I've been away at a convention for a few days. Yes, actually. It IS a reference to the forthcoming game.

And, yes, the story will be continued in a series by Tim Lebbon. More on that will be announced later but it should be amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:51 am 

JamesAMoore wrote:
And, yes, the story will be continued in a series by Tim Lebbon. More on that will be announced later but it should be amazing.

Excellent. Although do you mind if I ask why Tim will be doing the books rather than you, seeing as your book was the launch pad for the continuing story...?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:24 pm 
Prop Churner Outer

Service Number: A03/TQ1.0.12143G1
Hi again James! I just finished your book and found it very enjoyable. There were some very satisfying endings for a few characters who deserved it, and the overall tone was very much in keeping with the films. I'm glad to hear the story will continue!

Now: can you share a little insight on Arcturian Klerhaige (page 341)?

I have to admit I expected a certain character who stays on the ship to be revealed as a continuation of Ash from Tim's book. Maybe a little far-fetched, but I thought that was the direction you were heading.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:46 pm 

Hi guys!

The reasons for Tim taking the reins ante many and varied, and in part because he came up with the ideas he'll be playing with.

I seriously toyed with Ash's continuation and it was discussed, but if Ash HAD continued on, ALIENS would have been a very different movie, I suspect.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:46 am 

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=51797.0|